Press conference and other interviews thread

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Reading the "every word" articles on the official site, they seem like valid questions. I obviously can't tell the tone in which they're asked, but if a keeper personally and consistently sabotages your CL run, you should expect questions to be asked about his place on the team.

While Onana's been very good recently in the PL, inconsistency across games/competitions is not a trait you want in a keeper.
See I think this is where fans struggle. When questions fit their agenda they say it’s alright. Whether you like Onana or not is not the point. Overstepping the mark is the point. Three separate journalists asked the same question, demanding ETH publicly criticised Onana when he’d already given a detailed answer that we believe in him, he needs to get better and he will. To be asked again…..and then have another journalist basically tell him to pick one of the other keepers, and naming them, SAF would’ve absolutely destroyed him for that.

Glorio

See I think this is where fans struggle. When questions fit their agenda they say it’s alright. Whether you like Onana or not is not the point. Overstepping the mark is the point. Three separate journalists asked the same question, demanding ETH publicly criticised Onana when he’d already given a detailed answer that we believe in him, he needs to get better and he will. To be asked again…..and then have another journalist basically tell him to pick one of the other keepers, and naming them, SAF would’ve absolutely destroyed him for that.
No struggles here. He answered a question and they dug deeper to get more than the initial answer. That's how journalism works, so we have to question where the agenda actually lies.

The biggest topic around Man United over the last few days has been Onana's errors in the CL, so it made sense that they explore it further.
I personally hope he does come good and build some needed consistency as he has shown how good he can be (having a new, highly rated, expensive keeper flop helps no one in United colours), but as I've mentioned, the Onana issue has been pretty topical.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No struggles here. He answered a question and they dug deeper to get more than the initial answer. That's how journalism works, so we have to question where the agenda actually lies.

The biggest topic around Man United over the last few days has been Onana's errors in the CL, so it made sense that they explore it further.
I personally hope he does come good and build some needed consistency as he has shown how good he can be (having a new, highly rated, expensive keeper flop helps no one in United colours), but as I've mentioned, the Onana issue has been pretty topical.
He answered the question in detail. Also the tone of one of them when saying…so he’s unstoppable then was cocky. They almost demanded criticism which then would’ve made headlines. They overstepped the mark and are getting above themselves. The initial answer given was more detailed than many managers would give.

It’s not how journalism would’ve continued to work under SAF.

Glorio

He answered the question in detail. Also the tone of one of them when saying…so he’s unstoppable then was cocky. They almost demanded criticism which then would’ve made headlines. They overstepped the mark and are getting above themselves. The initial answer given was more detailed than many managers would give.

It’s not how journalism would’ve continued to work under SAF.
Fair enough (on the tone), as I said, I read rather than watched, so could not decipher tonality.
The transcript on the official site said "un-droppable" by the way, not that it makes a difference if someone was being an idiot

Glorio

Post Match Interview - (after losing at Newcastle)

The team haven’t won against a top-eight team away from home for more than two years, why is that?
“So, I was waiting for that question. So we are always [having] issues. I know it’s your job to see that. We have the away form or we have the home form. We have this issue and we have to overcome this issue. It’s the truth. Today, I have to say credit to Newcastle. After the start, where we could have scored with Alejandro Garnacho, they were better than us, more proactive. We had to go behind, to go back, and we had to defend. We did that but, yeah, we allowed them one goal. In the end, we fought back, had two good opportunities, but we couldn’t take a point from here.”

In the first half, you were unhappy with Anthony Martial and he argued back at you. What was the issue with him?
“It’s not about Anthony Martial. It’s about the team. You try to energise the team, you try to get a reaction from the team, at this moment. You see we had a tough period so, in your coaching, you are a little bit more aggressive and that is normal.”

You have injury problems but was that first 80 minutes acceptable from a Manchester United team?
“No, if you lose, you’re always unhappy. You talk with the team and about the why [that was]. I am sure this team is resilient, we have to pick this up. This team has the experience and we have to get ready for Wednesday, the next game, and don’t stay too long on this game.”

