Premier League Gameweek 23

Bulldog United

I think people get hung up on this "accidental" business.

The Southampton guy didn't mean to smash McTominay in our game. Soucek didn't mean to elbow Mitty in the face.
But both did.

Harsh, but hard luck.
Maybe I'm just happy rivals have him in fantasy footy :)
Yeah I think maybe you are just overly happy about the latter part. Nothing wrong with that. :D

Bulldog United

I'm sure when Dean goes over to the monitor it is to have a look at himself.
I think he was also considering the headlines and whether it would really be worth throwing another red card around in a game like this. He landed on yes, and the reaction suggests he made the right call. He's the star of the show.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I don’t think it’s ludicrous for Mike Dean to look at that on VAR and decide it’s a red. He’s literally raised his arm and connected with his opponents face with his elbow. Red card.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think he was also considering the headlines and whether it would really be worth throwing another red card around in a game like this. He landed on yes, and the reaction suggests he made the right call. He's the star of the show.
To me if referee has had a good game you shouldn't even notice him. That is never the case with Mike Dean.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The thing is with that red card, is that the replay he kept looking at was the one where the elbow made contact, and not watching the whole thing which gave more context to the situation.

He just kept repeatedly looking at Soucek smack someone in the face with his elbow for about 20 times

Bulldog United

It's certainly clumsy, but the way he pulls his elbow and arm away shows it's 100% accidental and the contact looks minimal too. You see far worse /more forceful accidental elbows unpunished on VAR review. It's a diabolical decision.

Gordon S

The worst thing about this is that it keeps rewarding acting. If Mitrovic doesn`t fall to the ground like someone hit him with an axe no one would have even noticed the elbow brushing his face.

Infestissumam

some refs really need to understand that people don't watch football because of them ffs. Clattenburg was the same, always had to be the center of attention.

joke of a red. Incredible that they take all this time to review stuff, only to come to the wrong conclusion once again.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I don’t think it’s ludicrous for Mike Dean to look at that on VAR and decide it’s a red. He’s literally raised his arm and connected with his opponents face with his elbow. Red card.
Yeah I agree. The reaction to this has been weird.

I hate the argument that he didn't mean it so it shouldn't be a red card. That doesn't apply when a player is a split second late in a tackle and gets a red so why should it apply when you elbow someone? It was reckless.

If it wasn't Mike Dean there wouldn't be quite the uproar that we're seeing. The faux outrage from Sky is hilarious. Clear agenda against Dean who, admittedly, is a terrible and arrogant referee.

Berbaclass

It's certainly clumsy, but the way he pulls his elbow and arm away shows it's 100% accidental and the contact looks minimal too. You see far worse /more forceful accidental elbows unpunished on VAR review. It's a diabolical decision.
He probably saw the ref was looking right at him and though shit I’ve just elbowed a guy in the face, better act shocked.

Bulldog United

Yeah I agree. The reaction to this has been weird.

I hate the argument that he didn't mean it so it shouldn't be a red card. That doesn't apply when a player is a split second late in a tackle and gets a red so why should it apply when you elbow someone? It was reckless.

If it wasn't Mike Dean there wouldn't be quite the uproar that we're seeing. The faux outrage from Sky is hilarious. Clear agenda against Dean who, admittedly, is a terrible and arrogant referee.
The proof will be in whether the decision is upheld or not. I think it'll be overturned in about 2 mins when appealed because it's not a red card according to the rules of the game as I understand them. If I'm wrong, I'll be disappointed, but I'll hold my hands up while keeping my elbows away from everyone.

Berbaclass

The proof will be in whether the decision is upheld or not. I think it'll be overturned in about 2 mins when appealed because it's not a red card according to the rules of the game as I understand them. If I'm wrong, I'll be disappointed, but I'll hold my hands up while keeping my elbows away from everyone.
Overturning it doesn’t even mean it’s wrong though. It’s just someone else’s interpretation of the rules.

Bednarek got overturned and I think that was a red card.

