Press conference and other interviews thread

IRN-BRUno

Wolves press conference:

The latest on Hojlund
"So as we said previously, he had a small issue and he's not on the levels where our players are in this moment so we have to train him. Prognosis [is] difficult always to say. We are confident and we are positive."
Ten Hag on first game of season
"First, you never can compare seasons with each other but I think we are much further than last season, but you can never compare games. Different opponents, we had a very good pre-season, our fitness levels are very good, we are on really good levels and I think also our performance levels during pre-season were on a high level."
Opening fixture again
"We are very confident but also I want to mention pre-season doesn't say anything, it's friendly football. Though I never take a game as a friendly, it's friendly in the sense of going. In the league, going for the points it's a different approach for both teams. We are ready to go for the fight, the team is really energetic and we worked really good for pre-season and we go for it."
Ten Hag on Wolves
"Some uncertainty, we don't know but it's up to them and we have to look at our own and prepare the game. That doesn't change it makes it also easy. We analyse them but it's always about how we play against an opponent, so it's up to us."
Ten Hag on injury news
"Some issues you mention from last season, like Malacia, he came to pre-season with an issue. We had 30 players on tour who were really fit and disappointment about Amad and disappointment about Kobbie absolutely, but that's what happens when you go to the limits. Injuries are not avoidable but we have a strong squad and from there on we can pick a really strong team. And you see the two games last weekend of two teams, two strong sides."
Will Maguire be available?
"Of course [Maguire]. You go specific: Malacia will take some time, same as Amad and Kobbie, they are impact injuries, all the others like Henderson, Hojlund, quite short notice but what is the definition of it, but it will take a few weeks."
Ten Hag on Glazers
"I think I'm confident, I'm sure the fans will support the team. Last season, the connection between fans and team, we made it stronger in pre-season, you've seen that on the tour but back in the UK there's a really strong support and a good vibe between the fans and the team."
Ten Hag on Kane
"First of all, we have chosen a striker and we are really happy with our choice. He's a great striker, clear, a goal maker and apart from that he has all the conditions and abilities what you want to see in a striker. It's a miss for the Premier League, absolutely."
Kane continued
"We want to challenge and play the best. I don't think that I have to go into that discussion [about why United didn't sign Kane] or give an opinion about that. We are professional, the processes we do are really careful, we consider a lot of things but finally we make decisions, not overnight, we study every decision behind, we are happy with the squad we have behind us now."

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Erik, how do you reflect on your first year at the club? Have you progressed better than you would of hoped?
“I think we couldn't expect this, where we are now. When we look back for one year, when we ended where we ended. Third place, losing the FA Cup final. It was more to get winning another trophy and we showed we can beat all the best teams in the world. I think from there on, we built a really good foundation. Now we have to work on that and do it consistently.”

And you believe you have that good foundation to build on now and to go higher?
“Exactly, we have the foundation that works well. With the right plan, the right efforts, and it works on a consistent basis, we can go higher and be more successful. I believe we can make that step.”

Erik, you said last season about having goalkeepers that are experienced in possession. With Tom's injury – and although Dean has been a possibility to go to Nottingham Forest – do you think you'll keep Dean now?
“He was always in my mind. I think we have a strong ’keeper group with Onana, Heaton and Henderson.”

You've made three signings this summer, three key signings. Would you be happy with three signings or do you want more with three weeks until the deadline?
“I will always want more! But I think every manager you could ask would also want more. But it is about the mentality; in top football we are talking about the demand, the absolute maximum. Because we demand that from our players and, in their defence, they expect it from us. We are looking for the perfect situation but you never get the perfect situation. Then you have to come into your place and work for that, maybe with not the perfect situation but the perfect results.”

You said in the summer that every Premier League team needs to invest. When you look around at what other clubs have been able to do, are you happy with the investment this summer at Man United? Have United been able to take a step closer to those teams you are now chasing?
“Yes, but what you see is the benchmark. There were only five players above £60 million. Now you see all over many clubs investing high rates and they invest a lot in their squads. Competition is very tough in the Premier League. We are confident, we are happy with the squad we have now and now it is about improving the squad, improving our way of play.”

