Project Spark

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Mike wrote a response to Neogaf on the subject. He's the community manager (I think), you know, the bald guy from the videos.

Ah yeah Heisenberg... went on to read that thread the other day funnily enough. A premium account sounds alright to me as long as it's not extortionate.

I think what I say up there about how many 50 hour, 50 quid type games there will be is basically irrelevant the more I think about it. It's when you look at things like Haxball and see how fun that is that it becomes clear what's gonna happen with this if a real community forms. Such a basic game made really fun solely because of the execution and online factor, yet with this you could go way beyond that provided the idea was there.

It's going to be immense. :lol: I've really underrated the online multiplayer possibilities with this. Been so caught up in the idea of massive RPGs that I've somewhat neglected the smaller, hugely addictive game ideas that will hopefully be given form.

*Can't watch that 'making of' video yet, but do they literally make that entire trailer with Project Spark?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I haven't seen the full stream yet, only half of it - but yeah, it seems that almost the majority was made within the game. From what I can gather from comments elsewhere, the bulk was made in game with a few graphical touches added to the top. I'll update when I finish it.

Yeah, for sure. I mean, I still think there is huge potential for huge games, in-depth systems and what not - but whether it will happen I have no idea. It's just a case of effort from the user base; I definitely feel like these new restrictions may restrict that though. Other than that, all the tools are there.

But yeah, I've always been excited for the other stuff too.. the brawlers, the racers, the mini-games. And like I've said, I'm going to have a hell of a lot of fun just trying to create shit and then testing it out. I can't wait for that.

I've been thinking about making a 'character creator' which other people could use to make awesome characters which can come ready with props, weapons, powers and copy them into other games they play. The ultimate aim would be to have some sort of community based brawler/battle arena game though - not sure yet. I've been thinking of using cards to do it, character cards, add-on cards, power cards, etc.

I doubt mine will get very far, I'll most likely never finish it. But I think a game like that would really suit this platform. A community card based game; the community could create their own characters and add-ons and what not and register them as part of the game.

Alock1

Beta is live for Windows 8 users.

Get on it people!!!

This is where shit happens. Cant wait to see some some new content uploaded to youtube.

Alock1

Anybody want a beta key? Xbox One beta starts next month and they've said that they'll send new codes to everyone when that starts, so I can spare the one I have for anybody who has Windows 8.1.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
So finally relented and upgraded my laptop to windows 8 (not sure I like it at this point) and gave spark a shot last night.

Have largely only created the stock hero tutorial one with a mountain at this point. Building landscapes and such is fairly easy. And the brains look like they will take a bit of getting used to but shouldn't be too hard. Though I am a little disappointed with it so far to be honest. Character control and movement feels a bit awkward, but that could just be the one setting at this point.

What is the biggest disappointment however is it is very clear from the very start that they are pushing you to buy stuff. Starting out, they show you like twenty default characters/heroes you can start working with (four or so human, 2 goblin things and then random animals). Yet of those about a quarter you can't uses because they are locked.

Tried to play some other people creations and found it hard to locate decent ones at this point that kept me engaged. Haven't run out of 'spark time' at this point, but I can see that being another money grabbing attempt as well as quite a few games are already saying you have to use it for this game. I can really see this being something that once it takes off will start to discourage new players as everything will be needing spark time or be rather shallow.

I'll give it another shot tonight, to see if I can get into it a bit more. I wouldn't mind someone pointing me towards a decent RPG version with health bar and levels/ inventory and all that which I can grab as a starting point

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Played some more and it is growing on me a bit. I've created a few custom enemies at this point which was neat. Though getting the brains to work wasn't as easy as they make out. While fairly simple to do some things, it takes a fair amount of trial and error to get different effects working, particularly when starting out and not knowing the tile system that well.

Ended up getting stuck on how to get a character to be completely still and act like a statue. I can have them standing still, but they still do default animations like move there arms. Can't work out how to make that stop at all, anyone else know how to do this?

