Premier League Gameweek 34

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
“Reckless” tackles are yellows, not reds, according to the rules.
Not when it’s also a denial of a goal scoring opportunity. He tried to tackle Vardy, lunged in reckless/clumsily and missed the tackle and brought Vardy down. Clear red no issues with it.

cyberman

He denied the goal scoring opportunity by making the tackle, it moved the ball out of vardys path? Thats how I seen it anyway.
Dont you have to dispossess a player to make a tackle? Otherwise its a failed tackle

Berbaclass

Keepers touch the ball all the time and then wipe out the striker, unanimously accepted as not a foul.
In this particular scenario he didn’t take the opportunity away from Vardy with his attempted tackle. He missed it and clumsily took him down. Clear red.

Gordon S

Completely understand the Southampton players antics right now, they are fearing another humiliation.

Berbaclass

Probably smart for Rodgers to take a CB off for Perez having N’Didi that can drop in if needed.

mu4c_20le

In this particular scenario he didn’t take the opportunity away from Vardy with his attempted tackle. He missed it and clumsily took him down. Clear red.
He gets the ball, Vardy gets nothing. I don't see the clear red

Ralaks

Vardy still has a goal scoring opportunity without Vestegaards tackle. It’s simple mate.
That is really not how it works man. He gets the ball, then it is a new situation. He caught him with the studs, which is the only reason he got a card, fantastic tackle otherwise

Berbaclass

That is really not how it works man. He gets the ball, then it is a new situation. He caught him with the studs, which is the only reason he got a card, fantastic tackle otherwise
Do you think Vardy gets to the ball if he’s not taken down? Yes he obviously would. Therefore it’s a denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

Ralaks

Do you think Vardy gets to the ball if he’s not taken down? Yes he obviously would. Therefore it’s a denial of a goal scoring opportunity.
But he still got the ball. Then it is a new situation. It cant be a denial of goal scoring opportunity if he gets the ball. It was part of the initial tackle where he got the ball first. Not saying it wasnt reckless, but denial of goal scoring opportunity should never be in consideration when he gets the ball

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
“Reckless” tackles are yellows, not reds, according to the rules.
Reckless takes it into red.
You might mean too much force, which can either be a yellow or red depending.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Completely understand the Southampton players antics right now, they are fearing another humiliation.
Tonight shows that our 9-0 against them wasn't any kind of given, as teams often go into shutout mode down to 10.
We were supreme that day as well.

mu4c_20le

Both Redknapp and Bent says its not even a foul, let alone a red card. The only way its a denial of goalscoring opportunity is if he misses the ball and takes out the player.

Berbaclass

But he still got the ball. Then it is a new situation. It cant be a denial of goal scoring opportunity if he gets the ball. It was part of the initial tackle where he got the ball first. Not saying it wasnt reckless, but denial of goal scoring opportunity should never be in consideration when he gets the ball
I don’t think it matters whether he touches the ball or not. The important thing is that he either gains control of it or takes it away from Vardy with the tackle. He does neither and I think it’s a fair red.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He got the ball first didn't he? He didn't "miss it".
It's that he followed through studs into Vardy's leg that was the issue.

If he hadn't studded him, it wouldn't have been a red, as making a "legit" attempt for a challenge when last man isn't a red these days.

Berbaclass

He got the ball first didn't he? He didn't "miss it".
It's that he followed through studs into Vardy's leg that was the issue.

If he hadn't studded him, it wouldn't have been a red, as making a "legit" attempt for a challenge when last man isn't a red these days.
He missed the tackle not the ball. Like I’ve said numerous times he failed to take possession away from Vardy with his attempted tackle so the challenge on Vardy is still a denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Due to the fact that there's debate about the red card shows that it probably wasn't a stone wall red.
In which case it shouldn't be given.
He gets the ball and follows through, it could be a foul, but certainly not a red.

Gordon S

He missed the tackle not the ball. Like I’ve said numerous times he failed to take possession away from Vardy with his attempted tackle so the challenge on Vardy is still a denial of a goal scoring opportunity.
Vardy had possession? I need to see it again

Ralaks

I don’t think it matters whether he touches the ball or not. The important thing is that he either gains control of it or takes it away from Vardy with the tackle. He does neither and I think it’s a fair red.
I am pretty sure if you go by that logic you would find a large amount of perfectly fine tackles never gets hold of the ball. There is no rule about the tackler needs to get the ball and run with it himself. As long as the ball is hit before the man, its legitimate. (Barring reckless force of course)

Moonwalker

You need to catch yourself on. That’s not how it’s refereed anymore. It’s only a red for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity if there was no attempt to play the ball. So a shirt pull is a red but a mistimed tackle is not.

This is why they virtually stopped sending off goalies.

Here, not only was there an attempt to play the ball, but he actually did get it. That’s simply not a red card.

Berbaclass

I am pretty sure if you go by that logic you would find a large amount of perfectly fine tackles never gets hold of the ball. There is no rule about the tackler needs to get the ball and run with it himself. As long as the ball is hit before the man, its legitimatate. (Barring reckless force of course)
All he did was knock it slightly forward for Vardy to run onto and get a shot away. Vardy got taken out by the follow through so I think it’s a red.

Berbaclass

You need to catch yourself on. That’s not how it’s refereed anymore. It’s only a red for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity if there was no attempt to play the ball. So a shirt pull is a red but a mistimed tackle is not.

This is why they virtually stopped sending off goalies.

Here, not only was there an attempt to play the ball, but he actually did get it. That’s simply not a red card.
So if I’m clearly wrong and the ref clearly got it wrong then why no VAR intervention if that’s clearly the rule?

Fingeredmouse

Due to the fact that there's debate about the red card shows that it probably wasn't a stone wall red.
In which case it shouldn't be given.
He gets the ball and follows through, it could be a foul, but certainly not a red.
The West Ham one was a nonsense but this I can see the logic of.
Defender fecks up and over extends to try to recover. He gets the ball but only just and plays it into Vardy's path who is one on one. His follow through then takes Vardy out.
If he'd won the ball and knocked it 15 yards into touch I don't think he'd get the red.