Press conference and other interviews thread

GlasgowRedz

Did he specifically say anyone was ruled out?

Edit: per FPL Casimero injured, Varane fit, Amrabat 75% chance of playing.
Could be any comments on player availability will be in the embargoed section of the press conference, may hear more about this after 10/11pm.

sugar_kane

Which journalist is still asking about Sancho? Is it the same one every week or do they do it on a rota?

Either way to still be asking by this point is a joke, I'd ban the next cnut to do it from future press conferences.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Which journalist is still asking about Sancho? Is it the same one every week or do they do it on a rota?

Either way to still be asking by this point is a joke, I'd ban the next cnut to do it from future press conferences.
Same reason why you have questions about Maguire (5th choice defender) all the time. Domestic players (in every country) have agents who have a deal with domestic journos.
"You write often about my player and you will be rewarded." "Exclusive" stories and leaks.....there are always same journos who run that stories.

Get In Scholesy

It’s the one that always sounds constipated when he speaks. Don’t know his name, but he’s probably the most shite of them all.

No pun intended.

IRN-BRUno

Copenhagen press conference:

Ten Hag on Sir Bobby
"As you say, Bobby as a legend, a giant, not only for Manchester United but for football. his legacy, what he left, was high standards we have to live here every day. Our thoughts are with his family, wife and children."
Ten Hag on dealing with emotions
"We are professionals, it's our job, but we must use those emotions in the right way. I saw a goal from Sir Bobby Charlton at Wembley and from distance and Diogo's was [like that]."
Ten Hag on team news
"Yes we hope [to have players back from injury]. Sergio trained all week, today he will train, then we have to assess if he is game fit or can be available for the squad."
Ten Hag on Copenhagen
"We have to win every game, if you lose the first two games, you definitely have to win."
Ten Hag on Eriksen
"He takes part in every game and you see his importance when he's on the pitch. He has a big influence on our team by creating and he's a brilliant player, someone who is very important to our squad. We have many good players [why he's not starting] and there's internal competition. In the midfield department, there is huge competition."
Ten Hag on Sir Bobby tribute
"Definitely [want to win for Sir Bobby]. First, we want to win as a tribute to Sir Bobby Charlton, we always want to do that in a certain way and that's what we're aiming for."
Ten Hag on Hojlund
"He grew up at this club and he will be highly motivated. He will send that in the right direction with the right balance."
Ten Hag on Martial and Hojlund
"They can play together because Anthony Martial is also available to play from the side."
Ten Hag on Sir Bobby again
"He is in front of Old Trafford, with Denis Law and George Best. He is always with us and they are always a huge inspiration for us, every day and for every game."
Ten Hag on atmosphere tomorrow
"It's always special every night at Old Trafford, the fans are always so behind us, it's a strong connection. The last home game against Brentford, when the game was going against us, they stayed behind us. The fans stick with us in adverse moments, we fight together, so definitely tomorrow after the passing of Sir Bobby Charlton, their hero, legend and giant, I'm sure it will be a very emotional evening."
Ten Hag on Hojlund again
"First of all, we have to work our routines, he misses pre-season, the first four games, but I think from the moment he came in, he gave the team a lot. We're building the routines and that will give him more time and to make better decisions for more goals, but the goals against Galatasaray were two brilliant goals. As well, also the one in Munich. I think he's a player who will always be in scoring positions in our team. I'm sure, I'm confident [he'll score goals] and Marcus Rashford the same."

Dalot quotes:

Dalot on Sir Bobby
"First, it's a big privilege, when you look at Sir Bobby's goals and it relates to one of your own. I was fortunate enough to get to know him. He was always there after the game and he represented the standard of the club, which is something we have to look back and see, if legends like this won the best titles, we have to follow those steps."
Dalot on momentum
"I think every game for us is an opportunity to show we can build confidence and momentum. When you win, it's easier to get that confidence and when you don't play how you want to, you have to find a way to win. We've shown that quality and we need to use these wins for momentum."

Revaulx

Mods: please can this thread be made sticky? It’s great to know what’s being said in press conferences without having to endure the tedium of watching them in their entirety :)

sugar_kane

How many minutes in todays til the customary “any updates on Sancho” question? I’m gonna say six.