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Played some more and it is growing on me a bit. I've created a few custom enemies at this point which was neat. Though getting the brains to work wasn't as easy as they make out. While fairly simple to do some things, it takes a fair amount of trial and error to get different effects working, particularly when starting out and not knowing the tile system that well.

Ended up getting stuck on how to get a character to be completely still and act like a statue. I can have them standing still, but they still do default animations like move there arms. Can't work out how to make that stop at all, anyone else know how to do this?
Try pausing pal.

No need to thank me

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I can't actually play this at the moment. My fan's playing up again and I can't really run the risk of any heavy use - have had to set my computer so it doesn't exceed 20% CPU load.

How frustrating. :(

Alock1

That sucks @KingEric7 - I haven't played it yet either, waiting for the Xbox beta to happen rather than upgrade to Windows 8.1.

How are you finding it Dargonk? I've heard lots of people say that they prefer using the 360 controller (not sure if other controllers are supported?) than mouse + keyboard, maybe that would help.

Some amazing stuff has been coming out of the BETA.

Alock1

Awesome.

@KingEric7 - remember that Wind Waker remake you were on about? Possible for sure! :drool:

- Links Adventure"

Last edited:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
How are you finding it Dargonk? I've heard lots of people say that they prefer using the 360 controller (not sure if other controllers are supported?) than mouse + keyboard, maybe that would help.

Some amazing stuff has been coming out of the BETA.
I'm tinkering with it every now and then, creating a game that can slowly be scaled up if I really want. Though to be honest I've found it frustrating more than anything. For some reason undo isn't an option when you do certain things (such as accidentally delete a tile in the brain). Creating things isn't as easy as they make out, as there is a fairly steep learning curve and it seems to very much be trial and error to make things work than anything else. Though that is probably linked to the fact you are trying to work out exactly what each tile actually does/means at the same time.

What has annoyed me about the game is spark time and the clear push to get you to buy things. Spark time basically discourages you from using bought props as it limits the appeal of your game as you basically skim spark time games and if they don't grab your attention in the first 30 sec, you basically bin it and move on. The base amount of props on offer is very limited as well, hardly any characters or creatures, with over half basically just sitting there locked pushing you towards buying them. Your basically limited to four human, an orc and goblin, then things like a fish, squirrel and bird.

World creating however is very easy, if limited at the same time as you only get woodland, paths/rocks and a bit of snow as the base package. Deserts, ice and all those are locked right off the bat.

Alock1

I think the potential easiness in creating will come with time and working with the community. I'm sure to do everything yourself using the code is going to take some time to get use to, but I'll probably have more fun for it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of their pay structure. I really don't like the idea of people having limited play time - I thought all the limitations would be put on the creators.

Lots of cool videos though, especially the Fable one above.

Alock1

I said all along it'd be asset packs they mainly sell. I'm still going to try it when I get the chance though.

Mind you Disney Infinity has a lot going for it ;)
Yeah, but I don't think anybody expected them to limit playing time to creations that contained the assets you owned. Seems ridiculous.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I said all along it'd be asset packs they mainly sell. I'm still going to try it when I get the chance though.

Mind you Disney Infinity has a lot going for it ;)
Yeh, problem is that the current system is very flawed at the moment, to the point were I actually think it will stop it from seriously taking off unless they have a rethink.

It is very clear that they want you to buy items and such, but it isn't packs that you buy. It is largely individual items. So if I purchase say a knight sword for my game, every person who wants to play it has to have that exact sword also purchased. If they don't it costs them spark time and basically limits the number of people who will look at the game as a result.

Now I have no issue with buying packs and such if I want certain props in my game, but by doing so you basically scrap half the players as no one wants to waste their spark time. So by hampering the playing of games it is actually pushing me not to buy props as I don't want to use them in my games and cause people to use spark time. Basically one of the reasons I haven't even thought about buying any props and it just shits me having them visible when I view my prop library

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, but I don't think anybody expected them to limit playing time to creations that contained the assets you owned. Seems ridiculous.
I'm sure I brought that question up in this or the other thread somewhere.

