Premier League Gameweek 24

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Interesting team Leicester. They don't look particularly good going forward but are strong defensively and confident in midfield.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
That's the hope Utd kept last season to finish above you. And I guess we have to keep to try to finish above you this season.
Still a lot of football to play yet.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Klopp is moaning about their first goal despite being legitimate?

AJ Bullet

Oh I don’t know ...... we had a really, really good go at getting ourselves relegated in 16/17.
At least no muppets tried comparing your team to the 99 treble winners or the side that won 3 back to back Prem's.

Riz

Did Klopp just try to argue that the offside rule should apply when Amartey goes to touch the ball as opposed to when Maddison kick it? :lol:

MUFromLTU

I had a thought about Moyeses and Lingardinho's West Ham taking 4th, leaving Liverpool out of Champions League and I can't stop thinking about that since.

Teja

Damn I sat through 70 mins of Liverpool playing well and turned the TV off as soon as Salah scored.

Ahh I'm really annoyed I missed the comeback.

Bulldog United

:D

It wasn't that long ago some of our supporters were cheering Man City goals against Chelsea because they wanted that insurance policy to stop Liverpool going to 20. I said at the time, I had a feeling they might regret that later in the season. Liverpool have looked terrible all season. It's only fair that the results are beginning to reflect their performances now.

Liverpool are 4/9 to finish in the top four with the bookies right now, still a shorter price than Leicester at 4/7. I wouldn't back Liverpool top finish in the Champions League places if their odds were even money on current form. At some point, you have to accept this is not a temporary blip that will rectify itself before the season is done. It's starting to look like the Dortmund farewell all over again right now for Klopp.

The Leipzig game could be a lot of fun next week. Liverpool's defence and midfield is looking atrocious atm. The Germans should fancy their chances.

Liverpool finishing outside the top four will have major ramifications for their summer transfer business.

United are back. The pieces are all falling into place for us. :devil:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Star Trek fact.

Most Vulcans are vegetarians and do not touch food with their hands unless they are wearing special gloves.

Mcking

I like Nick Pope, and he is a fantastic goalkeeper, but one thing that worries me about him potentially playing away from Burnley is that whenever I watch them play, all the shots against them always seem to be straight at him.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I like Nick Pope, and he is a fantastic goalkeeper, but one thing that worries me about him potentially playing away from Burnley is that whenever I watch them play, all the shots against them always seem to be straight at him.
I haven't watched this match but Burnley restrict a lot shots from the edge of the box as they get back in numbers. Pope has a lot to deal with but they're usually relatively simple.

They also did the same thing when Heaton was there and he looked amazing in that set-up as well.

Not saying Pope is bad (he's ace in their team).

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don't know how into your stats you are, but I think one of those newer ones is supposed to give some insight into that.

First there was xG or expected goals that was trying to quantify the chances of scoring from a specific place on the pitch. They took that and applied it to goalies too as the chances of scoring are the same as the chances of conceding from the 'keepers point of view of course. They then compared how many goals goalies let in compared to expectations.

That wouldn't apply to what you were talking about but then they went further with post-shot xG that actually looks at how good the shots were too. Basic xG would include shots that were off target but that's no good for measuring goalie performance. Post shot xG eliminated those and looked at stuff like the height of the shot, how far into the corner it was going etc to try and evaluate 'keepers as I understand it. Never really looked into tin massive detail, but in theory it should be best one for telling you about the quality of the saves themselves.

I just had a bit of peek at this explanation but can't really be bothered reading it all - https://statsbomb.com/2018/11/a-new-way-to-measure-keepers-shot-stopping-post-shot-expected-goals/

Edit, should probably link to some of those stats - https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

According to that, when taking into account how good the shots were, Pope has let in 6.5 goals fewer than he should have been expected to if he was bang average. That makes him the best in the league this season so far on that metric (2nd table sorted by PsxG +/- column).

Last edited: