Pro Cycling 2020 **Giro d'Italia 2020 **

Ainu

Ineos is not stronger than Jumbo, not a chance. I do think that Bernal is the better climber out of him and Roglic, and the third week will indeed be crucial.

Have a sneaky feeling that Dumoulin will grow stronger during the race and will be Bernal's main challenger instead of Roglic. Such a pity that the ASO are such pussies and crying out for an Alaphilippe or Pinot victory that they once again decided against a true time trial.
Jumbo do look stronger at the moment, but the likes of Gesink and Bennett has shown signs of weakness. Kuss is a weird one as well. Brilliant and one of the strongest climbers one day but he can just as easily have a complete off day 24 hours later. That said, none of Ineos' domestiques have look in great shape so far.

Personally I'm also hoping for a Dumoulin victory. Nothing against Roglic I just don't really care about him. A Dutch rider winning it for a Dutch team would be much nicer, plus Dumoulin had some serious setbacks in recent years and I always love a good comeback. I just want the low countries to dominate everything with riders like Van Aert, Evenepoel, van der Poel and Dumoulin. Or is that too much to ask? :D

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Jumbo do look stronger at the moment, but the likes of Gesink and Bennett has shown signs of weakness. Kuss is a weird one as well. Brilliant and one of the strongest climbers one day but he can just as easily have a complete off day 24 hours later. That said, none of Ineos' domestiques have look in great shape so far.

Personally I'm also hoping for a Dumoulin victory. Nothing against Roglic I just don't really care about him. A Dutch rider winning it for a Dutch team would be much nicer, plus Dumoulin had some serious setbacks in recent years and I always love a good comeback. I just want the low countries to dominate everything with riders like Van Aert, Evenepoel, van der Poel and Dumoulin. Or is that too much to ask? :D
Not if it's up to Van Aert :devil:

Seriously, if he wins Roubaix or the Ronde he'll have had a year that comes close or maybe even equals Boonen's 2005 or 2012 imo.

Ainu

Not if it's up to Van Aert :devil:

Seriously, if he wins Roubaix or the Ronde he'll have had a year that comes close or maybe even equals Boonen's 2005 or 2012 imo.
It would be up there. Not quite 2005, as Flanders, P-R and the world championship is pretty insane. I'd class that as 3 monument-type victories, so Van Aert would need to win both Flanders and P-R (or the WC, but will he go?). But I already rate this year on par with Gilbert's 2011, and he's not done yet. My biggest worry is he'll be too exhausted to compete with vdP on the cobblestones.

RedFish

Genuine question, is Bradley Wiggins a bit of a knob? How is viewed/perceived in Europe/the UK?
He's an absolute legend. What he did for British cycling cannot be underestimated. Literally led the way for the younger generation both men and women. They all looked up to him and still do.

Yes, he's not all faux nicey, nicey and will tell you what he thinks, which makes him a bit of a livewire. He also has an aloof side to him.

I think, here in the UK at least, his reputation is largely intact if not enhanced by the general lack of personality in the peleton.

RedFish

Approaching the last 35 km, and the climbs culminating in the summit finish of Mount Aigoual. Another chance to see the Ineos and Visma trains in action.

Ainu

Another mindnumbingly boring stage. In terms of excitement, this has been one of the most pathetic grand tours I've ever seen so far. Might as well not bother if this is what the riders want to show on the biggest stage.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Another mindnumbingly boring stage. In terms of excitement, this has been one of the most pathetic grand tours I've ever seen so far. Might as well not bother if this is what the riders want to show on the biggest stage.
Of course I agree but I didn't expect anything else with how the stage was drawn up. A little descent and then an "uphill" finish where you can easily go 30-40km/h - who's gonna risk his good GC and go in the last few kilometres of the Lusette, to potentially gain a few seconds but most likely be taken back by the peloton on that last part?

Just put the finish on top of the Lusette in this one and you have a whole different outcome imo, they would've attacked in that case. Saturday on the Peyresourde we'll see some action, and then it's off again until Friday on the Puy Mary imo. Not enough exciting finishes where it's worth it to go early for the big guys.

Ainu

Of course I agree but I didn't expect anything else with how the stage was drawn up. A little descent and then an "uphill" finish where you can easily go 30-40km/h - who's gonna risk his good GC and go in the last few kilometres of the Lusette, to potentially gain a few seconds but most likely be taken back by the peloton on that last part?

