Potential RB Options

Zed 101

Bring back Williams in January, Dalot is a liability going forward and in defence he was a massive problem last night, he is just not good enough at this level

KingCavani

Bring back Williams in January, Dalot is a liability going forward and in defence he was a massive problem last night, he is just not good enough at this level
Williams might be the worst player in the league.

Demaw

I'd like to see Laird get a chance before buying another RB.
I think there is no doubt Ethan will be back again next season for RB. He just got more rave reviews from his last match and sounds like he is killing it. Their fans love him ad talk him up. Just has to not get injured again.

Sea-Cow

Tomiyasu is a good defensive full back for the 3 games he played. He offered nothing offensively for what i have seen. May be that's the way Arteta wants him to play.
Yeah I think the idea is to have Tierney bombing up and down the left, with Tomiyasu more reserved on the right. He is also useful defending set-pieces.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I think the idea is to have Tierney bombing up and down the left, with Tomiyasu more reserved on the right. He is also useful defending set-pieces.
Tomiyasu was a CB converted to RB in Bologna. He is 6'2". so it is quite clear what Arteta wants from him. He is not going to bomb forward regulary. That's the job for Pepe and Saka. I think the term for this setup is called asymmetrical system. The downside is i don't know who can fill Tierney's shoes if he get injured.

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

Tomiyasu was a CB converted to RB in Bologna. He is 6'2". so it is quite clear what Arteta wants from him. He is not going to bomb forward regulary. That's the job for Pepe and Saka. I think the term for this setup is called asymmetrical system.
Yeah that sounds familiar. And I think we should copy it with Shaw and AWB playing similar roles to Tierney and Tomiyasu.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah that sounds familiar. And I think we should copy it with Shaw and AWB playing similar roles to Tierney and Tomiyasu.
you need a right winger to provide the width for this setup, not a wide attacking forward. However people will laugh at you if you propose adama traore for that role.

Sea-Cow

you need a right winger to provide the width for this setup, not a wide attacking forward. However people will laugh at you if you propose adama traore for that role.
I wouldn't laugh at the idea, but I wouldn't be all that enthusiastic either. I have no idea on other alternatives though. Is there a right-footed Ryan Giggs out there? An actual right-footed winger playing out wide on the right?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I wouldn't laugh at the idea, but I wouldn't be all that enthusiastic either. I have no idea on other alternatives though. Is there a right-footed Ryan Giggs out there? An actual right-footed winger playing out wide on the right?
I thought Jancho is bought for that role.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Pedro Porro but I doubt City would let it happen.

Then again we will probably use our buy clause to get him and then flip him.

Real Madrid have been scouting him since last season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Laird was superb for Swansea last night. Had the ability to beat the full back and put in a dangerous cross

JohnnyLaw

Laird was superb for Swansea last night. Had the ability to beat the full back and put in a dangerous cross

How will he do in a more withdrawn fullback role do you think?

I wouldn’t mind if we were to move toward a wing back system of course considering the players we have at our disposal. I like the look of this setup in a couple of years time:

Rashford - Bruno/Greenwood - Sancho
Shaw - Tchouameni - McTominay - Laird
Maguire - Varane - Lindelöf​

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I wouldn’t mind if we were to move toward a wing back system of course considering the players we have at our disposal. I like the look of this setup in a couple of years time:

Haven’t actually seen a lot of the defensive work at Swansea TBF but the goals conceded yesterday were down to glaring errors from the CB area rather than flanks.
Playing a back 5 suits him down to the ground but he’s flexible enough to play in a flat 4. I think he’s learning well in the lower league and the impressive thing is, for me, he’s improved with each loan move. Next season I can see a good back up to AWB

JohnnyLaw

Haven’t actually seen a lot of the defensive work at Swansea TBF but the goals conceded yesterday were down to glaring errors from the CB area rather than flanks.
Playing a back 5 suits him down to the ground but he’s flexible enough to play in a flat 4. I think he’s learning well in the lower league and the impressive thing is, for me, he’s improved with each loan move. Next season I can see a good back up to AWB
Remains to see if he can prove to have the necessary graft. He looks more like a winger at the moment but without a doubt he’s a really exciting prospect. Hopefully not another Dalot who clearly hates having to defend.

Most important of all for Laird though is that he can put his injury woes behind him. With his talent he’ll find his role eventually.

Sea-Cow

I thought so too. And I am not giving up on him and still think he can be quality for us but maybe it was too much to expect of a 21 year old coming to a new league. It would be a special player to come in and immediately hit the ground running.

wolvored

I was going to say the same. Sancho has been poor on the left, but was bought for the right. We seem to do this often buy players for a role then play them the opposite way around or a different position.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I thought so too. And I am not giving up on him and still think he can be quality for us but maybe it was too much to expect of a 21 year old coming to a new league. It would be a special player to come in and immediately hit the ground running.
How can you give up on him after a handful of games when Arteta stills sticks with Pepe? Just be patient.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I was going to say the same. Sancho has been poor on the left, but was bought for the right. We seem to do this often buy players for a role then play them the opposite way around or a different position.
Sancho has played on either flank for Dortmund to good effect. Greenwood has been the player of the season so far, bar that Portuguese alien and so he plays on the right as a natural left footer. Rashford is injured. Given all of this, why does Sancho playing on the left seem such a bad proposition?

wolvored

Sancho has played on either flank for Dortmund to good effect. Greenwood has been the player of the season so far, bar that Portuguese alien and so he plays on the right as a natural left footer. Rashford is injured. Given all of this, why does Sancho playing on the left seem such a bad proposition?
No problem I was just respon ding to say we did buy a RW we were told by Ole when he wanted to sign him last season he saw him as the ideal RW, yet hasnt even tried him there for a period.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Me too but I doubt Ole will change to much or play really young players. That's just not him for some reason despite always claiming that
Next season Laird will be 21. Around the age when we spent 50+m on current RB.

Dante

Average bang
What's the thinking now? AWB's position has never been more under threat. And just because Dalot has adapted to Rangnick better, that doesn't mean he's good enough long term.

gajender

What's the thinking now? AWB's position has never been more under threat. And just because Dalot has adapted to Rangnick better, that doesn't mean he's good enough long term.
Get Noussair Mazraoui for free in Summer Once we appoint Ten Hag as our manager let Laird continue his development on loan and sell one of Dalot or AWB based on how they perform in next six months under Rangnick problem solved .

jackal&hyde

Doesn't mean that he isn't either. Deserves a good run now so we can see where his level might be at.

Ace of Spades

We have plenty of young talent in the squad, it is the manager's job to give them a chance and help them improve by playing in a way that suits them.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Get Noussair Mazraoui for free in Summer Once we appoint Ten Hag as our manager let Laird continue his development on loan and sell one of Dalot or AWB based on how they perform in next six months under Rangnick problem solved .
Probably the best suggestion.

Bestietom

Like this.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Tripier is apparently going to Newcastle for 15 mil , so maybe its worth a reconsideration?

Ogaranya

Laird should be given a chance, he has matured well for the top flight.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Mazraoui is easily one of Ajax' best players this season and will be out of contract in the summer..