Pro Cycling 2018

Ainu

That was seriously impressive by Simon Yates. Let his team mate have the win but he looks the strongest climber at the moment. Froome still doesn't look close to his best form but he limits the damage. Perhaps he's saving for the final week.

vangagal

Granted, I'm still very much a casual fan, but that was a super stage. It was, right? At least the end...

Fantastic teammates there, Chaves and Yates.
Yates timing his attack perfectly. But still i think major GC contender holding themself a little bit. There's still plenty mountain stages to come

vangagal

That was seriously impressive by Simon Yates. Let his team mate have the win but he looks the strongest climber at the moment. Froome still doesn't look close to his best form but he limits the damage. Perhaps he's saving for the final week.
Yates and Dumoulin tried to drop Froome couple of times but failed. In the end, Yates choose to attack all the way. I think it safe to say there's still plenty to show in this Giro.

Ainu

Yates and Dumoulin tried to drop Froome couple of times but failed. In the end, Yates choose to attack all the way. I think it safe to say there's still plenty to show in this Giro.
We're still in the early stages so yeah, it's only just starting. The best riders will rise to the top eventually and a couple others that look good now will fall away spectacularly. It always happens.

Javi

Was the right move by Yates. The other guys will be working their asses of for him, can only help if you don't burn them. Well timed attack too, got himself 20 meters in just five seconds, really flying out of that group.

Javi

Who do you guys think is the nominally the best in time trials? If it was Froome makes sense for him to not risk a lot on the mountains in the early stages.

vangagal

Who do you guys think is the nominally the best in time trials? If it was Froome makes sense for him to not risk a lot on the mountains in the early stages.
Among GC's contenders? Straight battle between Dumoulin and Froome, if not for Froome's crash at 1st stage recon, we will see him and Dumoulin close to Yates. Yates and Chaves well known for their bad TT, so best for them to attack at all mountain stages. But fortunately only one TT left in this Giro.

We're still in the early stages so yeah, it's only just starting. The best riders will rise to the top eventually and a couple others that look good now will fall away spectacularly. It always happens.
Definitely. I can see Dumoulin was keen to attack also but held back at the last moment. He saw Froome back again so no point to attack. 3rd week will be cracking but Yates and Chaves have lift the fire first.

Ainu

Dumoulin, no question about it. Froome used to have the advantage that he had the best TT out of the GC contenders in the final week of a tough grand tour, but last year Dumoulin showed he has that ability as well. I can see him demolishing the opposition in stage 16.

Red Stone

What a ride by Michelton-Scott today. 1-2 finish with Yates and Chaves.
Important for them as well in terms of having two cards on their hands for the other mountain stages. Both showed themselves as potential winners today and will need to be marked.

vangagal

What a ride again by Yates. Drop Domoulin and kick Froome out of contention. He is well and truly ride like champ this Giro.

vangagal

Yates wins today, and Froome and Aru just dropped hard. Over a minute behind, so close to 2:20 overall back.
Importantly Domoulin also drop a little. He cant keep up with fast pace at mountain but he can keep with steady pace. Still have 2 weeks more but its gonna exciting this way.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Indeed, almost 40 seconds behind now.

GC after the 9th stage
1. Simon Yates (gbr)
2. Esteban Chaves (col) + 0.32
3. Tom Dumoulin (nld) + 0.38
4. Thibaut Pinot (fra) + 0.45
5. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 0.57
6. Richard Carapaz (ecu) + 1.20
7. George Bennett (nzl) + 1.33
8. Rohan Dennis (aus) + 2.05
9. Pello Bilbao (spa) s.t.
10. Michael Woods (can) + 2.25

Froome probably at around +2.30.

Red Stone

Zoncolan will be crucial for Dumoulin. Very interested to see how he does on a climb that steep against punchy climbers like Chaves and Yates.

Seeing Betancur in the top 20 is great, by the way. He looks to be slowly finding his way back to his best days. The move to Movistar has been really good for him. Hope he keeps improving.

vangagal

So, Chaves out of podium with massive 12mins odd lost. This only means bad thing for Mitchelton-Scott as they only have one card left in Yates. Not sure they have it on them to hold on untill last TT. Team Sky looks good with that early pace and Domoulin always ccan hold on onto it. Should be a cracking final week with that climb on final day on week 2.

