Potential Matic Replacements

sam147

Fair play to Matic. He has been brilliant and is a calm head in midfield. He has shown he is capable and has great passing. He is getting older and needs to be rested. Once we sign an experienced CB to organise ahead of him I would love for us to sign Rodri. A modern DM should not stick to just one role. They need to be able to pass. Ndidi is bang average. Ndombele isn't great defensively. We either try to get Garner into the team this season or we go for someone like Rodri. This is if we keep OGS. Someone like Poch might be happy with Ndombele as his system is different.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Fair play to Matic. He has been brilliant and is a calm head in midfield. He has shown he is capable and has great passing. He is getting older and needs to be rested. Once we sign an experienced CB to organise ahead of him I would love for us to sign Rodri. A modern DM should not stick to just one role. They need to be able to pass. Ndidi is bang average. Ndombele isn't great defensively. We either try to get Garner into the team this season or we go for someone like Rodri. This is if we keep OGS. Someone like Poch might be happy with Ndombele as his system is different.
What’s Rodri like? I haven’t seen him at all if I’m honest.

Devil may care

Obviously we don't know who will be manager next season but the way Ole is setting up is the 2 CM's sitting behind Pogba who has almost a #10 role, in that system I think players like Neves, de Jong, Aouar and Maier could easily partner Ander as we'll obviously also be sorting out the CB partnership behind them.

3KDré

I think we should let Ander take the position. He's at his best when he focusses on defence. Then potentially have someone who can pass better and control the game next to him.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think we should let Ander take the position. He's at his best when he focusses on defence. Then potentially have someone who can pass better and control the game next to him.
If we are going to take the step to the next level, Ander Herrera is not the answer. I love Ander’s all around skill set, and passion, but he’s squad player quality. I describe him as a mixture of technically proficient, and plucky. Unfortunately, not outstanding in any meaningful way at an elite level.

Matic is a classy footballer IMO, but he loses far too many tackles and defensive headers for my tastes. Which is so odd given his stature. Moving into next season we are going to need a top quality DM who can impose himself on the game.

sam147

What’s Rodri like? I haven’t seen him at all if I’m honest.
Fantastic. Classic Atletico signing. He is tall, strong. Great stature in midfield, he knows how to use his frame to shield the ball. He is very calm on the ball. Not Frenkie De Jong level dribbling but good enough to break through a press. He is also good at passing between the lines. He gets the ball and looks up straight away to release it. We haven't been linked with him sadly so I cant see it happening.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The way he's been playing under Ole, it doesn't seem that we need his replacement in the short term. More like someone who can come in to compete and rotate with him.

Fred and Herrera can rotate for one of the box to box roles. Pogba and Mata/Pereira for the attacking midfield role. We need someone to rotate with Matic for the defensive midfield role and that is not Fellaini.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Neves is my muppet signing, although he’s probably not as defensively capable as Matic.

How’s the Carrick clone from Dortmund doing? Can’t rememebr his name but people were raving about him couple of years ago.

Fracture90

I would honestly go for Lemina, he's got that untapped potential like Weigl, really think Lemina would be perfect for us.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Thomas Partey.
Not entirely pleased with his game time at Atleti. Better passer than Ndidi. Hell of a shot from distance.

Rocknrolla69er

Leandro Paredes from Zenit formerly of Roma could be a good option, loved a fast forward pass very much like Carrick, I don’t think he’d cost a fortune either

From his time at Roma

“Yet it isn’t just Paredes’ set piece tacking ability that stands him in good stead. Of players to make 10 or more Serie A appearances this season, an average of 2.7 interceptions per 90 minutes is among the best returns, while 2.5 tackles per game is also respectable.

The all-action displays in the middle of the park have certainly earned Paredes the adulation of his peers, while his distribution is also of the highest standard.

Of players to make 10 or more Serie A appearances, only Napoli’s Marek Hamsik (82.8) is playing more passes per 90 minutes than Paredes (76.7), while 101.3 passes per game in the Europa League is the best in the competition this season.

He is hugely effective when it comes to picking out a team-mate, with a 90.3 per cent success rate in Serie A and a 91.1 per cent pass accuracy in the Europa League both impressive.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I would honestly go for Lemina, he's got that untapped potential like Weigl, really think Lemina would be perfect for us.
I was at a Rennes game where he punched a guy in the nuts, when playing for Marseille. Never been a fan since.

MUfreak

Ruben Neves is who we should be going after, he is very very composed on the ball with nice passing skill and a killer instinct defensive awareness, and I reckon will come cheap compared to de Jong and is premier league proven. I will be irked if he doesn't play for us in his career as he posses all the Carick quality we so much talk about in here and he is faster than Carick he is only 22 and will only improve.

AriKra

How’s the Carrick clone from Dortmund doing? Can’t rememebr his name but people were raving about him couple of years ago.
Weigl? Under the new coach he isn’t playing really and rumored to move to PSG who are coached by his mentor Tuchel

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ruben Neves is who we should be going after, he is very very composed on the ball with nice passing skill and a killer instinct defensive awareness, and I reckon will come cheap compared to de Jong and is premier league proven. I will be irked if he doesn't play for us in his career as he posses all the Carick quality we so much talk about in here and he is faster than Carick he is only 22 and will only improve.
Have you watched him regularly for Wolves?

He does seem the type of player I'd like to see us sign, if he's showing good form. But if he isn't doing well, then we should look elsewhere..