Just put the finish on top of the Lusette in this one and you have a whole different outcome imo, they would've attacked in that case. Saturday on the Peyresourde we'll see some action, and then it's off again until Friday on the Puy Mary imo. Not enough exciting finishes where it's worth it to go early for the big guys.
I don't know, with how things are going now, I feel like the riders will always find a reason not to attack. Early on everyone is scared to lose time, in the middle they're all waiting for the third week to make a move and in the third week they're all scared of losing their 6th spot or whatever pointless position they end up in. This is supposed to be the biggest race in cycling, these are supposed to be the best and most competitive athletes in the sport.

It's nothing new of course and year after year I'm finding myself increasingly frustrated and disappointed with the Tour de France. Why do I still expect something from this utter borefest, I don't know.

F-Red

I don't know, with how things are going now, I feel like the riders will always find a reason not to attack. Early on everyone is scared to lose time, in the middle they're all waiting for the third week to make a move and in the third week they're all scared of losing their 6th spot or whatever pointless position they end up in. This is supposed to be the biggest race in cycling, these are supposed to be the best and most competitive athletes in the sport.

It's nothing new of course and year after year I'm finding myself increasingly frustrated and disappointed with the Tour de France. Why do I still expect something from this utter borefest, I don't know.
The preparation for this year has been unlike any other, so the expectation levels from this Tour shouldn't be the same. Usually by this time we've had a good number of months racing under their belts with at least one tour.

Ainu

The preparation for this year has been unlike any other, so the expectation levels from this Tour shouldn't be the same. Usually by this time we've had a good number of months racing under their belts with at least one tour.
True it's been different, but they still had Tour de l'Ain and Dauphiné to prepare. I'd need to look at the typical schedule of a GC contender, but I doubt they do more competitive cycling in the month leading up to the Tour in other years. And with the extended break from cycling and the relief that the Tour could go ahead after all, if anything they should have extra motivation to show themselves.

F-Red

True it's been different, but they still had Tour de l'Ain and Dauphiné to prepare. I'd need to look at the typical schedule of a GC contender, but I doubt they do more competitive cycling in the month leading up to the Tour in other years. And with the extended break from cycling and the relief that the Tour could go ahead after all, if anything they should have extra motivation to show themselves.
That is nothing near the preparation levels required for a grand tour.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That is nothing near the preparation levels required for a grand tour.
That's just not true. It's more than enough to appear at the start at 100%.

A normal schedule includes some small tours like the Ruta del Sol, Algarve or Catalunya, then Romandie at the end of April, and then it's straight to the Dauphine in most cases. A rider doesn't need more than one small tour like the Dauphine to get into race rythm and be ready for the Tour, if anything it should allow them to grow into this Tour instead of getting more fatigued towards the end. People like Armstrong were notoriously famous for barely doing any racing apart from the Tour.

Riders like Bernal have had all the time in the world in Colombia to do proper altitude trainings once they were allowed to cycle again. They have no excuses here other than having been lazy during the Covid lockdown.

F-Red

That's just not true. It's more than enough to appear at the start at 100%.

A normal schedule includes some small tours like the Ruta del Sol, Algarve or Catalunya, then Romandie at the end of April, and then it's straight to the Dauphine in most cases. A rider doesn't need more than one small tour like the Dauphine to get into race rythm and be ready for the Tour, if anything it should allow them to grow into this Tour instead of getting more fatigued towards the end. People like Armstrong were notoriously famous for barely doing any racing apart from the Tour.
For a normal calendar though, you would have a complete classics calendar, the Giro and all the build up to the TdF, over an extensive period of 3-4 months to the tour. All i'm saying is that to expect some explosive TdF because they've done nothing all year is a bit of a high expectation, when a lot of the race conditioning comes months before.

Riders like Bernal have had all the time in the world in Colombia to do proper altitude trainings once they were allowed to cycle again. They have no excuses here other than having been lazy during the Covid lockdown.
Aside from his back injury of course, but Ineos' tactics this year is always going to be a smash and grab effort in the last few days.

Amir

Aside from his back injury of course, but Ineos' tactics this year is always going to be a smash and grab effort in the last few days.
They'll need to grab quite a bit, though, since the Jumbo guys would have an edge over Bernal in the time trial.

