Premier League Gameweek 2

Walters_19_MuFc

The manager shat the bed over one injury. They were well in the race in the first half of the season and were top after Christmas.
To be fair, we saw the effect of what can happen when your best defender is out. We were quite poor without Maguire.

Nick7

I can’t believe Arsenal signed two players that don’t really improve them over how they were last season over signing Bissouma.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
The manager shat the bed over one injury. They were well in the race in the first half of the season and were top after Christmas.
They were top after 15 games in December, while Van Dijk got injured in the 5th game, in October. So, it's just not Van Dijk. However, you want to spin it, Liverpool had regular injuries to players whose cumulative effect was quite significant. Plus, Klopp's boneheaded move to play Fabinho and Henderson lost them the balance.

This one injury claim is disingenuous at best. They were playing Phillips and Rhys Williams at CB, for the large part of the season.

Walters_19_MuFc

No. I expect you to answer my question, after answering yours. As it's been pointed out by a few other people, the key players they did have were misfiring, just as they were before they picked up Injuries. Their performances were consistent throughout the season.

Wait. So you now accept they weren't playing great? After all that bullshit about it just being about the 7-2 result, you know acknowledge the nucleus of my point?

So just to clarify, you think Liverpool would've gone on a record breaking run to challenge for the title? Because that's pretty much the only way they would remain competitive.

No I didn't expect City to do that. But I also think City has a better team, and Liverpools only title win is an outlier and not the normal. Expecting Liverpool to put up incredible numbers every season because they did it last season is akin to expecting United to win the treble in 2000 because they did it in 99.

When did I say they were playing great? Actually, I quite clearly said both Liverpool and City made poor starts to the season, but when have titles been won by playing ''great''? They are won by grinding out victories when playing poorly. United did it year after year under Sir Alex.

Why not? We were pretty close to City until we decided to throw it away against clubs we should have been beating. They lost 6 games (same amount as us). They weren't exactly the invincibles were they?

RooneyLegend

Liverpool lost all their defenders last season and tried to get by, by playing midfielders or kids, poor signings and the likes back there. It's obvious they're in the title race if their defenders stay fit.

It's hard for defenders to defend in that system if they don't have the quality for it. Personally I think they're the favorites this season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bissouma is very good. Wish we went in for him.
I think we’ll either look to develop Garner further or/and go for a younger version in one of the French lads we’re linked with. Bissouma would cost £50 mill I’d say which is cheaper than Rice but maybe we can save a shed load

Zoo

With Amad wanting a PL loan I’d like to see him under Potter at Brighton.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
When did I say they were playing great? Actually, I quite clearly said both Liverpool and City made poor starts to the season, but when have titles been won by playing ''great''? They are won by grinding out victories when playing poorly. United did it year after year under Sir Alex.

Why not? We were pretty close to City until we decided to throw it away against clubs we should have been beating. They lost 6 games (same amount as us). They weren't exactly the invincibles were they?
I didn't say you said they were playing great. You've completely misunderstood. Despite saying they were playing poor before the injuries (several more times than mentioning the Villa game), you've kept banging on about the Villa game being my 'only evidence.' For you to acknowledge it now is a little strange considering all you've said before. Clearly my opinion wasn't formed because of one game but you've decided to maintain that bizarre claim anyway.

Correct. Year after year we won the PL. And now, City are going through a phase of winning consistently as well. Liverpool won it once. This 'blip' has come about as frequently as Liverpool winning the PL.

Because it's a feat that's never been achieved. When something is incredibly rare, it's inherently hard to achieve and even harder to replicate. How often do teams defend their titles? How often do teams win 21 games on the bounce? How often did teams get circa 100 points in a single season? Or go unbeaten away from home all season? It flies in the face of common sense to expect them to do it again just because they did it once before. Particularly when that team had been playing poorly, recorded their worst ever defeat in the premier league, the players that played before and after the injuries put in consistently poor performances, and a better team with a better squad went on a record breaking streak in a gruelling season where heavy rotation would've been needed to compete anyway.

Zoo

What’s the point in that if we would play him as a winger?
A winger with licence to cut inside. Brighton are also very fluid going forward. He just needs to play in a good footballing team that won’t be scrapping for their lives.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They were top after 15 games in December, while Van Dijk got injured in the 5th game, in October. So, it's just not Van Dijk. However, you want to spin it, Liverpool had regular injuries to players whose cumulative effect was quite significant. Plus, Klopp's boneheaded move to play Fabinho and Henderson lost them the balance.

This one injury claim is disingenuous at best. They were playing Phillips and Rhys Williams at CB, for the large part of the season.
Heard a comment during the second half that Matip had now (at that point in the half) played more minutes this season than the whole of last season.

He was my MotM today. People just don't realise how good he is because he doesn't stay injury free enough. Liverpool fans know.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

It was mainly down to Klopp and whoever else is in charge of transfers. I've basically said as much in my posts.

I know they didn't only have one injury, but what title challenging squad enters a season with just three (injury prone) centre backs? It was terrible squad management. In 09/10 when United lost 3-0 to Fulham with a back three of De Laet, Fletcher and Carrick, we were missing Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown, O'Shea and Evans. The only one injury prone (at that time) was Brown.