Devil may care

If Herrera doesn't sign a new deal it could change the midfield situation. Right now I think it's pretty clear we need a playmaker to slot alongside him with Pogba ahead, however if he goes the manager might prefer a pure ground swallowing DM and play with a more attacking #8 ahead of him with Pogba.

Dong Fangzhuo

Not been too impressed by Neves in the few games I've seen him this season. He's also been dropped for recent games. I'm sure we'd want to see some serious improvement in the 2nd half of the season before spending 50m+ on him. He does fit the profile of CM I'd like us to sign though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not been too impressed by Neves in the few games I've seen him this season. He's also been dropped for recent games. I'm sure we'd want to see some serious improvement in the 2nd half of the season before spending 50m+ on him. He does fit the profile of CM I'd like us to sign though.
Players are dropped can be for different reason. He might be dropped because he needs rest, the schedule was tight recently with teams are playing 4 games in less than 2 weeks.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Players are dropped can be for different reason. He might be dropped because he needs rest, the schedule was tight recently with teams are playing 4 games in less than 2 weeks.
I've watched a few Wolves matches this season and he's been very average.

Macedonian Red

I agree that we need replacment for Matic but first we must upgrade some others position like RW, CM, CB, RB and LB.
Until then Pereira can rest Matic and Herrera can play like DM too, if is necessary.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've watched a few Wolves matches this season and he's been very average.
I never say he's good player or not average. You expect from a Wolves midfielder, so the performance is what it is. I'm just saying that he's dropped can be for a lot of reason, he's their main midfielder after all & has been playing almost every games for them, the guy is human and needs rest.

Same goes with Ryan Fraser Bournemouth main winger, he's been dropped 1-2 games recently, mainly because he needs rest.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I never say he's good player or not average. You expect from a Wolves midfielder, so the performance is what it is. I'm just saying that he's dropped can be for a lot of reason, he's their main midfielder after all & has been playing almost every games for them, the guy is human and needs rest.

Same goes with Ryan Fraser Bournemouth main winger, he's been dropped 1-2 games recently, mainly because he needs rest.
Do you watch Wolves regularly?

SAFMUTD

Ndidi is the obvious option, I would like De Jong first of course but realistically he won´t come here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I watched a few of this season and that's enough number for me to tell you that he plays regularly for Wolves & their main midfielder.
Moutinho is considered as their main midfielder by the Wolves fans I've spoken to. But I guess you would know more after watching a few games.:lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Moutinho is considered as their main midfielder by the Wolves fans I've spoken to. But I guess you would know more after watching a few games.:lol:
A team can't have 2 main midfielders?

You are just looking for problem & argument sir :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A team can't have 2 main midfielders?

You are just looking for problem & argument sir :lol:
You said, you watched a few games and it was clear to you, that Neves was the main midfielder.

I brought up Moutinho, and now you're asking me if a team can have two main midfielders..:lol:
Is Neves the main midfielder or joint with Moutinho?

An Irish Red

i believe we have our replacement in house. James Garner
Everytime we need to replace somebody there's always people on here claiming that the replacement is already in our academy and it practically never works out like that.

It's possible that Garner might have the talent but you need experience for the holding midfield role and that he doesn't have. It would be better loaning him out really.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Everytime we need to replace somebody there's always people on here claiming that the replacement is already in our academy and it practically never works out like that.

It's possible that Garner might have the talent but you need experience for the holding midfield role and that he doesn't have. It would be better loaning him out really.
Garner is at least 2 years away from being ready to be a mainstay in the first 11 imo. And even then he might not make it. I think Chong is the only young player that has a chance to make a immediate impression imo. Greenwood won't be too far behind either, with the way he's playing.

Carl S Bridge

We need someone with a bit of bite. Someone who's aggressive at retrieving possession be it pressing, making a tackle or winning a header. However we need this skill to be equally accomonied by his quality at passing forward and his vision

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Arguing with another member
You said, you watched a few games and it was clear to you, that Neves was the main midfielder.
You are thick & nonsense :lol:

Tell me how is someone who has played 1637 mins isn't one of their main midfielder? He started 18/21 games. The same goes with Moutinho, he has played for 1627 mins this season started 19/21 games. Both are their main midfielder.

I brought up Moutinho, and now you're asking me if a team can have two main midfielders..:lol:
Is Neves the main midfielder or joint with Moutinho?
It's a rhetorical question! Iniesta & Xavi were Barcelona's main midfielder, Scholes & Keane were United's main midfielder, Vidic & Rio were United's main defender. Since when the last time a team cannot have more than one main player? :lol: You are talking nonsense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You are thick & nonsense :lol:

Tell me how is someone who has played 1637 mins isn't one of their main midfielder? He started 18/21 games. The same goes with Moutinho, he has played for 1627 mins this season started 19/21 games. Both are their main midfielder.

It's a rhetorical question! Iniesta & Xavi were Barcelona's main midfielder, Scholes & Keane were United's main midfielder, Vidic & Rio were United's main defender. Since when the last time a team cannot have more than one main player? :lol: You are talking nonsense.
I am thick and nonsense..:lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Glad that we can agree with something. :lol:
You're a genius, you watched Wolves a few times this season and decided Neves was their main midfielder, eventhough wolves fans have been saying he's been dissapointing.

Are the Wolves fans wrong?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Alright, that enough — this is not a Rúben Neves performance thread, and some of your heated back-and-forth argumentation is in violation of the rules.

@UNITED ACADEMY @Adnan