You mentioned that Harry will be available for Monday. How do you see that one playing out now from here on in, on whether he stays or whether he doesn't? Is it difficult in terms of several players who could be staying and going, not knowing where they stand or you stand with them?
“We don't have a squad with 11 players. Last year definitely proved that you need all the players. You need high-level players who are maybe not starting but that can change. That makes an internal competition and everyone has to fight for his place and that counts for many players... that when they were good they will be getting games. But no one can play all the games and finally you find out what is the best team. All the positions are double and then every player has the perspective of fighting for his place. Then you have to show that with your contribution, that it is the best team performance, so it is up to the players if they have game time or less.”

What do you think now is the best scenario for Harry Maguire and the club, for him, for you? How do you see this turning out?
“For Harry, my explanation just came. He has to fight for his place and he has the abilities to be a top-class centre-back. He is the best for England and I assume he will be best for us but he has to prove it. When he is not confident enough to go in and fight, then he has to make a decision. But I am happy with him.”

How well-suited is Rasmus to the Premier League, with the specific attributes he has got, and do you have a specific date as to when he will be available?
“No, we are not in a rush. We know we are also without him, we have a strong team and the position is covered. We don't rush. It is about him being in the right level and then we have to integrate him in training and then we will bring him into the games. We take our time. It is not about winning in this moment, it is about winning in the long term.”

And his attributes, do you think he will suit the Premier League well? His physicality, his speed etc?
“That is why we chose him, that he has the potential, the physicality, the speed, his character, his hunger, his determination for goals. He is absolutely the right fit and also his age fits very well in the profile. We are very confident we found the right striker, but he needs time. Time to integrate and now he is now unavailable, it delays the process.”

You have wanted a no.9 when you came into the club, and now you are starting with a player you bought injured. Is that not unfortunate that you're in the same situation?
“I'm quite calm, composed in this situation, because Rashy is very good as a striker, we have seen it last Saturday. Anthony Martial is available as well. Jadon Sancho can play there as well, he did it in pre-season very well. The squad can deal with it, as I already said this. There is a strategy behind it.'”

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
To all those smart arsed twats convinced Martinez was substituted on Monday for picking up a yellow card and handing out insults to anyone suggesting that was a complete bollocks reason to substitute someone at half time.

You know who you are, apologies expected, you bunch of cnuts.

Varane told the BBC that an injury led to the 25-year-old being withdrawn. "A little problem on his ankle, tendon," the Frenchman explained. "We’ll see but I don’t think it’s a big deal. We’ll see how he is this week."

Glorio

To all those smart arsed twats convinced Martinez was substituted on Monday for picking up a yellow card and handing out insults to anyone suggesting that was a complete bollocks reason to substitute someone at half time.

You know who you are, apologies expected, you bunch of cnuts.
I'm with you on this, Varane said it quite early so there wasn't really an argument, however, why would anyone apologise? Opinions differ - and most times we argue based on conjecture on here as we're mostly not in the know what happens behind the scenes.

If anyone was throwing out insults, whether right or wrong, now that is a reason to apologise

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I'm with you on this, Varane said it quite early so there wasn't really an argument, however, why would anyone apologise? Opinions differ - and most times we argue based on conjecture on here as we're mostly not in the know what happens behind the scenes.

If anyone was throwing out insults, whether right or wrong, now that is a reason to apologise
Especially as Shaw also got a yellow and wasn't withdrawn. People tying themselves in knots trying to justify why Martinez was subbed and not Shaw. "Shaw has a better temperament". fecking idiots. You don't sub your 1st choice CB unless there's a good reason.

