Pre-season tour 2016-17

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hot, hot, hot
Billboards featuring Rooney, Memphis and Blind dotted around Shanghai for first leg of United’s pre-season tour.

Don’t fancy Mourinho’s chances of getting much out of training in China.

It’s 37 degrees in Shanghai and feels even hotter.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I have a theory about why Ibrahimović is not going on the China tour: in this PR act, his presence would surely undermine Rooney as the main United star. Mourinho is apparently being extremely careful here with the ego management. He doesn't want another Casillas, surely.

DomesticTadpole

I have a theory about why Ibrahimović is not going on the China tour: in this PR act, his presence would surely undermine Rooney as the main United star. Mourinho is apparently being extremely careful here with the ego management. He doesn't want another Casillas, surely.
You could be right, but once the season starts he will have to deal with it anyway.

parisite

Hot, hot, hot
Billboards featuring Rooney, Memphis and Blind dotted around Shanghai for first leg of United’s pre-season tour.

Don’t fancy Mourinho’s chances of getting much out of training in China.

It’s 37 degrees in Shanghai and feels even hotter.
As I said yesterday, it's just a fairly pointless sell some kit, please the sponsors jolly.

parisite

Aren't all these tours now? Used to be just about getting fit, now the business side has taken over.
As long as we don't come up short for the first real game of the season I don't really care. Trouble is other teams go to fairly sensible places like Switzerland and Austria where it's cooler and they can train and play unreported games against local plumbers and carpenters.

DomesticTadpole

As long as we don't come up short for the first real game of the season I don't really care. Trouble is other teams go to fairly sensible places like Switzerland and Austria where it's cooler and they can train and play unreported games against local plumbers and carpenters.
Problem now is we have built ourselves up as a global force, so we can no longer play that sort of game. We have to make sure we get constant publicity to maintain it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
A flight that long and then straight into a press conference with them asking you loads of shit questions about China. Poor sods.

klayton88

When asked what he likes most about the Chinese, Wayne replied "those little plain quavers they throw in".

Aussie_Red_Devil

Any Aussies on here know why on the foxtel guide it's not saying that the game vs Dortmund is on live? Pretty sure it kicks of around 10pm on Friday night for us but it's showing that the fa cup from last year is on at that time. Hopefully it's a mistake on the tv guide.

Keenst

It is absolutely roasting here this week. I play football for an hour on Mondays and even that is torture at the moment.

m1y2

dont know where to put it or if it's been posted but there is another leak of Jose's tactical board

so apparently in training he played these two teams:

Rashford​
Januzaj - Rooney - Young
Pereira - McNair​
Rojo - Jones - Smalling - Axel

VS.
The Pie​
Lingard - Mata - Mikitaryan
Carrick - Herrera​
Shaw - Blind - Bailly - Valencia

The RED team looks more likely to start against Dtmund, with better fitness and experienced players. But in the end it could be just a training session game

DomesticTadpole

dont know where to put it or if it's been posted but there is another leak of Jose's tactical board

so apparently in training he played these two teams:
Rashford​
Januzaj - Rooney - Young
Pereira - McNair​
Rojo - Jones - Smalling - Axel

VS.
The Pie​
Lingard - Mata - Mikitaryan
Carrick - Herrera​
Shaw - Blind - Bailly - Valencia

The RED team looks more likely to start against Dtmund, with better fitness and experienced players. But in the end it could be just a training session game
Rooney, Smalling, Rashford and I presume Rojo wouldn't be involved. He might even have the ones who came on in the last game start and the ones who started that game come on, so they are at the same amount of match minutes.

OldTrevil

I dont expect a good performance from us and i dont expect a "will maybe the first-team in the season" lineup. We played all the last friendlygames with a lot of youth players. Training just started and TT is doing experiments i guess.
TT?

I expect a good performance and result but I don't put much importance on it given it's preason, basically training with a slight elevation in competition. This is obvious to most that follow football, I don't know what you're on about mate. Also, you put a bunch of words in quotes whose closest interpretation I never said or implied. You need to relax, and read what you write before posting coz you're all over the place with that post.

Last edited:

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
TT?

I expect a good performance and result but I don't put much importance on it given it's preason, basically training with a slight elevation in competition. This is obvious to most that follow football, I don't know what you're on about mate. Also, you put a bunch of words in quotes whose closest interpretation I never said or implied. You need to relax, and read what you write before posting coz you're all over the place with that post.
The lineup of BVB will not be a first team or even close to that (whats your opinion, will it be the case with United?). The style and structure of the playing and the result will have nothing to do with the reality of the later season. I expect nothing from these games, maybe some interesting hints. TT = Thomas Tuchel,our coach.

Btw: the " " marks weren't to sign a quote. We do it in germany often to use it as "modal functions" if you know what i mean. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Liverpool played their fourth game yesterday. We've only played one.
I'm worried that we aren't playing enough games and with half the squad joining preseason late, the players might not be match fit when the season starts.

It's quite obvious Mourinho wasn't happy with LVG opting for only two games.
Two games is quite ridiculous. As soon as he came we announced two more matches.
Has anyone heard if we are organising any indoor matches with other clubs?

Mr. Ant

I'm worried that we aren't playing enough games and with half the squad joining preseason late, the players might not be match fit when the season starts.

