Pro Cycling 2018

RedFish

Last race to prepare for the holy week today with Dwars door Vlaanderen. Bad weather conditions so it'll be a tough race, a group sprint seems unlikely. I'm expecting the likes of Benoot and Van Aert to put in a strong performance again today. And then on to the Tour of Flanders on Sunday and my personal highlight of the calendar Paris-Roubaix the weekend after. I can't wait!
Looking forward to the race tomorrow. I'm going for Sagan who looks to have timed his form well with an impressive win last week at Ghent-Wevelgem.

Ainu

Couldn't name a favourite. If it's a solo finish Terpstra looks the most likely, if it's a sprint finish Sagan of course. But there are so many with a chance. Benoot, Van Avermaet, Vanmarcke, Gilbert, Kwiatkowski, Stybar, Naesen, perhaps even Lampaert and Van Aert, they can all win it. And who knows, maybe Nibali can surprise us again, although I think he's too light to stay with the big guns on the cobble stones. Looks like it will be a tough race. Annoying weather conditions and the peloton aren't really allowing an early breakaway.

Red Stone

Getting interesting now. Very interested in seeing how well van Aert does here. He looks nailed on to be the next big thing in the cobbled classics.

Sagan looks like he's playing with his prey, though. They'll need to get rid of him at Kwaremont or Paterberg or he'll walk this.

Ainu

I thought it was another very disappointing race. Once again, the non-Quickstep favourites were content to let Terpstra ride off on his own. How many more lessons do they need? Sagan, Van Avermaet, Benoot, etc, just make sure you're on his damned wheel! He's by far the strongest at the moment but that's no reason to accept defeat 26 km from the finish. It's all been extremely cowardly stuff so far this year.

F-Red

Agreed, there seems to be some assumption in the favourites that the breakaway will always be caught. Fair play to Terpstra, he managed to keep the pace for the balance of the race.

RedFish

I thought it was another very disappointing race. Once again, the non-Quickstep favourites were content to let Terpstra ride off on his own. How many more lessons do they need? Sagan, Van Avermaet, Benoot, etc, just make sure you're on his damned wheel! He's by far the strongest at the moment but that's no reason to accept defeat 26 km from the finish. It's all been extremely cowardly stuff so far this year.
Agreed, there seems to be some assumption in the favourites that the breakaway will always be caught. Fair play to Terpstra, he managed to keep the pace for the balance of the race.

Ainu

Sagan can complain as much as he wants, fact is he hasn't tried anything himself in any of the classics. He wins Gent-Wevelgem in a sprint with a substantial group, that's about it. Has he put in even a single attack when a race was still in the balance, rather than when it was already too little, too late? Surely he can't expect the other favourites to take him to the finish so he can outsprint them. I know that other riders likes Kwiatkowski and Van Avermaet have often profitted from his willingness to race in the past, but that doesn't mean they have to be stupid enough to return the favour now. Altough I have to say it reflects very poorly on Van Avermaet. Other riders have stopped doing the dirty work for him so his victories have dried up.

In short: with both Cancellara and Boonen retired and Sagan's newfound reluctance to race, it's been a poor classics season in my opinion. Quickstep has everyone else in a strangle hold. I can only see a winner from their camp next Sunday.

Red Stone

Is this finally it for Sagan?

Also, I fecking love Paris-Roubaix. Hands down the greatest race on the calendar.

Ainu

Brilliant from Sagan but how about Dillier? He was in the breakaway from the beginning and kept up with Sagan until the finish. I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the cowardly display of my fellow countrymen. Only Van Aert can keep his head up but his chain fell off at the worst possible moment. Vanmarcke and Van Avermaet in particular were pathetic, I'm glad Terpstra left them to claim the third podium spot in the end. They deserve nothing, they've been pathetic in all classics.

Red Stone

Dillier... what a hero. Rode the race like a man. I'm not so sure him and Sagan would have held off without his pulls, and he will be remembered for that effort for a long time even if he didn't win in the end. Even if he had sucked Sagan's wheel all the way in and they'd held off the chasers I think he would have been crushed in the sprint, so he raced in a way that allows him leave the velodrome with his head held high and a well-deserved Roubaix podium. The odds of him doing that today must've been huge.

RedFish

Hard fought stage in stage 2 of the Tour of the Alps with Lopez (Astana) taking the stage ahead of a small group containing Pozzovivo, Froome and Sosa (Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec). The build up to the Giro, starting May 4th continues in ernest.

Meanwhile, La Fleche Wallonne is tomorrow, with Valverde aiming for a remarkable 5th win in as many years.

