Premier League Gameweek 1 (9th, 10th, 11th August)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We shouldn't be relying on VAR to make football entertaining.
You're right, that should be down to the players, and up until that point they had failed to do so. Fortunately, we've got something to talk about as opposed to turning off after watching West Ham roll over.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What's daft is knowing this will be looked at any encroachment will be penalized, and doing it anyway. You can bet your left nut the next time they concede a pen they'll make sure they don't fall foul.
100% spot on. Fans can be excused for being confused regarding the rules but the players are supposed pros, they're supposed to have been briefed and explained things clearly. If I'm Fabianski, I'd tear a new one to Rice. That was so so dumb.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Just feels like the rest of us are playing for second at this point doesn't it.
Nah. It’s City then some way back us. Then a bit further back is Spurs. The rest of you are competing for fourth imo.

Nick7

West Ham were fecking shite. A "great" summer apparently and looked no different to last year.

Alabaster Codify7

It's mad how far away from this lot we are. It's like comparing us to someone like West Ham, in terms of the gulf in quality.

Jezpeza

Glad we never signed Diop. Was utter smeg today, gave away a penalty, should have cleared the first goal, played everyone onside for the fifth.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Phenomenal game from Sterling.
I thought he was poor in the first half. Game of two halves as they say.

City top and they'll stay there. No one getting near this city squad over 38 games. Bookies may as well pay out already.

DavidDeSchmikes

wonder how long it will take until pundits and journos start debating the quality of the rest of the league

City just keep on running. Hardly look tired

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Wonder if B. Silva will get a look in cause that team was excellent today

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Because of the setup. He’s a magnificent player and he should be built around instead of Kane.
We've tried him in numerous roles for England (striker, out wide, behind the striker) and he hasn't functioned well in any of them, apart from maybe 2-3 games.

He just does not perform for the NT, and I've given up expecting him to do so.

R'hllor

Don't get me wrong I have zero issue with it, personally I love it. I'm all for it just didn't think it was going to be quite so strict.
But thats a thing, i look on VAR as system, if they wanted they could implement slow integration, make a slow progression of implementation if they aint sure about them being able to handle all shit at once. For example, they could use VAR this season only for offsides or throw ins (not really) and then add things with each passing year.

Seems they decided to go full in, which means implementation of most rules under VAR possibility. How long we had this GK running few yards forward to cut angles before penalty is even taken and rarely ref took a notice, like rule doesnt even exist.

Stadjer

You can bet your bottom dollar that they will turn up against us though.
Or maybe City just doesnt allow them to trouble them. City almost always have the ball and when they dont they foul West Ham or get it back the fair way.

Manchester United does allow a team like West Ham to trouble us. We usually dont have the ball since a lot of our players arent very good with the ball and also wont get the ball back so quick.

AC1689

So had an eagle swooped down and picked the ball up in its beak, while 50 feral hogs invaded the pitch...

Why are you mentioning things that didn’t happen?
I am reinforcing the fact that if rules are broken, VAR is there to acknowledge this and ensure they are enforced accordingly.

You just sound bitter that City have scored another goal. There is no way you’d be kicking up a fuss like this calling it “daft” if it had been United in the same scenario. Perhaps you would, but I seriously doubt it. There is nothing daft about it.

Also, how big do you think the beak of an Eagle is?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Nah. It’s City then some way back us. Then a bit further back is Spurs. The rest of you are competing for fourth imo.
I wasn't at all impressed by Liverpool yesterday, the scoreline flattered you bigtime.

I think United are going to surprise people this year.

cyberman

We've tried him in numerous roles for England (striker, out wide, behind the striker) and he hasn't functioned well in any of them, apart from maybe 2-3 games.

He just does not perform for the NT, and I've given up expecting him to do so.
It's Kane that slows England down, not Sterling

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I am reinforcing the fact that if rules are broken, VAR is there to acknowledge this and ensure they are enforced accordingly.

You just sound bitter that City have scored another goal. There is no way you’d be kicking up a fuss like this calling it “daft” if it had been United in the same scenario. Perhaps you would, but I seriously doubt it. There is nothing daft about it.

Can't wait to see where you go with this.

In Rainbows

Or maybe City just doesnt allow them to trouble them. City almost always have the ball and when they dont they foul West Ham or get it back the fair way.

Manchester United does allow a team like West Ham to trouble us. We usually dont have the ball since a lot of our players arent very good with the ball and also wont get the ball back so quick.
Yep. It's a combination of great team pressing and technical superiority. United need more players like Pogba. Integrating Gomes and possibly getting Sancho next season helps us build towards that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's Kane that slows England down, not Sterling
Of course it is. I suppose it's also Kane that misses sitters for fun for England and runs about achieving nothing with the ball.

Switzerland was only the latest in a long line of 'typical sterling England performances' in which he's seemingly incapable of actually scoring. But yeah, Kane's fault, he should hold Raheem's hand in front of goal.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Of course it is. I suppose it's also Kane that misses sitters for fun for England and runs about achieving nothing with the ball.

Switzerland was only the latest in a long line of 'typical sterling England performances' in which he's seemingly incapable of actually scoring. But yeah, Kane's fault, he should hold Raheem's hand in front of goal.

padr81

Supports
Man City
But thats a thing, i look on VAR as system, if they wanted they could implement slow integration, make a slow progression of implementation if they aint sure about them being able to handle all shit at once. For example, they could use VAR this season only for offsides or throw ins (not really) and then add things with each passing year.

Seems they decided to go full in, which means implementation of most rules under VAR possibility. How long we had this GK running few yards forward to cut angles before penalty is even taken and rarely ref took a notice, like rule doesnt even exist.
Yup, I think they'll also get better at it too and nail the decisions quicker which will help in the future, but what I've seen of it involving City so far, its got every decision right vs Spurs (which sucked), and again today.
I'll take that, I'd rather a break for a minute and some people complaining than a big decision go wrong in key moments.

Imagine the scenes had Aguero not been flagged offside v Spurs last season. They'd wrongly be out and never have got their CL final.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Just got back from work and seen the score.

Not even surprised might aswell give them the trophy now.

Arka_BleedingRed

If that were the case any manager should just study what Klopp does and do the same. Why don't they?

Most of the players i.e. the midfielders? Sure. They're above average at the things you mentioned, but not particularly special, and Klopp's work on the training ground certainly goes a long way towards improving them in that regard.

But the forwards, they're magicians. How many times per game do we see any one of them receive a bad pass and bring it under control perfectly with their first touch? That's their secret ultimately, that's what allows them to play at that tempo with that quality. Salah's first touch verges on sorcery at times. All three are world class players, anybody claiming otherwise has never seen them play
I'm not arguing that Salah is bad player, he is a very good player. But while playing for the Scousers, even the likes of Origi, Ox, Gini, Shaqiri look exceptional.

For modern football, a great first touch(good technical skills) and quickness of thought is so invaluable for a player. That is why forwards like Lukaku will go out of the game soon. But for Liverpool's style of play, even more than their first touch, the most important factors are their movement as a collective and their tempo.

So many times, players like Mane, Origi, Wijnaldum etc. even Salah have taken a heavy touch, but instead of losing their threat, the gegen press they do as a collective, helps them retrieve the ball and turn back an unfavourable situation into a favorable one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The funny thing is, I wanted City to score that pen. I know we won’t win the league so I’ve already started that soul-destroying mindset of last season where every City goal makes it harder for Liverpool to win the league. Fecked up but there you go.

I assumed the eagle would use its talons.