Progressive Restrictions Draft

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
BREAKING NEWS!

Unfortunately all R2 picks are down with Monkeypox and can't play for next 4-6 weeks (this draft).

Since they are still in your squad, the restrictions remain.
Could you please confirm that this was not meant as a joke mate? Want to leave my next pick so need to know if Dzajic is out.

Enigma_87

You know who
BREAKING NEWS!

Unfortunately all R2 picks are down with Monkeypox and can't play for next 4-6 weeks (this draft).

It has been pretty good and challenging concept don’t ruin it with a crap like that.

or at least state it in the rules before signing up.

Not to mention it gives advantage to some managers that chose a player with less restricting clubs compared to others.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
It has been pretty good and challenging concept don’t ruin it with a crap like that.

or at least state it in the rules before signing up.

Not to mention it gives advantage to some managers that chose a player with less restricting clubs compared to others.
Aye, I don't think shenanigans like this add anything to a draft that's supposed to be about good strategy. And I say that as someone who only stands to lose Torpedo Moscow and Russia compared to the likes of Milan, Barca and Brazil for others :lol: .

Anyways, please confirm one way or the other @Edgar Allan Pillow as this affects my next pick.

Enigma_87

You know who
Come on, you have to expect shenanigans in my draft.

And ForWIW , this will be the only surprise. And it's early to not make easily adjust to.

Rule stands.
They are always stated in the beginning. Not when you build you team around three players and you pretty much lose all other options when a shenanigans like that occur.

As @Pat_Mustard said, some lose like Torpedo, others like me Milan, Ajax on top of Netherlands in a very restricted draft down the road which essentially takes away much of my options.

You have very little to adjust when you blow your load early like me which was part of my strategy compared to others that had the opposite strategy. It’s naturally part of a draft like this. You either go big or go strategic with your first picks.

I’d rather just finish my team with Rijkaard in it and just give walkover in the first round to whoever I draw..

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
:lol: well done, you know you did it right when you see a river of tears afterwards

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
BREAKING NEWS!

Any comments on Edgar new rule?

I want to see other comments from other members of this great community. For me, I’m okay with anything.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
harmsL. MessiK-H. RummeniggeJ. Masopust
EnigmaF. BeckenbauerF. RijkaardC. Ronaldo
SjorZicoO. BlokhinJ. Zanetti
General EleganciaA. Di StefanoR. FerdinandM. Van Basten
GSTQE. FigueroaD. DzajicD. Law
Lord SinisterB. MooreA. IniestaG. Facchetti
PatG. BestV. VoroninK. De BruyneM.Sammer
MichaelfRonaldoR. KrolZ. BoniekJ. Tigana
Himannv/Red BearJ. CruyffJ. KohlerD. PassarellaCafu
GioEusebioR. KeaneP. R. FalcãoH. Vogts
SirScholesL. MatthausGarrinchaH. StoichkovR. Gullit
P-NutP. MaldiniXaviP. NedvedN. Hidegkuti
MalucoF. BaresiF. PuskasRomarioB. Robson
Big DunkG. MüllerG. ScireaM. DesaillyC. Alberto
ChesterR. CharltonH. ChumpitazJ. BozsikL. Yashin
PhysiocratM. PlatiniA. NestaV. van DijkU. Seeler

GodShaveTheQueen

While like Pat, I lose hardly anything with Dzajic gone, I really do not like the surprise. It's okay to pull something like this in a usual snake draft I suppose, but for an excellently conceptualized draft like this one, where strategy of the first few picks sets the tone for future picks, it ruins the fun as Enigma suggested.

And ForWIW , this will be the only surprise. And it's early to not make easily adjust to.
Except, if you pulled this with a R8 pick, that would have been actually chuckle worthy and adjustable.

I would recommend the same as others and prefer a rollback of the rule.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But seriously - shenanigans are fine in general. In this draft, though, the very idea is to to see what kind of team we can build with a very specific (and possibly very challenging) restriction in place.

Like @Enigma_87 said, people will go down two opposite routes here: go big (with big sacrifices) to begin with - or go tactical (with lesser sacrifices) to begin with *. Introducing shenanigans into this concept doesn't work.

Well, I suppose it works in the sense that you get meltdowns - but, really, c'mon.

Bottom line (for me): the concept itself is very interesting - there's no need to spice it up with meltdowns.

