Premier League Gameweek 26

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There will be no penalty if:

• the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
  • the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
You're getting confused between defensive and attacking handballs, which are judged differently.

In this case any contact with the hand, even accidental, sees the goal disallowed.

NinjaFletch

There will be no penalty if:

• the ball touches a player's hand/arm immediately from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player.
  • the ball touches a player's hand/arm close to their body and has not made their silhouette unnaturally bigger.
I literally quoted the correct laws to you by drawing attention to @JakeC 's reply and you went out of your way to find the wrong ones. :lol:

Again:

If an attacking player accidentally touches the ball with their hand or arm and then scores a goal, or the ball goes to another attacking player and they immediately score, this is a handball offence.

I've made it helpfully bold, too.

It's a dumb as feck rule, and I hate that it is one, but it is and there's absolutely nothing the referee can do there but rule the goal out. Anything else is, unfortunately, the wrong decision.

NinjaFletch

I think many people remember this rule coming in, but have no idea whether or not it’s still in effect. There’s been so much flip flopping since. It used to be any slight touch of anyone’s hand and the whole thing grinds to a halt. Then they allowed leeway, then it turned out only on some cases. It’s a mess.

For what it’s worth, rules or not, I think ruling that out is harsh.
Yeah, IFAB's decision to become interventionist has been very poorly thought though and when the inevitable consequences of their own stupid changes have been seen, they've been scrambling to clean up the mess. The rationale for this change ('football expects that a goal will never be scored with a hand' or words to that effect) seems shaky to me and we've seen it has caused more problems than its solved.

I think that goal should count, too, but unfortunately as things stand the referee has made a correct (and relatively easy) decision.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What is it about that side of that goal at Craven Cottage that messes with the eyes? I was convinced that was in, same as when Bailly nearly turned into his own net when we played Fulham.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Mitrovic is only on the pitch, and he's the one moving the least. Shocking.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Imagine standing on the far post on a long throw.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Get the feck in. Absolute garbage tonight and Gomes did his best to lose us the game but that's another 3 points on the board. Excellent.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Crazy how much debate and outrage there is from fans when it comes to clear cut rules.

Probably scarier how little actual players know of the rules from time to time, but people spend a lot of time getting wound up over the rules vs actual bad decisions

RashyForPM

I'm surprised so many have forgotten. It was such a hot topic at the start of last season.

It really is ridiculous, but it does not matter AT ALL whether it's accidental or deliberate; if it hits your arm immediately before a goal is scored it is ruled out 100% of the time.
I do remember some plain stupid decisions last season, like the Moura one when he was falling. Thought they made it more lenient but apparently not. Absolutely awful decision, albeit not the refs fault.

This is possibly the stupidest rule in football.

NinjaFletch

I do remember some plain stupid decisions last season, like the Moura one when he was falling. Thought they made it more lenient but apparently not. Absolutely awful decision, albeit not the refs fault.

This is possibly the stupidest rule in football.
I think the change you're remembering is they tightened up the amount of time allowed between an accidental touch and the goal. In this instance, it was the touch immediately before it fell to Maja so, unfortunately, it's well within the remits of the law. I really wish they'd just scrap it entirely.

RashyForPM

I can’t say that either of Everton or Spurs concern me. They both played badly for lack of a better word and survived through correct by the law but lucky VAR decisions (Everton less so as Diagne was a yard off). We’re obviously awful at the moment so if both grind out results, they’ll overtake us, but neither look great themselves.

RashyForPM

I think the change you're remembering is they tightened up the amount of time allowed between an accidental touch and the goal. In this instance, it was the touch immediately before it fell to Maja so, unfortunately, it's well within the remits of the law. I really wish they'd just scrap it entirely.
Yeah you’re correct. Absolutely ridiculous law. Great goal by a really good striker ruled out for no good reason. Spurs can claim they should have had a pen, but that Maja call was 10x worse.

always_hoping

Who would have thought in September that come the 27th game of the season a Chelsea v Liverpool game would be between 6th and 7th in the table and both 20+ points away from 1st?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Fulham look the most competent of any of the teams scrapping down there. Usually when you watch a relegation candidate there’s more than the odd clogger, but they all look really good on the ball and seem unlucky to drop points whenever I see them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We are now only 3 points and 1 win away from our total from last season with 12 games left. Huge improvement.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ashley Cole talks like he’s just done 3 fat lines of ketamine.

Judas

Open to offers
Looking at the table and who teams around us are playing, last night was just another in an annoyingly long list of feck ups this year. A win would have been the sort of breathing space we needed, just infuriating.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bloody hell, Allison’s first game back and just before it kicks off he has to partake in a minutes applause for Ian St John. That’s got to be tough mentally when he’s trying to keep a clear head and focus on the game.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Mane finally stats on his feet. He could have went down and got a penalty there.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Are you confident you will finish above that other team?
No, but I am happy with competing for the European spots considering where we have been in prior seasons. A EL spot would be an excellent season for us.