Two games is quite ridiculous. As soon as he came we announced two more matches.
Training with a new coach is much more important than playing matches imo.

You're right that we need more than those two matches and that's why Jose added another two, then we have Community Shield which is kinda a pre season game..

SomeRandomPerson

Yeah, van Gaal seemingly only had the 2 China games and Rooney's testimonial (which, according to Daniel Taylor, he was giving Rooney a lot of grief in terms of finalising it) planned as pre-season. Ridiculous!

That said, we still have games vs Dortmund, City, Galatasaray, Everton (Rooney's testimonial) and Leicester (if you count Community Shield as pre-season) so it's not too bad. Teams don't really play many more than 6 games pre-season, do they? I certainly can't recall us ever playing too many more than that and Arsenal also normally play only a few games in that Emirates cup pre-season tournament they do. Though all of that could be wrong, my memory is terrible.

OldTrevil

The lineup of BVB will not be a first team or even close to that (whats your opinion, will it be the case with United?). The style and structure of the playing and the result will have nothing to do with the reality of the later season. I expect nothing from these games, maybe some interesting hints. TT = Thomas Tuchel,our coach.

Btw: the " " marks weren't to sign a quote. We do it in germany often to use it as "modal functions" if you know what i mean. Sorry for the confusion.
My point was clearly stating what I thought was a stronger lineup from United's tour squad than the one I quoted, so u still don't have a point since I never said or implied anywhere about first teams for either side.

Nicklas

Anyone else watching the training session(s) on MUTV? Seems to really enjoy them self under Mourinho!

jungledrums

Anyone else watching the training session(s) on MUTV? Seems to really enjoy them self under Mourinho!
Yeah noticed that too! Exciting times, was great to see the lads smiling. The appointment of Jose already doing wonders.

CS@SG

So it is LVG's fault as well?

CS@SG

LVG organised preseason. He said so himself many times.
Give that old man a break will you? He is gone he is not relates ro the team in anyway anymore. Look forwardand move forward will you?

PS: I only remember that he said he doesn't like the team to fly half the globe dor preseasons.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Give that old man a break will you? He is gone he is not relates ro the team in anyway anymore. Look forwardand move forward will you?

PS: I only remember that he said he doesn't like the team to fly half the globe dor preseasons.
Give the old man a break? I was one of the few on here that didn't want us to sack him.
I am just saying, two games isn't enough to get match fit. Other teams are playing more games and with half the squad arriving late, I am worried it will cost us points.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

5 pre season games is fine.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
SIX EURO STARS RETURNING TO WORK AT UNITED

The six Manchester United players granted a late start for pre-season training due to their Euro 2016 involvement will report back to the Aon Training Complex on Sunday.

Marouane Fellaini, Anthony Martial, Matteo Darmian, Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger and new signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic are to begin work before the rest of the squad return from Beijing, China, where the second game of Tour 2016, presented by Aon, will be played against Manchester City on Monday.

New signing Ibrahimovic has been set a personalised programme before linking up with the full squad on Thursday. The Reds' third tour match will follow on Saturday, against Turkish club Galatasaray in Gothenburg.

United manager Jose Mourinho told newspaper journalists: "On Sunday, even before we arrive back in Manchester, I will send two of my coaches to start working with the other players.

"The other players will start working on Sunday. Step-by-step, we are going to do the puzzle but it's easy to feel that they want it and that's very important.

"Zlatan is going to start a specific programme we have prepared before he joins our group on Thursday, so he has five days just for him.”

//

So the whole squad is back in training tomorrow, we’ll finally see some footage of Zlatan in a United shirt :drool: Hope we’ll also hear Martial laugh at this number thingy.

suheilsworld

Zlatan!!! :drool: Can't wait to see a pic with Zlatan, Pogba(fingers crossed :nervous:) and Bastian together... Fecking good not believe two years ago that we will be having these three in our squad :drool::drool::drool:

suheilsworld

SIX EURO STARS RETURNING TO WORK AT UNITED

The six Manchester United players granted a late start for pre-season training due to their Euro 2016 involvement will report back to the Aon Training Complex on Sunday.

Marouane Fellaini, Anthony Martial, Matteo Darmian, Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger and new signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic are to begin work before the rest of the squad return from Beijing, China, where the second game of Tour 2016, presented by Aon, will be played against Manchester City on Monday.

New signing Ibrahimovic has been set a personalised programme before linking up with the full squad on Thursday. The Reds' third tour match will follow on Saturday, against Turkish club Galatasaray in Gothenburg.

United manager Jose Mourinho told newspaper journalists: "On Sunday, even before we arrive back in Manchester, I will send two of my coaches to start working with the other players.

"The other players will start working on Sunday. Step-by-step, we are going to do the puzzle but it's easy to feel that they want it and that's very important.

"Zlatan is going to start a specific programme we have prepared before he joins our group on Thursday, so he has five days just for him.”

//

So the whole squad is back in training tomorrow, we’ll finally see some footage of Zlatan in a United shirt :drool: Hope we’ll also hear Martial laugh at this number thingy.
Hopefully the the club will try to seal the Pogba signing before Saturday to ensure he too is there from Saturday to train with the players mentioned above