Marcus Rashford is really out of form. There’s no denying it. Is it a matter of he’s out form due to a psychological issue, does it go deeper than that, so will you have to have specific words with him? Does it concern you that he was so high last season but so far off that this season?
“Yeah, I know the issue is coming up but Marcus is investing a lot. We support him. He will return to his form.”

It seemed like you stepped forwards against Everton and even Galatasaray so what is the reason for this big setback after two relatively good performances?
“I will talk with my team about the reasons but we have to do better and, as I said, I am sure they will pick this up and I am sure they are resilient. They have the character to do this.”

You say you’ll talk to the team but are you just hoping they get better or do you believe they will get better?
“No, I’m not hoping. I’m sure. We have seen good performances, in this week against Everton and Galatasaray. You always want that you play, every game, a perfect game. We have so many games in a short period and you can have also less good performances and now we have to pick this up.”

This is the same with Marcus as well, watching him he doesn’t seem himself?
“I repeat myself but he works hard and he is investing a lot. He will get back. He will recover and will get all our support.”

You mention Marcus is investing a lot and working hard but, in the first half, he wasn’t tracking back and was 60 yards behind the ball. Is that frustrating as a manager, that he’s not tracking back?
“I don’t go into individual performances.”

You had two centre-backs on the bench but Luke Shaw played in that position, which he is not familiar with. What is the point of this decision?
“Tactics. We wanted to create full-backs with a lot of overlaps, underlaps in attacking. It didn’t go up but that was the idea, to have fresh full-backs. Aaron [Wan-Bissaka] played one game, not the whole game, Diogo [Dalot] played at Everton and came on in Istanbul. Luke Shaw is returning from an injury and we didn’t want him to play as a full-back but this was the idea, as a centre-half. The centre-backs did very well, Harry [Maguire] and Luke Shaw together. That was clearly the idea, to get him in, in the left centre-back position, to construct opportunities and that Diogo can go higher.”
Again, as mentioned yesterday I like the fact that the press asked questions that we have as fans as well. If these are the sorts of performances we want to be putting out, the press are not the problem when they ask the difficult questions.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Post Match Interview - (after losing at Newcastle)

Again, as mentioned yesterday I like the fact that the press asked questions that we have as fans as well. If these are the sorts of performances we want to be putting out, the press are not the problem when they ask the difficult questions.
All his answers come down to I trust the players and am sure they have the character to bounce back. We are so fecked

IRN-BRUno

Chelsea press conference:

Ten Hag's reaction to Newcastle defeat
"We had a week of two good performances and one bad performance so from there on we carry on, the team is in a good direction. We played very good football scored very good goals against Galatasaray and Everton and against Newcastle didn’t play great, knew that, we're not happy with that performance, but although we stayed in the game and had two good opportunities to get a point. With a little bit more determination, we could have taken something. Still we are in the ranking, of course we dropped but are not too far away so we are okay."
Are the players behind you?
"Oh yes, I am sure, you can see for instance the comeback against Brentford, the Burnley game, the Fulham game, every time the team is there, showed great character, great determination, resilience so we are together. You can see you can’t play such great football as we did recently without unity."
Ten Hag on the journalist ban
"They should have come to us first and not go behind our back printing articles that is not the right thing. We have a good relationship, they come to us beforehand, we have a debate about it."
Concerned stories could be true?
"No, of course there are always in every team players who are not playing who are not as happy, not different as normal, you have to wait for the chance and that can come, but there are no issues."
Ten Hag on criticism of him
"I listen always to my players and I give them always opportunities to tell, if the players have a different opinion of course I will listen. Maybe one or two [have told me], but it is about in general, the majority want to play like this proactive, dynamic brave that is what they want. You can see the players are behind it because of the performances against Everton and Galatasaray, we are really improving, we can’t make the goal we did against Everton if the players don’t embrace it."
Ten Hag on disorder
"Not in the dressing room. Of course there are a lot of rumours but it is not that we get distracted by it. We are on a journey, a route, we know we are in transition but we are in the right direction, we construct a team, develop it, the team is progressing, young players coming in and you see the potential how they can contribute to a successful Manchester United team for the future."
Lack of effort against Newcastle?
"We are not robots, if you play three games in six days, tough games and by the end the fatigue can be an issue, never an excuse but it is there but against Galatasaray against Everton we played very good, against Newcastle we were not happy with our performance, We are the first to say, the players are the first, they are so self critical."
Ten Hag on Rashford (or not!)
"Everyone is disappointed, we saw Galatasaray, the performance and result in Newcastle, we are not the only team to lose there, they win all the games except for Liverpool but we want to win there and we did everything in our power but definitely our performance wasn’t good enough."

