Press Conference for Huddersfield

Raw

Honestly, the amount of times the question of EL and 4th place was being asked in the race for top 4 thread. Seriously, every fecking page! I wouldn't mind normally, but it's not as if we went through exactly that in 2017, or that the exact same questions arose in 2015, or that the questions had been asked and answered literally the page before!!
Seriously, it's not like it's difficult to understand! It's almost as bad as people who still can't wrap their heads around the away goals rule :lol:

Now the EL places, that gets a bit complicated.

red4ever 79

I know. I just want it to end, but then you know we are all going to suffer through the summer. Our hopes will all be built up over transfers just be crushed. Then Watford will win the cup and we will finish 6th and have to pre-qualify for the EL. Which might feck over our pre-season. God I need to talk to somebody.:lol::(:(
Haha. Season will start again in July for us I think. I am just getting the withdrawal symptoms. Always a long summer with no football and no big tournaments.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
If we finish 4th we are still in the CL as you can have 5 qualifiers. It is only a problem if someone outside the Top 4 win the CL. Only one team can win the EL. If we are outside Top 4 we will be in the EL anyway.
There is a chance Spurs lose to Bournemouth away and Everton at home, albeit a very small chance. They also have a chance to beat Ajax with Son back from suspension. Then they are in a final and could win it.

Chelsea or Arsenal also look set to win the Europa Cup. I'd put money on Arsenal and I also think they are likely to do enough with only Brighton and Burnley to play. Chelsea have far harder league games with Watford home and Leicester away.

However, it's not entirely implausible that United pull a miracle in getting top 4 by Premier League games going our way, but then some how get screwed by Chelsea and Spurs screwing up in the league but winning in the respective European cups.

TRUERED89

There is a chance Spurs lose to Bournemouth away and Everton at home, albeit a very small chance. They also have a chance to beat Ajax with Son back from suspension. Then they are in a final and could win it.

Chelsea or Arsenal also look set to win the Europa Cup. I'd put money on Arsenal and I also think they are likely to do enough with only Brighton and Burnley to play. Chelsea have far harder league games with Watford home and Leicester away.

However, it's not entirely implausible that United pull a miracle in getting top 4 by Premier League games going our way, but then some how get screwed by Chelsea and Spurs screwing up in the league but winning in the respective European cups.
So you think Spurs will drop out of top 4 but win CL to take top 4 off us? Not a chance in hell. Spurs will finish 3rd unfortunately but Ajax will be in the final I'm certain!

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
So you think Spurs will drop out of top 4 but win CL to take top 4 off us? Not a chance in hell. Spurs will finish 3rd unfortunately but Ajax will be in the final I'm certain!
I'm saying it's possible. Ajax have done well, but Spurs have the ability to beat them. Beating Barca is less likely but in a one off game things can happen.

Again the odds everything works out exactly as required is unlikely. Top 4 is as good as gone, but there is a thread of hope

TRUERED89

I'm saying it's possible. Ajax have done well, but Spurs have the ability to beat them. Beating Barca is less likely but in a one off game things can happen.

Again the odds everything works out exactly as required is unlikely. Top 4 is as good as gone, but there is a thread of hope
Miniscule glimmer of hope, did you see Barca and Spurs 2 group games btw? Messi will terrorise them again if they have the bottle to get past Ajax!

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Haha. Season will start again in July for us I think. I am just getting the withdrawal symptoms. Always a long summer with no football and no big tournaments.
Copa America, Afrian Cup of Nations, Women's World Cup, Nations League..

Barnslig

Is Greenwood incredibly injury prone? Seems to get injured every time there's a chance for him in the first team.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That's a real shame for Greenwood, I think he'd have got a lot of minutes in the last two games, hopefully gets a start vs Cardiff.

Daggers from Ole, good to see he's not just this nice guy and won't let the press/players get away with the leaks.
Let's hope he sorts this out.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Solskjaer on being ruthless
You give people a chance, but sometimes, you’ve got to be ruthless and say: ‘Sorry but you had your chance.’ I’m not afraid to do that.

On killing a few dreams by selling players
You say that ‘dream’ for some of them, if you show me that’s your dream I don’t think I’ll be showing them the door – that’s the thing because they’re talented enough.

You have to perform at Man Utd - and to perform you’ve got really work towards that dream and that’s what we’re doing everyday as a staff.

I’m so impressed with everyone - the coaches, the ones they really care about this and you want to see players caring, you want to see [them saying/acting]: ‘This is my dream, I’m going to do whatever it takes to', because that’s probably what they started off when they were young kids: they want to play at big clubs, they want to win trophies, and when you have that desire, drive inside yourself, you’ll be successful at a club like this.

Samid

On attracting players without CL
I’m not worried, because I know that Manchester United is something that players would love to experience.