IRN-BRUno

Forest press conference:

Ten Hag on Greenwood
"Look, we are not where we want to be with our team, I have a lot of work and a lot of focus on my team, so I focus on the players who are available. I only have statements about our performance, our squad, where we have to improve because it's clear, we have to improve. I have to put every effort in to get the team to perform."
Ten Hag on 'injury crisis'
"That is the situation, it's normal, top football, you got to the limits, injuries coming up, always disappointing but you have to deal with it and construct a squad. And deal with it."
Hojlund available tomorrow?
"Not for tomorrow. (He's) near. Today, for the first time, he came into team training so next week we expect him to do a full week of team training so he is near to the squad."

Shaw out for longer period
"We can't do that [put a timescale], it's personal these days, they will be for some period absent where Luke will be longer than Mason I think."
Ten Hag on Malacia
"Will also take a few weeks before he will be back. Definitely, we have the solutions in our squad to cope with that. We thought before the season about this scenario, it could happen, you hope to avoid. But if it happens you have to be ready for it."
The fans' view on Greenwood
"Once again, what Manchester United fans expect is a winning Manchester United and I'm responsible for that and I have to put all my effort and all my focus and make us play better than we do now."
Happy with the midfield?
"You always have to analyse clinically and that assessment is not right, it was about the back and the front, not about the midfield. That is why we were open. I said that straight after the game."
Is Casemiro fit?
"If you see the numbers, you see he's fully fit. I have no doubts they can do it. After 35 mins against Spurs he didn't do it anymore and we were first across the rank of fitness."
Ten Hag on Bailly's future
"When we have news we will give it straight away but we don't so we can't say anything about it."

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
So many poor questions, like about Bailly and 3 about Greenwood, we know what his answers will be, why waste time?

Instead why not ask a question like was a backup striker, a ball playing goalkeeper and an attack minded midfielders the 3 biggest gaps in your squad last year? If he say's yes we can worry, if he say's no it's clear he wasn't delivered the profile of the first players he wanted, just something a little less routine.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ok so Shaw will be out for longer than 6 weeks.

Apokalips

These are a waste of time for the most part. I feel like they should let fans ask the questions, as it is us who actually care and want to know about certain things as opposed to press drumming up stories or asking about bloody Eric Bailly.

Glorio

Let's hope the embargoed section covers whether youngsters will be given a chance to step in with the injuries or whether the solution may lie in the transfer market - not necessarily expecting a straight answer, mind you. I think RR spoilt us with with blunt and frank answers :lol:

croadyman

Let's hope the embargoed section covers whether youngsters will be given a chance to step in with the injuries or whether the solution may lie in the transfer market - not necessarily expecting a straight answer, mind you. I think RR spoilt us with with blunt and frank answers :lol:
Yeah we need something on transfers in that

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Erik, there's been a bit of criticism over Bruno and his captaincy. Not that I agree with it, but I'm saying there has been some from high-profile pundits, particularly when he was complaining about the penalty appeal. Do you back him? Do you understand his appeal? And is it just his passion for the club that we see?
“Of course I back him and I think he has to also to make his point and it's justified and it was a clear penalty. So I think also then you have to express it, but also don't get distracted from it. You have to keep focusing on your job.”

How have you found it since he took the armband permanently, how have you found him as your captain?
“Yeah. Last season when he did it as a replacement. He did already brilliantly. And now as well. It's really an inspiration. He is an example for the team. The personality [he shows]. So, yeah, I think he's a very good captain.”

I understand you don’t want to talk about Mason Greenwood, but given that you can't play him now, do you feel that you're short in attack?
“No, because we have when I count, seven front players and we have also coming up young talents, as we have seen in the pre-season, who are getting close.”

One of those players, Antony has struggled recently. There has been allegations against him that he's responded to. Is that the concern for the club? Is that an issue to deal with?
“No. The outcome in Brazil was clear and he completed a good pre-season. He's also scoring some goals. He is more often in the situations where he is a threat for the opponent, but not only a threat. He's in the key moments there, where he should have been. Now we have to finish. In pre-season he scored two goals and, also, I think, one assist. So I think he is in a good direction. And now he has to speed up because for us, good is not good enough. So don't get distracted. Focus on football and on performing.”