Red Stone

Fleche Wallonne is honestly the most boring race on the calendar. The finish up Mur de Huy is more of a curse than a blessing. It'll be yet another race where the peloton comes into the climb, some young guy with more balls than sense will launch an attack halfway up and blow up before the finish because he didn't realize that winning Fleche Wallonne is basically all about being the guy that can put out most W/kg over a three minute period. That guy is always Valverde, and since Ballsy Young Guy isn't Valverde he has no hope of winning.

Ainu

Fleche Wallonne is honestly the most boring race on the calendar. The finish up Mur de Huy is more of a curse than a blessing. It'll be yet another race where the peloton comes into the climb, some young guy with more balls than sense will launch an attack halfway up and blow up before the finish because he didn't realize that winning Fleche Wallonne is basically all about being the guy that can put out most W/kg over a three minute period. That guy is always Valverde, and since Ballsy Young Guy isn't Valverde he has no hope of winning.
The only one who can beat Valverde here is probably Alaphilippe, if he's in top form. Will he? I doubt it.

Perhaps Dylan Teuns as well, but that's even more of a long shot.

Edit: I shouldn't have doubted him, Alaphilippe finally pulls it off! It was only a matter of time before he'd win this, and his time is now. This obviously makes him top favourite for LBL as well.

Last edited:

RedFish

Glad Poels got another race under his belt following his crash at Paris-Nice. Great rider Valverde, but happy Alaphillipe got the win ahead of him.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Giro! Giro! Gi-ro!

GIRO 2018 STAGE 1: START TIMES ITT IN JERUSALEM

Fabio Sabatini is the first rider to leave the ramp at 13:50, while title defender Tom Dumoulin is the last one, at 16:45.

Most important start times (local time)
14:31 Rohan Dennis (aus)
14:51 Vasil Kiryienka (blr)
15:13 Sergio Henao (col)
15:57 David de la Cruz (spa)
15:50 Ryan Mullen (irl)
16:05 Thibaut Pinot (fra)
16:07 Tim Wellens (bel)
16:11 George Bennett (nzl)
16:15 Simon Yates (gbr)
16:19 Wout Poels (nld)
16:22 Alex Dowsett (gbr)
16:23 Sam Oomen (nld)
16:24 Maximilian Schachmann (ger)
16:25 Domenico Pozzovivo (ita)
16:28 Michael Woods (can)
16:29 Victor Campenaerts (bel)
16:30 Louis Meintjes (rsa)
16:32 Fabio Aru (ita)
16:33 Jos van Emden (nld)
16:37 Esteban Chaves (col)
16:39 Miguel Ángel López (col)
16:40 Davide Formolo (ita)
16:41 Chris Froome (gbr)
16:44 Tony Martin (ger)
16:45 Tom Dumoulin (nld

That's 11:50 BST start I believe. 14:45 Dumoulin.

RedFish

Giro! Giro! Gi-ro!

GIRO 2018 STAGE 1: START TIMES ITT IN JERUSALEM

Fabio Sabatini is the first rider to leave the ramp at 13:50, while title defender Tom Dumoulin is the last one, at 16:45.

Most important start times (local time)
14:31 Rohan Dennis (aus)
14:51 Vasil Kiryienka (blr)
15:13 Sergio Henao (col)
15:57 David de la Cruz (spa)
15:50 Ryan Mullen (irl)
16:05 Thibaut Pinot (fra)
16:07 Tim Wellens (bel)
16:11 George Bennett (nzl)
16:15 Simon Yates (gbr)
16:19 Wout Poels (nld)
16:22 Alex Dowsett (gbr)
16:23 Sam Oomen (nld)
16:24 Maximilian Schachmann (ger)
16:25 Domenico Pozzovivo (ita)
16:28 Michael Woods (can)
16:29 Victor Campenaerts (bel)
16:30 Louis Meintjes (rsa)
16:32 Fabio Aru (ita)
16:33 Jos van Emden (nld)
16:37 Esteban Chaves (col)
16:39 Miguel Ángel López (col)
16:40 Davide Formolo (ita)
16:41 Chris Froome (gbr)
16:44 Tony Martin (ger)
16:45 Tom Dumoulin (nld

That's 11:50 BST start I believe. 14:45 Dumoulin.

Still ABS I'm assuming ? :D

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Heh, dunno. Probably. :D

Thought Froome would be tar and feathered by now, telling his story on Oprah, but the lad is here, racing. Whatever happened with that?

Amir

Heh, dunno. Probably. :D

Thought Froome would be tar and feathered by now, telling his story on Oprah, but the lad is here, racing. Whatever happened with that?
Proceedings still going on. Quite possible what we're seeing will be erased from history if he's suspended retroactively.

Ainu

Dumoulin does what's expected of him and wins the opening ITT. The win is a bonus but of far greater importance is the damage to his fellow GC contenders, with Froome already 37 seconds behind. Hard to say if Froome isn't in top form or he was still feeling the after effects of a fall earlier in the day. Long Giro ahead, let's see what happens.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Proceedings still going on. Quite possible what we're seeing will be erased from history if he's suspended retroactively.
Thank you!