* Which means, essentially, that by introducing shenanigans you punish those who went for the former method: it's not a random thing which strikes blindly across the board, it's a clear disadvantage for one group of managers - and that really is too much in a draft like this.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That curve balls can exist should be clear from the beginning. Further given how restricted this draft is, the rule goes against the spirit of careful drafting. You should recognise that monkey pox is relatively mild and not very contagious and that the players are actually fine.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
General EleganciaA. Di StefanoR. FerdinandM. Van Basten
GSTQE. FigueroaD. DzajicD. Law
Lord SinisterB. MooreA. IniestaG. FacchettiP. Lahm

@Pat_Mustard

Enigma_87

You know who
But seriously - shenanigans are fine in general. In this draft, though, the very idea is to to see what kind of team we can build with a very specific (and possibly very challenging) restriction in place.

Like @Enigma_87 said, people will go down two opposite routes here: go big (with big sacrifices) to begin with - or go tactical (with lesser sacrifices) to begin with *. Introducing shenanigans into this concept doesn't work.

Well, I suppose it works in the sense that you get meltdowns - but, really, c'mon.

Bottom line (for me): the concept itself is very interesting - there's no need to spice it up with meltdowns.

* Which means, essentially, that by introducing shenanigans you punish those who went for the former method: it's not a random thing which strikes blindly across the board, it's a clear disadvantage for one group of managers - and that really is too much in a draft like this.
Yep, precisely this. My whole drafting was based on those three picks and the rest of the draft is now a big waste of time. If it was stated from the beginning I wouldn’t have signed up for it and waste everyone else’s time.

The timing is also awful. When managers have two strategies like that it allows the ones that start with a low profile to catch up at R5-6 when they pick up star players no one could get anymore almost uncontested.

If the rule stands I’ll drop out so Edgar can have his meltdown and let the others continue with it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
When managers have two strategies like that it allows the ones that start with a low profile to catch up at R5-6 when they pick up star players no one could get anymore almost uncontested.
This is the most interesting part of the draft for me: if you go low profile, to what extent can you catch up to a GOAT heavy opponent? Or, the other way around, if you blow your options (clubs, national teams) early on in order to land the biggest names - how much (and how quickly) will you struggle down the line?

So, yeah - don't mess with the draft concept: that would completely feck up the "experiment", as I see it.

GodShaveTheQueen

Believe it's my turn mate.

Kindly skip me for now as I might prefer dropping out as well if the rule stays. Not that it's been harsh on my strategy or anything, just had a very specific team in mind with the Dzajic and Law picks and dont have the motivation to re-strategize just for chuckles.

P. S: If the rule is removed, I will take Finney.

@General_Elegancia , your turn.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah to be honest I'm much the same as the others. Pretty sure I completely screwed building around Xavi the last time I tried it and was looking forward to giving it another shot.

I'll carry on playing, but it will now be a completely different side than I was looking forward to building

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It does add a fun element of scrambling to find a replacement and changing some of your tactics but I think @Chesterlestreet is correct in his assertion that it unproportionally affects folk who tried to go all guns blazing in the early rounds.
The fact that the clubs and countries remain blocked is also harsh in my opinion.

In the end I have no problem whichever way this goes.

Šjor Bepo

fecking crybabies, its a meaningless draft just have fun ffs

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
General EleganciaA. Di StefanoR. FerdinandM. Van BastenA.Brehme
GSTQE. FigueroaD. DzajicD. LawT.Finney

GodShaveTheQueen

General EleganciaA. Di StefanoR. FerdinandM. Van BastenA. Brehme
GSTQE. FigueroaD. DzajicD. LawT. Finney

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
its a meaningless draft
In comparison with the horrors of the real world - yep.

In comparison with other drafts - nope, not really: there is a particular (and interesting) premise/restriction in place.

I mean, we could all join up for a game of Ludo and call it a "draft" - but hey, we're doing this thing, so.

Šjor Bepo

In comparison with the horrors of the real world - yep.

In comparison with other drafts - nope, not really: there is a particular (and interesting) premise/restriction in place.

I mean, we could all join up for a game of Ludo and call it a "draft" - but hey, we're doing this thing, so.
its a game, if you really care about winning this then something isnt right.....just have fun, and IMO the more obstacles and the more difficulties we face its better therefor more fun but looks like im in minority so will shut the feck up and wonder in silence

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
its a game, if you really care about winning this then something isnt right.....just have fun, and IMO the more obstacles and the more difficulties we face its better therefor more fun but looks like im in minority so will shut the feck up and wonder in silence
That sort of makes any (particular) concept a bit redundant, though.

(In theory, we could do nothing but bamboozle style drafts - but I think most people do prefer a separation between drafts where there is a particular premise (which doesn't suddenly change) - and drafts where randomness is part of the premise itself.)

Anyway - won't happen, good, we carry on.