Yeh, problem is that the current system is very flawed at the moment, to the point were I actually think it will stop it from seriously taking off unless they have a rethink.

It is very clear that they want you to buy items and such, but it isn't packs that you buy. It is largely individual items. So if I purchase say a knight sword for my game, every person who wants to play it has to have that exact sword also purchased. If they don't it costs them spark time and basically limits the number of people who will look at the game as a result.

Now I have no issue with buying packs and such if I want certain props in my game, but by doing so you basically scrap half the players as no one wants to waste their spark time. So by hampering the playing of games it is actually pushing me not to buy props as I don't want to use them in my games and cause people to use spark time. Basically one of the reasons I haven't even thought about buying any props and it just shits me having them visible when I view my prop library
It is a big stumbling block. I guess they just bank on people all buying the packs, since it's a deliberate ploy to get people to pay for everything.

Revan

Assumptionman
Has anybody installed the beta version? I had applied for a key some time ago and only now I saw that I had received it more than a month ago.

Alock1

I think only Dargonk has played it so far..

I'm waiting on the Xbox One beta which is supposedly imminent. Some great stuff has been coming out of the beta so far.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I am actually slightly interested in this now, and I don't know why. Maybe because I've been playing ps2 games lately (Spyro :lol:). I think I'll wait a few months after release to see how it goes though, LBP disappointed me greatly.

Alock1

Project Spark Beta Impressions
Project Spark is a game I was eagerly waiting to play, or rather, make games on it so that others would be able to play stuff I make. Yes, It’s a game about making games, but is it only about making games? Not exactly. As Project Spark’s Wikipedia page puts it, It is a “digital canvas” which can be used to make games, movies or other experiences. How diverse can this engine… *ahem* game be, you ask? Well to put things into perspective, I recently played a game called Ryse: Son of Spark. It’s not entirely what you think it is, but rather just a gladiator arena combat game, or that’s what I’m calling it anyway.

Here are some screenshots from the game within a game.

Don’t be fooled by the “Kills: 1 Executions: 1″ I actually played the game for quite some time but took the screenshots as soon as I started because the idea of seeing a game like this inside Project Spark truly impressed me. When I started this game within a game, some controls were amiss, since the game was obviously made with a controller in mind and not a keyboard and mouse configuration, and because of that, making “executions” was more or less impossible. So I was wondering if I could manage to change or fix it somehow and shuddered in fear of how tough that would be since I’m not really a developer and have just started playing this a few days ago, yet to mess with any of the brain functions. But viola, I was able to fix it in a jiffy and the executions worked like a charm without me breaking any of the game’s other aspects. Messing with the game’s “coding” was relatively easy since the whole UI is very user-friendly.

I won’t bother explaining what all of this means since the in-game tutorial is quite thorough with how things work and what you have to do to fine tune things to your liking. All you have to know however is that the entire thing is very user-friendly as stated before. It’s user-friendly enough that a non game developer like me was easily able to decipher things and make changes to the brain functions without much of hassle within a matter of minutes.

The level designing tools don’t lack behind either, they’re very user friendly as well since I was able to make a makeshift game world of my own in a matter of hours; and I don’t mean to honk my own horn or anything but I do have to say that the entire thing does look quite gorgeous. (It even includes a secret dungeon that you can enter via a secret entrance which is located in one of the mountains)