You've just agreed with me regarding van Dijk. The injuries weren't the issue. The issue was with management of the squad, and that includes both transfers (in and out) and matchday lineups.

I'd say the bulk of the blame for how their season panned out lies with Klopp, and the bulk of the rest with their transfer committee/board. It's not at all disingenuous to say that they only had one key injury given that Gomez has an average of 14 league games per season in his 7 years as a senior footballer (and only two seasons of 20+ appearances) and Matip only made 9 appearances the season before.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Watford are gonna struggle to stay up.
They beat Villa last week.

This season the bottom 2 will be Norwich and Crystal Palace. The last place will be between about 3-4 clubs.

Norwich are shite.

Crystal Palace are frankly a mess. I said it a few weeks ago. They have absolutely no goals in their team. They struggle to score and that’s why woy put Zaha up front. They have no addressed it and it’s finally going to cost them. Viera will be gone by end of October.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
City had their one bogey team (Spurs) last week and one bend over today (Norwich).

Liverpool had everyone's favourite whipping boys Norwich last week and a mini bogey team Burnley today.

Chelsea had a sort of bend over team last week and a bogey tomorrow.

Utd had their bend over Leeds and a mini bogey team tomorrow.

Tomorrow's games could be interesting.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Crystal Palace are frankly a mess. I said it a few weeks ago. They have absolutely no goals in their team. They struggle to score and that’s why woy put Zaha up front. They have no addressed it and it’s finally going to cost them. Viera will be gone by end of October.
Yeah, I'm not too optimistic for Vieira as well. The wholesale changes they've made to their squad remind me a bit of Sunderland's summer transfers under Di Canio.

Walters_19_MuFc

I didn't say you said they were playing great. You've completely misunderstood. Despite saying they were playing poor before the injuries (several more times than mentioning the Villa game), you've kept banging on about the Villa game being my 'only evidence.' For you to acknowledge it now is a little strange considering all you've said before. Clearly my opinion wasn't formed because of one game but you've decided to maintain that bizarre claim anyway.

Correct. Year after year we won the PL. And now, City are going through a phase of winning consistently as well. Liverpool won it once. This 'blip' has come about as frequently as Liverpool winning the PL.

Because it's a feat that's never been achieved. When something is incredibly rare, it's inherently hard to achieve and even harder to replicate. How often do teams defend their titles? How often do teams win 21 games on the bounce? How often did teams get circa 100 points in a single season? Or go unbeaten away from home all season? It flies in the face of common sense to expect them to do it again just because they did it once before. Particularly when that team had been playing poorly, recorded their worst ever defeat in the premier league, the players that played before and after the injuries put in consistently poor performances, and a better team with a better squad went on a record breaking streak in a gruelling season where heavy rotation would've been needed to compete anyway.
Your reply to my first comment was "they were looking dodgy before then. The 7-2 loss to Villa came when they pretty much had a full side". You used Villa to reference their poor start. Then when I mentioned City to counteract your argument, saying they also made a poor start, you then said "they didn't lose in such fashion, making it entirely different". Again, mentioning the Villa game.

Fact is, statistically, Liverpool made a better start to the season than City, managing to conjure up 21 points from their first 10 games, with City managing 15.

You kept going on about how Liverpool "were getting smashed by the likes of Villa before the injuries, so to say their blip was purely down to injuries doesn't really float". Who else did they get smashed against?

Liverpool did win it once, and I believe, as I said in my initial post before you wanted to be so pedantic, that I believe they would have challenged again without crucial injuries to their team. Who's to say they wouldn't have won it again? Absolutely no one, apart from the fact they were smashed 7-2 by Villa. :rolleyes:

Again, you're talking about the 21 wins on the bounce. That is fantastic, no doubt. But in that season, they lost 6 games and as I said, we'd (United) would have been much close to them if we didn't feck things up. Actually, wasn't it us who ended their 21 win streak, under an Ole side that went on to go unbeaten away from home all season? Yes, I think it was!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Your reply to my first comment was "they were looking dodgy before then. The 7-2 loss to Villa came when they pretty much had a full side". You used Villa to reference their poor start. Then when I mentioned City to counteract your argument, saying they also made a poor start, you then said "they didn't lose in such fashion, making it entirely different". Again, mentioning the Villa game.

Fact is, statistically, Liverpool made a better start to the season than City, managing to conjure up 21 points from their first 10 games, with City managing 15.

You kept going on about how Liverpool "were getting smashed by the likes of Villa before the injuries, so to say their blip was purely down to injuries doesn't really float". Who else did they get smashed against?

Liverpool did win it once, and I believe, as I said in my initial post before you wanted to be so pedantic, that I believe they would have challenged again without crucial injuries to their team. Who's to say they wouldn't have won it again? Absolutely no one, apart from the fact they were smashed 7-2 by Villa. :rolleyes:

Again, you're talking about the 21 wins on the bounce. That is fantastic, no doubt. But in that season, they lost 6 games and as I said, we'd (United) would have been much close to them if we didn't feck things up. Actually, wasn't it us who ended their 21 win streak, under an Ole side that went on to go unbeaten away from home all season? Yes, I think it was!
Ok. I have no energy left for this. I think it'll leave it there and we'll agree to disagree. :)