Project Spark

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Some of these people are so artistic. Must admit, I said in the other thread that I've realigned my expectations in terms of the likelihood of quality games being produced (how good, how many), but it's still so fascinating watching these videos. Got a lot to catch up on still, but I caught a glance of a level that was created and the design was so good.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Some of these people are so artistic. Must admit, I said in the other thread that I've realigned my expectations of how many good games this will produce (as well as how good), but it's still so fascinating watching these video. Got a lot to catch up on still, but I caught a glance of a level that was created and the design was so good.
The JRPG level? Swansong?

KingEric7

Saw some of that, yeah. This one was another video with there being huge swords stuck in the side of a cave at one point, with giant skulls on the floor with flaming eyes. Great stuff.

Alock1

http://www.twitch.tv/project_spark

Stream has started.

EDIT: nothing particularly interesting, BETA starts November and they showed off a few things but nothing really. They were using a new build, which is prone to crashes and hasn't got a great deal of games to show off.

New stream tomorow though, they've upping the stream count as we get closer to beta, and he mentioned doing daily streams when the beta is imminent.

Alock1

How was it tonight, Alock?
They're in the new (beta) build - so didn't have a great deal to show in terms of games, and I think they didn't want to show too many new features due to the build crashing (did a few times).

The default character is now a human, who has a Fable look to him I guess. They messed about on two levels where the objective was to gain 100 coins, which looked cool and were designed well but nothing new that we hadn't seen a long time ago.
They did show a cool game, where 2 characters you could pick from who are actually Microsoft employees - and you get to throw coloured pies at them, which paints their clothes, and you have a crowd who clapped.

Nothing particularly interesting I don't believe, but the new stream tomorow will hopefully have some more content.

Alock1

They make a horror game from scratch, with the intro made on the Surface tablet. Apparently they also announce a content pack, and confirm offline play.

Gonna watch this now, will update with some thoughts, interesting to hear about the content pack.

EDIT: So I posted a recap, I thought it was of the above video but it wasn't, sorry if anybody watched it - if you did, watch the above video now.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Alock, can you elaborate on the announcement of a content pack? Haven't been following the videos at all as they are a bit long to be watching all the time.

Also offline play? so you don't need an Internet connection to create things

Alock1

Alock, can you elaborate on the announcement of a content pack? Haven't been following the videos at all as they are a bit long to be watching all the time.

Also offline play? so you don't need an Internet connection to create things
Nope, you can create offline :).

Erm, I don't remember what they said about content packs anymore - they just said that there were some bioms (or whatever those brushes are called) available in a content pack that I remember. But there's every chance they said more and I missed it, especially since the blurb describing the video listed it as a 'topic covered'.

--
New stream:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Good news about the offline.

I'm assuming you have to pay for those content packs? Brushes is probably the only way they could actually sell DLC so it would make sense. Items wouldn't work as you can jump into other people's work and use what they have created/done so could just get items that way anyway.

Also any new indication on when the beta is going to come out?

Alock1

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...t_Spark_to_make_gamebuilding_fun_and_easy.php

In advance of GDC Next, which runs in Los Angeles next week, GDC director of online community Patrick Miller talked to Microsoft Studios's Soren Hannibal about the inspiration and challenges behind making Project Spark, a free-to-play game-making-game due out for Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Windows.

Hannibal will be speaking about Project Spark in his GDC Next 10 talk in LA on Wednesday, Nov. 6th titled "Project Spark: Enabling and Inspiring the User to Make (Almost) Anything".

Patrick Miller: Were there other activities, toys, hobbies, emotions, etc. that you wanted to evoke with Project Spark?

Soren Hannibal: There are a lot of things that inspired us to build Project Spark. We all know that games are deeply engaging experiences; they're unlike any other media out there. Sites like YouTube and Twitter show how many people want to express themselves. We wanted to give people that medium -- the ultimate freedom to create anything you can think of, and let everyone see, critique, be inspired by, and improve upon your work.

