Premier League ain’t ready for bald Martial

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
A shit pre season performance wouldn't be a concern if said player hadn't served up a season of those performances.

Had high hopes for Martial, but he's done. And that's not a decision based on a poor pre season game.

Glorio

Yes. Twice. I scored my best ever five a side goal my first game after an ACL repair. True story.

Which has precisely nothing to do with Martial’s diabolical performances last season and again today.
Impressive - was it a blinder out of nowhere in a game where you struggled or did you feel you were bossing the game? And how often did the teams involved play? Forgive me for the tangent - I'm intrigued!

El Zoido

Ole will get him going again, if he stays there’s no way he’s going to have a repeat of last season imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Impressive - was it a blinder out of nowhere in a game where you struggled or did you feel you were bossing the game? And how often did the teams involved play? Forgive me for the tangent - I'm intrigued!
It was a long-ranger out of nothing. I didn’t play well and generally wasn’t the same player again after my injury. Then tore the graft a few weeks later. Which was a massive bummer. Especially because it was mainly my own fault after not working hard enough in rehab and rushing my comeback.

Raven

I know you’ve made it one of your redcafe goals to defend Martial against any and all criticism but I mainly bumped this thread to make a silly joke about the title. And that point remains. He ain’t ready. He seems woefully undercooked for our imminent league campaign. Which isn’t ideal.

Obviously it’s impossible to know how much is down to the injury lay-off and how much is just a continuation of the frankly abysmal displays from last season. We all hope the former is the only issue here but it’s hard not to worry that this is a wildly optimistic take.
The only point you've made that I've disagreed with is that he should be no more rusty than the Everton defenders, which I and numerous others have pointed out is ridiculous.

Fair enough that you aren't convinced he's not shaken of last season's form, I'm unsure myself.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looked like that was a one off season. Lets see if he has the drive and capability to deliver such numbers again. I doubt it by now
That was the first season he properly played up front wasn't it?

His last season was poor and he just never got going.
He has it all to do, but a lot of us are bored reading fans going all or nothing on players the whole time, or constantly whinging about certain players.

Threesus

Season hasn’t started yet. Let’s wait for sometime before jumping to conclusions.

Although he really really needs a great season. Can’t ghost like last season again.

Glorio

It was a long-ranger out of nothing. I didn’t play well and generally wasn’t the same player again after my injury. Then tore the graft a few weeks later. Which was a massive bummer. Especially because it was mainly my own fault after not working hard enough in rehab and rushing my comeback.
Ah that's a shame - hope you're all healed up

Will Singh

I get frustrated watching him as sometimes he doesn’t make runs behind and just points but yesterday he put in a shift and was rusty so can’t really judge him until he’s match fit having come back from injury…!

thesheriffjw

Martial being sold is my hope for pre season.

Lazy, miserable, selfish, arrogant, are just some of the words iwould use to describe him.

Oh and not good enough

Jacob

Martial being sold is my hope for pre season.

Lazy, miserable, selfish, arrogant, are just some of the words iwould use to describe him.

Oh and not good enough
He started off as my favourite player but now I get annoyed just by looking at him.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Is my memory playing tricks on me or was martial actually pretty good before his injury? I swear he got back into the French squad and was putting in good performances but his confidence in front of goal was utter shite so he missed a lot of chances. City away he was very good and he had other performances of that level during the season - Here’s his performance against Leeds for example…pretty good I think. Certainly not “diabolical”.

To also ask what’s the difference between having a serious knee injury and playing your first 45 minutes after 5 months out as opposed to having no injury and your first game in 3 weeks is…well I have no words.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Somehow having no hair makes him look even more depressed than before.

It looks like his head just decided it couldn't be bothered with the effort of growing hair anymore.

Blood Mage

He deserves a chance to show that last season was just a blip. Having said that if someone threw £50m at us for him I'd take it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He deserves a chance to show that last season was just a blip. Having said that if someone threw £50m at us for him I'd take it.
Yeah, I agree. £50m is too much to say no. We can use that money for Haaland next season.

Posh Red

We need quality in depth to challenge City this season and for that to happen we need Martial to return to form. If we sell him we’re unlikely to get an adequate replacement in time, so I can’t see the logic in letting him go this summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We aren’t that broke. I’m sure we will have no issue coming up with the £65m for Haaland.
It's a cycle. When our net spend is 100m-150m in one summer and then following season we will only have 50m-60m net spend.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It's a cycle. When our net spend is 100m-150m in one summer and then following season we will only have 50m-60m net spend.
Not necessarily. If COVID isn’t an issue this season in terms of fan attendance then we will get back out match day revenue of £1m+ and that helps.

meamth

Is my memory playing tricks on me or was martial actually pretty good before his injury? I swear he got back into the French squad and was putting in good performances but his confidence in front of goal was utter shite so he missed a lot of chances. City away he was very good and he had other performances of that level during the season - Here’s his performance against Leeds for example…pretty good I think. Certainly not “diabolical”.

To also ask what’s the difference between having a serious knee injury and playing your first 45 minutes after 5 months out as opposed to having no injury and your first game in 3 weeks is…well I have no words.
His general play has always been good, but there's no running away from the fact that we lost so many points because of him missing chances.

Hope he can fix that this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Give him a few games at least.

He needs a good run of uninterrupted games to get back on track BUT if Inter threw £50m at us it’s not even a debate…!
We would still have to sign a replacement. All we have upfront is oldie Cavani, newbie Greenood and this chap.

Will Singh

Give him a few games at least.

We would still have to sign a replacement. All we have upfront is oldie Cavani, newbie Greenood and this chap.
Wouldn’t you agree Cavani and Greenwood as cover is enough? We have to develop Greenwood and I’d rather we concentrate on him more then Martial. I do agree we give Martial a run to see if he can get back to the form from a few seasons ago.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He’s better than most of our other options. Shocking season last time but deserves this campaign. He’s hardly mediocre!
Better than who? James and Mata? He's not as good as Cavani, Rashford or Sancho. Greenwood is getting better all the time and has the talent to far surpass him....and Rashford too for that matter.

Martial is a decent player nothing more. He's had 2 and half good seasons in 6 years.

Raven

Better than who? James and Mata? He's not as good as Cavani, Rashford or Sancho. Greenwood is getting better all the time and has the talent to far surpass him....and Rashford too for that matter.

Martial is a decent player nothing more. He's had 2 and half good seasons in 6 years.
Are you actually Souness?