But they also want to be part of a successful Manchester United. It’s not that I speak to all the agents, but agents speak to the club and we do have some names there that might not be possible because of the clubs they’re at as well.

But Manchester United will always be a dream for so, so many, and a season without the Champions League, there and then, there might be players where Champions League football matters for them, and they might not be the right people.

Samid

On challenging the top 2 next season
It is not realistic. Of course I’m an optimist but I don’t think that’s realistic, because the two teams now at the top of the table they are far ahead of the chasing pack.

We have to make sure that we are getting closer and moving that way up the table and not looking over the shoulders because there are big clubs, good clubs wanting to chase that top six. You’ve got Leicester, Everton, Watford, probably Newcastle, you’ve got clubs that want to chase us. We have to make sure that we are ones who chase those ahead of us.

Samid

On not making a significant number of signings
We’ve got to get it right on the pitch with the ones we have; it’s not just about signing players. It’s about making sure that the ones here get the maximum out of their potential, because we do have so many good players here, and that’s my job, to work with them. At the moment, I’m responsible for the performances. I’m the one that should get that flak if there is some.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am not sure many here would like those last two answers.

RedDevil@84

Good to see him taking some digs at the presser. The English press is too cnutish to be as sweet as he has been in previous weeks.

-Supreme-

You give people a chance, but sometimes, you’ve got to be ruthless and say: ‘Sorry but you had your chance.’ I’m not afraid to do that.
I wonder who he is referring to...Martial is obvious but who else?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he’s talking about the likes of Pogba and De Gea fair enough but if Jones and Young then he’s really a fecking idiot.
Young is a fantastic professional in fairness. He's operating in a position that the club failed to recruit in, hardly his fault. Sure he should never be starting for us anymore but by way of mentality and having the right attitude, giving your all and all that - there are many that don't fit the Man Utd profile before I'd go to him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wonder who he is referring to...Martial is obvious but who else?
Hopefully it's Martial, Lingard, Matic, maybe Lukaku too. It's probably Sanchez because he also never really came back from injury (I'd argue he wasn't really picked either but meh).

POF

It is not realistic. Of course I’m an optimist but I don’t think that’s realistic, because the two teams now at the top of the table they are far ahead of the chasing pack.

We have to make sure that we are getting closer and moving that way up the table and not looking over the shoulders because there are big clubs, good clubs wanting to chase that top six. You’ve got Leicester, Everton, Watford, probably Newcastle, you’ve got clubs that want to chase us. We have to make sure that we are ones who chase those ahead of us.
Wow, that is a really worrying quote.

"We need to focus on improving our own team and not worry about other clubs" was all he had to say. Or "since I've been in charge, we've got the third most points so obviously we're looking to keep improving".

Bringing up Everton, Leicester, Watford and fecking Newcastle when discussing challengers next season is a massive worry.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Wow, that is a really worrying quote.

"We need to focus on improving our own team and not worry about other clubs" was all he had to say. Or "since I've been in charge, we've got the third most points so obviously we're looking to keep improving".

Bringing up Everton, Leicester, Watford and fecking Newcastle when discussing challengers next season is a massive worry.
It’s the harsh truth that this is our level at the moment, leading anything above Top 6 but far from title challenging.

minoo-utd

We’ve got to get it right on the pitch with the ones we have; it’s not just about signing players. It’s about making sure that the ones here get the maximum out of their potential, because we do have so many good players here, and that’s my job, to work with them. At the moment, I’m responsible for the performances. I’m the one that should get that flak if there is some.
Wonder how many players/names deserve to be here? From the squad we have I hardly find 4 5 players we need to keep or we can trust them to perform better. Sorry Ole but for me he is a yes man and will not get the backing, and if we only add 1 or 2 that won't be a progress. When we still have names like Young,Jones,Smalling,Lingard,Sanchez,Rojo,Darmian and many more.

Charlie Foley

City / Liverpool / Tottenham are top 3 - so if we finish 4th , Chelsea or Arsenal would be 5th or 6th and if they win EL , they go , we are fecked up .
No. We had this exact situation 2 years ago when we won EL and finished 6th :lol:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Wonder how many players/names deserve to be here? From the squad we have I hardly find 4 5 players we need to keep or we can trust them to perform better. Sorry Ole but for me he is a yes man and will not get the backing, and if we only add 1 or 2 that won't be a progress. When we still have names like Young,Jones,Smalling,Lingard,Sanchez,Rojo,Darmian and many more.
I think Mourinho was a "no man" so I'm not sure that works out automatically either. How is a manager going to survive by immediately standing up to the owners, you do know he will get fired very quickly if thats the case, which means whatever plans he does have becomes obsolete anyways?

Ashley R1+O

We need to squash this. Players are coming here for a 45% creamskin on their pay packet and the ability to bail quickly when it gets tough. This will probably be the hardest thing to fix in the next few years.

