Premier League Gameweek 34

Moonwalker

As far as I'm aware, he's correct.

If it happens in the area then you restore the goalscoring opportunity by awarding a penalty and give a yellow (if it's a genuine attempt to play the ball) or red (if it's not).

Whereas if it happens outside the area it's a red.

Might be wrong though.
No it is correct, it’s because of double jeopardy. It has some sort of logic to it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
That would be absurd if true. What are you basing this on?
I'm basing it on the actual football laws and watching 20+ games every week since this change was introduced 4-5 years ago...

"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off."

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But as I see it, he tackles sucesfully - as he gets the ball - so its not denying any chance by unlawful means

So you cant send him off for that. Recklessness maybe, but not denying a chance
Touching the ball doesn't automatically stop it from being a foul though.

In this case I think the interpretation would be that while he touched the ball he didn't actually successfully dispossess Vardy, then after touching the ball he made contact with him twice (once on the foot but then again on the back of the leg) which denied Vardy the goalscoring opportunity that was at that point still on for him.

I might be wrong and they may also be wrong for interpreting it that way, but I think that's the logic.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not a chance Southampton hang on here.

Btw why are people wanting Leicester to win?

Ralaks

Touching the ball doesn't automatically stop it from being a foul though.

In this case I think the interpretation would be that while he touched the ball he didn't actually successfully dispossess Vardy, then after touching the ball he made contact with him twice (once on the foot but then again on the back of the leg) which denied Vardy the goalscoring opportunity that was at that point still on for him.

I might be wrong and they may also be wrong for interpreting it that way, but I think that's the logic.
Of course it doesn't, never said so. I can understand/agree with the reckless force argument - but never the other.

I get your reasoning, but surely given its the same tackle, it would be the same situation, but anyways, we will see what happens if its reviewed.

Moonwalker

You must be talking about yourself here :lol:
It was a red because there was no double jeopardy mitigation. That was the important thing to understand here.

You haven't mentioned that once, harping on about the most redundant fact of the whole matter - that it was denying of a goal scoring opportunity, which not a single person you've spoken to ever denied.

Oranges038

Never a red. It's not even a foul. What is the point on even attempting to win the ball if you can still be punished like that. There's no excessive force or high studs or any of that. Totally stupid decision.

Game is well and truly gone.

Adam-Utd

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Not a chance Southampton hang on here.

Btw why are people wanting Leicester to win?
If they don’t win their easy games, then how are they going to win the more difficult ones to get top 4? That would mean Liverpool and Chelsea would get it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
would rather west ham personally
That wouldn't be the worst thing, but no chance I'm relying on that lot or Everton to do anything useful. Would be happy enough with Leicester and Chelsea taking the two spots as long as the scouse feck off.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It was a red because there was no double jeopardy mitigation. That was the important thing to understand here.

You haven't mentioned that once, harping on about the most redundant fact of the whole matter - that it was denying of a goal scoring opportunity, which not a single person you've spoken to ever denied.
A lot of people disagreed with my interpretation of the events which is obviously why I have been 'harping on' replying to them. It's okay though mate, I can see this has confused you.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Vardy looks a little bit done at the top, doesn’t he? 1 goal in his last 12 matches. If it wasn’t for Ihenacho’s insane run, Leicester would be in big trouble right now.

Adam-Utd

If they don’t win their easy games, then how are they going to win the more difficult ones to get top 4? That would mean Liverpool and Chelsea would get it.
I haven't really checked their fixtures, I see they've still got a few tough games left.

I guess I just saw them being closer to 2nd place and didn't want them to over take us.

We can always damage Liverpools hopes this Sunday hopefully.

Judas

Open to offers
Ah I see, maybe me being pessimistic but I'm more worried about our chances of staying in the top 4, so I like to see all our "rivals" lose.
You can't seriously still be worried about us finishing top 4? :lol: that's amazingly pessimistic! I thought you were just worried about us finishing 2nd.

Top 4 is done, we're finishing top 4, can't believe anyone is still stressed over that!

432JuanMata

I don’t care if Leicester drop out of top 4 as long as Liverpool don’t get it. We need to beat them on Sunday so they lose points on Leicester, as I said I don’t care if West Ham or Leicester get it just not Liverpool

prateik

Oh.. just checked the table. They are will still be ahead even if Chelsea win. Not over for them yet.. still.. 2 easy points dropped.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I get why people want Leicester in the top four over us/Chelsea, but if they do you’ll how limited Rodgers is as a manager when it comes to European football. He has a wretched record in Europe.

Judas

Open to offers
I sadly saw Leicester throwing away points in a game like tonight, people were looking at this run of easy games as a sure thing, but I just don't trust them at this stage in the season.

432JuanMata

Vardy looks a little bit done at the top, doesn’t he? 1 goal in his last 12 matches. If it wasn’t for Ihenacho’s insane run, Leicester would be in big trouble right now.
Was thinking it the other day, he turned up late in the PL and has been immense but just because he started late at this level doesn’t mean age doesn’t catch up. This is why I was always against signing him a few seasons ago while over the last few seasons he made my opinion seem stupid he was eventually going to hit the age when his yard of pace etc goes. Seems to be happening now

vodrake

Very bad result there for Leicester considering the games they have coming up and having the man advantage for 70 minutes

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
So Leciester who are going to hammering us in a few weeks and cruise to 2nd can't even beat Southampton who had 10 men for 80mins.

Seriously they will be lucky to get top 4.

Irwin99

Leicester need two wins I think but apart from Newcastle the other teams are pretty tough: us, Chelsea and Spurs. Hope they do it but they really needed to win that.

Gordon S

Im happy Leicester dropped points tonight, would love for us to finish second and they are a little bit to close for comfort.

432JuanMata

I get why people want Leicester in the top four over us/Chelsea, but if they do you’ll how limited Rodgers is as a manager when it comes to European football. He has a wretched record in Europe.
I presume because Leicester don’t spend the money the top 6 do and it’s a good story of how money isn’t everything. Yes Liverpool would be better in Europe next year but Leicester getting top 4 on a smaller budget is the beauty that is in football

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Is that even a negative compared to seeing Liverpool or Chelsea miss out :lol: