g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Premier League Fixtures 23/24 - General discussion

SteveCoppellFan

Honestly, I'd rather play all the big teams early on in the season.

At least then we have good fixtures when the business end of the season arrives.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

We have a horrid December but the months before that are fairly decent in terms of the spread.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Brentford away, Chelsea away and Liverpool at home in the space of 7 days in March/April is looking like a key block of fixtures.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What is going on in January. No New Year game, presume F.A. Cup then, but then games split over two weekends. 13 and 20 January.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Once again we have the worst set of fixtures. Why do we regularly get fecked by the PL/FA?
Can’t believe we don’t get three easy points from playing Manchester United at home.

brian017

What is going on in January. No New Year game, presume F.A. Cup then, but then games split over two weekends. 13 and 20 January.
That’s how the PL has a winter “break”. They split the game week so all teams get a week off while still having some games on

Raw

What are the fixtures like after CL games?
Group Stage
1 - 19/20 Sep (between Brighton H & Burnley A)
2 - 3-4 Oct (between Palace H & Brentford H)
3 - 24-25 Oct (between Sheffield Utd A & Man City H)
4 - 7-8 Nov (between Fulham A & Luton H)
5 - 28-29 Nov (between Everton A & Newcastle A)
6 - 12-13 Dec (between Bournemouth H & Liverpool A)

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
It looks like a horrendous start Arsenal, United, City, Liverpool and Chelsea all away in the first 10 matches! At least the run in looks easier than last season.

quadrant

Not quite as bad as it looks at first glance. Ok start, and the big fixtures are mostly spread out.

The obvious problem is the run in, which is tough. Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal and Brighton make up 5 of our last 8 games. Also, that game against City away (2nd March) looks like a good candidate for an FA Cup weekend, so that could easily get bounced into the run in too.

On the plus side, Jan, Feb, Mar is pretty straightforward and after the winter break is always a key time. Good opportunity to cement our lead at the top of the table (right?).

I have to say, City's run in looks handpicked. Villa, Palace, Luton, Spurs, Forest, Wolves, Fulham, West Ham. If you're behind City when that run starts, you're not catching them.

Reactions: 2cents

PoTMS

We really need to sort our away form. Our first two being Spurs and Arsenal isn't exactly ideal.

CallyRed

Looking forward to the 'Will we get relegated' thread after the first few fixtures have taken place.

DanClancy

Group Stage
1 - 19/20 Sep (between Brighton H & Burnley A)
2 - 3-4 Oct (between Palace H & Brentford H)
3 - 24-25 Oct (between Sheffield Utd A & Man City H)
4 - 7-8 Nov (between Fulham A & Luton H)
5 - 28-29 Nov (between Everton A & Newcastle A)
6 - 12-13 Dec (between Bournemouth H & Liverpool A)
Fair at least, lets hope its a Tuesday night game before going to anfield whilst Liverpool will have a Thursday night game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Don’t really get the moaning. Our fixtures don’t look particularly hard. Look at City’s in March, now that’s brutal!

cyberman

Not quite as bad as it looks at first glance. Ok start, and the big fixtures are mostly spread out.

The obvious problem is the run in, which is tough. Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal and Brighton make up 5 of our last 8 games. Also, that game against City away (2nd March) looks like a good candidate for an FA Cup weekend, so that could easily get bounced into the run in too.

On the plus side, Jan, Feb, Mar is pretty straightforward and after the winter break is always a key time. Good opportunity to cement our lead at the top of the table (right?).

I have to say, City's run in looks handpicked. Villa, Palace, Luton, Spurs, Forest, Wolves, Fulham, West Ham. If you're behind City when that run starts, you're not catching them.
But it all evens out. This worrying never made sense to me since a hard run in mean an easier run before that to build momentum and points. Top 5 qualifies for CL next season, funny thing is the top sides could be on the beach for the run in more than anyone else.
Could be easier than you think

Its all gone Shane Long

Talk about a hard run in for us and City have it bloody easy, no way is anyone catching City if they’re behind. City come alive after the New Year but will prob be earlier this year as there is no WC this winter.

