Premier League Gameweek 11

Oranges038

Yeah part of me thinks Spurs went for that once Enzo went off - Chelsea lacked a lot of quality in that ball from midfield without him.

It made sense for them to do overall I'd say - people will point to the chances Chelsea fluffed before going 2-1 up had but knowing how idiotic and uncomposed the opposition forward line is is surely part of the calculus when opting for that tactic.
Definitely made sense, you're down to 9, may as well lose 4-1 than 2-1. Throw a bit of caution to the wind and you might a chance, and it almost paid off for them.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why are Newcastle on tv again next weekend? A shite game against Bournemouth. Seems like they’ve been on a lot this season….

Zen

Cracking post-match interview from Ange.
Can't disagree with him on the standing around part, Football and it's fans have mocked the American sports for the breaks forever.... it's slowly becoming the same. More football at the cost of endless breaks, is it worth it?

tomaldinho1

The highline was mental, but when you see those chances you can see the method in the madness.

People saying it was mental will only look at the scoreline and ignore the fact that they had some great chances.

Chelsea on the other hand, must have a lower IQ forward line than Utd.
Reckon they’d have had chances just sitting back and countering though. Chelsea just lost to Brentford because they literally can’t score and they leak goals.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Reckon they’d have had chances just sitting back and countering though. Chelsea just lost to Brentford because they literally can’t score and they leak goals.
Big difference in sitting back with 9 and with 11 though in fairness - Brentford consistently had an outlet and Spurs simply couldn't afford to sit deep without all 9 players in or around their box. Think they made the right decision - we've seen repeatedly how mentally frail and easily unsettled this Chelsea team is; the slightest push and they lose most of their composure. It's obviously just a thought exercise in speculation but I'm not sure they'd have created 3 clear opportunities sitting deep the way they did by being aggressive.

tomaldinho1

Big difference in sitting back with 9 and with 11 though in fairness - Brentford consistently had an outlet and Spurs simply couldn't afford to sit deep without all 9 players in or around their box. Think they made the right decision - we've seen repeatedly how mentally frail and easily unsettled this Chelsea team is; the slightest push and they lose most of their composure. It's obviously just a thought exercise in speculation but I'm not sure they'd have created 3 clear opportunities sitting deep the way they did by being aggressive.
I guess we’ll never know! Obviously the ‘sensible’ thing would have been to come out for the second half having subbed Udogie off though, sit in with 10 and basically just play like last year.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I said last 5 or 10. They shouldn't have been like that for 30 I'll agree with that. But they needed a goal towards the end and they weren't far off
They had a few chances, Dier even had the ball in the back of the net. How Bentancur missed I'm not sure, was he even contested? I put it down to him not being at the races yet. And Son had a fantastic chance as well, overall they fashioned some great chances.

Romero let Spuds down, he is the VC and one of the senior members of the squad. You can forgive Udogie letting the occasion get to him as he is just a 20 year old kid.

Spurs are stuffed now though, no VDV, Romero, Udogie or Maddison vs Wolves, you would imagine VDV is a long term injury, looked bad in real time. Should slide down the table a bit, still think they will be there abouts for CL spots.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I guess we’ll never know! Obviously the ‘sensible’ thing would have been to come out for the second half having subbed Udogie off though, sit in with 10 and basically just play like last year.
Yeah was surprised they didn't do this actually and it's a good point - especially with only one sub window to be used in the second half I do think it's fair to ask the question. Though maybe now that I think about it they didn't have another backup fullback with Royal and Dier both coming on?

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Leak goals ? Let 12 in which is 4 less than Utd and 5th best defensive record in the league. As for scoring have put 5 more away than Utd.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, but they adopted those tactics at 1-1!
They lost both their starting CBs - why would they try to sit deep and rely on players who the boss doesn't rate as being as good as the starters? By having the whole team play high Postecoglu effectively shielded his backups from having to do as much 1v1 defending in my opinion.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Leak goals ? Let 12 in which is 4 less than Utd and 5th best defensive record in the league. As for scoring have put 5 more away than Utd.
United being crap doesn't automatically make Chelsea not crap.

Oscar Bonavena

They lost both their starting CBs - why would they try to sit deep and rely on players who the boss doesn't rate as being as good as the starters? By having the whole team play high Postecoglu effectively shielded his backups from having to do as much 1v1 defending in my opinion.
Yeah that's an argument, but then you're asking Dier and Royale to hold their line practicality at the half way line, and they're completely out of the game if Chelsea time their run right cos they don't have the pace to get back. If I'm a Spurs fan, I'd prefer them defending from the 18 yard line.

They might have got a 1-1 draw, Chelsea aren't great at breaking down deep lying defences.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Spurs’ performance vs 9 men Liverpool was way worse than our effort tonight. They created literally nothing and needed a fluke OG in the 96th min to scrape the win. We were creating a chance every few mins with their suicidal high line and ended up beating them 4-1.

Wilt

Fair play to 9 men Spurs making Chelsea sweat for the win.

Winrar

4-1 flattered Spurs, could've easily been 8 for Chelsea if their attack was more potent.

Easy to see in hindsight that Ange should've played 8-0-0 going for the draw, but he basically had no defenders so it was a gamble either way. Curious to see how he reacts to this setback.

NoPace

It was interesting to see that only Sterling and Cucarella really understood the basic proposition of how to get in behind high line when there's no pressure on the ball. Jackson was mostly struggling until he realized he just needed to stand offside and get a head start for a tap in and rely on the wide players to get in behind first, Mudryk was totally lost and Palmer didn't even really try, just looked to make the pass, so somewhat excusable.

Playing for a 2-2 draw instead of a 1-1 draw was sort of madness, but it was fun.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Spurs’ performance vs 9 men Liverpool was way worse than our effort tonight. They created literally nothing and needed a fluke OG in the 96th min to scrape the win. We were creating a chance every few mins with their suicidal high line and ended up beating them 4-1.
Kind of a pointless comparison. Liverpool weren't stupid like Spurs so obviously their performance would be worse than yours today.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Kind of a pointless comparison. Liverpool weren't stupid like Spurs so obviously their performance would be worse than yours today.
I mean, yes but it’s the only other game I can think of in recent times that had a team reduced to 9 men in a game between big teams.

Matt851

4-1 flattered Spurs, could've easily been 8 for Chelsea if their attack was more potent.

Easy to see in hindsight that Ange should've played 8-0-0 going for the draw, but he basically had no defenders so it was a gamble either way. Curious to see how he reacts to this setback.
Guess he may have adjusted things if playing a better team but we will never know

tomaldinho1

Yeah was surprised they didn't do this actually and it's a good point - especially with only one sub window to be used in the second half I do think it's fair to ask the question. Though maybe now that I think about it they didn't have another backup fullback with Royal and Dier both coming on?
Yeah I don't know about their squad in truth but assume there would be some way of making it functional