PM: I imagine it was hard to make Project Spark's learning curve gentle enough to be welcoming while still enabling complexity at the high end. How'd you do it?

SH: The first thing is to realize that one size does not fit all. Different users want to engage at different levels, so we made sure that there's not just one way to create. We started with focusing on an extremely flexible underlying technology, with the main components being world sculpting, object placement, and the scripting language. On top of that we built simplification on, layer after layer -- with the focus on allowing you to quickly rough in your world, but never stopping you from digging deeper if you wanted to.

You have multiple starting points -- you can make a number of choices and we build a full world for you, you can start by playing a world built by someone else, or you can start from an empty canvas. You can place each object individually, or you can user our brushes to populate the world as you paint the ground. You can apply pre-made behaviors or use your own. All in all, there are a lot of choices, and you don't need to spend months to have fun.

PM: How'd you make Project Spark fun? And how the heck could you prototype, test, and iterate something like this?

SH: There are a number of things we've done here. For example, we try to recognize what you are interested in, and reward you for it -- whether you care mostly about modeling and painting the world, or you like to spend your time writing brains, we detect that.

On a more tactical level, we try to give you a lot of instantly gratifying feedback -- something as simple as playing a sound and a particle effect when you place a prop, or adding inertia on the camera controls. These are the simple tricks that game developers have used forever to make games feel polished, but that you rarely see in "professional" game engine tools. We try to eliminate a number of tedious, repetitive operations -- you don't have to manually place hundreds of trees in your forest, but can just use a stroke of a brush, freeing you up to spend time on the things you actually care about polishing.

Finally, I'd say that making games, at is core, is a lot of fun, but manual, error-prone processes and high iteration times can suck the fun out of anything. Therefore, we have done our best to improve iteration speeds. When editing a level, you can instantly test it, and you can instantly return to the editor whenever you see something wrong. You can make a change and see it in a second, without having to deal with the traditional steps of saving, exporting, processing, compiling and launching.

PM: What was the first thing you saw someone do in Project Spark that surprised you?

SH: Our team has been doing little one-day game jams every three weeks for a long time now. There has been a ton of cool worlds built, but the first thing that I remember was from one of these game jams, really early on. Someone had made a 3D Marble Madness style game, which in itself was fun, but the impressive part was that the creator didn't use our built-in camera, he decided to rewrite the camera controls fully in our scripting language, and his camera worked better than what we had at the time. This is exactly what I hope to see from Project Spark -- people creating things that makes us think "How did he do that?".

PM: What's your plan to sustain Project Spark? How do you grow and extend it? How do you nurture its community?

SH: For now, the focus has been on building a very robust and flexible core toolset, but we have a gigantic wish list of things we want to add on top of that. We are trying to stay agile, because we know that as soon as we ship, we will realize which features will really matter to the community, and no amount of planning in our office can truly predict that. Constant feedback from the community is much more important for Project Spark than it would be for a lot of other games, and we plan on shipping regular updates, both for new content and features.

PM: Post-Minecraft, it seems like lots of people are interested in creating these sandbox-y user-generated content games because they're practically infinitely replayable. How do you retain players' interest? Is getting players to switch from one to the other somewhat akin to, say, having a dev switch IDEs or an artist switch from Max to Blender?

SH: In my opinion this is still a very sparse field, compared to many other game genres. I can say with confidence that it takes a lot more work to create a sandbox UGC game than a regular game. As a developer you lose a lot of control over the experience, and you have to support everything the user can imagine. Most UGC games put strict limits on the sandbox experience, whether it is game genre, world size or visuals, and any creation will show its parentage.

I think that dedicated creators will use the tools that will allow them to reach whatever goal they have, and the tools are complementary -- like Photoshop and Maya, not Max versus Maya. My hope is that more people find a way express their creativity, not just that people move from one program to another.

Online registration for GDC Next and the co-located ADC ends today. For all the latest news on GDC Next, subscribe for updates via Facebook, Twitter, or RSS.