IRN-BRUno

Man City press conference:

Ten Hag on team news
"Aaron [Wan-Bissaka] was training today, Casemiro is a race against the clock, not 100%."
Garnacho latest
"Not in this moment, we are talking with the FA, what you see, I can confirm that and I want to emphasise we are together, we are united, you saw that with the post of Andre."
Ten Hag on confidence
"That’s definitely to see we are back where we wanted to be, this is a hard team to beat. They find a way to win, we’re going in the right direction."
Ten Hag on the derby
"I think it’s a match that is so huge because it’s Manchester, it’s internal, but it’s also about world football. All the eyes will be on this game globally."
Ten Hag on performance levels
"I said in the right direction, we have a way to go, I see positives and I see also negatives, probably what Christian is referring to, we are not consistently in position at the level we can be where we show in games we can be, like Arsenal away and the first 20 minutes at Bayern away. We should do this on a consistent basis, but pressing we’re quite good, we have the most ball regains from the whole Premier League, the most middle regains in the whole league, our defending and pressing organisation, that is us. But we don’t take benefit in the attacking transition moments, we have the ability in our teams to take benefits from it. This is how to grow and progress and the games will become more easy."
Wins but no consistency?
"That is a team hard to beat. Sometimes it’s not the way you want to go but you have to win."
Ten Hag on lack of goals
"The cooperation has to click, but we showed this week some examples where there are so many we have overload positions, going in overload position to the opponent's goal and we don’t net or don’t even hit the target. We don’t have time to train this, we give some coaching and I’m convinced with the quality from our players that they will go and score more goals."
Ten Hag on Onana form
"You give him the standards and also the expectations, but also it’s about getting to the same level. He has high expectations from himself. We give him the confidence, look what you did in the past for great clubs in great leagues, you have the ability and the skills. The last two games were good progress, now we have to keep this going. It’s very good but at Manchester United good is not good enough."
Ten Hag on Rashford
"Give him the trust and play him every game, most of the games he finishes every game, so I have a strong belief he will return to scoring a lot of goals."
How far away from City levels?
"In this moment they’re six points ahead, we’re six points back, we have to catch up. We know we have to progress the team, make developments. It has to do with the cooperation, the movement around it, we have to work on that."

Thiagoal

Man City press conference:

Ten Hag on team news

Garnacho latest

Ten Hag on confidence

Ten Hag on the derby

Ten Hag on performance levels

Wins but no consistency?

Ten Hag on lack of goals

Ten Hag on Onana form

Ten Hag on Rashford

How far away from City levels?
My Rashy shall always play

Apokalips

My Rashy shall always play
I feel eventually he will drop him surely. He's finally started bringing him off earlier but then again I can just see the problems arising when whoever doesn't start instead of Rashford doesn't grab hat tricks game after game despite Rashford stinking up the joint.

I hope we are ruthless in the market next summer and look at a whole new front line of quality while cutting our losses on people like Antony. Let Hojlund take his time and develop without pressure of being the #1 striker and make Rashford et al have to perform at the top level in order to keep their spots.

Glorio

Has someone in the United comms team forgotten to post the embargoed section, or does that only come out on matchday?

IRN-BRUno

Fulham press conference:

Ten Hag on team news
"Varane is ready to play, he will travel with the squad. Victor Lindelof has some illness and we'll have to see if he's ready for tomorrow."
Ten Hag on character
"Remember the fight we showed against Brentford, If there wasn't spirit of characters in the dressing room, you couldn't do this."
Ten Hag on style of play
"I came here with my philosophy, based on possession, but also to combine it with the DNA of Man United, but also with the players and their character. We combined it last year and we played very good football last season. I want to play from the back and we try that in every game, but like against Man City, if they are good at pressing, it's a good option to go direct. We want to press, then go direct, because we have the players who are very good at it."
No style criticism
"I don't want to say that. That's too strong. The intention is clear, but the execution isn't there. In the moment we're in, with so many changes, we can't line up the same game each time and we have to swap. We miss players in the back four and every time we have to adjust, which doesn't help the routines."
Ten Hag on player mood
"They [players] are positive. They want to put this right and we know the standards here. We have to match them every day, we've had two big setbacks, but we'll fight back. The dressing room is strong, the staff are strong and this manager is strong."
Tomorrow a must-win?
"I never think of such scenarios - we have to win every game. We prepare very good and I'm sure the players are ready tomorrow to execute the plan."
Ten Hag on Ratcliffe investment
"I have a good squad. I'm convinced about the players in the dressing room. We saw these players last year, they can do a lot better, but that's up to me to let them play better. I have to take the responsibility to make them play better and I will put every effort in to get this done. I'm not thinking about transfer windows because I have a good squad."
Ten Hag on being hard to beat
"I think the players are hard to beat. In this moment, obviously with such two defeats, we didn't show it. But I'm convinced in the long-term, they will be hard to beat and they know how to do it."

