Premier League Gameweek 34

Moonwalker

A lot of people disagreed with my interpretation of the events which is obviously why I have been 'harping on' replying to them. It's okay though mate, I can see this has confused you.
Your interpretation left a lot to be desired, not least because it failed to mention the only bit that was important.

432JuanMata

Im happy Leicester dropped points tonight, would love for us to finish second and they are a little bit to close for comfort.
I’ll be happy if we beat Liverpool on Sunday but other than that it’s not the best, Leicester with their fixtures and never finishing ahead of us but if we don’t win on Sunday I think Liverpool will pip them

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
That’s a dreadful result for them, especially considering the early red card.

I still think they’ll get top 4 and I think we can practically sew it up for them by beating Liverpool on sunday

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You can't seriously still be worried about us finishing top 4? :lol: that's amazingly pessimistic! I thought you were just worried about us finishing 2nd.

Top 4 is done, we're finishing top 4, can't believe anyone is still stressed over that!
I mean..we were qualifying to the CL knockouts as well but then managed to bottle it in the most spectacular fashion. This team has given me no reasons to have complete faith in them. My pessimism is unjustified but I can't help it.

The United

I don't mind Liverpool and Chelsea getting top 4. They will be busy with CL games just like us for the league campaign.

As for us, would like to close the gap as much as possible with City this season.

Judas

Open to offers
Leicester need two wins I think but apart from Newcastle the other teams are pretty tough: us, Chelsea and Spurs. Hope they do it but they really needed to win that.
Newcastle will get something against them. They can't be written off, unless because they're safe they'll take it easy, but yeah I wouldn't be at all shocked to see them at least get a point.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't mind Liverpool and Chelsea getting top 4. They will be busy with CL games just like us for the league campaign.

As for us, would like to close the gap as much as possible with City this season.
Liverpool will be busy with EL if they get 5th.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
my problem with the red is that I don't know if getting the ball before the man means that it's a legal tackle or a foul. We've seen several situations with getting the ball first and contacting the man after. The inconsistencies with the refereeing is the problem for me, we've seen those get reds, and those not even getting called a foul.

Reactions: Cheimoon

mu4c_20le

Liverpool missing out on CL would be bigly. I could see them losing some stars, and at least one of Salah or Mane.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I get why people want Leicester in the top four over us/Chelsea, but if they do you’ll how limited Rodgers is as a manager when it comes to European football. He has a wretched record in Europe.
We have already seen Rodgers in the Europa.
If they had the ability to win a knock out tie in Europe, then our FA Cup game against them would have been more even. Still annoyed they got 1 week rest because of this.

always_hoping

United according to many only hammered Southampton because they were down to 10 men from early in the game. Tonight Leicester faced a simliar situation yet found themselves 1-0 down to a ten man Southampton and managed to earn a draw. As the commentor said trying to win against 10 men is rarely easy..

Judas

Open to offers

Liverpool missing out on top 4 could have massive implications, everyone should want them to miss out, quite simply because its Liverpool anyway.

acnumber9

Liverpool missing out on CL would be bigly. I could see them losing some stars, and at least one of Salah or Mane.
I don’t envisage a queue forming for Mane right now. He’s been horrid all season.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Your interpretation left a lot to be desired, not least because it failed to mention the only bit that was important.
You keep mentioning my interpretation in a derogatory manner but the very fact I was advocating for the red card from minute one shows I have an understanding of the rules.

I incorrectly assumed people like you would also possess this knowledge, thus I didn't explicitly state that it was due to the 'double jeopardy' rule as I assumed everyone knew this was a thing as it has been around for 5-6 years now and is not exactly a new thing.

The first time someone mentioned that rule I pointed out that "It's only for penalties" so either you can't read or you're being very selective with the posts of mine you choose to acknowledge.

I'm sorry for giving you the benefit of the doubt in assuming you knew anything regarding these specific rules. I sincerely apologise for that :)

The United

Liverpool missing out on top 4 could have massive implications, everyone should want them to miss out, quite simply because its Liverpool anyway.
I don't know about massive implications. They don't have enough money either way.

And, they could just give up the EL early to focus on the league and they would be back the next year after.

Bertie Wooster

Not a chance Southampton hang on here.

Btw why are people wanting Leicester to win?
I didn't want Leicester to win, and I'm delighted they dropped points.

I'm sure Ole will want to get 2nd place and the sooner that's guaranteed, the more chance (hopefully) that he'll manage the game time of the likes of Rashford, Fernandes, Shaw, etc, for the EL - and maybe get to give some game time to VDB, Amad, Mejbri.

Ideally, Liverpool will miss out on the CL, but I'm much more bothered about us winning the EL and finishing 2nd than on which of the teams get the other two spots (there's pros and cons for teams like Liverpool and Chelsea being out the CL next year - they'll miss out on money, and maybe a transfer target; but maybe prioritise winning the PL instead and making it even harder for us).

FatTails

What a missed opportunity that was for Leicester. They need to be winning that game. Definitely the one to look back on as the pivotal moment, if they end up missing up on top four (I hope they don’t!)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not a chance Southampton hang on here.