For more on the GDC Next 10 session series, read the GDC Next 10 listings, and previous interviews with Daniel Benmergui, Greg Johnson (HumaNature Studios), Nathan Vella (Capy Games) , and David Nottingham (Dynamighty).

KingEric7

Nice, cheers Alock. Was always going to happen but I'm glad they're gonna keep their ear to the ground in terms of the wants of the community.

Alock1

Most definitely - and I have every faith in them based on how they've gone about things so far.

Alock1

Haven't watched the first stream yet, but the second stream is awesome once again. Remember, these community videos that they've shown are alpha creations made in an old build, but also by alpha members rather than the inhouse devs.

Some really neat stuff once again.

KingEric7

Love that you can do that first person spell shooting type stuff in the second video. Ever since I first played Morrowind I've always thought there was a gap in the market for a first person multiplayer with spells. Something that requires a bit of thought but with addictive gameplay mechanics - more like the combat in Dragon Age but in real time. Be good to have shield/other support spells, different range of attack spells, different types, melee attacks, etc...

Just something that is better than the clumsy-ish feel to Elder Scrolls combat, and with more strategy.

Alock1

Love that you can do that first person spell shooting type stuff in the second video. Ever since I first played Morrowind I've always thought there was a gap in the market for a first person multiplayer with spells. Something that requires a bit of thought but with addictive gameplay mechanics - more like the combat in Dragon Age but in real time. Be good to have shield/other support spells, different range of attack spells, different types, melee attacks, etc...

Just something that is better than the clumsy-ish feel to Elder Scrolls combat, and with more strategy.
Yeah, for sure. Infact, I can actually see a lot of genres mixing in Project Spark which is going to be cool. Swapping cameras from 3rd, to 1st, to top-down to side-scrolling etc.etc. They can really change the way a game feels and plays, and it'll be really fun to see.

Did you ever get chance to watch that Swan Song stream btw? The 20 minute once is worth a watch, I know otherwise it's really far too long to find the team. I remember you saying you had caught some but not sure how much.

Alock1

Project Spark could be the world's first game about acting

Unique among Xbox One's 'launch window' titles is Project Spark, which alone, defies standard genre classification. It is one of the few games in the world that allows players to stand in front of the TV screen and act.

This though, is not its core promise. It's a world-builder, a chance to creatively shape and sculpt landscapes according to your whim. The 'game' is the creation of other games, dropping pre-formed characters into your world and arranging them in such a way as to provide challenges for a protagonist, who you also create. Finally, it's a social toy, a way to use Kinect to create tableaux and stages to act out on-screen fantasies, to recreate favorite movie scenes or to just transpose yourself into the screen and into the game you are making.

Players select terrain tools and sweep across their worlds, transforming blank canvases into rolling meadows luxuriating in flora, or shifting dunes, dotted with rock towers. They can dictate water or vegetation levels. This breadth of control fulfills a desire to create on a grand scale, seen in such games as Minecraft or SimCity. The developers at Team Dakota talk in terms of social sharing, of expressing self through a kind of art that sits somewhere between absolute unfettered creativity and Instagram-style color-by-numbers.

Once the world is rendered, players then turn to the characters that will yomp and stroll across its hills and dales. You can create an isometric shooter or a third-person platformer. Other choices are available and more are likely to be added. Like Minecraft, this feels like something that will develop over time, thus the use of the word 'Project' in its name.

Your characters come from a set of customizable templates, fantasy life-forms (trolls, squirrel-men etc.) that can also be resized into giants or midgets, that can be dressed and ornamented. Their behaviors too, can be altered. A logic tool is presented that approximates the outlines of AI programming. If X happens, what will your goblin do? Pull-down menus allow you to choose if the goblin flees or fights.

This is where the product wanders into the realm of game design. During my preview, there was no way of knowing how well this works in reality, but goofing around with the behaviors of multiple characters in a world of one's own creation looks like fun, assuming they do what they are told.