Ainu

On the other hand it also simplifies matters for them, as Chaves now doesn't have a classification to worry about and can put all his energy in supporting Yates. He can pay Yates back for allowing him that stage victory earlier on. They just can't afford Yates to have a bad day.

RedFish

Yates has done well clearly, but there's a long way to go. All he's done is made sure he's right there. As Porte and Chavez and so many other riders have shown, all it takes is one bad day and game over. Chavez will be super important on Yates chances. For some reason, I just can't see him hanging on. Froome isn't out of it yet, and I'd expect him to ride himself into some form having come into the Giro relatively undercooked.

vangagal

On the other hand it also simplifies matters for them, as Chaves now doesn't have a classification to worry about and can put all his energy in supporting Yates. He can pay Yates back for allowing him that stage victory earlier on. They just can't afford Yates to have a bad day.
It makes matter worst for them i think. Instead of 2, they just have 1 card on play. If one of them attack, the rest must to choose whose to follow or mark but now, it easier with only Yates to mark and follow. Being supporting clearly huge boost for Yates but everyone have one also.

Yates has done well clearly, but there's a long way to go. All he's done is made sure he's right there. As Porte and Chavez and so many other riders have shown, all it takes is one bad day and game over. Chavez will be super important on Yates chances. For some reason, I just can't see him hanging on. Froome isn't out of it yet, and I'd expect him to ride himself into some form having come into the Giro relatively undercooked.
The way i see it, Yates will be on huge pressure and there is possible chance he is crack on 3rd week. Today we saw Mitchelton-Scott sent 3 domestiques to bring Chaves back but still failed. Theres still question mark on Chaves's condition and will other step up to be super domestique for Yates? This result will play huge part for the rest of Giro. Domoulin for some reason, still held back and Froome, we just cant read his gesture.

vangagal

Thats not even a proper big mountain stage but Yates managed to further the gap with Domoulin. Its Yates to lose now this Giro. He just need to add 0.20+ sec more to Domoulin and he can face TT with ease.

Patchbeard

It's all down to the TT
I'd say it's all down to the mountains, we all know Dumoulin will make serious time on the TT, so it's a question of whether Yates can gain enough time on the summit finishes. And avoid doing a Chaves along the way.

RedFish

It's all down to the TT
I'd say it's all down to the mountains, we all know Dumoulin will make serious time on the TT, so it's a question of whether Yates can gain enough time on the summit finishes. And avoid doing a Chaves along the way.
35 Km ITT on a flat parcours? Yates needs a lot more than the 47 seconds he's got at the moment. I'd reckon he needs 2 1/2 mins plus to be in with a chance (of retaining the lead post TT. Dumoulin arguably is the de facto leader because he will smash Yates on the TT. Far, far from over.

Last edited:

Ainu

Yeah Dumoulin is definitely capable of putting Yates on 2 minutes or more in that TT. It'll be tricky, Dumoulin is known for riding his own steady tempo even on the toughest climbs, which makes it difficult to see him lose several minutes in a single stage. Last year we saw him get dropped by attacks early on during a climb only for him to close the gap again because his attackers couldn't keep up that intensity throughout the entire ascent. Yates' best bet are mountain top finishes and timing his last attack well so Dumoulin doesn't have the time to close the gap again. There are still plenty of those to come (I think at least 4) though, so he's got every chance.

Javi

Today's stage looks decent (as it should for a sat.).

RedFish

Froome to win, haha. Come on Froome dog.
I'm post nights so wont be able to watch live but will watch the last 20km when I wake up. Gonna be good.

Javi

Froome looks weak.

Edit: As I was writing this he gets to the head of the GC group. False alarm then.

Javi

Froome goes on to win. Great stage, Yates almost catching him in the end.

vangagal

What a ride by Froome. It just irritated to see him reluctant to dancing out of sadle when he can do that more. Not looking good for Yates, no domestique left, and Domoulin just keep his ride stable. For me, Domoulin is the winner today.