Press conference and other interviews thread

norm87cro

He's tone in that video is the first thing to give me confidence in him for a good while. Hopefully we can finally see that attitude on the pitch.
No its a sign he has lost it and is under tremendous pressure

norm87cro

Everything from his body language and tone suggest he is under pressure and is losing it. Im a bit sorry for him but he has burned a lot of bridges since coming to OT so he can look himself in the mirror once in a while

klsv

Everything from his body language and tone suggest he is under pressure and is losing it. Im a bit sorry for him but he has burned a lot of bridges since coming to OT so he can look himself in the mirror once in a while
What do you mean by burned bridges?

soapythecat

Watching the presser has made me realise again how much we need this guy to turn it around. I’m as frustrated as everyone else with the results, with ETH, with the players but more so the club. But I really do feel that he could be the guy who sorts us out on the field if the structure is changed to support him.
He’s made mistakes and you can see he’s struggling but I hope he pulls it round. I’ve been quite vocal about him these last few weeks and would have been happy to see him go, but when you watch him you kind of know he’s the right guy….he needs a break.

norm87cro

Watching the presser has made me realise again how much we need this guy to turn it around. I’m as frustrated as everyone else with the results, with ETH, with the players but more so the club. But I really do feel that he could be the guy who sorts us out on the field if the structure is changed to support him.
He’s made mistakes and you can see he’s struggling but I hope he pulls it round. I’ve been quite vocal about him these last few weeks and would have been happy to see him go, but when you watch him you kind of know he’s the right guy….he needs a break.
No he doesnt need a break. If he can talk the talk towards his players he needs to walk the walk and grind out this next 5-6 fixtures of winnable games

norm87cro

Upset Ronaldo and Sancho :boring:
And Ragnick and letting go of Greenwood aldo he is eligable to play for this club and is doing better for Getafe than Antony and Rashford.
Ronaldo and Sancho?
More like Ragnick, Sancho and Greenwood. But I said it before IMO he has polarized the dressing room preferiring his own players that havent been any better than the ones he ha marginalised

Revaulx

And Ragnick and letting go of Greenwood aldo he is eligable to play for this club and is doing better for Getafe than Antony and Rashford.
You do realise that there are other people involved in the running of Manchester United than the manager? I’m not getting into the rights and wrongs of it, but there’s no evidence to suggest that ETH had anything to do with the “letting go” of Greenwood. On the contrary; there are many reports that he was expecting him to stay.

More like Ragnick, Sancho and Greenwood. But I said it before IMO he has polarized the dressing room preferiring his own players that havent been any better than the ones he ha marginalised
Like playing McTominay ahead of Mount? Bruno ahead of Antony? I’m not sure who you are referring to.

norm87cro

You do realise that there are other people involved in the running of Manchester United than the manager? I’m not getting into the rights and wrongs of it, but there’s no evidence to suggest that ETH had anything to do with the “letting go” of Greenwood. On the contrary; there are many reports that he was expecting him to stay.

Like playing McTominay ahead of Mount? Bruno ahead of Antony? I’m not sure who you are referring to.
Bruno and Antony are not positional competition so I dont know what you are referring to either

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Greenwood doing better how? 5 points in 6 starts for him, no wins and he's not playing well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People talking about the "letting" go of Greenwood as if it was a football decision!

IRN-BRUno

Luton press conference:

Ten Hag on nine defeats
"It's about the end result and we have to win every game, so we are very disappointed. It's always about a process, thinking about it and then managing the process, which is what I focus on."
Ten Hag on player character
"I think we often proved we can, like at Fulham, Brentford, this team can overcome big setbacks."
Ten Hag on Rashford's form
"He is not happy. We are not happy. He has high expectations from himself, at the moment he is not in his best form but I know he will be back."
Ten Hag on Luton
"I think they have had some good performances and results. We're aware of that and there's no easy game in the Premier League. You must be at your best and we have to be 100 per cent focused to win."
Ten Hag on Evans
"So we don't, in this moment, have a full assessment done. We didn't finish it, we don't have the details so far, but for tomorrow he's out."
Ten Hag on Mount's lack of starts
"He had some starts. Also recently, last week against Newcastle, but there are always reasons and sometimes, like the injury [at start of the season] and other players doing well, then you have to wait for your time to play."
Ten Hag on Mount again
"It hasn't changed at all [expectations of Mount], but he started the season, then he got injured, so that is the worst moment for a new player to get injured because it stops the integration process and that was a setback for us all. Now we have to find his place back."
Ten Hag on Rashford
"In this moment, he's not in his best form, but I know he will be back. When the team is playing better, he will play better, he will score goals, I'm confident of that, so yeah, also this season he will improve and score. He's totally in the team and aware of everything. he will be back on track and it can happen very quickly. Sometimes you only need one game and I'm sure he will get there."

