Television Preacher (AMC)

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Another great episode, loved the bodies piling up. Poor Arseface.

Runner

Enjoying the show but the character development is a bit weird for me. Jesse seems to have a strong morality in the comics and that's what makes him different (better?) than the angels. In this he's not in control of Genesis and he's not careful about the repercussions of his actions. Also, his blind faith in God's way is strange. I'm curious to see how they develop his character more.

Gambit

Enjoying the show but the character development is a bit weird for me. Jesse seems to have a strong morality in the comics and that's what makes him different (better?) than the angels. In this he's not in control of Genesis and he's not careful about the repercussions of his actions. Also, his blind faith in God's way is strange. I'm curious to see how they develop his character more.
I think its that blind faith in God that will rock his character to the core, making his morality more like that of the comic as it's upon his own grounds and not the will of a deity meaning he has no real control over himself, when what we know as comic book readers happens.

The Firestarter

Is this a thread for discussions about the tv show and comics? I am only watching the show, have not seen the comic before.

Runner

Is this a thread for discussions about the tv show and comics? I am only watching the show, have not seen the comic before.
I don't think there are any rules, because there's a few spoilers openly on the first page. I'm pretty far along reading the comics and i'll try to keep comic talk in spoilers.

Runner

I think they've done a great job so far and I'm excited to for the finale.

evil_geko

Apparently, first season is like a prequel to the comics, second season will start where comics begin.

Runner

Apparently, first season is like a prequel to the comics, second season will start where comics begin.
Yes and No.

I'd say most of the show is set up as a prequel with an origin story (for the cowboy from Hell) but they changed a lot of things from the comics.

Spoiler tag in case some people don't want to read the differences but I am avoiding all TV spoilers.

• Jesse's character and sense of morality are very different from the comics but i'm guessing they'll develop this more slowly.
  • A character close to Jesse is missing entirely from the show (the cowboy pictured on page 1).
  • The comics are extremely critical of religion although some of the recent dialog with Quincannon losing his family and questioning God is more in line with religious themes in the comics.
  • Speaking of Odin Quincannon, he comes into the comics much later. Don't google image his name because there are spoilers.
  • Jesse's father was a vietnam veteran, not a preacher and this is part of a major story arc (Jesse's origin) in the comics.
  • The relationships between Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy are completely different.
  • The Sheriff is portrayed as a complete dickhead in the comics. Not the sympathetic father and enabler of assisted death (for the angel) we've seen in the show.
  • Arseface never goes to Hell (haven't finished the comics yet so maybe he does later but i doubt it).
  • There's other little things but it's either nitpicking or hard to discuss without spoilers

Those aren't criticisms of the show. I think the way they've approached a lot of the source material is quite clever and well executed. The writers have done a fantastic job.

Dan

These Comic Con vids are worth a watch just for Joe Gilgun.

cyberman

Yes and No.

I'd say most of the show is set up as a prequel with an origin story (for the cowboy from Hell) but they changed a lot of things from the comics.

Spoiler tag in case some people don't want to read the differences but I am avoiding all TV spoilers.

• Jesse's character and sense of morality are very different from the comics but i'm guessing they'll develop this more slowly.
  • A character close to Jesse is missing entirely from the show (the cowboy pictured on page 1).
  • The comics are extremely critical of religion although some of the recent dialog with Quincannon losing his family and questioning God is more in line with religious themes in the comics.
  • Speaking of Odin Quincannon, he comes into the comics much later. Don't google image his name because there are spoilers.
  • Jesse's father was a vietnam veteran, not a preacher and this is part of a major story arc (Jesse's origin) in the comics.
  • The relationships between Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy are completely different.
  • The Sheriff is portrayed as a complete dickhead in the comics. Not the sympathetic father and enabler of assisted death (for the angel) we've seen in the show.
  • Arseface never goes to Hell (haven't finished the comics yet so maybe he does later but i doubt it).
  • There's other little things but it's either nitpicking or hard to discuss without spoilers

Those aren't criticisms of the show. I think the way they've approached a lot of the source material is quite clever and well executed. The writers have done a fantastic job.
After reading the comics this feels more like fan fiction to me though.
It's a feeling I just cant shake. The characters and their arc of where they began was perfect in the comics so the rewriting of all that just seems off to me no matter how good the writing is.
No real spoilers here but the first half of the comic run doesn't need to be touched imo, the second half is beyond ridiculous ( for a subject matter like this that is reallllly ridiculous) so that is where the rewriting should have came in.
This is the sane part of the story.