The best part about the game is that it’s Free to play. However, free to play can usually discourage a lot people because free to play also means *Shudders*… Micro-transactions. As you’ve probably predicted by now, yes, there are micro-transactions in the game as well but simmer down and hold your pitchforks for a while. The micro-transactions inside the game aren’t half bad because as far as I’ve seen, you can buy everything from the Project Spark marketplace using in-game money that you get for doing almost anything inside the game. When I say anything, I literally mean it. I got in-game money for playing games from the User Generated Content library. I even got quite a bit of in-game currency for doing random things while I was making my own game, like sculpting the land, painting the grass, placing content on my game world etc. While to me it seems like you can buy anything with in-game money, or “credits” as it is called in the Project Spark marketplace; it does take quite sometime to grind the amount required to buy the extra contents that’s available in the Project Spark store and you’ll most likely need the extra content if you want to make your own game, because the variety of content you get in the beginning, the ones you get for free and don’t have to pay anything for, is limited in my eyes. That being said, you can actually customize everything to a great degree, so if you’re unsatisfied with what you have, you can always make your own things instead of buying the extra content, but that requires more work. All in all though, the extra content is not necessary, that is, not unless you want to play all the UGC. If you want to play UGC that has premium or rather, extra content that you do not own, you’ll have to buy something called the “Spark Power”. It allows you to play games that have extra content in them. Spark Power can also be obtained for credits money and it works something like a World of Warcraft subscription. You can buy Spark Power for either a day or a month. Some content is even gated behind your level on Project Spark. I am currently level 3 and I doubt I’d be able to buy and use everything on the marketplace even with real money unless I level up my account first.

All in all, I was very impressed with my short experience with Project Spark, however, this was my initial impression of Project Spark, soon did I realize that my expectations were set quite low because the game-maker impressed me even further, as it included full-blown RPG games, small arcade games, first person shooters etc. At this point, I wouldn’t even be surprised to find Tetris somewhere in the User Generated Content library. The amount of possibilities that this game brings along with it is pretty much endless to say the least and definitely more so than what Minecraft or LittleBigPlanet offers, games that Project Spark is being compared with. I’ll write a full review on Project Spark when the game is officially released, for the moment however, I can already see myself spending hours in this piece of software, either making my own game(s) or getting lost in playing games made by others.
http://asidcast.com/index.php/2014/02/project-spark-beta-impressions-2/

Alock1

Some cool short clips cause I know you guys don't care for the hour long streams!

The above video was taken after 1 week of beta. It's been 10 weeks since then!

Portal 3?!

Piano Spark

So, also, there's a game being made in Project Spark called Elderfall which is getting a lot of attention.

Elderfall is a work-in-progress linear RPG with open world elements currently being developed in Project Spark. The series will begin with prologue projects that help tell the story of the characters, and when enough required features are introduced into the beta, Elderfall will begin full production using world linking and more varied toolsets to truly bring a unique experience to the RPG world, even outside of Project Spark standards.

ElderFall takes place in Atlas, a world once free from the clutches of evil thanks to protection granted by The Elders, ancient guardians gifted by the great diety Xionn to protect the world from evils both foreign and domestic. But when the Elders are slain, and evil has free reign in Atlas, a new era of chaos begins twisting the land to its' will... and only a select few may be able to survive it.
http://ruukukabe.wix.com/elderfall

Alock1

The devs are teasing that Project Spark Xbox One beta could hit as early as next week - I'm excited.

They've said numerous times that they're waiting for the Xbox One beta to talk more about co-op and multiplayer, and teased that 'yes, it would be great to create with your friends online'.

I wonder if they are going to announce cross platform multiplayer though. A while back, Phil Spencer said that cross-platform between Xbox Live 'makes sense' and 'is where the industry is heading'. I wonder if you will be able to create/play across platforms. Would be awesome news if so, so that the community isn't somewhat split.

They've confirmed multiple times that you can save where you are on one platform, go to another and continue from where you left (cloud!).

Last edited:

Alock1

@Revan - since you're a massive Game of Thrones fan.. check out this King's Landing level made in Project Spark, on the latest stream.

It's at 47:00 and only lasts about 3 minutes. Some other brilliant levels shown off in the stream too, some with some more gameplay, others showcasing an in depth ui/inventory/leveling system/crafting (1:00:00)

There's a community beta montage coming out with only footage from beta players on the PC - nothing made internally. I can't wait.

