Premier League Gameweek 31

arthurka

Why slow motion can be a bad thing at times. He won the ball very cleanly but has followed through. Yellow card was correct
Agree, slow motion makes everything look much worse. Thought it was a hard tackle but a good one. Yellow was the correct call. Didn't lead with the studs just won the ball and hit the player afterwards. This is why I hate VAR it can make every tackle look like a bad one.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Absolutely amazed that people could consider that to be anything other than a red card. Studs up, straight into Jesus at knee height. You don’t go for the ball in that position. If that was Fernandes, all of you would be going ballistic if that wasn’t given as a red.

Dante

Average bang
Agree with whatever happens on the pitch anyway. Utter waste of space.
He's like one of those annoying kids at school who's desperately trying to impress the cool group.

ref shows a yellow:
"Yeah, definitely a yellow. That's what I thought too. Spot on refereeing.Good call. Please like me."

ref changes mind to a red:
"Yeah, definitely a red. It's more obvious now that I'm looking at it closely. That's what I thought all along. Good call. Please like me."

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The red was harsh for me. He wins the ball cleanly and catches the man afterwards. I understand those that say it’s above the knee but that’s where the ball is. It was there to be won and he won it.

By modern standards it probably is a red, but I’d like to have seen a yellow and a talking to. Just me though.

Nick7

It’s beyond me how people can look at that and say it’s not a red card :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s beyond me how people can look at that and say it’s not a red card :lol:
Red tinted specs maybe. If Thiago did the same thing later we’d definitely be less lenient but at the same time you feel for any player sent off for winning the ball.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I didn't think it was red until I saw the second angle. It was unintentional and he won the ball, but that follow through was dangerous and could've easily given Jesus a nasty injury. Think a red's inevitable given the rules and the desire to protect players.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Mate if thats a red card then Sterling inadvertently stamping on Raphinia earlier in the game was one too. That was studs to the leg too. Not even a foul given or checked by VAR.
Come on now. We both know that there is absolutely no comparison of the two. Sterling was avoiding a tackle himself and landed on Raphinha’s leg. Nothing he could’ve done to avoid that. On the contrary, Cooper’s challenge was completely reckless.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
It’s a blatant red card ffs :lol:

90 + 5min

Never a red card. He takes the ball. End of. We can't have this "you can't touch him after tackle" nonsens.

Terminator

Barely scrapes Jesus's knee who makes an absolute meal out of it. :lol:

What is the defender supposed to do? Not clear the ball? Everything the defender did is natural motion to me.

diarm

The touching the ball is irrelevant if you do it in such a way that your follow through catches an opponent that high up the leg.

It's a stonewall red card.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I didn't think it was red until I saw the second angle. It was unintentional and he won the ball, but that follow through was dangerous and could've easily given Jesus a nasty injury. Think a red's inevitable given the rules and the desire to protect City’s home record.
Fixed for you.

Nick7

Red tinted specs maybe. If Thiago did the same thing later we’d definitely be less lenient but at the same time you feel for any player sent off for winning the ball.
If a player did that against us and wasn’t sent off this place would erupt. It’s a clear as day reckless tackle.

SER19

Just bring on de Bruyne, Mahrez and any other 50m pound sub. Simple game really

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mate if thats a red card then Sterling inadvertently stamping on Raphinia earlier in the game was one too. That was studs to the leg too. Not even a foul given or checked by VAR.
Should really have been a yellow for that, not sure how the ref missed it and why it wasn't even looked at.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Mind boggling how someone can think this.
Under current rules, probably.

But from a defenders view, tackling, he boots a bouncing ball (hence why foot not on the floor) and Jesus running into challenge also and Cooper's follow through hits the oncoming Jesus.

If Jesus is standing still and a player kicks him in the knee, it's obviously a red. In this tackle, the timing of Cooper's swinging leg combined with the moment Jesus arrives, creates the contact on the knee (i.e. as a result of an action as opposed to deliberate). A second earlier, Jesus isn't there. A second later, Cooper's leg has come down again.

Get why it's a red though.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I find it hard to blame refs in that situation. Similar to the Grenada match, when players have gotten so good at acting, it's a real challenge. From Jesus' reaction you can imagine he's properly hurt.

Lo and behold, he's fine.

I know they practice this stuff. It works. It makes me sad that Bruno aside, we're the worst at those dark arts.

Pogba in particular - almost every time he loses it under pressure, they show a replay and for any other player it's a foul. But for some reason (hrm, could it be his physique and 'attributes') it's not a foul when two players pull his shirt, but touch certain players and it's a foul everytime.