Press Conference | Everton (H)

poleglass red

I dont get people here, bad If Jose take a dig at Woodward , bad if he doesnt . Most ppl here are a bunch of cry babies.
I think it's the fact he tries to blame everyone else except himself. He'd be better inclined to air his dislike for players and board behind closed doors. Turning this club into a feckin soap opera.

Farfetched

Changing the formation at a drop of the hat isn't magically going to make things better.
Interesting thought, I have watched games where a manager has changed the formation during a game to good (and sometimes bad) effect. Formations should reflect the knowledge the manager has on the strength and ability of his players and ebb and flow of a game.

Gandalf

Well allegedly we didn't buy Mina because Ed couldn't afford him but then he rocked up at Everton a week or so later. I would imagine that most people would draw the conclusion that Everton showed more ambition this summer when presented with that information.

Joseunited

No. He's saying that he wants to reach Barca's level, but Woodward only wants to reach Everton's level.

You've got it the wrong way around.
If that's what he means then surely he doesn't care if he gets the boot because in his eyes the club doesn't want to be where Jose wants to be.

ErranMorad

Well allegedly we didn't buy Mina because Ed couldn't afford him but then he rocked up at Everton a week or so later. I would imagine that most people would draw the conclusion that Everton showed more ambition this summer when presented with that information.
First of, where did you get that information from? Eddy's briefing to the press suggested that the club didn't want to invest in players that they didn't think are better than our current lot.

Second, no, most people won't draw that conclusion because there can be a plethora of reasons for which we didn't go after a player who joins Everton later. In fact, only Everton coveting Mina would suggest the players current level.

Third, in all this nonsense about reaching Barcelona's level with Barcelona's rejects, Mina has a grand total of 0 minutes for Everton this season & Gomes has started a single league game so far. It's not as if those players have rocked up and taken Everton to another level; they aren't even starters yet. It's preposterous to suggest that a player who can't get a minute in the team over Michael Keane (a player we let go) & Zouma would have walked straight into our team.

Last edited:

Idxomer

So buying 2 average squad players from Barcelona, one of them barely featured means that team aspires to be like Barcelona. What kind of logic is that?

Stoke City says hi and they bought and loaned from Munich, Madrid and Barcelona.

SER19

Lukaku 'playing' 90mins is paramount to being rested his movement is so limited.

Does he eat constantly between games?!

Also, is José sacked yet? Football worse than LVG, talking up opponents worse than Moyes. The man is a busted flush.
Mourinho hasn't been sacked, no.

Gandalf

I did not say Mina was any good or that he would have walked into our team, I was simply stating that we claimed it would cost too much to sign him and yet Everton had no problem meeting the terms of the deal. I personally think that does indicate a lack of ambition at Old Trafford and it is also rather embarrassing to complain about how expensive a player is and then watch a serial mid table team like Everton waltz in and sign him. I don't care who is managing the team, if we continue to talk like Harrods and shop at Lidl we won't win anything.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...chester-uniteds-claims-excessive-agents-fees/

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He is actually,Lukaku looks like he should be in the boxing ring not a fecking football pitch,he's massive.
Just by the way,if we were set up to attack teams,Rashford would be a nightmare for any team.He has just about everything,unfortunately the idiot in charge only wants to pander to the big lump in the team and Fellaini when the big lump can't score.
This is the exact thing that I am talking about, Rashford getting massively over rated. If he has everything and would be a nightmare for defenders then why is he not able to perform to a good standard when playing out wide?

He is not very good, bang average. People like you will have us believe he is as good as M'bappe. I can't believe I actually thought this myself at one point. However the form Rashford was in was a flash in the pan just like Lingard.

Typical of United youth players to get over hyped. Every man and his dog is furious with how United have been in the last 5 years, yet they want Rashford to start as the main striker. It is paradoxical.

nikineil

Everton want to be a top 4 club like us.
Basically this. With the amount of money floating around in the Premier League now, AND with Leicester winning the league recently, why is it so bad for a team like Everton and Wolves, with new owners, new money to aim for a top 4 place, perhaps even a title challenge. And it is fairly obvious that we are not spending on numbers of rejects from big teams (Gomes and Mina, for example). Granted, our signings post Fergie have been mediocre at best, I don't see anything wrong with what Jose said there. He is just pointing out the investment by what used to be permanent mid-table clubs. But I do not like the incessant pointing out by Jose before/after every single freaking game.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
That was truly mild mind game from Jose if even that was the point... or he just trying to say we're in for another difficult match ? Another Newcastle outcome won't be good for mental health of supporters. Just say you want to play good football and win for the fans.

Why everything have to be so cryptic and complicated with this guy...