Mike, one of the directors/producers (bald guy in the streams) was talking about how they had been doing lots of press events recently. He was saying how these gaming journalists (specifically mentioned polygon and ign) completely changed how they perceive the game after seeing footage that was all user created in the beta. I think they thought that it wasn't going to spawn the gameplay and levels that it promises too, and what they saw from the beta surprised them.

Revan

Assumptionman
@Revan - since you're a massive Game of Thrones fan.. check out this King's Landing level made in Project Spark, on the latest stream.

It's at 47:00 and only lasts about 3 minutes. Some other brilliant levels shown off in the stream too, some with some more gameplay, others showcasing an in depth ui/inventory/leveling system/crafting (1:00:00)
Looks good, really.

Seriously, the Caf should join forces and try making something.

Alock1

Project Spark beta for Xbox One STARTS TODAY!

What should I create first?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Has anybody installed the beta version? I had applied for a key some time ago and only now I saw that I had received it more than a month ago.
I've played it. It is decent, but a few flaws around how they have packaged it in terms of spark time and such. If they removed that it would be instantly a whole lot more promising. I really should get around to finishing off my little game at some stage, but I have hardly any time right now.

Alock, have they mentioned anything about how the PC and xbox version will interact?

Alock1

Dargonk, everything saves to the cloud and can be opened from any platform :)

You can switch platforms while creating and all games will be available cross - platform.

Let me know if you ever save what youve done and ill check it out.

Alock1

I just dont get it

You make your own game? But itll be shit...
The potential is there for a good game. But even if you can't make a good one, you could say the same for any creative hobby.

Alock1

@KingEric7

Remember the stuff we would say about how easy it would be to do animations using Kinect?

I was ashamed of myself; feeling incredibly guilty and self-loathe.

Alock1

Mike_Lescault;103438739 said:
Below is something I wrote for a different thread, to try and explain the way we look at things. But at the end of the day, we're open to feedback and are willing to work with the community to figure out what works best for all involved.

Let me explain our perspective on the game, and you can all explain how you see it differently.

Project Spark isn't F2P, it doesn't have microtransactions, and it certainly isn't freemium. At least not in how we define it. Project Spark is a different kind of game, and unlike anything else before.

The game is a free digital download. You can play, create, and share without ever purchasing any tokens or earning any in-game credits. The core experience is free for everyone. It doesn't even require a gold subscription.

The core experience includes a tremendous amount of content, and we've seen an endless amount of amazing and cool creations made with the core experience alone.

In addition to the core experience, we also offer optional content packs. Much like you might purchase a new lego set to go along with your base lego collection, not having this additional pack doesn't prevent you from using what you already have, it just means you may not have that super cool lego dude that looks like an astronaut, or any of those nifty space shuttle lego pieces.

Baseline model is this: You can only create with content that you own. You also can only play UGC made with content that you own. And you can play, create, and share without limitation, for ever and ever, with anything you own, even if that's just the core Project Spark experience. If you decide you want something additional, such as the Arctic or Desert biomes, you can purchase them, and add them to your "collection."

Now, what we do a poor job of explaining, is that we also allow users the opportunity to play (but not create) with content that they do not own. Sort of like going over to your friend's house and playing with his lego set. We provide players an option to purchase a premium subscription that will allow them to play an unlimited amount of UGC of content they haven't purchased.

Additionally, we give everyone a certain amount of "Spark Time" each day, where they can play UGC containing content they don't own. It's currently set to 30 minutes, but it will likely fluctuate as we continue to test and tweak it.

So essentially, there are only two things you can unlock in Project Spark: Premium account (giving unlimited access to play unowned UGC), or specific Content packs. These can be unlocked in one of two ways, by spending in-game credits you've earned, or by purchasing tokens with real live money.