IRN-BRUno

Everton press conference:

Luke Shaw in United squad to face Everton
"Andre is okay. He stepped in training today, he's good. Rasmus: still is a close finish. He's training, he finished outside, making very good steps and we have to wait until tomorrow and we will make a final decision.
"Luke Shaw will be available for Sunday, he will be in the squad. To Jonny: he's on the way back, he's not ready for Everton, he will not take long."
Luke Shaw return a big boost

"You can mention many things - physical, technical ability, it's clear. Long time this season we didn't have a left full-back. Very happy he is back. He will help us be more stable."
Ten Hag wary of 'mad' Everton after points deduction
"It's always about us. I can see the opposition, I can see they are mad. Finally, it's about us.
"If they are mad, that's their fuel, we have to match those standards. If we match the standards we have a very good chance to win the game.
"I don't know the details about [the points deduction], I don't have an opinion. I can imagine Everton fans are very mad. We can do nothing about it. We have to match their standards."
A massive week is on the horizon

"We go in a week, very condensed, we play three games in six days. As a squad, we have to deal with that.
Of course, we have a plan, a strategy for it, we make the players aware and they have to take responsibility for it but especially it's about cooperation."
United the most in-form team in the Premier League
"We go into a massive month, we are looking really forward and confident, in the Premier League, everyone is winning from everyone, there are no easy games for anyone, every team will drop points, but the last five games, We won four and that gives us confidence in the next games."
United have turned a corner
"Definitely, we have seen a turning point, we have seen how we deal with certain situations that we build on a certain foundation and now we have to build on."
Raphael Varane latest
"I don't know what you're talking about. There is internal competition, when you have to decide on two players who are brilliant. Harry Maguire and Raphael Varane, you have to make a decision."
Ten Hag not concerned by lack of goals
" Our players are able to score goals; they have shown it already. Rashy last season, Hojlund in the Champions League. Our players are capable; there will be a point when it comes. They have to step up, but our players have the ability to score goals."
Ten Hag has no complaints with his touchline ban
"Let's say this, it is a ban. You are not always agreeing with the referee, many decisions were against us. Still I have to accept it."

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Raphael Varane latest
What specifically was the question here? I've seen the discussion about a fall-out on the forum, but I didn't see a clear indication that there really was a fall-out and what it was about. So what did Ten Hag respond to here when he said 'I don't know what you're talking about.' ?

IRN-BRUno

What specifically was the question here? I've seen the discussion about a fall-out on the forum, but I didn't see a clear indication that there really was a fall-out and what it was about. So what did Ten Hag respond to here when he said 'I don't know what you're talking about.' ?
"And can I ask about Raphael Varane, there have been reports of a disagreement with him. Can you clarify what the situation is there?"

Full answer was;

"Rapha Varane, I do not know what you are talking about. It is rumours. He is a very important player, but there is internal competition. That should be [like that] in a top club like we are. The competition and when you have to decide between two players who are brilliant, Raphael Varane and Harry Maguire, you also have to make a choice for that decision.”

Glorio

"And can I ask about Raphael Varane, there have been reports of a disagreement with him. Can you clarify what the situation is there?"

Full answer was;

"Rapha Varane, I do not know what you are talking about. It is rumours. He is a very important player, but there is internal competition. That should be [like that] in a top club like we are. The competition and when you have to decide between two players who are brilliant, Raphael Varane and Harry Maguire, you also have to make a choice for that decision.”
Sounds like common sense. No one expects Varane to be happy that he's not playing, and yet this rumour of a fallout has grown wings with no actual proof apart from the lack of a passionate smooch between EtH and Varane before he came on to replace Evans in the CL.

EtH has even given his reasoning - balance, with the other options better able to play with their weaker foot. In addition Maguire is more durable, currently playing better, and thus offers some needed stability in the backline.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Full answer was;

Cheers! And sounds fair enough. Let's see what's true. :)

IRN-BRUno

Galatasaray press conference:

Hojlund and Antony available
"They are in the squad."
Mainoo is ready for Galatasaray
"If players are good enough, they are old enough."
Not worried by poor away record
"You can always find. Last year we couldn't win away from home, now we can't win at home! We know what we can do and we are confident. We know how to deal with it."
Handling the occasion
"You have to stay calm in your head, don't get too emotional. You have to control it. Don't give them anything, don't give the referee a moment they can take. We know how to deal with it. We have to make it our game."
Ten Hag not looking beyond tomorrow
"First, we have to do it. Then we see what it will do with the team. The same as we beat Everton, difficult game in that environment. If you can beat them it can give you confidence."
On the penalty
"It is great leadership, if you know your teammate needs that goal."
Handling the Mainoo hype
"We are very pleased, but it is one performance. You have to do it on a consistent base. We are confident he can do it, but you have to prove it. You are only as good as your last game.
"Enjoy it first, but keep the focus on the game. Don't get distracted. It is about the game, focus on your game, your performance and get the right levels in."
Pellistri has a chance
"He has to make also a step from bench player, coming in and having a good impact, to a starting eleven player. We will see how quick that process will do."
Turning hell into heaven
"We have to make it our game. Manchester United have a great history but you can't take anything from it. We have to make your own future."
United's poor record in Turkey
"Tomorrow it is about making it our game. It is on us."