POF

It’s the harsh truth that this is our level at the moment, leading anything above Top 6 but far from title challenging.
One of the main reasons Ole got the job was bringing back the United mentality and winning culture during his caretaker run. Holding standards incredibly high and challenging the players to match it.

Now they've downed tools it's more important than ever to set those standards. "We need to maintain our position above Leicester and Watford" is not setting a standard. If he's going to talk like that, it's hard to see why he is the manager.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
One of the main reasons Ole got the job was bringing back the United mentality and winning culture during his caretaker run. Holding standards incredibly high and challenging the players to match it.

Now they've downed tools it's more important than ever to set those standards. "We need to maintain our position above Leicester and Watford" is not setting a standard. If he's going to talk like that, it's hard to see why he is the manager.
That is not what he said though:lol: So ridiculous. He clearly says that the league is strong, and we have to be in a strong position so not to look behind us and that United should be chasing the top. That in it self could be interpreted as a negative look out as we obviously would like to be looking down on teams that chase us, but that is unrealistic. Ole is saying we have to be realistic and make sure we keep distance to those teams below us at the moment, because they are not going to lay down for us.

I feel people are just venting and aiming it randomly at the manager after being presented some sort of easy narrative presented by the media. All the negativity we had with Mourinho, and the minute Ole shows some positivity and talking the club up, we see fans turn their nose up saying "thats wrong we're shit, he is a yes man" :lol: Managers after SAF can't win at this club.

mu4c_20le

Sly dig at Wolves

POF

That is not what he said though:lol: So ridiculous. He clearly says that the league is strong, and we have to be in a strong position so not to look behind us and that United should be chasing the top. That in it self could be interpreted as a negative look out as we obviously would like to be looking down on teams that chase us, but that is unrealistic. Ole is saying we have to be realistic and make sure we keep distance to those teams below us at the moment, because they are not going to lay down for us.

I feel people are just venting and aiming it randomly at the manager after being presented some sort of easy narrative presented by the media. All the negativity we had with Mourinho, and the minute Ole shows some positivity and talking the club up, we see fans turn their nose up saying "thats wrong we're shit, he is a yes man" :lol: Managers after SAF can't win at this club.
This is exactly what I like about him and why that quote shocked and worried me.

In fairness, I've not seen the presser yet, just read the quote. I hope you're right and the quote was worded in a way to misconstrue.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This is exactly what I like about him and why that quote shocked and worried me.

In fairness, I've not seen the presser yet, just read the quote. I hope you're right and the quote was worded in a way to misconstrue.
I only read the quote too. The article clearly was.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
This starts to becoming Moyes all over again. His words is from someone who’s not comfortable with the challenge he has in front of him.

Taking wild swings from left to right with words like “ruthless” and I’m not afraid”, then he starts to become a little bit defensive and suddenly it’s “not realistic” and “I’m an optimist” to end up with “at the moment I’m responsible for the performances”. What tf is this? At the moment.... Give me one moment when you’re not responsible?

This is the thing. Rule number one when things go south. Don’t start to explain and defend your actions if you don’t know how to finish with style and confidence. The line “at the moment” is typical for someone who’s insecure and don’t know exactly what to say. Then it’s better to be more bold and with confidence say “I’m the manager of Manchester United and I will take us back to the top whatever it takes”. Control the narrative ffs.

Next blunder is to say “you got to be ruthless”. Why state the obvious. Every manager on elite level has to be ruthless but the ones with credibility don’t talk about it, they just do it. Bang!! You’re gone. Hasta la vista baby.

I’m perfectly aware of that he’s new to this position. You can’t prepare yourself for moments like this because when the shit hits the fan there is no second chance to do it right. That’s why saying less is golden.

Now we are where we are. I wish him the best but I have seen this before. You can paint the Zebra like a horse all you wants but it’s still a Zebra.

rotherham_red

This is staring to becoming Moyes all over again. His words is from someone who’s not comfortable with the challenge he has in front of him.

Taking wild swings from left to right with words like “ruthless” and I’m not afraid”, then he starts to become a little bit defensive and suddenly it’s “not realistic” and “I’m an optimist” to end up with “at the moment I’m responsible for the performances”. What tf is this? At the moment.... Give me one moment when you’re not responsible?

This is the thing. Rule number one when things go south. Don’t start to explain and defend your actions if you don’t know how to finish with style and confidence. The line “at the moment” is typical for someone who’s insecure and don’t know exactly what to say. Then it’s better to be more bold and with confidence say “I’m the manager of Manchester United and I will take us back to the top whatever it takes”. Control the narrative ffs.

Next blunder is to say “you got to be ruthless”. Why state the obvious. Every manager on elite level has to be ruthless but the ones with credibility don’t talk about it, they just do it. Bang!! You’re gone. Hasta la vista baby.