We see a lot of people getting the premium accounts currently, but most say they are doing it for the huge increase it provides in bonus experience and in-game currency you earn. We did the math, and if you do all the Project Spark daily quests every day, when you have a premium account, you would earn enough credits in 18 days to unlock another month of premium. Ergo, you could essentially play everything on Project Spark, for free, forever and ever, as long as you do those daily changes. (Which we hope, will turn you from a player, into a creator, because you'll find it fun)

As far as creators go, we expect the top creators to earn enough in-game credits from rewards for having their UGC downloaded and played, to allow them to effectively own everything in the game without having to purchase it. We're in early beta, so none of this is perfectly balanced, nor will it be for a while, but this is the philosophical goal of the design.

We like to think we've come up with a model that, much like Project Spark itself, allows our fans to enjoy the game the way they want. Players who have lots of time, can earn (read: grind if you like) their way to unlimited gameplay without ever spending anything. Creators who focus on making Awesomeness, should earn enough to continuously add content packs to their collection. And players or creators who dont' have a lot of time, have the option to purchase tokens to do whatever they wish.
Project Spark director/producer talking about the games spark time model on Neogaf.

May interest you @Dargonk

Alock1

SPARK TIME IS GONE! All games are now free to play for as long as you want, regardless of whether you own all the content in the level. Brilliant news, that was our biggest problem with the game.

Also, the beta is now wide open for Xbox One users.

Spark Time has been removed

Players will be able to play anything created in Project Spark, without any time limitation or DLC ownership requirement.
Project Spark Beta News: Open Beta Is In And Spark Time Is Out

Project Spark is without a doubt the most underrated exclusive for Xbox One. It very nearly has literally everything. A user friendly creation toolkit allows players to design basically any game they can imagine, and a community-first sharing system makes it painless to browse through the most popular, featured, or highest rated UGC (user generated content). I have written pretty extensively about my enthusiasm for this title. Despite all my previous coverage I could still drone on and on and on about how much I'm enjoying the Project Spark beta. But today's news isn't about telling you how great Project Spark is. It's about telling you that you can finally experience it for yourself.

If you're one of the unlucky few who didn't get a beta key for Project Spark, don't worry. Team Dakota announced on their live stream today (along with Larry "Major Nelson" hryb) that the Project Spark open beta will begin on ... RIGHT NOW

"No keys are necessary, the doors are wide open," said Major Nelson. "GO DOWNLOAD IT!"

I concur with Major Nelson. Go download it. The creation tools are totally free, as are all the community creations. That is literally hours upon hours of free gaming for you to do, right now, today. Spark Power is being replaced with Spark Premium. It's coming soon in 3 month, 6 month and 12 month packages. If you buy 3 months of Spark Premium, you'll get 2 additional permanent upload slots. 6 months, you get 5 additional upload slots. 12 months and you get 12 additional upload slots. No pricing has been set yet but the good news is that it's replacing Spark Time.

If you haven't played the beta yet, then you don't know that Spark Time was required to play user content that used items from a paid DLC. If you didn't own the DLC that the designer used then you had to pay a small fee ($1 for 24 hours) to play their game. No more. Project Spark has done away with spark Time so now ALL the content is available for FREE. It's b-a-n-a-n-a-s.

If you bought Spark Time, don't worry.

"Anyone who acquired 30 days of Spark Power within the last 30 days, will continue to get the 200% bonus for XP and credit, but we will be granting them 24,000 credits," said community manager Mike Lescault.

For casual gamers Project Spark should be a no-brainer. let's face facts, there isn't a ton of content on xbox One right now. Titanfall's great, sure, but if you're looking for fantasy/RPG adventures you're out of luck. Project spark is teeming with different RPG style games. I've talked in the past about Elderfall, a great project with big ambitions. But there are dozens like it just waiting to be played. For free. Right now.

What're you waiting for?

Alock1

Video for Linkin Park song done in Project Spark.

Fully playable/remixable too and I believe that music is now in the catalogue to be used.