Ainu

For a normal calendar though, you would have a complete classics calendar, the Giro and all the build up to the TdF, over an extensive period of 3-4 months to the tour. All i'm saying is that to expect some explosive TdF because they've done nothing all year is a bit of a high expectation, when a lot of the race conditioning comes months before.

The GC contenders generally don't ride the classics or the Giro. Some have attempted the double Giro - Tour, but we've seen over the years how that doesn't really seem viable anymore in modern times. I think most of them do most of their preparation in extensive training camps in the mountains and then need only a few competitive races like the Dauphiné. Although not every rider is the same of course, some really want some extra competitive racing as preparation.

I don't actually think the riders aren't good or prepared enough though. Roglic looks bang in form for example. The sub top just seems really scared to do anything for some reason.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Strong crosswinds rumoured today. Hopefully we see the strong GC teams trying to wreak havoc.

RedFish

GC riders nowadays do such a tailored program now, that their whole year and that of their likely teammate's racing schedule is planned around the start date of the tour in question.

Peaking at the right time is crucial as to not do a Richie Porte or even worse a TJ Van Garderen and 'crash' spectacularly at some time in the 3rd week.

The riders are more than capable of taking it on but unfortunately they're riding conservatively/defensively as opposed to taking it by the scruff of the neck. Power meters and radios are partly to blame, but the lack of riders with instinctive riding skill is not to be underestimated. See Contador and Nibali in particular and compare and proceed to weep.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
The GC contenders generally don't ride the classics or the Giro. Some have attempted the double Giro - Tour, but we've seen over the years how that doesn't really seem viable anymore in modern times. I think most of them do most of their preparation in extensive training camps in the mountains and then need only a few competitive races like the Dauphiné. Although not every rider is the same of course, some really want some extra competitive racing as preparation.

I don't actually think the riders aren't good or prepared enough though. Roglic looks bang in form for example. The sub top just seems really scared to do anything for some reason.
Yeah agree, if ~20-50 riders arrive together at mountain top finishes like yesterday (okay not exactly mountain top) or on stage 4 it`s not down to the pace being so high that it`s impossible to attack. If that would be the case there wouldnt be so many guys hanging on. There`s simply a lack of attack happy guys right now, they all want to grind it out. Someone like Pantani or even Vinokourov would`ve been going for it on these final climbs.

But even disregarding the lack of attacks on these smaller climbs, there`s also a total lack of proper breakaways. Is the peleton worried that the tour might be shortened due to covid reasons so they`re hesitant to let groups get away with 10+ minutes?
Very very dull so far.

Ainu

GC riders nowadays do such a tailored program now, that their whole year and that of their likely teammate's racing schedule is planned around the start date of the tour in question.

Peaking at the right time is crucial as to not do a Richie Porte or even worse a TJ Van Garderen and 'crash' spectacularly at some time in the 3rd week.

The riders are more than capable of taking it on but unfortunately they're riding conservatively/defensively as opposed to taking it by the scruff of the neck. Power meters and radios are partly to blame, but the lack of riders with instinctive riding skill is not to be underestimated. See Contador and Nibali in particular and compare and proceed to weep.
Exactly, that's why Nibali is by far my favourite currently active grand tour contender and I'm looking forward more to the Giro. He's not one of those steady tempo robots that seem to dominate grand tours nowadays. Just a pure, instinctive attacker. That's also how he got his Milan Sanremo and Lombardia wins.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Exactly, that's why Nibali is by far my favourite currently active grand tour contender and I'm looking forward more to the Giro. He's not one of those steady tempo robots that seem to dominate grand tours nowadays. Just a pure, instinctive attacker. That's also how he got his Milan Sanremo and Lombardia wins.
The Giro would've been soooo excellent with Evenepoel in the mix :( Still gutted about that, he'd have had a real chance too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You have a great race with a team taking its responsibilities and some of you are too focused complaining about yesterday. :nono:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You have a great race with a team taking its responsibilities and some of you are too focused complaining about yesterday. :nono:
Yep it's been excellent so far, great coup by Bora.

Hopefully Van Aert is allowed to go for the victory today, this should benefit him too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Absolutely not. :drool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This stage is why I prefer Classics, the script of that stage is typical of a Flanders race.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
This is getting ridiculous.

With eaaaaase.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Quite a few covidiots up the mountains. I'd be shocked if we don't have numerous positive tests on the rest day.