Premier League Gameweek 2 fixtures (18th - 20th August 2018)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Don't agree, to get the money spent they needed to sell Coutinho, who if they had kept could have been their De Bruyne and given them the creativity they can sometimes lack. City can keep De Bruyne and still spend hundreds of millions, I don't think it's really fair to expect anybody to challenge a side with the sheer strength in depth City have, they can field two fantastic sides. There's a reason they managed 100 points, and if they can be similarly consistent again (why not?) it's unfair to expect Liverpool's spending to make up that 25 point gap.

Think the fair expectation should be finishing as the best of the rest, and perhaps winning a cup. For me the CL is entirely possible, as I said their style of play suits the competition perfectly and I don't see a single team who are clear favourites.
If they don’t run them tight this season they won’t in any season. They can’t get much better, I still think City are much to strong and Pep much too experienced. If Salah has another season like he had last the likes of City, Barca and Madrid will come in for him no doubt.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Other than City and Liverpool I don't see who would be able to give us a "drubbing." While true that we won't properly challenge for the title this season I don't think we'll be miles and miles away like we were last season.
Considering Arsenal could easily have scored five goals in a single half against you, I think a few big away games could lead to big defeats for you. You were fortunate they were equally terrible defensively and allowed you in with a single ball over the top, against a side with a more settled style who didn't play Mustafi and Xhaka, you could have been hammered.

I'm certainly looking forward to playing you at home, if you're playing in a similar fashion with the likes of Luiz and Alonso who are defensively extremely questionable.

el3mel

Don't agree, to get the money spent they needed to sell Coutinho, who if they had kept could have been their De Bruyne and given them the creativity they can sometimes lack. City can keep De Bruyne and still spend hundreds of millions, I don't think it's really fair to expect anybody to challenge a side with the sheer strength in depth City have, they can field two fantastic sides. There's a reason they managed 100 points, and if they can be similarly consistent again (why not?) it's unfair to expect Liverpool's spending to make up that 25 point gap.

Think the fair expectation should be finishing as the best of the rest, and perhaps winning a cup. For me the CL is entirely possible, as I said their style of play suits the competition perfectly and I don't see a single team who are clear favourites.
Liverpool did a blinder by selling Coutinho. They now have far, far better team than what they had with Coutinho around. Great player, but it's useless to have one great player while everyone else is shite. Rather sell him and use his money to build an all rounded balanced team.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Liverpool did a blinder by selling Coutinho. They now have far, far better team than what they had with Coutinho around. Great player, but it's useless to have one great player while everyone else is shite. Rather sell him and use his money to build an all rounded balanced team.
I agree, but the fact remains they had to sell him to buy the other players, which City don't have to do. If they had been able to buy all the other players AND keep Coutinho, they would be frightening.

el3mel

I agree, but the fact remains they had to sell him to buy the other players, which City don't have to do. If they had been able to buy all the other players AND keep Coutinho, they would be frightening.
Sure they don't have the same financial power as City, they're rich, but not as rich as City. Still they used the resources available in the best possible way.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Considering Arsenal could easily have scored five goals in a single half against you, I think a few big away games could lead to big defeats for you. You were fortunate they were equally terrible defensively and allowed you in with a single ball over the top, against a side with a more settled style who didn't play Mustafi and Xhaka, you could have been hammered.

I'm certainly looking forward to playing you at home, if you're playing in a similar fashion with the likes of Luiz and Alonso who are defensively extremely questionable.
We played poorly for 15 minutes in the second match of the season under a new manager with a new style. Dominated otherwise. I'm not worried about us at the moment.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We played poorly for 15 minutes in the second match of the season under a new manager with a new style. Dominated otherwise. I'm not worried about us at the moment.
You shouldn't be worried at all, I think you will get top four this season and then potentially mount a decent challenge the season after, depending on how City do. I don't disagree with anything you're saying, the new manager/new style stuff is absolutely true, hence why I think you won't challenge, it's too early for you.

You may have dominated otherwise, but you totally surrendered a 2 goal lead and conceded 5-6 key chances, that's the problem with adapting to a new system. Certain players just won't work in it for you and Sarri will learn which ones this season, so it will be transitional. Even the likes of Guardiola had games where he lost 4-0 to Everton in the first season, it's not uncommon. Most games you'll blow teams away though and will dominate the ball vs the smaller sides, so top 4 is very achievable.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Would be a bit strange to talk about that game in a few months but if you want
Hang on.

Didn't you say this ?

Salah has been shite. From that first chance where he gave up immediately and hit it into the defender, he's not looked anything like his usual self from last season.
Two games in and you are saying he is shite and nothing like his usual self from last season.

My response .....

Let's have this conversation in a few months.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Credit to Palace today. We were the better team, but not by much, and we couldn't complain to much had the nicked a point. Selling Benteke for £32m was a masterstroke though and probably secured the three points today. With a decent striker Palace would probably be in the mix for EL places.

Our front trio were not good today, well set up by Hodgson, but it was a very solid defensive display. Allisson looking good so far, great distribution, and Gomez looks a player next to van Dijk. Lovren might not walk into the side if he keeps up.