Btw why are people wanting Leicester to win?
Means less chance of Leicester dropping out of top 4 ? Means only one of Chelsea or Liverpool make the CL ? Is it so hard to understand?

Gordon S

I’ll be happy if we beat Liverpool on Sunday but other than that it’s not the best, Leicester with their fixtures and never finishing ahead of us but if we don’t win on Sunday I think Liverpool will pip them
Leicester have shown pretty good form lately, i think they will get top 4 this season.

croadyman

Means less chance of Leicester dropping out of top 4 ? Means only one of Chelsea or Liverpool make the CL ? Is it so hard to understand?
I can understand that point of view and would have agreed IF we had beaten Leeds on Sunday

Gator Nate

Can Ole afford to play a stronger team on Sunday than he would've if we hadn't beaten Roma 6-2?
I think he would have, regardless of the win against Roma. But now, it's no holds barred on Sunday. And with Liverpool having to basically win out, they have to go for it, so we won't have to fight 10 in the box all day.

Moonwalker

You keep mentioning my interpretation in a derogatory manner but the very fact I was advocating for the red card from minute one shows I have an understanding of the rules.

I incorrectly assumed people like you would also possess this knowledge, thus I didn't explicitly state that it was due to the 'double jeopardy' rule as I assumed everyone knew this was a thing as it has been around for 5-6 years now and is not exactly a new thing.

The first time someone mentioned that rule I pointed out that "It's only for penalties" so either you can't read or you're being very selective with the posts of mine you choose to acknowledge.

I'm sorry for giving you the benefit of the doubt in assuming you knew anything regarding these specific rules. I sincerely apologise for that :)
No It's neither. I can read, at least on the best of days, but I haven't read that 'only for penalties' comment. I was typing on the phone in my defense (not that I deserve one).

Since I was wrong, I'll also apologise, unsarcastically.

432JuanMata

I think he would have, regardless of the win against Roma. But now, it's no holds barred on Sunday. And with Liverpool having to basically win out, they have to go for it, so we won't have to fight 10 in the box all day.
Does that matter to Ole though, we won 4-0 against Sociedad and he still played Bruno and all in next leg. I seen Liverpool are bookies favourites don’t get that? I know they have to win more than us but he are always good at home against them and there poor at the moment

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I presume because Leicester don’t spend the money the top 6 do and it’s a good story of how money isn’t everything. Yes Liverpool would be better in Europe next year but Leicester getting top 4 on a smaller budget is the beauty that is in football
Yeah I agree with that sentiment. It sticks a middle finger up to the Super League as well which is great.
Is that even a negative compared to seeing Liverpool or Chelsea miss out :lol:
Think of the coefficient!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We have already seen Rodgers in the Europa.
If they had the ability to win a knock out tie in Europe, then our FA Cup game against them would have been more even. Still annoyed they got 1 week rest because of this.
He managed us in the Champions League in 14/15 and we went out in the group stage. Two of the teams we had in our group were Ludogorets and Basel. His knockout stage record is nothing but defeats I think as well.

Cpt Negative

I think you're missing the fact that these days a legit attempt for a tackle is NOT a red anymore when last man. It changed.

You don't have to "take possession away", you just have to make an attempt at a tackle, as opposed to say just kicking someone, or tugging them, which are not legit attempts.

The red only serves if it's for the reckless nature of the studs on leg follow through.
It’s still a red if it’s outside the box. The rule changed only applied if a penalty is given

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yup. Missing out on CL footy has major reprecussions on any club which is why it would be wonderful for it to happen to Liverpool. We have a chance to impact Livepool's fate in this regard so let's not screw this up

UncleBob

Touching the ball doesn't automatically stop it from being a foul though.

In this case I think the interpretation would be that while he touched the ball he didn't actually successfully dispossess Vardy, then after touching the ball he made contact with him twice (once on the foot but then again on the back of the leg) which denied Vardy the goalscoring opportunity that was at that point still on for him.

I might be wrong and they may also be wrong for interpreting it that way, but I think that's the logic.
It's a weird one. It's not like any of the players are in control of the ball, Vardy is just trying to get there ahead of Vestergaard. As soon as the latter gets a touch on the ball then I reckon the goalscoring opportunity is very difficult to predict. Vestergaard doesn't get much on it, but enough for the ball to roll in a different direction so Vardy will have to change direction and hopefully get there before the goalkeeper. The follow through, where he ends up stamping Vardy, isn't very nice.

For me, it would make more sense to say that his touch on the ball removes the goalscoring opportunity but is the follow through nasty enough to be a red card itself. No idea if they can actually split it up like this.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You would have thought, with City's obvious quality foundation, now would be the perfect time for them to bleed more youngsters through from their Super-Duper-Elite-World-Class-Development-Academy.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Is that even a negative compared to seeing Liverpool or Chelsea miss out :lol:
:lol:

Was thinking the same thing. I don't think United fans want Leicester in the Champions League so they can cheer them on to victory.

Crustanoid

Come on Palace do a favour for the good of the game.

Or bend over, as you already played your cup final vs us