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If you look at Moshiri, the money he's spent in a short space of time, the plans for a new stadium, plans for future investment into the community and the Glazers, it's actually extremely generous to say we have the same ambitions as them. They've closed the gap on us in the last year or so and will continue doing so.
"Glazers biggest fan" tag, please

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Or:

Everton want to be as good as Barca.
We want to be as good as Barca.

Mindblowing.
:lol:

You know fully well what Jose is implying here, that our owners share a similarly low level of ambition comparable to that of mighty Everton, which is an insult aimed directly at the board for not purchasing the players he had requested in the summer. Read the quotes with an open mind rather than the blinkered approach you have gone with prior.

These were his quotes after the Juve game the other day:

“They don’t hide,” he said admiringly, having previously gone public with his own disappointment at United’s failure to land more than one of his transfer targets. “Juventus are always a big candidate in the European competitions but the investment they made shows they want to win it this time.

Do you not see the correlation between the two seperate comments?

Walters_19_MuFc

If Lingards back, then its means Mourinho has enough players to put Lukaku on the bench if he wants to.

Rashford
Martial Mata Lingard

That said, if Rashford doesnt play well, you can see Mourinho saying 'the media wanted Lukaku dropped so I dropped him. Now you see why I play him'.

peridigm

I read somewhere Everton have not managed a win at OT in 25 matches.

That's it. Another record will be broken this weekend.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well mate I won't try to change your mind, if you want to believe this has no hidden meaning despite being similar to the previous ones that had, that's your prerogative.

How is buying Uefacelona's rejects gonna get them to Uefacelona's level?

By his own logic we should have traded one of our players (Pogba) for 2 of Uefacelona's rejects (Mina and Gomes) in order to reach their level...
He says they aspire to get to that level. He doesn't say they are there, or they are going to get there, or even that it's realistic. Hes being complimentary of the opposition, which every single manager does. So no that isn't his logic, that's stretched logic based on something he hasn't said, but you've interpreted. It's up to you if you want to find the hidden meaning in every word he utters, but it looks a bit daft from here.

ivaldo

You know fully well what Jose is implying here, that our owners share a similarly low level of ambition comparable to that of mighty Everton, which is an insult aimed directly at the board for not purchasing the players he had requested in the summer. Read the quotes with an open mind rather than the blinkered approach you have gone with prior.

“They don’t hide,” he said admiringly, having previously gone public with his own disappointment at United’s failure to land more than one of his transfer targets. “Juventus are always a big candidate in the European competitions but the investment they made shows they want to win it this time.

That literally makes no sense. He's said they aspire to be Barcas level, it's right there in the quote. Unless you think that's a low level, then your logic contradicts itself.

No there is no correlation.

Kapardin

Everton's ambitions are similar to ours.:houllier:

One thing's for sure, Ed won't keep him on next season even if he wins the treble this season. He's a PR car crash.

Aloysius's Back 3

To be fair perisic, maguire & willian remind me of a everton team more so than young players or players approaching their prime like Pogba & Varane.

Chairman Steve

If you don’t think those comments are the words of someone saying “Sack me” then I don’t know what to tell you.

Our board seems to have this battered wife mentality with recent managers.

ivaldo

Interesting thought, I have watched games where a manager has changed the formation during a game to good (and sometimes bad) effect. Formations should reflect the knowledge the manager has on the strength and ability of his players and ebb and flow of a game.
They should. And if a manager thinks changing a formation just to remove an out of form player, and play in form players out of position to accommodate it without prior training in said formation, then we should probably go along with it.

ravi2

If you don’t think those comments are the words of someone saying “Sack me” then I don’t know what to tell you.

Ed and the rest of our board are dogshit plus Jose is past it.
Its a terrible situation from all angles.

Aloysius's Back 3

You could see it from the way he is dressed. When he was happy to be here and was relaxed - he came to game in tracksuits and coach jackets. Now that he is thinking about his nexxt job - he arrives in suits looking like it might be his final game and he either has to talk to the media in a final press confrence or that he has a job interview at another club. Guy is proper see through.

Jojo <3 Mou

Everton's ambitions are similar to ours.:houllier:

One thing's for sure, Ed won't keep him on next season even if he wins the treble this season. He's a PR car crash.
This was no slight on United, it was in praise of Everton's ambitions.

Yes, their ambition are similar to ours. To be upset by that statement suggests that you don't think our ambitions are high/big enough.

So the question is, what do you think our ambitions are? Who sets out those ambitions and obtains the players and staff to achieve them?

Mainoldo

This was no slight on United, it was in praise of Everton's ambitions.

Yes, their ambition are similar to ours. To be upset by that statement suggests that you don't think our ambitions are high/big enough.

So the question is, what do you think our ambitions are? Who sets out those ambitions and obtains the players and staff to achieve them?
To win the league. The manager is hired to get the job done. Guess who’s failing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That literally makes no sense. He's said they aspire to be Barcas level, it's right there in the quote. Unless you think that's a low level, then your logic contradicts itself.