Runner

After reading the comics this feels more like fan fiction to me though.
It's a feeling I just cant shake. The characters and their arc of where they began was perfect in the comics so the rewriting of all that just seems off to me no matter how good the writing is.
No real spoilers here but the first half of the comic run doesn't need to be touched imo, the second half is beyond ridiculous ( for a subject matter like this that is reallllly ridiculous) so that is where the rewriting should have came in.
This is the sane part of the story.
Thanks for avoiding the comic spoilers, i don't think I've made to the crazy part of the comics you mentioned. I can definitely understand why you feel that way about the show because that's exactly how i felt after the first few episodes. The set up of the 3 main characters is very different from what I was expecting.

Runner

I'm being massively downvoted on reddit for saying I thought the season finale was disappointing. :lol:

cyberman

Painfully slow season. The finale was a finale for nothing.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Despite the general slowness of a lot of the season (though I still really enjoyed) I am looking forward to season 2 - we've got all the background out of the way so it can crack on with the ludicrous insanity.

izzydiggler

Was waiting for the series to finish, so I could binge it and up to episode 7 now. I'm enjoying it a lot but it doesn't really resemble the comics at all - so many differences with characters, including their motives/personalities and apart from a couple of moments, I'm not sure that anything appearing in book one (Gone to Texas) has happened yet in the show. I didn't think they'd do a straight adaptation but IMO it's completely different...not that it 'ruins' it but I'd like to see a bit more of a link, especially as the plot goes on.

Dan

Season 2 starts tonight/tomorrow depending where you live.

Gambit

and early reviews are its good. Full pelt now like the comics.

SqueakyWeasel

It's back and not a moment too soon: S02E01

Explosive start. I'm not really sure what the significance of the black African American cop's trouser snake was all about, just after Cassidy dives into the police car about 4 minutes in. but, whatever :lol::lol::lol:

He didn't come here for the girls, he came for the Jazz … we're in trouble now!

SO I guess it's all off to find the Amazing Ganseh then :wenger:

Great show!

SqueakyWeasel

S02E02 Also did not disappoint – this really is cracking!

Just watched "Talking Preacher" too – really interesting commentary.

Joe Gilligan, re, The Mumbai Sky Tower hot-tub scene: "People are rubbing foreskin into their faces on a daily basis and we really don't know how many products could be foreskin dependent? We have no idea. It's an epidemic out there." :lol:

Joe on shaving for continuity (after getting more tats) is particularly hilarious!

Last edited:

SqueakyWeasel

S02E03:

Great start, BG story for Eugene: "Cody D????" "Well, it was just anal, so I'll still get into heaven!"

Only topped by: "It's like what Mary Poppins says, in the Sound of Music: that when God closes a door, he always opens up a window" :lol:

Although, for the life of me I can't work out why he's now stuck in hell with Charlie Chaplin? Go on bite

parkthebuslads

This show (/comic) is a hot mess. It's as if they gathered a room full of 13 year old boys, asked for ideas and decided just to use the lot. I mean why is there a random vampire thrown in? And why is his vampire status not an issue for anyone? Why did they spend an entire season developing a town and it's characters just to blow it all up? (Not that I liked any of them).

The latest episode was typically poorly thought out. Jess was always a bit boring but revealing that he's actually a totally psychotic thug wasn't the answer.

I do like me some Cassidy though.

Gambit

Ignoring parkthebuslads ill informed and useless comments an OK episode, a bit filler for me though and the repeating sequence went on for to long. I want them to get on with the grail story line.

parkthebuslads

Ignoring parkthebuslads ill informed and useless comments an OK episode, a bit filler for me though and the repeating sequence went on for to long. I want them to get on with the grail story line.
I'm not sure you have ignored it. Anyway, "ill informed"? I watch the show like anyone else. What am I missing? What did you disagree with?

Dan

A bit spoilery trailer for some upcoming episodes.

Gambit

Surprised no one is talkign about this more especially afterlast nights episode. Finally being picked up in American news for Blasphemy.