Erik, the transfer window closes next Friday. Do you hope to get more reinforcements in before the window? And with Rasmus Hojlund not yet available and the prospects of Greenwood coming back are now over, would a striker be in your thoughts?
“No, because Rasmus will be available from next week on and then we are with Rasmus, with Anthony Martial. We have coverage and also, of course, we have Rashy [Marcus Rashford] as well there. So we have enough players to cover and quality players to cover that position.”

Erik you said earlier that when you were asked about being overrun, that it was the front and the back - they were the problems. What specifically was it that those areas of the team weren’t doing?
“They didn’t run. And when they did run, it was in the wrong moment and it was too late. Especially the front, they didn’t recover.”

How disappointing is that? Because that's part of your mantra. You've drill that into the players quite early on here, that they're not not really not pressing. Why are they not doing that?
“It happened. You can't turn it around. It's a demand here if you want to win games. And we were, for the first 35 minutes, we were so good in the game and we dominated the game totally. We should have scored a minimum once but I think two and they were nowhere. Nothing. And then things happened in the game and then they got distracted, not doing the jobs anymore. And that's not the demands from a Manchester United player, from our team and I'm not used to it from this team because they always do. And that is what the players and what the fans can expect. But we have to demand.”

You lost three pre-season games, I know one of them was against Wrexham, with a junior team. You struggled against Wolves and lost against Spurs, why is that happening? Considering you have been here a year, you have won a trophy, the players know what you want, the game plan. Why has it been so flat?
“So that's what I say when I came in. We are in those games over the full course, we didn't match the standards we had, but nevertheless we beat Wolves. We played the first 35 minutes, very good at Spurs. But you have to demand from Manchester United that you must do it for 90 minutes and you do it every game. No matter what.”

Did you become angry at your players for that?
“I told them, I give them the feedback. This is not acceptable and we have to work as a team. We have to do it in togetherness and everyone individually has to take responsibility. We need accountable players.”

But are they big enough to take that responsibility to accept criticism?
“Oh yeah. We are in the same boat. So I'm responsible for it. So me as well. We have to do that in togetherness and we have to face the first two games were not good enough. But still, we won one and from the other, we can take the positives. If we do the right things in the first 35 minutes, we have a very good team and we will win games if everyone is doing their doing their job.”

Gary O'Neil after the Wolves game said that he got an apology for the penalty at the end. Did you get one for the Spurs one after that?
“It happened. And I know in football, sometimes the decisions are on your side, sometimes it's against you. You have to accept it. Sometimes it's annoying. You of course hope for a consistent line. But as I say, we have to accept it. And still, if the decision is against you, you still have to win.”

Is it annoying that in one instance their manager got the apology, and you didn’t?
“Make your own opinion.”

Do you think there is a reason Luke and Mason picking up these muscle injuries early in the season? And does that affect what you're now doing in the last week of the transfer window?
“There’s always a reason but you can't avoid it in top football. Players go to the limits and you see it across all kinds of teams, their injuries are coming. But it's our job to do research. Its up to us to find reasons and maybe you can learn from it to the future.”

Will that affect what you do next week, with Luke being out?
“It can be, because we have to anticipate situations. So if there are opportunities, yes. But it has to be the right player. And otherwise we have to deal with the current squad. And, as I said before, I know we went through the scenarios before the season with our transfer strategy and if that happened, we have the solution.”

Rockets Redglare

And now he has to speed up because for us, good is not good enough. So don't get distracted. Focus on football and on performing.”
I really like this bit about Antony.

Glorio

When's this weekend's presser happening?

Is it delayed due to EtH boarding a plane on "Urgent Transfer Business"?