Dominos

With Newcastle now included to make it a "big 7", that means there's 12 fixtures against top sides so you play a "difficult" game 1 in every 3 games on average. Throw in Brighton or others then it gets even worse.

When you look at it like that it's difficult to end up with a prolonged "easy" run of games. If you do end up with an easy run, you pay the price with a cluster of difficult ones somewhere.

The ideal fixtures are probably evenly distributed in terms of difficulty but with an easy opening 3 games and easy last 3 games, so you can get off to a good start and you have winnable games when the pressure is on right at the end.

Dannn411

Arsenal, Spurs and Brighton in our first 5. Difficult start.
Like facing the big guys early. My ideal start is to play the big 6 away very early on. Its the ideal time to face them before they round into form.

Telsim

Not exactly ideal, is it? Tottenham and Arsenal away, and Brighton at home in the first month. And to top it all off, we start against dreary Wolves on Monday. :boring: Oh well... Curious to see how many points can we pick up from those 5 games.

Tony Clifton

Can't be right, Liverpool not playing a promoted team first.
Had not thought about it before, but then I saw your comment and checked this. And damn, until now that was actually a thing for a while…four seasons in a row in fact.

Liverpool's first fixtures in recent seasons:

2019: Norwich, newly promoted
2020: Leeds, newly promoted
2021: Norwich, newly promoted
2022: Fulham, newly promoted

Unbelievable.

Honestly, I'd rather play all the big teams early on in the season.

At least then we have good fixtures when the business end of the season arrives.
I want a few big fixtures early in the season as well. Also good from a balance aspect not having too "easy" of a start.

miked99

Don't like those opening fixtures. It's all very well saying get the big teams out of the way early, but the inevitable result of that is being off the pace after a handful of games and never being in the title race. Momentum is everything, look at Arsenal last season.

That said, we did have favourable opening fixtures a couple of seasons ago and we made a right mess of it :lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Liverpool's first fixtures in recent seasons:

2019: Norwich, newly promoted
2020: Leeds, newly promoted
2021: Norwich, newly promoted
2022: Fulham, newly promoted

Unbelievable.
It’s one thing moaning about easy cup draws but I’m fairly certain everybody has to play everybody else twice in the league.

quadrant

But it all evens out. This worrying never made sense to me since a hard run in mean an easier run before that to build momentum and points. Top 5 qualifies for CL next season, funny thing is the top sides could be on the beach for the run in more than anyone else.
Could be easier than you think
Well, not sure id totally agree. The run-in is a unique point in the season when the pressure is magnified, you really don't want your hardest games then. As we've seen many times at United over the years (and as Arsenal fans were reminded last season), the pressure in the last 10 or so games feels enormous and every fixture suddenly feels much harder than it would do at other times. Imagine playing at Anfield on the last day of the season to decide the title, that one fixture would loom over the entire run-in.

In our case, its not that bad, since most of our hardest games are at home. But still, I would 100% prefer to have a run-in like City's. Going into big games in February or March knowing you have 8 winnable games at the end to make up ground if you drop points is a definite psychological advantage.

Chief123

It’s one thing moaning about easy cup draws but I’m fairly certain everybody has to play everybody else twice in the league.
Although I agree, a run of good fixtures together can be crucial especially in an important part of a season. It allows momentum to be built.

donrogersmoustache

Supports
Swindon
City with their obligatory 5-0 battering of Burnley

Us to struggle against Brighton

Liverpool with an easy with over Luton

Chelsea and Arsenal drawing their games.

Newcastle beating Spurs.
So the leak is generally bollocks except the odd lucky guess. United at home and the champions get a newly promoted team are no surprise

el3mel

Man City to win the league after the first 8 games. I expect them to get the full 24 points out of those games and leave the rest of the teams chasing them in vains.

Boring shit.