Pre-Season games 2014/15

khoazany

jb8521 ‏@jb_8521 52s
Looks like united could switch most of the team at half time as Wilson Janko varela Rothwell Pereira O'Hara henriquez and petrucci warm up

jb8521 ‏@jb_8521 2m
Great strike by harrop matched by the save from the bray keeper

Ross Zambra ‏@TheKingOfPing 22s
1-0 Bray. Jake Kelly

jb8521 ‏@jb_8521 24s
Bray take the lead created by the right winger and finished well by brays number 10

jb8521 ‏@jb_8521 6m
United almost reply instantly with a run from harrop which ends with a corner

jb8521 ‏@jb_8521 42s
1-0 to bray at half time jake Kelly with the goal. Akinade the right winger causing a lot of trouble. Pearson and harrop United's standouts

Last edited:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The two Tournaments over the last week finished up like this:

16th July

United 2 Bury 0 (Riley and an OG)
United 3 Rochdale 0
United 2 Oldham Athletic 0
United 2 Burnley 0

19th July

United 0 Sheffield Wednesday 0
United 1 Bury 1
United 1 Tranmere Rovers 1

All games were 30 mins each.

Watford triallist Ogo Obi scored two goals.

Need to confirm some of this as have conflicting information.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I really hope him and Goss to be the pick of the U21s this season with most of the last year's starting XI need a bigger challenge.
Yep, I fear they'll be a bit like Pearson and Rothwell at the start of this season though only getting limited playing time. Without the Uefa youth league too they won't even have that to play in. So hopefully we get some of the U21 batch from last year out on loan to open the spaces.

A midfield 3 or Goss, Harrop and Andreas would be exciting to see.

khoazany

Yep, I fear they'll be a bit like Pearson and Rothwell at the start of this season though only getting limited playing time. Without the Uefa youth league too they won't even have that to play in. So hopefully we get some of the U21 batch from last year out on loan to open the spaces.

From Joyce's comment I hope we already realised the issue and be more proactive in loaning players.Goss,Harrop,Fletcher,McConnell,Grimshaw,Weir,Love,Evans all should get regular game times from December onwards.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
What's happening with Henriquez?

I don't think he should go on loan again, needs to be in the first team squad or go permanently.
Potentially could be 4th choice if Hernandez leaves this summer.

jb8521

What's happening with Henriquez?

I don't think he should go on loan again, needs to be in the first team squad or go permanently.
Potentially could be 4th choice if Hernandez leaves this summer.
He only recently turned 20 so dont see why he needs to be in the first team squad or go

jb8521

Sounds like Harrop did good. Really looking forward to seeing more of him this season.
He was very impressive his, Pereira and Lawrences dribbling were all really impressive to watch. I was impressed with how they all handled the physical side of the game as well and all looked to make something happen and raise the tempo of the game every time they got the ball. Pereira had a couple of dribbles in the second half where he had 3 or 4 around him with nowhere to go but came out with the ball and was unlucky with a couple of through balls.

jb8521

@jb8521 you were at the match right? Was it Varela or Janko playing LB in the second half and how did they do there?
Varela played left back and looked pretty comfortable there. I only remember his man beating him once and he got make and made a really good recovery tackle. Reminds me a bit of Heinze in the way he makes games into a battle against the man hes marking and wants to challenge for every ball. He also made a few really good bursts forward which either werent spotted or the ball wasnt quite right to him or he would have been in on goal.

jb8521

@jb8521 what formation did we play?

Was it a 4-3-3?
First half it was a 451/433 but second half was a really fluid 433 with rothwell playing deepest in midfield with Pereira and petrucci ahead of him and Lawrence drifting in from the left and Wilson from the right and henriquez up front with Janko and varela providing the width

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

Offensively it would be brilliant but considering how much dirty work Willock had to do for the former two last season, I doubt it would be balanced enough.

khoazany

Offensively it would be brilliant but considering how much dirty work Willock had to do for the former two last season, I doubt it would be balanced enough.
It's a myth for me.In some games I've seen of the U18s last season Willock played even further up the pitch than Goss.Goss and Pearson are the deeper midfielders out of the three in the first half yesterday according to @jb8521.

jb8521

It's a myth for me.In some games I've seen of the U18s last season Willock played even further up the pitch than Goss.Goss and Pearson are the deeper midfielders out of the three in the first half yesterday according to @jb8521.
Yeah willock played as the furthest forward of the midfielders yesterday and struggled to get into the game i prefer him playing deeper

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Didn't see yesterday's game so can't comment on that, but it's not a myth that Willock's ball winning and pressing were essential to the balance of that trio last season. Goss takes up his fair share of deep positions but he's a bit slow off the mark and as such Willock's ability to snuff out danger all over the place was a big help to him. Swap Willock for Pereira and Goss will get run at a whole lot more and he's not too comfortable with that.

Brightonian

Goss played deeper but Willock was doing the dirty work every time I saw them together. Kind of like the classic Italian system where the hard defensive work is done in front of the deep playmaker not behind him.

Definitely don't think Goss can be the most defensive player if his partners are as attacking as Harrop and Pereira. Would be like Carrick anchoring for Kagawa and Mata. As it stands only Pearson from amongst our top midfield prospects is defensively sound enough to do that sort of role.

PS18

The two Tournaments over the last week finished up like this:

16th July

United 2 Bury 0 (Riley and an OG)
United 3 Rochdale 0
United 2 Oldham Athletic 0
United 2 Burnley 0

19th July

United 0 Sheffield Wednesday 0
United 1 Bury 1
United 1 Tranmere Rovers 1

All games were 30 mins each.

Watford triallist Ogo Obi scored two goals.

Need to confirm some of this as have conflicting information.
Wasn't it Carlisle rather than Tranmere in the second one? That's what Sheffield Wednesday's site had...

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Missed the match against Bray the other day, but are the u21's playing another game in Ireland? There usually seems to be a United XI vs Cork City every preseason. Can't get to the Milk Cup later in the year either which is a balls.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I don't suppose there's any streams about for either the U21 game tonight or the U18's?

khoazany

United U18s vs. Trafford F.C XI by shirt numbers:
Henderson, Riley, Borg, Tuanzebe, Williams, Scott, McTominay, Thompson, Croskery, Rashford, Mitchell

So looks like Scott as holding midfielder with McTominay on the wing.Looks like Redmond is injured again.

Subs: Reid, Gribbin, Borthwick-Jackson, Kehinde, Dearnley, Obi, Dorrington

Last edited: