Premier League Gameweek 25

Bertie Wooster

Easy to be that with Ndidi protecting their defence
Yeah, very frustrating that they've managed to get him after Kante.

Both the kind of defensive midfielder - in the Essien / Makelele style - that I've been desperate for us to get for years.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
the CDM issue wouldn't be such a concern if we had him as another creative midfield option and proper RW
Think we need one more CB, then as you say someone like Grealish and a Sancho. Although I still want to see what Amad Diallo offers. Depends what money we have, that we boast we have it when really we don't.

Bertie Wooster

Essien and Makelele were completely different players in my mind.
Ah, you think they were full backs? Wingers? #10's?

I thought all four were strong, energetic defensive midfielders great at breaking up oppositions attacks. With Essien and Kante maybe a little better on the ball than the other two.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

I thought all four were strong, energetic defensive midfielders great at breaking up oppositions attacks. With Essien and Kante maybe a little better on the ball than the other two.
Makelele was positionally disciplined, barely moved from his zone in front of the back four, and played very simple passes into more adventurous players.

Essien was a box to box force of nature before injuries beset him, with fantastic technical capacity.

They were worlds apart in terms of their functions for the team.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
They were totally different players. Essien would be more similar to Kante. Neither are anything like Makelele.
Agreed. That said, I think Essien gave you more on the ball, while Kante has been phenomenal at pressing and winning the ball back.

Bertie Wooster

They were totally different players. Essien would be more similar to Kante. Neither are anything like Makelele.
Essien and Kante offer more on the ball than Makelele as defensive midfielders, and could get forward more. But all three's main role was offering brilliant energy and defensive work breaking up oppositions attacks.

They are / were three of the best defensive midfielders in the game, operating in the same area of the pitch - so to say they're totally different and nothing alike is wrong.

When you're discussing the best defensive midfielders ever to play in the PL they'll be three right up there in the conversation. Of course they're comparable. While, obviously, not being clones of each other.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Leicester looking really good here, if they stay injury free and maintain this form they look a cert for top four. It’s important we respond well tonight and let the chasing pack no we wont be giving up our CL spot.
We’re still missing Justin and Fofana.

Slowly getting a full team back though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Dean Smith seems to be getting back into his bad old ways from last season, we lose Grealish so chance to bring in another midfielder and close out the space. Instead we play with three attackers behind Ollie and give Barnes and Maddison freedom of Villa Park.

I sort of wrote off this game beforehand but we've made it far too easy for Leicester.

Bertie Wooster

Makelele was positionally disciplined, barely moved from his zone in front of the back four, and played very simple passes into more adventurous players.

Essien was a box to box force of nature before injuries beset him, with fantastic technical capacity.

They were worlds apart in terms of their functions for the team.
I've already covered all that in a previous post. Just to say: yeah, I know Essien and Kante get up and down more than Makelele. And offered more on the ball. But their main assets were being 3 of the best defensive midfielders ever to play in the PL. So I was just naming those, in a post about defensive midfielders, as being 3 who offered great defensive work and how I've wanted us to sign someone like that.

Yes, Kante and Essien also offered something on the ball. But I was only focusing on the defensive duties side of it, as that's what my post was about. And so I was saying I wished we'd signed defensive midfielders of the ability of Makelele, Kante, Essien. Not that all 3 were identical players.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I've already covered all that in a previous post. Just to say: yeah, I know Essien and Kante get up and down more than Makelele. And offered more on the ball. But their main assets were being 3 of the best defensive midfielders ever to play in the PL. So I was just naming those, in a post about defensive midfielders, as being 3 who offered great defensive work and how I've wanted us to sign someone like that.

Yes, Kante and Essien also offered something on the ball. But I was only focusing on the defensive duties side of it, as that's what my post was about. And so I was saying I wished we'd signed defensive midfielders of the ability of Makelele, Kante, Essien. Not that all 3 were identical players.
That’s fair enough, I just don’t see Essien in any way shape or form a defensive midfield player.

thepolice123

Essien and Kante offer more on the ball than Makelele as defensive midfielders, and could get forward more. But all three's main role was offering brilliant energy and defensive work breaking up oppositions attacks.

They are / were three of the best defensive midfielders in the game, operating in the same area of the pitch - so to say they're totally different and nothing alike is wrong.

When you're discussing the best defensive midfielders ever to play in the PL they'll be three right up there in the conversation. Of course they're comparable. While, obviously, not being clones of each other.
The areas where they mainly operate on the pitch would tell you that they fall into a different category of midfielder, isn’t that how we identify a player’s role and function in team? Many defensive midfielders don’t provide energy and aggression but are still top class.

Kante and Essien belong to the same group of midfielders like Henderson, Fred/McTominay, Vidal etc.

Makelele is similar to players like Carrick, Matic, Busquets, Rodri, Fabinho.

Santos J

Fecking hell that's worse defending than some of ours, how much space did Traore have there

bsCallout

Essien and Makelele were completely different players in my mind.

I can understand the Kante/Makalele comparison. Essie wasn't anything like them though, Essein was a true CM. All rounder.

Kante and Makelele are pretty much only in the team for their defensive duties. To get the ball and play it off to someone else.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I can understand the Kante/Makalele comparison. Essie wasn't anything like them though, Essein was a true CM. All rounder.

Kante and Makelele are pretty much only in the team for their defensive duties. To get the ball and play it off to someone else.
Kante covers so much ground, whereas Makelele was all about that positional discipline in front of the back four.

I think they are both defensive midfield players but in totally different moulds.

Similarly, I would call Carrick and Busquets defensive midfielders, but nothing like the aforementioned names.

Bertie Wooster

That’s fair enough, I just don’t see Essien in any way shape or form a defensive midfield player.
OK.
I guess, yeah, he was such a great, complete player that you can't just class him as a 'defensive midfielder' as he contributed box to box.

But, for me, his 'world class' attributes were his strength, energy and defensive work. He was also good on the ball, and got forward really well and linked up in attacks, but his attacking attributes, and goal and assist ratio, weren't world class level.

I saw him as a complete midfielder, who could play as a world class box-to-box player or world class defensive midfielder - but I never saw him as a world class attacking midfielder / #10.

Last edited: