Pro Cycling 2018

RedFish

Ok, I've stopped being angry about Team Sky being a dick and can't ignore the racing anymore.

Lots of races coming up. Discuss here please!

Ainu

Flemmish opening weekend of Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne is just 8 days away. This is where those riders who're aiming for the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix start their season in earnest. This is by far my favourite period on the calendar. It'll also be the first season of Spring classics without Tom Boonen since I started watching cycling, it's going to feel a bit weird. Not sure if I'll ever see a domination like his and Cancellara's again in my lifetime.

RedFish

Flemmish opening weekend of Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne is just 8 days away. This is where those riders who're aiming for the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix start their season in earnest. This is by far my favourite period on the calendar. It'll also be the first season of Spring classics without Tom Boonen since I started watching cycling, it's going to feel a bit weird. Not sure if I'll ever see a domination like his and Cancellara's again in my lifetime.
Sad Boonen has retired,not does seem strange that he won't be there on the start line.

Had a cursory look at the Omloop start list and didn't see Sagan there so surely that makes Van Avermaet the stand out favourite.

RedFish

The only rider in the front group of around 10 riders who could muster a final attack.

Nice 2nd place of SKY rider Łukasz Wiśniowski.

Last edited:

Ainu

The only rider in the front group of around 10 riders who could muster a final attack.

Nice 2nd place of SKY rider Łukasz Wiśniowski.
It was a weird finale. The other riders just kept looking at eachother until it was too late. Of course, Astana had 3 riders in that group so they made their advantage count. Great win for Valgren Andersen but all in all a disappointing and dull race.

RedFish

2nd part of the Belgian Classics double header weekend, live coverage on Eurosport. 2 from 1330.

Kurne-Brussels-Kurne

Last edited:

Red Stone

It was a weird finale. The other riders just kept looking at eachother until it was too late. Of course, Astana had 3 riders in that group so they made their advantage count. Great win for Valgren Andersen but all in all a disappointing and dull race.
Par for the course in the hard one day races. A rider doesn't want to spend all his energy chasing down an attack just so he can get roasted in the sprint by the guy who didn't pull.

Agree it was a boring Omloop, though. Van Avermaet was hugely disappointing. Didn't even finish top 10 in the end. Hope the other cobbled classics are more animated. I yearn for another 2016 Paris Roubaix. What an epic that was.

RedFish

What a ride by Belgian Tiesj Benoot, who will surely take the win. Bardet and Van Aert will deservedly take the minor spoils. 4.5km to go.

King_Eric

Great stuff by Benoot indeed. But what Van Aert did, as a cyclocross rider...

He should definately switch to the road after his performances in the Omloop and Strade Bianchi. Imagine what he could do if he actually trains for these longer distances. He was completely empty though yesterday :lol:

Fener1907

Been ages since I last watched cycling but I used to love the spring classics and the Giro early on in the season. By far my favourite point of the year. Any idea who the favourites are for the Giro this year? I'm not even familiar with some of the names. I do know that they'll be going up Monte Zoncolan. Love seeing them go backwards on that one.

RedFish

Been ages since I last watched cycling but I used to love the spring classics and the Giro early on in the season. By far my favourite point of the year. Any idea who the favourites are for the Giro this year? I'm not even familiar with some of the names. I do know that they'll be going up Monte Zoncolan. Love seeing them go backwards on that one.
I love the Giro. It's spectacularly beautiful and there is something inherently romantic about the race. I also love it's unpredictability, it's harsh weather and snow laden mountain tops. Although, some have criticised this years parcours as being a Vuelta on steroids

If Froome makes it to the Giro, which is the intention, then he along with last year's winner Dumoulin will feature strongly, along with the usual suspects, Aru, Pinot, Esteban Chaves, Pozzovivo, Sinon Yates, Sergio Henao I'd expect to all be in and around the top 10 in GC.

Don't have the full start list yet, i wonder if Fulgsang, or Rafal Majka may race it, both top contenders for a high GC finish if they race.

Problem is the Tour, and no way will most teams bring their absolute A team. It's generally a hard race to control and I think that lends to an exciting race.

http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MjgzNzE=

RedFish

Great stuff by Benoot indeed. But what Van Aert did, as a cyclocross rider...

He should definately switch to the road after his performances in the Omloop and Strade Bianchi. Imagine what he could do if he actually trains for these longer distances. He was completely empty though yesterday :lol:

I agree, it's very impressive!

I know the Strade Bianchi is a relatively new race, but damn it's a fine race and so unique and instantly recognisable. It should be made officially the sixth Monument!

Ainu

I agree, it's very impressive!

I know the Strade Bianchi is a relatively new race, but damn it's a fine race and so unique and instantly recognisable. It should be made officially the sixth Monument!
It's a prestigious race but it's got a long way to go to become a monument. All of the monuments are over 100 years old and over 240 km long. The Strade is barely 10 years old and around 180 km in length. The conditions usually make it tough enough and it's probably my faourite race to watch after Paris-Roubaix. It's unique as you say. It doesn't have to be a monument, it's fine as it is. With its current position on the calendar 180 km with so much elevation changes is probably more than enough.

It's one of those few races that are interesting to watch even 50+ km from the finish. Compare that to Milan San Remo, which is a snooze fest for 280+ km until the hit the Poggio.

Ainu

The first classics monument of the year tomorrow. Who do we think will win? Sagan would be the logical choice, this race is pretty much a perfect fit for him. The weather will be pretty bad, lots of rain and a bit of wind will make this an uncomfortable edition. Probably tough enough to get an interesting finale and avoid a group sprint. An in-form Sagan should thrive here.

Kwiatkowski looks super strong and he's beaten Sagan a couple of times before, including in this race last year of course. Gilbert is going for a win in all 5 monuments so he will be super motivated. He isn't good enough to finish ahead of Sagan in a sprint so he'll need to attack on the Poggio. In these conditions you never know. Then there's a bunch of strong sprinters who could survive the Poggio like Viviani, Démare, Trentin, Kristoff, Colbrelli and Greipel. Kittel is riding as well but I can't see him hold on.

And we can't rule out the likes of Van Avermaet and Alaphilippe. Matthews is returning from injury so his form is an unknown quantity but when fit he should do well here. So many contenders, let's hope some of them bring their attacking legs! With a bit of luck this might actually get interesting before the final 8 km.

RedFish

The first classics monument of the year tomorrow. Who do we think will win? Sagan would be the logical choice, this race is pretty much a perfect fit for him. The weather will be pretty bad, lots of rain and a bit of wind will make this an uncomfortable edition. Probably tough enough to get an interesting finale and avoid a group sprint. An in-form Sagan should thrive here.

Kwiatkowski looks super strong and he's beaten Sagan a couple of times before, including in this race last year of course. Gilbert is going for a win in all 5 monuments so he will be super motivated. He isn't good enough to finish ahead of Sagan in a sprint so he'll need to attack on the Poggio. In these conditions you never know. Then there's a bunch of strong sprinters who could survive the Poggio like Viviani, Démare, Trentin, Kristoff, Colbrelli and Greipel. Kittel is riding as well but I can't see him hold on.

And we can't rule out the likes of Van Avermaet and Alaphilippe. Matthews is returning from injury so his form is an unknown quantity but when fit he should do well here. So many contenders, let's hope some of them bring their attacking legs! With a bit of luck this might actually get interesting before the final 8 km.
Could be very interesting! Not sure who to go for, though it's hard to look past Sagan and Kwiatkowski. Sagan is perhaps a little undercooked? I doubt Van Avermaet will do anything, he doesn't look like the same rider as last year which is not surprising given how truly amazing his form was then. Out of the sprinters the likes of Degemkolb, Kristoff and Gaviria and Ewan all dangerous.

I'm hoping for a Kwiato special rather than a sprinter win. Going to have to watch the highlights as I'm out all afternoon!:(

Ainu

Could be very interesting! Not sure who to go for, though it's hard to look past Sagan and Kwiatkowski. Sagan is perhaps a little undercooked? I doubt Van Avermaet will do anything, he doesn't look like the same rider as last year which is not surprising given how truly amazing his form was then. Out of the sprinters the likes of Degemkolb, Kristoff and Gaviria and Ewan all dangerous.