Wijnaldum and Milner solid and Keita shows in moments how good he is.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sure they don't have the same financial power as City, they're rich, but not as rich as City. Still they used the resources available in the best possible way.
Yeah, they did, their transfer record is excellent. They turned a difficult situation with Coutinho to their advantage, it's very impressive.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Hang on.

Didn't you say this ?

Two games in and you are saying he is shite and nothing like his usual self from last season.

My response .....

Let's have this conversation in a few months.
Yes. I'm talking about the game we just saw?

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Well that doesn't say much, since we've been quite consistently better than them for the last 30 years or so.
30 years or so goes to 1988 at least and considering United since Fergie left ;) . I say the same thing to Liverpool fans and think the same thing when pundits say it about us on 30 years of domination . Liverpools domination was from the mid 70's to 1991 . Not having a go mate I just like to get the facts right.

George The Best

Yeah, they did, their transfer record is excellent. They turned a difficult situation with Coutinho to their advantage, it's very impressive.
Have to agree. They have managed to out-manoeuvre most of the EPL in the transfer market by targeting and obtaining a very good squad. Why we can’t do the same I have no idea.

PS: why is Klopp wearing Dick Emery’s teeth in the post match interview?

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I'm talking about that game, come on man.
Ok. Sound but its the way I read it I guess . Its internet talk that I find hard to get the jist if what someone is actually trying to say.

All cool .

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
That's always been my argument when people on here bring up how much money we've spent on players under Jurgen Klopp. We've lost top class players over recent years with the likes of Suarez, Sterling, & Coutinho all wanting out. City, Chelsea, & United haven't lost anywhere near the quality of players we have during the same period, but they've still been able to attract, & buy, some excellent acquisitions to help strengthen the team, & the squad. In fact when United signed Pogba Jose boasted about how only a 'big club' like United could afford to pay for the Frenchman. Our record in the transfer market since Klopp arrived has been staggeringly good. So much so that our team, & squad, is beyond recognition from what we had just a few years ago. Imagine how good we'd be if we could have kept hold of those 3 aforementioned players, & had the funds to buy the players we have since they've left. Still, our bench last night looked pretty strong, so that's another good indicator of how well we've progressed. The fact that a £40 million summer signing (Fabinho) didn't even make the subs bench further highlights that we now have a fairly strong squad. Of course, all this is well & good, but it's what we do over the course of the season, & the next few seasons, that will ultimately determine just how good Klopp is.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
That was a tough game. Palace I felt were quite good, especially in defence. A year ago, I don't think we're winning that game.

Could see the difference having guys like Allison and VVD at the back though. No shitting bricks. Just composed defending.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That was a tough game. Palace I felt were quite good, especially in defence. A year ago, I don't think we're winning that game.

Could see the difference having guys like Allison and VVD at the back though. No shitting bricks. Just composed defending.
I said to my mate yesterday we would've conceded one with Karius between the sticks, I was sure of it. Alisson looked cool and composed, really liked that yeah. VVD a rock as usual which even made Gomez look like a good CB again.

Now win against Brighton at home and don't lose at Leicester and we've had a good start of the season before the international break.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
PS: why is Klopp wearing Dick Emery’s teeth in the post match interview?
Ooh you are awful, but I like you.

Bet there's a fair few on here thinking, Who the feck is Dick Emery? Who does he manage? Is he related to the Arsenal manager Unai Emery?

RedFish

Still not going to worry about Liverpool winning one of the big trophies until they actually do it, Liverpool have been perineal bottlers for years now and as result it's going to be hilarious to see their fans get their hopes up before their dreams are crushed yet again.

Can't wait for the next Karius clanger, Gerrard slip or Crystanbul moment because when Liverpool come up short for the big prize they always fail in spectacular fashion.

Liverpool winning the league or Champions League is like England winning a major tournament, the fans will start dreaming before the team bottles it in heartbreaking fashion.
Excellent post. Welcome to the Caf!

Paul Martin

Supports
Liverpool
After years of being hit & miss (mainly miss) in the market, we're finally coming good! Particularly with waiting a full season for Keita and half a season to secure VVD. Think those signings will be huge the next couple of years.

Paul Martin

Supports
Liverpool
Still not going to worry about Liverpool winning one of the big trophies until they actually do it, Liverpool have been perineal bottlers for years now and as result it's going to be hilarious to see their fans get their hopes up before their dreams are crushed yet again.

Can't wait for the next Karius clanger, Gerrard slip or Crystanbul moment because when Liverpool come up short for the big prize they always fail in spectacular fashion.

Liverpool winning the league or Champions League is like England winning a major tournament, the fans will start dreaming before the team bottles it in heartbreaking fashion.
Good user-name

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
After years of being hit & miss (mainly miss) in the market, we're finally coming good! Particularly with waiting a full season for Keita and half a season to secure VVD. Think those signings will be huge the next couple of years.
Damn, another Liverpool fan :lol:

Poor United fans getting swamped right now, it's like a hostile takeover!