IRN-BRUno

Arsenal press conference:

Rasmus Hojlund fit to face Arsenal
"Yes. So he had a good training week, so tomorrow we have final training but he's doing well, he's responded well. So he will be available for Sunday's game."
Altay Bayindir update
"He will be in the squad as well, yeah, so happy, now we have to keep the group, again it's fully there, we've covered every position and we have a very good arrival in Altay."
Deadline day transfer stance
"(Incomings?) Potentially, yes. Could be because we have to register them by now."
Sergio Reguilon deal confirmed
"He is here, he trained."
Sofyan Amrabat latest
"You know that? There are so many rumours, but it's nice, heh?"
United's midfield options
"We have done good business, we constructed a strong squad and we are ready to go with the fight."
Harry Maguire and Scott McTominay to stay
"If you see the schedule, it's tough, it's really condensed, when you see last season, the World Cup, the season takes longer. Two weeks, we played FA Cup final one week, we had a short break, a condensed pre-season, you need the numbers and quality.
"We have the depth and the quality players in, they can play in a variety of situations and we are ready to go for the fight."
Altay Bayindir arrival
"We followed him, scouted him very intense, he has the skills to fit in, fit in Manchester United and English football, really clear, we signed him.
"We are confident he will make a lot of progress in the coming years and he will be a huge contribution to our game."
What Sergio Reguilon will bring
"He's very experienced player, played for big clubs, already played a lot of La Liga and Premier League games, he has a very good background, he can play very intense football, we are happy.
"We had a problem with Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia injured, we responded well in that emergency situation."
Ten Hag coy on Sofyan Amrabat deal
"I can't tell because I don't know. When we have news, we will tell you."
Rasmus Hojlund ready to start vs Arsenal
"I think he can, he's ready to start."

Glorio

Arsenal press conference:

Altay Bayindir arrival
"He will be in the squad as well, yeah, so happy, now we have to keep the group, again it's fully there, we've covered every position and we have a very good arrival in Italy."

Close enough for a muppetry correction right there :lol:

IRN-BRUno

Brighton press conference:

Ten Hag asked about Sancho but discusses Arsenal instead
"We close the game, we work on the feedback, the data team feedback, we played very well very Arsenal, we trained very well, we played very well, we deserved much more in Arsenal, it was not on our side, that was the outcome of our analysis and you can see our progress against a good Arsenal and minimum we have to get a draw there and we could have won. We come back and we trained very well. We are ready for it."
Ten Hag asked again about Sancho
"I think everything is said. So the squad is strong, in good spirits and good mood going into the game."
How will United cope without Sancho and Antony
"You have sometimes setbacks in seasons, players are injured or for other reasons are not available so you construct a squad and the squad is very good and the players who are available are motivated to give a good performance."
Two players ruled out vs Brighton
Erik ten Hag confirms Lisandro Martinez and Victor Lindelof are both fit, but Mason Mount and Raphael Varane are missing.

"No but both are in a good place for a return."
Harry Maguire abuse
"I have said many times, it is disrespectful, doesn’t deserve it, he is a great player, gives great performances. It is crazy but how it works. Harry has to block this."
How is Maguire dealing with it
"Good, you see his career, a lot to come, he has to block it by good performances."
How Ten Hag can help Maguire
"It is also with the generation, about team construction, the group dynamic and always about the team, that is above everything else but within that everyone plays his role, different characters and you have to manage those characters."
Ten Hag's job to control standards
"Strict lines is what the club asked me because there was no good culture before last season so to set good standards, that is what I did and it is my job to control the standards.
"It is never someone makes one mistake, it is a whole process before you come to a certain outcome about strict lines. There is a structure to cross lines so you have to be strong."
Brighton threat
"It is typical we have two great games in spring against them and we know we have to play tomorrow to our best because they will sacrifice and suffer because it gives you a lot of options so really looking forward."
How long will Antony be away
"No idea."
Ten Hag has spoken with Antony
"Of course he is disappointed, but he is okay."

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good respond on Maguire. Whatever he really thinks about Maguire, what the team need is Maguire that feels fully supported by his manager.