I’m perfectly aware of that he’s new to this position. You can’t prepare yourself for moments like this because when the shit hits the fan there is no second chance to do it right. That’s why saying less is golden.

Now we are where we are. I wish him the best but I have seen this before. You can paint the Zebra like a horse all you wants but it’s still a Zebra.
Moyes had the champions who had romped home to the title the season before and promptly went and fecked it all up.

Ole came in to a broken team who have been consistently inconsistent and were just as likely to be in the Europa than they were to be in the CL season to season. In fact, we were on the verge of being overhauled by Wolves at the point of the season he came in at.

A massive difference between the two, and of their situations. Considering how much of a poisoned chalice this job has been to both LVG and Jose, I think it's only fair to surmise that Ole isn't 100% settled in the role, and won't be until he can get his own team and squad in place. This will be a long process, and Ole needs to be given the time to build the club back up to what it should be. The structure and everything about the club is in a mess right now.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Moyes had the champions who had romped home to the title the season before and promptly went and fecked it all up.

Ole came in to a broken team who have been consistently inconsistent and were just as likely to be in the Europa than they were to be in the CL season to season. In fact, we were on the verge of being overhauled by Wolves at the point of the season he came in at.

A massive difference between the two, and of their situations. Considering how much of a poisoned chalice this job has been to both LVG and Jose, I think it's only fair to surmise that Ole isn't 100% settled in the role, and won't be until he can get his own team and squad in place. This will be a long process, and Ole needs to be given the time to build the club back up to what it should be. The structure and everything about the club is in a mess right now.
This isn’t a dig at you but let’s be real, leaders with confidence and a winning mentality don’t need explanations and excuses. The first step to become successful is to know where to go and believe in your own ability. Turning this huge ship around is a massive task, that’s why we need someone who’s crazy enough to take on this challenge without hesitation and fear.

I said this before. Solskjaer should ask Woody and the owners directly if they want to back him up all the way or not. Start to be ruthless against the owners and put pressure on them. If he don’t receive the answers he wants then walk away. That’s how you present yourself with authority and show them and the world who’s in charge. Now he sounds like Woody’s bitch.

Denis' cuff

This isn’t a dig at you but let’s be real, leaders with confidence and a winning mentality don’t need explanations and excuses. The first step to become successful is to know where to go and believe in your own ability. Turning this huge ship around is a massive task, that’s why we need someone who’s crazy enough to take on this challenge without hesitation and fear.

I said this before. Solskjaer should ask Woody and the owners directly if they want to back him up all the way or not. Start to be ruthless against the owners and put pressure on them. If he don’t receive the answers he wants then walk away. That’s how you present yourself with authority and show them and the world who’s in charge. Now he sounds like Woody’s bitch.

Last para: exactly what Jose did. Owners won’t budge.

Ole will have had an indication of how much the club will invest and no doubt, this would’ve been vague and accompanied with caveats like depends on who we sell, how good newcomers are, how well the team are responding, all the time, the bottom line will be paramount as it has since they took over, hence the procession of “cheap” has-beens that actually have not been cheap, due to their wages. This ownership has been disastrously short-sighted. At a rough guess, I’d say around 50% have been choices of previous managers. Ole, would be as loyal to the club as you could get but he is actually a professional and this is a job. He will accept the terms in the belief that he can succeed, as most managers would.

-Supreme-

Hopefully it's Martial, Lingard, Matic, maybe Lukaku too. It's probably Sanchez because he also never really came back from injury (I'd argue he wasn't really picked either but meh).
Martial, Lingard and Lukaku aren't in the squad today, I'm hoping that isn't due to injuries...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

We have to make sure that we are getting closer and moving that way up the table and not looking over the shoulders
because there are big clubs, good clubs wanting to chase that top six. You’ve got Leicester, Everton, Watford, probably Newcastle, you’ve got clubs that want to chase us. We have to make sure that we are ones who chase those ahead of us.
The feck? We should absolutely be able to compete, but only with enough signings. He's changed his tune since saying it's 5 or 6 in or whatever it was. Briefing from above?

On killing a few dreams by selling players
You say that ‘dream’ for some of them, if you show me that’s your dream I don’t think I’ll be showing them the door – that’s the thing because they’re talented enough.

You have to perform at Man Utd - and to perform you’ve got really work towards that dream and that’s what we’re doing everyday as a staff.

I’m so impressed with everyone - the coaches, the ones they really care about this and you want to see players caring, you want to see [them saying/acting]: ‘This is my dream, I’m going to do whatever it takes to', because that’s probably what they started off when they were young kids: they want to play at big clubs, they want to win trophies, and when you have that desire, drive inside yourself, you’ll be successful at a club like this.
This is bang on though.