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The Utd - Chelsea pre match conference was painful to watch. Doesn't look good. Looks to me like he is losing the dressing room after watching that. Hmm...
Honestly I don't know what gave you that vibe.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
It's the current agenda in the United Forum, I didn't see much wrong with his responses.
Exactly this. He’s been dealt a shitty stick and his trying to sort.

If people drive him out, because they think success should be instant, or the grass is greener with another manager, despite all the evidence, then they deserve all the pain that comes with the cycle.

Maximum pain

Glorio

The fact he calls Everton and Galatasaray good performances is worrying. I'm hoping it's just a defence tactic as it's a theme this season that when the scoreline favours us, even if we let upwards of 20 chances, EtH calls it a good performance. It's not convincing anyone.

There were improvements in our attacking play, but surely he's aware the defensive issues were laid bare in all our last 3 games, even with the 3-0 win?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Almost a United press conference. Asked about United and ETH quite a bit. I don't really watch press conferences of other team's managers, but it turns out they are just utter cnuts en masse these clickbait whores.

Anthony133

Another “thrown under the bus “
Why are people criticising ETH
It’s the overpaid f”@kers … who don’t give a feck about this club
Oh I give up.
Should we go for Sam alladyce or Southgate.?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We had two very good performances against Everton and Gala?

Is he lying or is he delusional?

He seriously can not believe that we are "progressing", if anything we are regressing.

However, iirc, VG kept talking about some of our most boring performances as "good performances", so may be it's a Dutch thing.

ti vu

We had two very good performances against Everton and Gala?

Is he lying or is he delusional?

He seriously can not believe that we are "progressing", if anything we are regressing.

However, iirc, VG kept talking about some of our most boring performances as "good performances", so may be it's a Dutch thing.
LvG used to cite possession stats as way to explain what he thought as good/attacking performance. It's arguable on whether it's attacking and good performance, but in term of possession yield, his method showed result.

Everton and Galatasaray both got more possession against us. Both had more shot on target. So outside of impli cation of comfortable scoreline, and comfortable lead period in Galatasaray in game, it's not a standard good performance for a strong team in many performance metrics. We're still using underdog tactic which as Newcastle game showed, a decent team wouldn't allow us to get goals to excuse for our sorry tactic and performance.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is obviously delusional, it's not the first time he mentions shite performances as very good football. He was doing it even when we weren't this shite last year at times.

He thinks if you have three shots on target, or if you played how he wanted to play(despite the opposition outplaying him), it means they played well. His stubbornes is somethong that will eventually get him fired, same as every Dutch manager in PL before him.

HookedOnAPhelan

He's probably just trying to build up the confidence of the squad. I have a hard time believing he thinks these performances were good.

ti vu

He's probably just trying to build up the confidence of the squad. I have a hard time believing he thinks these performances were good.
But then it's against the high standard upholder, he used to be known about last season and especially at Ajax. Very worrying sign in a sense that we're not getting the same manager we thought he would develop to be.

IRN-BRUno

Bournemouth press conference:

