Pre-Barcelona Press Conference - 6.30pm BST 24/07/15 | Moaning ahoy!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
That doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
That quotes out of context. He's talking about challenging for the league and next season the champions league. Of course the further we get, he would be saying similar things. Nothing wrong underplaying anything. Sir Alex never spent the among LVG has in that short period of time so there is still things to tinker with to get us 100%

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It doesn't read well in isolation but, since he arrived, the guy has been pretty open about the targets set by the board. Last season we were expected to qualify for the Champions League, this season the hierarchy won't be considering the season a failure if we don't win it BUT a decent attempt would be acceptable. Is anyone genuinely expecting us to win the Champions League this year? How realistic would that be after scraping into qualification last season? Surely he's just being open about the expectations within the club?

datura

Juve weren't better than Real but took them out last year.

You don't have to be better to go through it's combination of factors. And you always have to play to win it. The presser didn't inspire confidence at all. It's not moaning it's how it was really.
Tbh I couldn't give two shits what he says in the presser, it's how the team performs that defines him as a manager. The caf lay spin doctors are dull as feck.

Natener

Well to be fair, Moyes would probably had said it's his first CL experience and he's just delighted to be involved. :p
Anyway, there's no winning to this. Man United don't go into CL and openly declare we are not there to win it. LVG is being too honest, he would have sounded a little daft had he said our aim is to lift the trophy too.

JohnnyLaw

Could just be as simple as him meaning that the aim for this season is to get back on top domestically before we fire on all fronts internationally. I don't really care though because it's not like we're going to get to the QFs only for him to rest our first team because we've got a big game against Southampton on the weekend..

SalfordRed1960

Surely, that is just his level of English.

He is justing stating that you have to set realistic targets and the CL is a step too far at the moment. Nothing wrong with that. If an English person said that, I get why people would call it negative.

Sam

You honestly think that Jones and Blind would be our first choice centre backs?

It's pre season mate, chill out.
LVG said the team that starts tonight will probably be the team that starts vs Spurs.

So if they start tonight (which seems likely as they apparently trained that way yesterday) then yes, it looks like they might be.

Brightonian

Fergie never would have said that, realistic or not.
So what? Why is it a bad thing that LVG has? Do you genuinely interpret it as somehow meaning that if we get to a semi we'll be like 'ok, that's close enough, let's lose this one lads'? Can you possibly conceive of a way in which LVG admitting the earth-shatteringly obvious fact that it's not a realistic target for us to try and win the CL this season - a fact that everyone else on the planet and his mum already knows - is somehow detrimental to us?

Chriiiiiiiist, what is wrong with everyone at the moment?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
So what? Why is it a bad thing that LVG has? Do you genuinely interpret it as somehow meaning that if we get to a semi we'll be like 'ok, that's close enough, let's lose this one lads'? Can you possibly conceive of a way in which LVG admitting the earth-shatteringly obvious fact that it's not a realistic target for us to try and win the CL this season - a fact that everyone else on the planet and his mum already knows - is somehow detrimental to us?

Redcafe, if you know the other United forums, is not the worst for moaning and negativity, and persistent putting down our own players/manager etc. In fact its the best. But you cannot escape them anywhere. I was at a game recently at OT and one of the classic moaners was behind me; he loudly slagged off his two anti-favourite United players from kick-off to final whistle. What's odd about all this is it kind of leaves you helpless whenever something actually worth moaning about comes along. I would hate to see this place in the alternative universe where Moyes stayed on and the team got relegated.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion

It's the weather. I think it's got most of the country pissed off and feeling like it's autumn or something. That's my theory anyway:)

Scrumpet

There are no words
We have proven that we are unequivocally better than the Champions of Europe, so I expect Van Gaal now regrets his comments.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We have proven that we are unequivocally better than the Champions of Europe, so I expect Van Gaal now regrets his comments.
Yes, he looks like an utter tit now - typical LVG, really.

Normally I'd say beating Barca - even if it is only a pre-season match - is a good sign. But given that pressers are so much more important than actual football in today's game, I'm actually bloody miserable right now. We're being managed by a defeatist loon with a funny accent (questionable body language too), there's no way to deny it.

Scrumpet

There are no words

Normally I'd say beating Barca - even if it is only a pre-season match - is a good sign. But given that pressers are so much more important than actual football in today's game, I'm actually bloody miserable right now. We're being managed by a defeatist loon with a funny accent (questionable body language too), there's no way to deny it.
Agreed.

Momochiru

Good one :lol: