Pro Cycling 2018

RedFish

Missed so much of this Vuelta just working a crazy rota. Will be able to catch tomorrow onwards. Hoping Yates holds on this time, he's looked super strong and seems to have guaged his efforts well these last 2 1/2 weeks.

vangagal

From Briton to another Briton. Some people must be sick to see the sight of them. Well done Simon. And dont crack big time tomorrow.

vangagal

Its D-Day for Yates and Mitchelton-Scotts. I hope they win Vuelta. Such a redemption after that humiliating at Giro. And their shirts have nice design as a added bonus.

RedFish

That was a big lesson by Froome. He's more calculating his moves in Vuelta. His form comes in right time.
Yeah, I heard the team had to hold him back more than a few times, such is his natural instinct to attack. He held it together mentally superbly well all 3 weeks. Haven't been a huge fan of his but he's really won me over with his sheer determination. Well earned victory!

Ainu

Well deserved for Simon Yates. This is an incredible era for British cycling in grand tours and it doesn't seem like finishing any time soon. I'm sure Yates will go on to win more.

RedFish

Well deserved for Simon Yates. This is an incredible era for British cycling in grand tours and it doesn't seem like finishing any time soon. I'm sure Yates will go on to win more.

Oh for sure. He was so close in the Giro, he could have had 2! I hesitate to call anyone a pure climber because to win a GT you need to be an all- rounder. I guess, he has surprised me there! All the more credit to him.

RedFish

Easy as they come :lol:
!

Ridiculous Palmares. QSF have signed a dud.:lol:

1st La Philippe Gilbert Juniors
1st La Route des Géants
Aubel–Thimister–La Gleize
1st Points classification
1st Stage 2b
1st Time trial, UCI Junior Road World Championships
UEC European Junior Road Championships
1st Road race
1st Time trial
National Junior Road Championships
1st Road race
1st Time trial
1st Overall Giro della Lunigiana
1st Mountains classification
1st Stages 1 & 2
1st Overall Course de la Paix Juniors
1st Stages 2a (ITT) & 4
1st Overall GP Général Patton
1st Stages 1 & 2
1st Overall Aubel–Thimister–Stavelot
1st Stage 3
1st Overall Trophée Centre Morbihan
1st Stage 1
1st Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne Juniores
1st Guido Reybrouck Classic

Ainu

It's certainly impressive but I'm a bit hesitant to just assume he'll dominate elite cycling as well. Youth competitions don't necessarily mean anything. It doesn't help some are already calling him the new Merckx around here. Still, I'm excited to have such a talent and I'm curious to see what he can do in a couple of years.

Red Stone

I've never seen a junior dominate as much as Remco is doing currently. 1:24 to the runner-up on a 28km ride is just brutal. He's just on a completely different level to everyone he races against, despite his complete lack of racing smarts and a less than efficient position on the bike. If Quick-Step iron out his weaknesses quickly and teach him how to race we have a potential Merckx-level rider on our hands here.

Then again, the fact that he's being held back from competing at a higher level when Juniors is clearly at least two steps beneath him and then jumping straight up to the very highest level could be detrimental to his development.

Very interesting prospect nonetheless.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Lefevre knows his business, they'll not throw him to the wolves right away but slowly develop him and offer him racing days in less known tours to get him acquinted with pro cycling. He couldn't be at a better place and in a better team than Quick Step.

Red Stone

Lefevre knows his business, they'll not throw him to the wolves right away but slowly develop him and offer him racing days in less known tours to get him acquinted with pro cycling. He couldn't be at a better place and in a better team than Quick Step.
Agreed, and it helps that QS are Belgian as well. Their track record with young riders is very good, and they have a team that's good enough to shield him from too much responsibility too soon. He's only 18 years old as well, so he has two or three years left to learn the basics of actually riding in the peloton rather than just leaving it in his wake before he will be expected to start getting top results at World Tour level.

Ainu

Dumoulin and Dennis overwhelming favourites today, wonder which of the two will come out best. You'd have to think Dumoulin will deal with the climb a lot better than Dennis, but Dennis has shown himself to be in exceptional form so far this year and particularly recently in the Vuelta. I think Dumoulin will get it but Dennis will run him close.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Damn, only half a second or Campenaerts would've gotten silver but still, what a result! Chuffed with that.

Ainu

Best Belgian performance ever in a world championship ITT for Campenaerts, excellent performance. For Dumoulin it was perhaps too much to ask after contesting 2 grand tours this year (where he finished second), against an incredible Dennis who peaked perfectly. Looking forward to the road race now!

RedFish

Wow, Dumoulin just nabbing second. I thought he'd do better but he's done a lot of riding this year. Dennis, well deserved win though, he was just outstanding today and has been all year really.

onemanarmy

He could save the celebrations until he crosses the finish line the prick. ;)
Philippe Gilbert style :)

Unreal he's only been cycling for a good year. He played football, was captain of the Belgian national team in his age group. Insane.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Ecstatic with this result, get the feck in Alejandro you beauty. So deserved.

Ainu

That final climb was brutal. Some of the best climbers were almost standing still or going sideways, what an epic struggle. I would've preferred Nibali (who clearly hasn't been ok since that fall in the Tour) but Valverde is a fantastic winner of course. He has waited so long for this, to finally pull it off at 38 years of age is incredible.

onemanarmy

I prefer a Flanders type of World Championship, as this was pretty boring but the ending was cool. Alaphilippe, didn't see that one coming. I thought no one would come close to him. Big difference in a 150km Tour stage and a 260km WC I guess.

RedFish

Can't deny Valverde that. Bardet too, I underestimated him as a rider of races such as this. Him fnishing 2nd in the Strade Bianche made me surprised me somewhat.

RedFish

Il Lombardia, the last of the 5 monuments of the season well underway. 65km to go and race for the taking. Vincenzo Nibali took the win last year and 2015.