Congratulations on MOTM and POTM awards
"And the goal of the month as well?"
Ten Hag on Maguire & McTominay
"I think we have a squad and in the squad there is internal competition, if you want a successful season you need more than 11 players. Finally, in every season, it will turn and in every season it's what is the best team. They are here, they are great players and played into the team. That's what you expect from every player, there has to be dedication to aim for this."
Who is the crisis Manchester club?
"So we know where we are going and we had our setbacks, especially at the start of the season, things went against us with injuries, decisions and sometimes you find yourselves in such a place. You see the character of the team, we're in a better place, better form. The performances are increasing, we are performing as a team and as individuals, you have to be sharp in every game, this league is very competitive and you see it in results this week. Everyone kills everyone."
Ten Hag on Rashford's form
"So Rashford is an incredible, good player. You can't do it with 11 players, he can't play every game, he's not in this moment in the form he was last year but I am sure he will get there. What I said about Scott McTominay and Harry Maguire: up to them. The team will always line themselves up and the best players who form the best team will play."
Ten Hag on Bournemouth
"I think they have very good form, Bournemouth, we have seen them, it's a very good side, very good constructed, capable players, again you have to play your best. Everyone is killing everyone, you have to be 100 per cent ready as a team for that game, that's our job to do, to get there."
Ten Hag on his selections
"As manager, my coaches, with the rest of the staff, we always consider but the next game is always the most important, especially in the Premier League where everyone is killing everyone, you need a strong team."
Ten Hag on McTominay again
"Actually from the first moment I saw, he has a very good smell to make it in the box and he is a very good finisher, that is not a surprise when the team, when we bring it and the way we want to play and get the balls to them he will finish."
Ten Hag on Shaw
"He is a player others can build on, he gives belief and confidence to other players, teammates around him feel comfortable, he will deal with diff situations, he will set up, take the initiative, create and strengthen absolutely the team. His presence, his personality, but the skillset with physicality, so strong, technical very good, he is a high-profile player and we are happy he is back."

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Ten Hag on Bournemouth

Ten Hag on Shaw
Sounds like Rashford is out of favour for now then. I'd anyway more generally be surprised if he started on the weekend after Garnacho and Antony both doing great against Chelsea.

Anyway, it's hilarious how Dutch his English still is. Very understandable of course, but he seems totally unaware of the word 'well', and his talk is littered with Dutch syntax and directly translated Dutch expressions. It's a lot of fun if you know Dutch. :D

RedDevil@84

Ten Hag on Bournemouth

Ten Hag on Shaw
Just kill them all.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Football's gonna be a PG-13 sport if this continues.

IRN-BRUno

Bayern Munich press conference:

Ten Hag not contemplating exit
"I don't know. What I know is I never think in a negative scenario. We know what we need to do to stay in Europe."
Did you eye winning Champions League
"First, I don't think about winning the competition when you start the season. Now, we still have the opportunity. It is not in our hands. We have to win to stay in Europe."
Team news
"It is a condensed programme. We have training... I am not sure about everyone who is available.
"Question mark on Victor Lindelof. We have to wait to tomorrow."
Why are United confident
"It is our team. We have very good performances and highs. We are able to beat any opponent."
United can beat anyone
"The game against Chelsea, Everton. Even against Galatasaray. This team can perform at really high levels."
How to improve
"We have to work about that. It is my responsibility, to improve the team. I will give everything, the team will as well.
"I can show them the clips from Chelsea. If we have a good plan we can beat any opponent."
The last clash with Bayern
"There were stages in that game when we played very good. It was head-to-head for a long time. We suffered some mistakes that were avoidable. When you play against Bayern you have to be at your best. Chelsea also had amazing players, we dominated them."
Message to the fans
"That's clear. Old Trafford is not a nice play to come for an opponent. As long as I am here we are here together. We have to energise them."
Why can't United find consistency like they did last season
"We had a regular team, not so many changes. Especially in our back line. That helps you. You get the routines in. We have to wait for that.
"I think it is personnel. We are not the only team. I see inconsistency from other teams in the Premier League."

McTominay quotes:

Consistently inconsistent
"We know the inconsistencies, we are not naive to that. We have spoken as a group. The schedule is relentless, we can't blame it on the backload of fixtures."
How close did he come to exit
"There is always speculation. It was always a case of work hard. The faith in the manager has been massive for me, it is about repaying him."
Game management issues
"Every team is super athletic, a lot of the time we need to match that and more. We need to get together sometimes. It needs to come from the players. It is finding that consistency and balance."
Players are behind the manager
"It is the players responsibility. We know that as well. We have big characters in the dressing room. It is not like the other managers when it has been toxic at times. Boys are firmly behind the manager. Players can get lost in translation, we just want to do well for the football club. It is as simple as that."