Kinect is utilized to place the players themselves into the game. During my demo, I foolishly suggested that we attempt to recreate a famous moment from a movie, inside the game. A few moments later I was standing in front of dozens of people yelling, "Woo,hooo, I'm king of the world," arms akimbo in Christ-like pose. My character on-screen had been placed at the prow of a makeshift liner. He was doing exactly what I was doing, including my moronically excited facial expressions.

Me as a young Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic, this small moment of cinematic history, now exists as an animated avatar that can be shared and utilized in game-worlds. That is its practical effect. Less tangibly, it was also one of the very, very few occasions in my life when I have been called upon to 'act'. I'd be a liar if I pretended to not feel the buzz of abandon, of being something else, as well as the thrilling mortification of public spectacle.

This is where Project Spark also aspires towards those other physical creativity games like Dance Central or SingStar, except those games are about mimicry, while this, potentially, is about creativity. Sure, there'll likely be plenty of simulations of Star Wars moments (during my demo I was briefly tempted to do "I am your father"), but you can act out anything that you want.

"Our game is about you making whatever you want to make," said executive producer Saxs Persson. "It's the perfect application for Kinect, where you go in and you can make your own rendition of Macbeth, or your terrible jokes, or just making obscene gestures while jumping up and down. It's entirely up to you."

Naturally, this being Kinect, it's far from perfect. As Persson says, you won't be able to simulate a complex 3D fighting game in Project Spark. But it is a whole lot better than anything we've seen before.

"We can capture your full body, your face, your hands, your eyebrows, your voice, and apply it to any character in the game," he said. "It works."

The character inside the game is based on the templates available, there is currently no way to scan yourself into the game. But, again, this is a work-in-progress. "We've had a lot of requests for it, and we're all about listening to what people actually want," said Persson. "But for now we've said, look, let's break down the barrier of putting yourself in the game."

Project Spark has enough on its plate, introducing a new kind of play, with a new technology. It also offers cross-platform play on Xbox 360 and Windows PC. But this is an indefinable product, a work of derivation, certainly, but also of originality and risk. One that invites people to, literally, act differently.

"When people play, it genuinely breaks down a lot of barriers," said Persson. "You'll be amazed by what people do once they see that on the screen. Their inhibitions just disappear."

Correction: An earlier version of this story stated that Project Spark is a day-one launch title for Xbox One. It is expected to arrive post-launch.

KingEric7

Yeah, for sure. Infact, I can actually see a lot of genres mixing in Project Spark which is going to be cool. Swapping cameras from 3rd, to 1st, to top-down to side-scrolling etc.etc. They can really change the way a game feels and plays, and it'll be really fun to see.

Did you ever get chance to watch that Swan Song stream btw? The 20 minute once is worth a watch, I know otherwise it's really far too long to find the team. I remember you saying you had caught some but not sure how much.

I've just watched the 20 minute recap and it is so professional. :lol: It's been clear for a while that that could be done but it's another thing seeing it. I like the little in battle animations like how the character backflips back into position, and also how camera angles change for spells and rooms. The cut scene as well for the treasure chests...

So fecking good - it's easily the coolest thing about the next generation so far. Massive 50 hour versions of that will take unheard of levels of effort but I don't care. I'm even just curious to see what people do in the sense of other forms of media, less ambitious games, general ideas, etc...

Alock1

I've just watched the 20 minute recap and it is so professional. :lol: It's been clear for a while that that could be done but it's another thing seeing it. I like the little in battle animations like how the character backflips back into position, and also how camera angles change for spells and rooms. The cut scene as well for the treasure chests...

So fecking good - it's easily the coolest thing about the next generation so far. Massive 50 hour versions of that will take unheard of levels of effort but I don't care. I'm even just curious to see what people do in the sense of other forms of media, less ambitious games, general ideas, etc...
You're right of course, but I think Project Spark provides the tools to make it as easy as possible. You can copy props, characters, animations, functions - everything, into your own game with ease. The remixing in this game, with the community sharing is going to be the best thing about it.

Like on that recent stream, somebody has created that Goblin airship - not a game, just an airship for people to go and take and use in their own game. Wasn't by a designer, just a random guy who got into the Alpha.

