Premier League Gameweek 33+34

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
United remind me of us in 12/13 and we signed Coutinho/Sturridge. The emergence of Greenwood who very much reminds me of Sturridge and the signing of Fernandes has really taken the team up a level. I expect they’ll carry on this form next season barring injuries.

Maguire is really quite poor though, I haven’t ever seen it with him and it’s laughable he keeps being mentioned as a top defender. Very Lovren-esque capable of great moments and similarly shambolic ones.
Yeah agree with the 12/13 comparison although I think United have more quality in their squad now than we did back then.

I wouldn’t go as far as Lovren but I do think Maguire can be found wanting at times. I understood why United spent the money on him and it sounds like he’s a leader off the pitch, but he doesn’t look like an £80 million CB on it for me.

Greenwood is class. Looks like an excellent young player. England has some great young talent coming through.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Wow what a goal Greenwood. Weaker foot as well.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Do one Bournemouth, 2 goals back in a game, one put them in a lead and they get still get smashed. Going to take a miracle to survive looking at their fixtures.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Bruno is going to be their new Cantona isn't he and they'll win the league in the next few seasons. Fabulous player.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Bruno is going to be their new Cantona isn't he and they'll win the league in the next few seasons. Fabulous player.
With this defence and goalkeeper? No chance.

Although I suppose they'll probably just spunk another 130m on their defence to try and improve it

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah Bruno is fecking impressive. Putting up the same numbers he was doing in Portugal afaik? Insane

Also Grenwood is phenomenal

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Although I suppose they'll probably just spunk another 130m on their defence to try and improve it
I think if Henderson stays then he'll be first choice in the 21/22 season. They'll probably upgrade on Lindelof at some point too.

Deery

Dreary
Wilfred Zaha has barely moved from that spot all day, needs to do more if Palace are to score..

cyberman

You dont need a great defence to win the league. You just sweep away non top 6 sides. We are 17 unbeaten after this with 2nd best defence in league.
Bournemouth had a go at us and conceded 5. Villa wont do this next week and our weakness wont be exploited.
Its the City conundrum

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Their defence is really good actually. If De Gea bounces back that defence is close to liverpool's and city's

This is one game against an utter shite team they're taking the piss off and they're probably lacking in focus as a result

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I think they’re still a season away from winning it. I think it’ll be us or City next season, then if United and Chelsea continue to progress under Solskjær and Lampard, one of them will do it in 21/22.

Still think United are lacking a bit defensively, and they need to sort out the GK situation. De Gea hasn’t looked right for a while.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
You dont need a great defence to win the league. You just sweep away non top 6 sides. We are 17 unbeaten after this with 2nd best defence in league.
Bournemouth had a go at us and conceded 5. Villa wont do this next week and our weakness wont be exploited.
Its the City conundrum
Yes you do. Great attacks win games, great defences win titles. It’s very hard to win a league with a weaker defence.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think they’re still a season away from winning it. I think it’ll be us or City next season, then if United and Chelsea continue to progress under Solskjær and Lampard, one of them will do it in 21/22.

Still think United are lacking a bit defensively, and they need to sort out the GK situation. De Gea hasn’t looked right for a while.
It's a bad day at the office for our defense. They have been rock solid since the turn of the year.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
It's early days yet, but the effect Bruno's had on the team is similar to Cantona back in the day.
He’s a player I really wanted last summer and most of the previous year. His tenacity and work ethic are exactly what United need, he will bleed for the club and that’s the type of player a club like United needed. Someone to really set that example and take the mantle of being the driving force. It helps Pogba a great deal too, takes the spotlight away and let’s him display his talents and play a role without being asked to do everything and then made the scapegoat.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yes you do. Great attacks win games, great defences win titles. It’s very hard to win a league with a weaker defence.
We got 100 points with Otamendi and Stones as 1st choice for half a season! I'd argue its the complete opposite, you can Tony Pulis your way to getting a results vs City but you can't Pulis your way to the title.

If I had to guess, I would say the team thats scored the most goals has won the title more oten than the team thats conceded the fewest.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
It's a bad day at the office for our defense. They have been rock solid since the turn of the year.
I’m not convinced by Maguire that he’s got world class in his locker.

What are your thoughts on De Gea?

cyberman

Liverpool arent the norm. City have won leagues with Stones and Fernandinho in defence with Delph at fullback. Luiz was the lynchpin of Chelseas win. Wes Morgan before that.
You control the ball further up or play counter attacking football and you can protect a weaker defence.
Our league is terrible to be honest.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
We got 100 points with Otamendi and Stones as 1st choice for half a season!

If I had to guess, I would say the team thats scored the most goals has won the title more oten than the team thats conceded the fewest.
That‘s because you dominate most games though, far more than other teams are capable of. You lost Laporte this season and look at the difference it made. You’ve outscored us as well.

We scored over 100 goals in 13/14 and conceded 50. City conceded far fewer than than and won the league. Go through the league winners over the PL era and you’ll rarely find one with a bad defensive record.

I might be wrong but in City’s final 19 games of last season didn‘t you only concede something like five goals?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

I feel a lot will depend on the level of us and City. City just put up two seasons in the high nineties/100s followed by a drop off. We’re about to do the same. It’ll be hard for us to go a third season especially with no investment and each player a little older. Think we needed something extra in a couple of positions to allow us to fire on all fronts longer and prolong the peak of our key players. Squeezing them for every last drop will only serve to accelerate any potential decline.

This united team on this basis is probably capable of getting 80ish points which is a pretty significant improvement for them considering how many they’ll finish with this season. If we drop off like City have then I think it’s going to be a tight race. If we maintain our levels then they won’t get near. Getting these astronomical points totals takes a lot more than having a top side.

Deery

Dreary
I’m not convinced by Maguire that he’s got world class in his locker.

What are your thoughts on De Gea?
Champions League will be the big test for that defence we don’t know anything about them until then..

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool arent the norm. City have won leagues with Stones and Fernandinho in defence with Delph at fullback. Luiz was the lynchpin of Chelseas win. Wes Morgan before that.
You control the ball further up or play counter attacking football and you can protect a weaker defence.
Our league is terrible to be honest.
If you go through the PL winners over the last three decades, how many had poor defensive records? Yes some of the personnel were lacking, but the records were still good.

NinjaFletch

I know that this game is not the best proof of it, but our defensive record during this run of good form has been very very good.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Also really enjoying Fernandes, he reminds me of KDB, runs himself into the ground to get the ball. Gives everything he has but most importantly always looking for that killer pass or shot. Never afraid of messing up or looking to pass sideways. Phenomenal footballer. If one of their forwards becomes a consistent 25 league goal striker and the other two chipping in with 15-20 United will be a super team.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Champions League will be the big test for that defence we don’t know anything about them until then..
Yeah true. Fully expect United to get top four now though. Easily the best of the contenders.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If you go through the PL winners over the last three decades, how many had poor defensive record? Yes some of the personnel were lacking, but the records were still good.
The records were very good because they dominated games though as opposed to great defence ala Liverpool currently and Joses Chelsea.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Watch this From about 3 minutes in. DT completely rattled by United.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
The records were very good because they dominated games though as opposed to great defence ala Liverpool currently and Joses Chelsea.
Do you think United can dominate games consistently enough next season to compete for the league?