IRN-BRUno

Liverpool press conference:

Ten Hag on team news
"Harry will not be available for the coming games, but we don't think it's long term. Luke Shaw trained this morning, so we think he's available for Sunday. Marcus Rashford will be back, Martial not."
Ten Hag on who will captain United
"Yes I know [who my captain will be]."
Ten Hag on pressure
"I'm focussing on the process, making the team better and that's my concern. That's what I'm focussing on, the right thing, and that's the team. There is no concern because I'm here to win and I have to make the team play better. Good is not good enough, we are inconsistent and I have to work on how the team will play."
Ten Hag on Hojlund
"As you've said, he's scored in the highest level in the Champions League with five goals. That's a huge performance from a young player and you see he has the potential. I'm sure he will get there and score in the Premier League. I see how he works in training."
Ten Hag on playing Liverpool
"No [not worried]. We will put out a team that can challenge and we'll prepare them in the best way we can. We are confident we can put out a team that can win."
Ten Hag on Liverpool 7-0 scars
"I haven't seen last season we were scared there. It was a bad experience, but it's not similar, you start again. Last year, the first half we played very decent and we got hammered just after half-time, then we collapsed. That can't happen but it's last year, it's a different team and different players for a part at least. We won't ignore it, but we'll be confident and we have to fight, challenge and go there with the idea, to prepare to win."
Ten Hag on leadership
"We talked about this issue many times. These players have proved they can deal with that and Sunday is the next challenge. That is our demand, we have to do it repeatedly and consistently."
Ten Hag on Liverpool again
"Everyone is highly motivated when you go to Anfield, it's a great place to go. You know it's going to be tough and what every top footballer wants is that challenge. You have to look forward and last year, we take that in our memory, but you have to take the benefit and learn from it. On Sunday, we can prove that."
Do you envy Liverpool?
"They're playing good, no doubt, but we have some more tough games in the last period. Bayern are a very good team, so we have seen we can go head-to-head with them. That is our challenge for Sunday as well."

IRN-BRUno

West Ham press conference:

Team news
We have some doubts. We have some illnesses during the week; we have to see who is available for tomorrow. Hopefully they are recovered but we have to see.
Update on Casemiro and Martinez
Not available before Christmas. In January we expect them back.
Other absences including Lindelof surgery
Mason Mount similar, into January. Maguire I expect early on and Lindelof is not available. He has done a surgery, so he will be out for a couple of weeks. He had a problem, he has to do the surgery.
No goals in three games
We have played very strong teams in Liverpool and Bayern Munich, and before we had a poor game [vs Bournemouth].
Always issues. We have to improve, we played very good against Bayern Munich and Liverpool but we should have created more chances and been more clinical in such moments.
More chances needed
I think we can definitely improve. It is not about one player; it is about a group of us. You know my philosophy: we have to attack with 11.
It is not about one player, it is about everyone. We need to move the ball better, the decision-making on the ball has to be better. Sometimes we also have to be more clinical. The best chance at Liverpool was ours.
Super League
I refer to the statement the club wrote yesterday. I have to look in more detail if I want to express an opinion on [whether structural change is inevitable].
January transfers
The current squad, I am happy. As we get our players back, we have a good squad. I think a lot of our… the way it went, the reasons behind… many players not available.
When players are back - Casemiro will be back, Martinez will be back, Mason Mount will be back - we will be much stronger after the window.
Lack of PL goals from Hojlund
We are open. He is open. His mentality is great. He is a very good performer with stress; he deals with that. But it is not all about Rasmus; it is about Marcus Rashford, Alejandro Garnacho, Antony, Bruno Fernandes, Scott McTominay.
Don’t forget our full-backs who have to be a big part of that. I’m sure we will improve. If our squad is full, it is better in balance and we should create more chances.
Having midweek off
First of all, we had such a busy programme. The lads had some days off ahead of another busy week. They needed the rest physically, to get away from football, mentally. We can go in the week, a great opportunity for us.
The Liverpool result will give the team confidence. Now we have to compete with the best teams in this league and now we have to get forward. We have to make next steps and demand more from each other to make that step forward.
Christmas plans?
My plans, it has to be around the games! The games are going to be my key point, to focus on. We have three big games to play this week.
It’s always a massive period for any club in the Premier League but definitely now for us. We will focus on that, but in the spare time we will take time with my family to celebrate Christmas.