RESULTS OF FIRST DAY:

Standings at the finish (9.7 km)
1. Tom Dumoulin (nld) 12.02
2. Rohan Dennis (aus) + 0.02
3. Victor Campenaerts (bel) s.t.
4. José Goncalves (por) + 0.12
5. Alex Dowsett (gbr) + 0.16
6. Pello Bilbao (spa) + 0.18
7. Simon Yates (gbr) + 0.20
8. Maximilian Schachmann (ger) + 0.21
9. Tony Martin (ger) + 0.27
10. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) s.t.

. Tim Wellens (bel) + 0.32
. Thibaut Pinot (fra) + 0.33
. Davide Formolo (ita) + 0.36
. Chris Froome (gbr) + 0.37
. Sergio Henao (col) + 0.45
. Esteban Chaves (col) + 0.46
. George Bennet (nzl) + 0.48
. Fabio Aru (ita) + 0.50
. Michael Woods (can) + 1.02

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
GIRO 2018 ROUTE STAGE 2: HAIFA (ISR) - TEL AVIV (ISR)

Saturday, 5 May 2018 - At 167 kilometres, the 2nd stage of the Giro d'Italia runs from Haifa to Tel Aviv. It's a safe bet to expect a bunch sprint on the Mediterranean coast.

Not only is Tel Aviv Israel’s financial centre and technology hub, the city on the Mediterranean coast is also the country’s sports capital. Three football clubs are active in the Israeli Premier League, with Maccabi Tel Aviv and Hapoel Tel Aviv the most prominent. Furthermore, Maccabi Tel Aviv B.C. is a powerhouse in European basketball, holding fifty Israeli titles and winning the European Championships six times.

That said, never before did a Grand Tour visit Tel Aviv. Saturday, the 5th of May 2018 will be the day.

Stage 2 starts from the northern port of Haifa, just as the arrival place located on Israel’s Mediterranean coastline. The route is predominantly flat and so it wouldn’t be a big surprise if the race came down to a bunch sprint.

In the most recent edition of the Giro d’Italia Fernando Gaviria took the credits for most sprint wins, namely four.

The first three riders on the line take time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds, while the last of two intermediate sprints (at kilometre 22.3 and at kilometre 105.3) come with 3, 2 and 1 seconds.

The 2nd stage of the 2018 Giro d’Italia starts at 14:10 and the finish is expected around 18:00 – both local times scheduled times).

GIRO 2018 FAVOURITES STAGE 2: FAST FINISHERS SHOWDOWN IN TEL AVIV

The Giro d'Italia's 2nd stage should be for the fast finishers. The pan-flat course runs from Haifa to Tel Aviv. Is Elia Viviani going to extend QuickStep's winning streak?

The 2nd stage of the 2018 Giro peaks at 167 metres. Which is really a KOM-joke and, moreover, it is halfway along the route. So virtually nothing stands in the way of a bunch sprint.

In last year’s Giro Fernando Gaviria was by far the fastest finisher. The Colombian pocketed four stage wins. He is absent in 2018.

Elia Viviani is the only stellar sprinter on the start list. His move from Sky to QuickStep worked out well for the Italian. He already won five stages – two in the Dubai Tour, one in Abu Dhabi, one in the Tour Down Under, and Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne – and the Dubai Tour’s GC.

Favourites 2nd stage 2018 Giro d’Italia
*** Elia Viviani, Niccolo Bonifazio, Sam Bennett
** Danny van Poppel, Jens Debusschere, Sacha Modolo, Jakub Mareczko

from cyclingstage.com

RedFish

Insanely tricky finish today with round abouts, U turns, and a tight bends in the final 2-3 km. Hoping for crosswinds in the desert, which could provide some breakaway action.

Viviani is the obvious favourite, but would like Mareczko to take it, after taking an excellent second yesterday.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Oh, piss off, peloton. You suck.

Like a freakin' Terminator, they are always back.

Nice stage, mafia land is pretty.

Javi

Today's giro stage should be good. Etna mountain top finish.

Ainu

Froome hasn't looked great so far in this Giro so it'll be interesting to see how he fares on the Etna. Day 6 is probably still a bit early for any of the GC contenders to make a big move, but still an interesting final climb.

Red Stone

I don't think we'll see any of the main favourites try to gain time today. There are plenty of MTFs left still and with eight man teams it's a tough job to defend the Maglia Rosa for the remainder of the Giro. Today isn't about gaining time, but to not lose any.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Granted, I'm still very much a casual fan, but that was a super stage. It was, right? At least the end...

Fantastic teammates there, Chaves and Yates.