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He's tone in that video is the first thing to give me confidence in him for a good while. Hopefully we can finally see that attitude on the pitch.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The worrying thing for me in that interview is that he thinks we played some "fecking good football" last season. It was alright in patches but for most of the season we were just going through the motions and were utterly hopeless in any away game against the top 10 or cup games against any decent opposition besides that Barcelona game. In the league, some of the top teams were having an off year and we sneaked into the top 4. The replication of last season's performances won't get us anywhere this season. And that tracks with the evidence so far.

Revaulx

The worrying thing for me in that interview is that he thinks we played some "fecking good football" last season. It was alright in patches but for most of the season we were just going through the motions and were utterly hopeless in any away game against the top 10 or cup games against any decent opposition besides that Barcelona game. In the league, some of the top teams were having an off year and we sneaked into the top 4. The replication of last season's performances won't get us anywhere this season. And that tracks with the evidence so far.
I’ve seen this repeated a lot lately recently.

We certainly had a few awful games, but finishing eight points clear of fifth is hardly sneaking.

IrishMcD

Named his key players and named Bruno, Rashford and McTominay. Needed to mention Maguire to completely wind me up on a Friday evening

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

We certainly had a few awful games, but finishing eight points clear of fifth is hardly sneaking.
It wasn't as smooth a sailing as you believe. Liverpool were in the running till the very late. One game here and there, and we could have easily been in troble.

At matchweek 36, we were only one point ahead of Liverpool. Although, we did have a game in hand. But it was a close call until then with Liverpool on an upward swing while we scraping by from one week to the next.

saivet

Agreed, certainly a handful number of games - Barcelona and Spurs at home in particular but the football was patchy for the most part. That's not to say we were always bad, lucky or playing badly like this season but the football was not as good as him or some fans have made out in my opinion. Last season was something to build rather than something to get potentially excited about.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Agreed, certainly a handful number of games - Barcelona and Spurs at home in particular but the football was patchy for the most part. That's not to say we were always bad, lucky or playing badly like this season but the football was not as good as him or some fans have made out in my opinion. Last season was something to build rather than something to get potentially excited about.
The football mightn't have been of the champagne variety but we were tough to beat, there was always a threat going forward and I felt relaxed and confident that we could see games out. The Carabao final was a perfect example, I absolutely knew we weren't letting them back into that even though we weren't great. Granted, things slid pretty dramatically after that but that simple effectiveness that we had from early September to March shouldn't be under estimated. I felt that was a necessary and very impressive first step.

Asger

The football mightn't have been of the champagne variety but we were tough to beat, there was always a threat going forward and I felt relaxed and confident that we could see games out.
Not away from home though. We were terribile in most of the away matches.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
He's tone in that video is the first thing to give me confidence in him for a good while. Hopefully we can finally see that attitude on the pitch.
Doesn’t talk any sh1t, and doesn’t take any either.

Would be deadly let loose on the Caftards

always_hoping

Yep seen that a lot also, some seem to have either short term memories or like telling tall tales. And for the record Liverpool in their last 10 league games they won 8 and drew 2 yet still finished 8 points behind United in 5th place.

The football mightn't have been of the champagne variety but we were tough to beat, there was always a threat going forward and I felt relaxed and confident that we could see games out. The Carabao final was a perfect example, I absolutely knew we weren't letting them back into that even though we weren't great. Granted, things slid pretty dramatically after that but that simple effectiveness that we had from early September to March shouldn't be under estimated. I felt that was a necessary and very impressive first step.
Much tougher to beat, superb home record with few goals conceded in OT.

Last edited:

Revaulx

Yep seen that a lot also, some seem to have either short term memories or like telling tall tales. And for the record Liverpool in their last 10 league games they won 8 and drew 2 yet still finished 8 points behind United in 5th place.

Much tougher to beat, superb home record with few goals conceded in OT.
There were clearly fundamental issues that needed addressing at the end if the season, not least our shocking away form.

But all this “I knew this season was going to be crap - it was obvious from the way the last one ended” is disingenuous bollocks. I don’t think people feel comfortable admitting in public (even on an anonymous internet forum) that something has happened that they weren’t expecting.

Glorio

Slightly better questions this time, delving into what he's trying to do on the pitch, and not just clickbaity drama.