Premier League Gameweek 37

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I can understand when a yellow card offence is held up for advantage, but when an issue that would definitely be a sending off happens, surely you have to pull it back.
This. There was no advantage there for Newcastle. A man up with a penalty and the game completely changes.

0le

Whatever happens this season, Liverpool have had more than their share of luck. This won't continue and they'll struggle to replicate the form into next season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
So if VAR is in play here and Atsu scores, does the goal get disallowed and play brought back?

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

AFC NimbleThumb

Then he should find a new career.
exactly.

the whole, things even themselves out, play on just doesn’t seem enough in these instances.

2 games till the end of the league & the assist machine fullback handballs on the line; doesn’t get sent off & assists.

officiating is so inconsistent & bad, will VAR alert that the goal should stand as a play on but TAA should be carded i wonder

Ludens the Red

Yeah, but there's a difference between crosses of now and yesteryear.

Pumping crosses into the box(which the 2nd goal somewhat was tbf) versus drilled attacks ending in a cross or cutback from the full-back.
Haha what? It’s the same as it was. Different crosses for different situations. The same way Beckham and Giggs, hell even Neville and Evra spent years putting in different kinds of crosses. The same way TAA and Robertson do it at Liverpool. Does help when you have people like Mane, Salah in the box on the move, or going back Yorke, Cole and Van nistelrooy as opposed to Lukaku and Martial and Lukaku standing still. But yeah ‘outdated something something, modern day football the best something something ‘..

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Absolutely gutted that the pub I’ve chosen has a disco going on at the same time.

Trying to watch the football while some wanker wailing out ELO stands next to me

Eddy_JukeZ

Haha what? It’s the same as it was. Different crosses for different situations. The same way Beckham and Giggs, hell even Neville and Evra spent years putting in different kinds of crosses. The same way TAA and Robertson do it at Liverpool. Does help when you have people like Mane, Salah in the box on the move, or going back Yorke, Cole and Van nistelrooy as opposed to Lukaku and Martial and Lukaku standing still. But yeah ‘outdated something something, modern day football the best something something ‘..
My point is people aren't against crossing.

They're against the rather aimless crossing we've resorted to at times over the years.

I'd always prefer a cutback at the byline versus a cross.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Why would it be a red if the ref allowed the goal to stand? You can’t have it both ways. :lol:
It means nothing if the goal is allowed to stand. The result of the play doesn’t absolve an earlier infraction. If the ref plays advantage, that is his recognition of the infraction having taken place, you can’t have advantage without an infraction.
I have seen numerous retroactive cautions where the ref shows ref after the play. I have only seen a handful of retro sending offs, but they do exist.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Absolutely gutted that the pub I’ve chosen has a disco going on at the same time.

Trying to watch the football while some wanker wailing out ELO stands next to me
Mr BLUEEEE SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

Eddy_JukeZ

They just said on sky that by the letter of the law, it should only be a yellow because Newcastle went on to score.

Looking at it now, I wish Atsu missed and TAA received a red and Newcastle won a pen.
Is there a link to this law?

I searched for like 10 minutes and I couldn't find it.

Closest thing I was found was this: "Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player when the ball is next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick, unless the player committed a more serious offence." But it doesn't quite deal with the situation of what happens when a goal is scored.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Newcastle have similar composure to us.

Just watch them, hoofing balls from open space etc.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
From FIFA:

"If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution / send off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution / send off must be issued when the ball is next out of play, except for the denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity when the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player when the ball is next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick, unless the player committed a more serious offence."
I'm still no clearer on this ruling after reading all that.

Then again, I have been drinking most of the day :houllier:

Hoof the ball

There's a slight difference in the general positions of the crosses TAA and Robertson make compared to past players. In the past, wide players used to rarely cross before reaching the 18 yard box. Most crosses would be some yards past the 18 yard line wide to the side of it. TAA and Robertson's crosses, typically are some yards prior to reaching the 18 yard line and more infield, creating a cross that goes in diagonally, whereas, older wingers used to cross horizontally across the box.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Weirdest thing is that in a multibillion (insert currency of choice) sport, some of the rules are unclear even to people who commentate on it for a living.

After 30 minutes of searching Im still not sure what the correct call would've been.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
"If the referee applies advantage..." is a big if, in this case. Especially as he didn't give him a booking.

I reckon he didn't see it at all, which is the worst of the possibilities. Get him a carriage clock in the summer and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.
Yeah that was my thought. People were saying if Atsu missed then the ref could have given a penalty and a red. Nah, if Atsu missed we would have played on because Liverpool have had insane luck with refs this year

Loublaze

ATLien

Last train to LONDON!!!!!!!!!!! That was the Discovery Disco-very album

Eddy_JukeZ

Have you ever watched football before?
When do you ever see someone sent off for a handball, AND the goal given?
First off, no need to be condescending.

Everything I read earlier pointed to TAA being sent off, until I saw the tweet linked from @Mogget

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Don’t know what to do with Henderson, him running around like a madman helps us neither in defence or attack at the minute. We look very open

Loublaze

ATLien
So Liverpool have gone from having a clown of a defense to having the best CB in the league and two of the best young fullbacks in the country, British too!