I'm hoping for a Kwiato special rather than a sprinter win. Going to have to watch the highlights as I'm out all afternoon!:(
Gaviria and Degenkolb are out due to injury and illness respectively. Gaviria will miss all of the Spring classics unfortunately. You're right about Van Avermaet, he doesn't look his old self yet and this race isn't ideal for him anyway. But he's another who's beaten Sagan in a two man sprint in big races, so you can't rule him out.

I'm hoping for Sagan, I think he's due a victory here. He doesn't wait until the sprint either, he always tries to attack. Him, Kwiatkowski and Gilbert attacking together would be my dream scenario. In terms of race attitude and desire to attack, these three are the closest to Cancellara and Boonen in the current peloton. Gilbert is already close to those two in terms of big wins and Sagan and Kwiatkowski won't be far off either at the end of their careers.

superdry

touched by a genius
Pro cycling? Well I suppose they have to get to work one way or another.

I love cycling actually.

Ainu

Wow Nibali! I didn't even consider him. What an attack, what a tight finish! I was literally screaming at my tv to cheer him on. :lol: This is a phenomenal victory. His third monument victory on top of 4 grand tours. What a man!

Ainu

I have to say I'm disappointed in the pre-race favourites. At least the sprinters have a good reason for not attacking but from Sagan and Kwiat's point of view it doesn't make sense to go to the finish with the likes of Ewan, Démare and Kristoff. When you see Nibali attacking, if that's not a sign that you need to react I don't know what is. I'm happy they didn't though. I mean I would've been happy for Sagan to win in but Nibali winning it is even better, I just didn't see it happening.

When all is said and done, I'll remember Nibali as the greatest all round rider of his generation. Only Valverde comes close.

RedFish

I have to say I'm disappointed in the pre-race favourites. At least the sprinters have a good reason for not attacking but from Sagan and Kwiat's point of view it doesn't make sense to go to the finish with the likes of Ewan, Démare and Kristoff. When you see Nibali attacking, if that's not a sign that you need to react I don't know what is. I'm happy they didn't though. I mean I would've been happy for Sagan to win in but Nibali winning it is even better, I just didn't see it happening.

When all is said and done, I'll remember Nibali as the greatest all round rider of his generation. Only Valverde comes close.
100% agreed. Which was what I was getting at when I said he was better than Froome earlier in in the other cycling thread. He can sniff out a race like few others. Remarkable.

Red Stone

Nibali ascended to God status in the annals of cycling today. What an epic win, and what a mind-blowing career he's had.

Ainu

100% agreed. Which was what I was getting at when I said he was better than Froome earlier in in the other cycling thread. He can sniff out a race like few others. Remarkable.
And I think I answered by saying I think Froome is technically better but Nibali is a far greater allrounder and I'm a much bigger fan of him. So I still stand by that. :D I'd consider Nibali's career and palmares better, and another grand tour win for Froome wouldn't change that. He needs to try something out of his comfort zone in my opinion, which I doubt he'll ever do.

RedFish

Fantastic win for Niki Terpstra (QuickStep Floors) at the E3 Harelbeke yesterday with team mate Philippe Gilbert 2nd. Van Avermaet missing out again.

6th stage of the Volta a Catalunya today with Valverde leading the GC by 16 seconds from exciting prospect Colombian Egal Bernal (SKY) and Quintana @26s.

Kruijswijk @ 1'28
Van Garderen @ 1'30
Pinot @ 1'31
Barguil @ 2'37

Ainu

Last race to prepare for the holy week today with Dwars door Vlaanderen. Bad weather conditions so it'll be a tough race, a group sprint seems unlikely. I'm expecting the likes of Benoot and Van Aert to put in a strong performance again today. And then on to the Tour of Flanders on Sunday and my personal highlight of the calendar Paris-Roubaix the weekend after. I can't wait!