Premier League Game Week 17

Alexit

Last time we won the league we didn't have a midfield. We had a 32 year old Carrick and a 40 year old Giggs with Kagawa and Cleverley starting half our games yet playing the 2nd and 3rd most minutes in midfield.
Even during SAF's reign (at least the latter part which was also a success), we never had the world-beating midfield that we crave now. But we did have a superior strike force with the likes of RVP, Ronaldo, Rooney, and Tevez. I don't think you can get away without a solid midfield now. At least we're showing signs of developing just that with a developing Scott, a now wide awake Fred. A combination that should be made even better with a returning Pobga. We can type about how he might not make a big difference, and we're just "fine", but once he's on the pitch (further up I hope) it'll be a different story.

Come on United! :devil:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

I'm not seeing it 100% myself. I'm assuming the right edge of the blue line is what counts and the left edge of the red line rather than the middle of both lines.

Anustart89

Would Klopp have preferred a 35 yard free kick to Firmino being released there?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Even in SAF's reign, we've never had the world-beating midfield that we crave now. But we did have a superior strike force with the likes of RVP, Ronaldo, Rooney, and Tevez. I don't think you can get away without a solid midfield now. At least we're showing signs of developing just that with a developing Scott, a now wide awake Fred. A combination that should be made even better with a returning Pobga. We can type about how he might not make a big difference, and we're just "fine", but once he's on the pitch (further up I hope) it'll be a different story.

Come on United! :devil:
We never had a world-beating midfield? We arguably had one of the best midfield ever in the 90's. Later on we didn't have the greatest midfield but we did have Carrick and Fletcher, just in that last season Fletcher was sick and Anderson and Cleverley were always injured which is why Scholes came out of retirement.

PyroMan

People here complaining about the shoving by VVD yet will not mention that wrestling move on Salah which isn't given as a foul :lol:

TheLiverBird

Quite incredible Liverpool are still winning this.
Not really

One team have had some amazing chances but not good enough to finish them

the other has had a few chances but been good enough to finish one

Josep Dowling

Because Mane was offside?
The current rules are stupid. When it’s that tight it should favour the attacking team. If they need to spend over a minute putting lines across like that, they should just accept it’s a goal. In my opinion anyway.

Walters_19_MuFc

A team with Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum are going to win the league.. let that sink in. I'd not take any of them in our side. I'm not even saying they are shit, they clearly aren't shit, but they're nowhere near the kinds of elite midfielders you'd expect at a title winning side.

Compare it to Beckham, Scholes, Keane and Giggs.
Attacking wise they're not 'elite', but off the ball, they certainly are. Football is about balance, not fitting the most 'elite' players in.

The three midfielders you mentioned, although nothing special on the ball, provide a foil for the front three and full backs to attack with freedom. If they had the centre midfielders you're thinking about, then I guarantee they would't be the same team.

Anustart89

People here complaining about the shoving by VVD yet will not mention that wrestling move on Salah which isn't given as a foul :lol:
He played an advantage and Salah ended up releasing Firmino on a one-on-one inside the box... Would you have preferred a free kick from 30 yards?

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
What wrestling move? It's a contact sport and he was just making very very slight contact with Salah, which is obviously why even that little diver didn't go down...

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
He played an advantage and Salah ended up releasing Firmino on a one-on-one inside the box... Would you have preferred a free kick from 30 yards?
Fair point.. but given Firmino's current form, we would have preferred TAA to have had a chance to score from a FK 30 yards out... :D

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It was a foul too, but the ref (correctly) played an advantage for Firmino. Was there an advantage played for Watford in the other instance?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Who would have thought they'd ever be a day where Brendan Rodgers is the only hope of stopping Liverpool.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'd like a second here to feel safer.

Hoof the ball

Liverpool's midfielders do deserve credit because they are very good system players. Exploits all their best traits and minimises all their weaker ones. With that in mind, what would this side look like if they invested in two superb all-rounded midfielders to play alongside Fabinho?

Alexit

We never had a world-beating midfield? We arguably had one of the best midfield ever in the 90's. Later on we didn't have the greatest midfield but we did have Carrick and Fletcher, just in that last season Fletcher was sick and Anderson and Cleverley were always injured which is why Scholes came out of retirement.
I reflected and edited to specify the latter end of SAF's reign.

Walters_19_MuFc

Liverpool's midfielders do deserve credit because they are very good system players. Exploits all their best traits and minimises all their weaker ones. With that in mind, what would this side look like if they invested in two superb all-rounded midfielders to play alongside Fabinho?
All rounded like who?