Potential De Gea Replacements

Andersons Dietician

There is only one option and that is Oblak. No one else comes close to filling DeGeas gloves.

Edit: @Schneckerl Lopes is actually a pretty decent shout some of the saves I’ve seen him pull off for Lyon are incredible but I’m not sure he is consistent enough. He would be intresting but has to be Oblak because for me, he and DeGea are the best in the world.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Grant, Romero, Pereira, Henderson. No need to break the bank for a new keeper when we have plenty of options on the bench.

Nickosaur

IF we sell De Gea...

I'd play Romero next season. Bring Henderson back the season after next.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Romero. No need to spend. We have a good young keeper coming through as well. Sell De Gea and use that money (along with the money generated from selling Pogba) to rebuild this team. Between the two we should get 200m. Add in the 200m that the board was already "hopefully" going to make available and we can get this team back to where we belong...

Nickosaur

There is only one option and that is Oblak. No one else comes close to filling DeGeas gloves.

Edit: @Schneckerl Lopes is actually a pretty decent shout some of the saves I’ve seen him pull off for Lyon are incredible but I’m not sure he is consistent enough. He would be intresting but has to be Oblak because for me, he and DeGea are the best in the world.
Oblak and Ter Stegan are the top 2 imo.

Snafu17

Yeah, nobody gives a shit about a good keeper after 5 years of having a world class one. If we would have a shit one everyone would change their tune really fecking fast.

Fer

Oblak is the best, but we are not going to sign him.

If De Gea leaves, we should sign a young and talented GK to compete with Romero.

Aretak

Could see Real floating the idea of a swap deal involving Courtois, but no thanks. Pickford would be even worse.

reddevilz007

I dont understand the need to have the absolute best in that position, especially if its going to cost us a lot.

Athletico Madrid has a better squad than us for the past years, has Oblak but they havent won that much in his tenure. Yet, he’s probably the best keeper in the Spanish league. So why spend that much? The GK doesnt win you games, they keep you in the game.

Is Navas the best GK? Nope, but Real won a lot with him. Is Ederson the best GK in the PL? Up for debate, but Man City still wins. Juventus is winning without a world beater.

Chelsea just spent record money for a GK, but they arent assured of finishing top 4. Allison is great, but it didnt come with a guaranteed first place finish.

My point is, you dont need the absolute best in this position, and considering our need of a total overhaul of the outfield players, I’d rather not see us spend record money for a GK if it’s going to hinder our transfer strategy this summer. Replacing De Gea for Oblak won’t make this team any better.

If we’re going to make a 20 million profit by selling De Gea and buying Oblak, then sure go for it. But a deficit would be another transfer waste.

deafepl

Oblak is nice but he's just same in the bracket as De Gea in term of commanding and organizing the defence. He doesn't leave the line to challenge for balls. His distribution is awful.

What I want is more than just shot-stopper is commanding, claiming crosses and stay alert when challenging for balls and good distribution to play out from the back.

PepsiCola

Romero for a season.

And the Deano after another loan spell at Sheffield.

Enigma_87

You know who
Oblak obtainable? Many are having a laugh. :lol:

129m release clause, whilst we most likely need to sign at least 5-6 outfield players. Glad some are not dealing with our transfers.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What about Donnarumma?

Always seems to be in a contract dispute with Meelan. Only 20 but been their first choice for three years now.

Had a similar career path to what De Gea in the 2-3 years before he signed for Man. United.

AC Milan unlikely to make CL again so they could have to sell if they don't want to run into more FFP issues.

Enigma_87

You know who
What about Donnarumma?

Always seems to be in a contract dispute with Meelan. Only 20 but been their first choice for three years now.

Had a similar career path to what De Gea in the 2-3 years before he signed for Man. United.

AC Milan unlikely to make CL again so they could have to sell if they don't want to run into more FFP issues.
I take it you haven’t followed him this season?

Very shaky with several howlers more notably against Sampdoria and Inter.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I take it you haven’t followed him this season?

Very shaky with several howlers more notably against Sampdoria and Inter.
No, haven't watched much Seria A in fairness compared to last few seasons.

Just think with Donna he is still young and already got an athletic build so the basics are there. More attainable than someone like Oblak I'd say.

Depends what OGS wants really. Man. United had keeper issues for a good few years after Barthez declined and then Fergie made what looked a stop gap signing of VDS in his mid 30s, he was your keeper playing to a very good standard for next six seasons.

Poster above saying Handanovic might be onto something.

Jack Butland is available from Stoke btw. Fits to me into the good shot stopper but weak on distribution so not really sure a european club will get him (Bournemouth feels a good fit for him).

Enigma_87

You know who
No, haven't watched much Seria A in fairness compared to last few seasons.

Just think with Donna he is still young and already got an athletic build so the basics are there. More attainable than someone like Oblak I'd say.

Depends what OGS wants really. Man. United had keeper issues for a good few years after Barthez declined and then Fergie made what looked a stop gap signing of VDS in his mid 30s, he was your keeper playing to a very good standard for next six seasons.

Poster above saying Handanovic might be onto something.

Jack Butland is available from Stoke btw. Fits to me into the good shot stopper but weak on distribution so not really sure a european club will get him (Bournemouth feels a good fit for him).
His contract is up to 21’.

Milan already slapped a price tag on him in the hundreds of millions.

Handanovic is also under contract till 21, and is 34, whilst Inter will be reluctant to sell.

Going from De Gea to Butland would be quite telling for our aspirations.

You saw how much Chelsea spent to replace Courtois, and like it or not good keepers are rare finds nowadays.

Keeping De Gea is our best bet at the moment and him regaining form.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chelsea were actually seriously considering Butland last summer but had doubts over his distribution.

Keeper position has moved on so much in last 5 years as we know see with who the top clubs sign. Has to be a builder from the back so Butland dosen't really cut it atm.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Onana from Ajax seems to be highly rated and @Ajaxsuarez speaks very highly of him.

Fantastic distribution and the fastest reflexes I've seen in a keeper.

Hubal

Dave stays, but I like Rui Patricio. Don't know if he's been equally good for Wolves as for Portugal but he would be a cheap option and who knows, could do an Edwin for us (he's not that old yet though)

SparkedIntoLife

Onana from Ajax seems to be highly rated and @Ajaxsuarez speaks very highly of him.

Fantastic distribution and the fastest reflexes I've seen in a keeper.
Onana? What's my name? ;)

Yeah, if we do sign someone, this sorta under the radar, young profile might be the best bet. I don't see the need for costly good but not great GKs like Kasper, Cillessen etc. when we already have one in Romero. Obviously some of this might depend on how well the club rates Henderson. Could do worse than loan out Henderson, buy a youngster like Onana, Strakosha or Lafont and have them rotate with Romero for a year (ala. DDG and Lindegaard) before Henderson returns a year later to compete with the youngster.

Ideally, I'd keep DDG come what may though. Even if he leaves on a free once Hendo has PL experience.

Jibbs

Give Dean Henderson the chance. The guy has everything to be a top keeper. we won't instantly become title contenders next year, so he has time to improve and adjust into the team.

starman

Romero is ready made. I would then sign Nick Pope as no 2, may as well sit on our bench then Burnley's. He was impressive during Burnley's season they finished 7th before he got injured.
If we were to sell DDG and got a lot of cash for him I would rather spend it all on a quality CB

Judas

Open to offers
Why the feck would Oblak come to us now? :lol: A few years ago we would have had a great chance no doubt, but now? We’d be paying stupid money which we might as well just keep giving to De Gea.