No there is no correlation.
I know where this is going.

Agree to disagree.

Slik

I did not say Mina was any good or that he would have walked into our team, I was simply stating that we claimed it would cost too much to sign him and yet Everton had no problem meeting the terms of the deal. I personally think that does indicate a lack of ambition at Old Trafford and it is also rather embarrassing to complain about how expensive a player is and then watch a serial mid table team like Everton waltz in and sign him. I don't care who is managing the team, if we continue to talk like Harrods and shop at Lidl we won't win anything.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...chester-uniteds-claims-excessive-agents-fees/
He was seen as expensive by the club because he is not as good as what Barca want for him. Mind you the club was willing to pay 100m for Varane. It wasn’t a lack of money that was the problem. It was a lack of value for money option.

Don’t let mourinho deceive you. He has already wasted money on two Center backs that he doesn’t trust and you expect the club to just buy whoever he wants without making sure they are good enough to warrant the amount we spend on them? This is simple logic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jojo <3 Mou

To win the league. The manager is hired to get the job done. Guess who’s failing.
Nice change of conversation.

In case you pissed my point, it's that it is silly to be mad about that quote. You say we have high ambitions (which is debatable) so in essence, Mourinho thinks that Everton has high ambitions. :)

The manager is hired to get the job done. Guess who’s failing.
I'd say United is failing. This is a team sport. Mourinho fails then United fail. Of course, the question will always be asked if the manager was given an environment in which to thrive.

Joseunited

This is the exact thing that I am talking about, Rashford getting massively over rated. If he has everything and would be a nightmare for defenders then why is he not able to perform to a good standard when playing out wide?

He is not very good, bang average. People like you will have us believe he is as good as M'bappe. I can't believe I actually thought this myself at one point. However the form Rashford was in was a flash in the pan just like Lingard.

Typical of United youth players to get over hyped. Every man and his dog is furious with how United have been in the last 5 years, yet they want Rashford to start as the main striker. It is paradoxical.
Mbappe would struggle in this current United side,if Rashford played for PSG he would be anything other than bang average.You don't like him mate that's fine but he's much better than you want to give him credit for.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

In case you pissed my point, it's that it is silly to be mad about that quote. You say we have high ambitions (which is debatable) so in essence, Mourinho thinks that Everton has high ambitions. :)
Higher than Everton's that is for sure.

If our owners shared a similarly low ambition to that of Everton's, they would not have appointed proven winners such as LVG and Jose Mourinho, the likes of which have claimed a multitude of honours, both domestically and on the European stage, managing some of the biggest clubs on the planet. Rather they would have aimed for relatively unknown quantities such as (and the following examples are pulled totally at random) Koeman, Martinez, David Unsworth, Big Sam or Marco Silva.

Also, transfer market expenditure is a clear representation of a football clubs level of ambition. United have spent £700 million since Fergie retired. Everton have barely spent half that amount.

Last edited:

Jojo <3 Mou

If our owners shared a similarly low ambition to that of Everton's, they would not have appointed proven winners such as LVG and Jose Mourinho, the likes of which have claimed a multitude of honours, both domestically and on the European stage, managing some of the biggest clubs on the planet. Rather they would have aimed for relatively unknown quantities such as (and the following examples are pulled totally at random) Koeman, Martinez, David Unsworth, Big Sam or Marco Silva.

Also, transfer market expenditure is a clear representation of a football clubs level of ambition. United have spent £700 million since Fergie retired. Everton have not even spent half that amount.
I can't argue with what you believe but, I will say that Everton has spent over 500 million euros post 2012/13. That looks to me like BIG ambition. In Mourinho's tenure alone they have spent almost 400M euros. Not ambitious?

Mainoldo

I'd say United is failing. This is a team sport. Mourinho fails then United fail. Of course, the question will always be asked if the manager was given an environment in which to thrive.
Another fan backing the boss over the club I see.

He thrives in environments like Chelsea and Inter. Where he is the ‘heritage’

CA1

Also, transfer market expenditure is a clear representation of a football clubs level of ambition. United have spent £700 million since Fergie retired. Everton have not even spent half that amount.
Moshiri took over about 18 months ago.

They've spent 300m in that time which is more than us.

And the more they improve the more they'll spend as they'll be able to attract a higher quality of player.

WensleyMU

Another fan backing the boss over the club I see.

He thrives in environments like Chelsea and Inter. Where he is the ‘heritage’
Are you claiming Inter were a nothing club before Mourinho?

I wonder what garbage you will come up with next...

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If you look at Moshiri, the money he's spent in a short space of time, the plans for a new stadium, plans for future investment into the community and the Glazers, it's actually extremely generous to say we have the same ambitions as them. They've closed the gap on us in the last year or so and will continue doing so.
Well then he should go and manage Everton.