Sara125

I just hate how this spin on this is gonna be “debatable red card means he conveniently misses United game” the two PL games after are equally important as they can potentially see WH creeping into top 4

Berbaclass

I genuinely hate this “games gone mad” cliche that everyone trots out after a semi-questionable decision.

Bulldog United

Overturning it doesn’t even mean it’s wrong though. It’s just someone else’s interpretation of the rules.

Bednarek got overturned and I think that was a red card.
You can certainly choose to believe you were still right, as Mike Dean will himself. :D

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I genuinely hate this “games gone mad” cliche that everyone trots out after a semi-questionable decision.
I used to feel the same.

Until VAR. Now it really has.

Ref at fault but noone even looks at it without VAR. We would all be happy.

Berbaclass

You can certainly choose to believe you were still right, as Mike Dean will himself. :D
I’m not really that fussed about it dude, it doesn’t matter to me in any way. I just gave my opinion that I don’t really think it’s a terrible decision and I can absolutely see why the referee came to the conclusion that he did.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep. He didn't need to raise his elbow that high, irrespective of it being accidental, or him being tall, or anything else. He wasn't even being held, which is often reason for players to shake out a bit.

Deery

Dreary
Apart from Tom Davis that looks an alright Everton side, could be a hard night this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just hate how this spin on this is gonna be “debatable red card means he conveniently misses United game” the two PL games after are equally important as they can potentially see WH creeping into top 4
He doesn't even miss the United game though does he? Different competition!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Plenty of harsh red cards that (on balance) shouldn't be given don't get overturned though.

In this case Soucek's elbow was definitely high and definitely made contact, so I doubt it will be overturned.

Bulldog United

I’m not really that fussed about it dude, it doesn’t matter to me in any way. I just gave my opinion that I don’t really think it’s a terrible decision and I can absolutely see why the referee came to the conclusion that he did.
I can understand why some people will share your opinion too. Me being in agreement with Gary Lineker is disturbing..... some would say: games gone mad. :D Definitely share your aint too fussed about it feeling. Fun to debate now, but we'll all forget about after thumping Everton in the next couple hours. ;)

Sara125

He doesn't even miss the United game though does he? Different competition!
I didn’t take that into account. Just saw bitters on bluemoon (and one or two on rawk) talk about how this is conveniently set up for the ‘rags’ and the game is ‘bent’ :lol:

edit: added a word

Bulldog United

Plenty of harsh red cards that (on balance) shouldn't be given don't get overturned though.

In this case Soucek's elbow was definitely high and definitely made contact, so I doubt it will be overturned.
Agreed, but they tend to only overturn the blatantly obvious incorrect decisions. That's why I'm interested in what they do here. Many of us think it's a shocker, but if they don't overturn it I'll accept we were wrong.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I didn’t take that account. Just saw bitters on bluemoon (and one or two on rawk) talk about how this is conveniently set up for the ‘rags’ and the game is ‘bent’ :lol:
Yeah i'm not sure how long this rule has been in place, but a lot of people certainly don't realise it.

I think the big flaw is if you get sent off in the cup, and get knocked out, you can in effect get away with serving your suspension for 9 months or so, or never serve it if you change league.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agreed, but they tend to only overturn the blatantly obvious incorrect decisions. That's why I'm interested in what they do here. Many of us think it's a shocker, but if they don't overturn it I'll accept we were wrong.
We've already discussed it between ourselves, but the strange bit was that Dean seemed to be looking right at it in real time. Maybe it happened too quick and he wasn't quite focused on them - which he wouldn't be, not knowing it would happen.

alexthelion

Exactly, what's he doing with his arm anyway?

Sara125

Yeah i'm not sure how long this rule has been in place, but a lot of people certainly don't realise it.

I think the big flaw is if you get sent off in the cup, and get knocked out, you can in effect get away with serving your suspension for 9 months or so, or never serve it if you change league.
Sorry I just realised I meant to say into* account but anyway I wasn’t aware of that last bit how long has it been a thing?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sorry I just realised I meant to say into* account but anyway I wasn’t aware of that last bit how long has it been a thing?
Not sure, my first line was me saying I wasn't sure :lol: