Prince Philip Dead | Ceremonial Funeral to take place on Saturday 17th April | Prince Andrew is NOT a pedophile

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
As a non Brit who never cared about these things, can someone quickly explain why the husband of the Queen is a "Prince" and not a King?
Old patriarchy laws, king trumps queen, and men that marry the Queen are known as Prince Consort rather than the Queen consort when the vice versa happens.

The business is Her, everything else is a sideshow.

Smores

I can't believe some of you are making light of a 99 year old racist bigot dying. Shame on you all.

Thought he represented just about everything that's wrong with the royal family, but it's still a bit weird he's gone considering how prominent he has been in the UK for so many years.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As you all know I'm a republican but you have to feel sad for his passing.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Well done lads, came back on here after years expecting some good ones and you haven't disappointed.

Charlie Foley

Death is never something to be rejoiced, everything aside a woman has just lost her husband of well over half a decade - she doesn’t need our sympathies but some of these responses aren’t a good look.
I guess 70+ years is well over half a decade

WPMUFC

As a fellow republican, i respectfully disagree. The uk royal family represents a bloodsoaked stain on humanity. A group of people held under divine reverence and used as the tip of the spear to subjugate generations of various societies for the sake of empire.

My sympathies lay solely with those that felt the wrath of imperial rule.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I actually do, but have cheered up by having a ruddy good laugh at some of the gags in here.

Well done lads, came back on here after years expecting some good ones and you haven't disappointed.
First thought when I found out he'd died was to check out the thread on the Caf for the lolz.

Withnail

As a non Brit who never cared about these things, can someone quickly explain why the husband of the Queen is a "Prince" and not a King?
Sexism and Historical reasons really.

The King would be a higher authority than the Queen so Phillip couldn't be King but the wife of a King is a Queen.

TheReligion

Abusive
I remember before my nan passed talking to her about what it was like watching my grandad be ill & then dying; she said it left her very empty, I’ll never forget that conversation.

Death is shit for those that go but selfishly, it’s torture for the living.
Very true words

Foxbatt

he was a laugh
Yes he was a laugh and does have a great sense of humour too. He did have a habit of making gaffes too. I did see him when he came to our class when I was a kid and was fairly entertaining.
Philip loves his drink and on one of their foreign trips, the Tour started with a football match between the team of HMY Britania and the local island team. Prince Philip started the tour by kicking off the ball. He said that he enjoyed it very much as it was the first time he had started any tour with a Kick.

predator

Youth NITK
Some odd people on the Caf. Like the kids at school who feel being naughty gives them status or something..

Anyway despite what you think of him as a person, or the institution he was part of, someone has now been widowed and a family have lost a loved one.

The Queen has been married to him for 75 years. Sadly in this kind of situation the surviving partner usually passes not long afterwards.
Agreed.

I'm no fan on the monarchy but joyfully taking the piss when a 99 year old man has passed away is just weird.

Charlie Foley

When I think about the royal family this piece from Christopher Hitchens when William and Kate got married always pops into my head. There is this bit about the Queen and Philip that I think is interesting
The British monarchy doesn’t depend entirely on glamour, as the long, long reign of Queen Elizabeth II continues to demonstrate. Her unflinching dutifulness and reliability have conferred something beyond charm upon the institution, associating it with stoicism and a certain integrity. Republicanism is infinitely more widespread than it was when she was first crowned, but it’s very rare indeed to hear the Sovereign Lady herself being criticized, and even most anti-royalists hasten to express themselves admiringly where she is concerned.

I am not sure how deserved this immunity really is. The queen took two major decisions quite early in her reign, neither of which was forced upon her. She refused to allow her younger sister Margaret to marry the man she loved and had chosen, and she let her authoritarian husband have charge of the education of her eldest son. The first decision was taken to appease the most conservative leaders of the Church of England (a church of which she is, absurdly, the head), who could not approve the marriage of Margaret to a divorced man. The second was taken for reasons less clear.

The harvest was equally gruesome in both cases: Princess Margaret later married and divorced a man she did not love and then had years to waste as the model of the bone-idle, cigarette-holdered, gin-sipping socialite, surrounded with third-rate gossips and charmers and as unhappy as the day was long. (She also produced some extra royal children, for whom something to do had to be found.) Prince Charles, subjected to a regime of fierce paternal harangues and penitential cold-shower boarding schools, withdrew into himself, was eventually talked into a calamitous marriage with someone he didn’t love or respect, and is now the morose, balding, New Age crank and licensed busybody that we flinch from today.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I don't think I've ever seen the Beeb have a special front page for anything. Even for remembrance events it's always the same standard format. But for Prince Philip they've dug up some new special design.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I don't think I've ever seen the Beeb have a special front page for anything. Even for remembrance events it's always the same standard format. But for Prince Philip they've dug up some new special design.
That was made months ago, they probably have one for the Queen made years ago.

No Love

That was made a few months ago, around the time he was pickled and put into storage.