Bruno quotes:

United must remain in Champions League
"For us it is really important to be in the competition, with the best clubs in Europe. It would be disappointing if we didn't go through. Our focus is on winning this game, where the atmosphere will be intense. You want to be in these stages. We have to enjoy the challenge."
Why he gave Rashford the penalty
"It was in the moment. He is important for us. For strikers it is about getting the first goal. We need our strikers to have the confidence to score them."
Fernandes on the penalty
"We are never 100 per cent sure. I could have taken the penalty and missed, we will never know!"
Fernandes on his captaincy
"I have to deal with that. I understand that the tough part is always coming after the first games, when results and performances aren't always as they should be. I know my numbers when I came made me a target.
"My focus is on the team, on the staff, on those who work with me day-by-day. The way I am it has not changed by being the captain. I am really open with everyone. I have to keep the same way."
Garnacho can be even better
"I don't know if he has been training that, it won't be good for his back! He has that special talent, but I am more happy for his work off the ball against Everton. For me, it was his best game. He is going to be such a good player, for his age, for his talent, he can be much better."

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Galatasaray press conference:

Hojlund and Antony available

Mainoo is ready for Galatasaray

Not worried by poor away record

Handling the occasion

Ten Hag not looking beyond tomorrow

On the penalty

Handling the Mainoo hype

Pellistri has a chance

Turning hell into heaven

United's poor record in Turkey

Bruno quotes:

United must remain in Champions League

Why he gave Rashford the penalty

Fernandes on the penalty

Fernandes on his captaincy

Garnacho can be even better
Can't deny, he's good at pressers. Much better than most of our previous managers post-Fergie. Not the most entertaining but says the right things.

IRN-BRUno

Newcastle press conference:

Ten Hag on Mainoo
"If he's ready or not, he showed on Sunday he was ready and then we have to manage three games in six days to get the best results of all the games, we have more than 11 players, we have good options there. Sofyan showed he was playing a good game. We have to manage the load of the players and it's about freshness as well."
What about Mainoo impresses you?
"His scanning, it looks like he always has time because he is scanning, he is running free, he is scanning to see the options and make the right decisions. Can delay, can speed up, he makes the right decisions."
Ten Hag on Onana
"If you analyse it well then you see he is the second-best goalkeeper in the Premier League based on stats, his expected preventing goals is second-best in the Premier League. He's doing well but he knows that in the Champions League he has made some mistakes but all over in the first five months he has done well."
Frustrated with Galatasaray result?
"You say it very good. How good we play. On Wednesday, we played very good, also in Copenhagen. Even in Bayern Munich we played very good. But we have to do some things better. Eliminate individual errors, transition but we can sort this out and I would be more concerned if we didn't play well."
Ten Hag on Onana again
"You know also. Because you have seen how he is reacting on a bad performance like in Munich at Burnley he was outstanding. He is a strong character, he is a personality and he will deal with it."
Ten Hag on injury news
"I don't think about the Munich game. First we go back into Premier League. But there are players on the way back but I can't give a prognosis on how long it will take. Mason Mount today is returning on the pitch but I don't know how long it will take, in this moment."
Ten Hag on Newcastle
"I really respect them, it's a difficult team to play but it's a good challenge and I like to play against, we have to rise to the occasion, be on our best against them because the way they play is very organised."

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He is the right amount off asshole in his press conferences. Too bad that arrogant demeanor doesn't translate onto the pitch.

Glorio

Reading the "every word" articles on the official site, they seem like valid questions. I obviously can't tell the tone in which they're asked, but if a keeper personally and consistently sabotages your CL run, you should expect questions to be asked about his place on the team.

While Onana's been very good recently in the PL, inconsistency across games/competitions is not a trait you want in a keeper.

ti vu

It's worrying if ETH truly believed we did well overall against Bayern. We got the goals, and started the game very well, but after the first goals Bayern got the game in the bag and played how they wanted. It's more luck than anything we only conceded 4 and got 3 goals back. Zero control of the flow of game IMO is not playing well.

The journalists are vile though. The questions are not that bad, but their tone is clearly provocative.

90 + 5min

Some of those journalists took some huge liberties there. That needs dealing with by the club.
That is why I've said in VAR and Ref thread that we need to start to ban certain media from Old Trafford. They are there for only one agenda.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It's worrying if ETH truly believed we did well overall against Bayern. We got the goals, and started the game very well, but after the first goals Bayern got the game in the bag and played how they wanted. It's more luck than anything we only conceded 4 and got 3 goals back. Zero control of the flow of game IMO is not playing well.

The journalists are vile though. The questions are not that bad, but their tone is clearly provocative.
We played well against Bayern until the ridiculous penalty decision. Lost shape and composure after that - but it isn’t easy when you’re against a top team away from home and your goalkeeper throws one in the net and the ref gives them a penalty immediately after you get back in the game.