I know that you re-evaluated your expectations, but I still seriously expect great things from the game. Truly great things. I have confidence in the millions of people who will download this, a small percentage will be dedicated and create fabulous stuff - with the scale that Project Spark is gonna hit, a small percentage is more than enough.

KingEric7

You're right of course, but I think Project Spark provides the tools to make it as easy as possible. You can copy props, characters, animations, functions - everything, into your own game with ease. The remixing in this game, with the community sharing is going to be the best thing about it.

Like on that recent stream, somebody has created that Goblin airship - not a game, just an airship for people to go and take and use in their own game. Wasn't by a designer, just a random guy who got into the Alpha.

I know that you re-evaluated your expectations, but I still seriously expect great things from the game. Truly great things. I have confidence in the millions of people who will download this, a small percentage will be dedicated and create fabulous stuff - with the scale that Project Spark is gonna hit, a small percentage is more than enough.

Yeah, I really can't see how it could be much easier. It's so accessible and varied, and there has been nothing like the sort of community with other software that this will hopefully generate. As for the re-evaluation, I feel like I've betrayed Project Spark or something there. :lol: It hit me a few weeks back when I woke up, "if I had an idea for a lengthy, cracking game and started building it on Spark, I'd probably quit shortly into it and learn how to make an Indie game". It's the sort of stuff I was rambling on about originally with trying to get developers to implement monetisation, but I sort of lost sight of it simply because of how brilliant this looks!

Still, you could well be right, and there will surely be some really good stuff irrespective of just how professional and how fleshed out games get. Even aside from gaming ideas, Youtube TV series would be a fantastic use for this. It's a good point up there in that article about inhibition - there will be a lot of people out there with a lot of talent that will feel more comfortable in expressing it through this.

Alock1

There are a shit load of people who spend hours and hours being creative just to be creative. I definitely understand that making money would be a push for people, but I guess you'd be far more limited in your approach. The modding communities are huge, and the tools are nothing in comparison. Plus, how often do we hear from the real indie developers who get bogged down in the fact that they have monetary targets - deadlines, schedules, platforms pushing them etc.etc. Project Spark doesn't have that shit with it, there's no pressure, and at the end of it all - the public can enjoy your game. Most gaming developers say that all they ever wanted is to create stuff that people can enjoy - and in Project Spark that is what you are doing.

Thinking now, I expect most people to incorporate ideas, props, characters, or simply copying functions/code from one game to another. You can't do that, and then charge for your game, that'd cause all sorts of issues with people feeling like they had contributed

If the guy who made Swan Song gives up on it, people can edit his game and know exactly how he did what he did. They can take the brain from the character, including all of his skills, abilities and inventories and start a new world. They can carry props to keep the theme going and everything else. Because it's so open from the start, I think that's going to be accepted straight away and people will really utilize the system. feck content packs for buying props, I'll just search through the other games and steal somebody elses prop :P.

KingEric7

Yeah, these people definitely exist. I still think some good stuff will be made out of this; the reassessment was in view of money being that extra push to really go for all out professionalism and excellence (as in literally a game that would come out on and that you would pay 50 quid for and think was brilliant). Not saying it won't happen but it's somewhat changed the perception of probability and frequency. Will have to just wait and see on that count.

I think what you say about the copying the brain stuff is significant, though. It's another example of how they've opened it up to allow people with imbalanced (or more particular) skillsets to make good games, and to cut down on what is probably one of the most time consuming elements. I think I'd probably feel like I would lose a little sense of achievement if I went overboard there, but there's nothing wrong with taking shortcuts and putting good ideas to use. It's a great option to have.

Alock1

Yeah, these people definitely exist. I still think some good stuff will be made out of this; the reassessment was in view of money being that extra push to really go for all out professionalism and excellence (as in literally a game that would come out on and that you would pay 50 quid for and think it was brilliant). Not saying it won't happen but it's somewhat changed the perception of probability and frequency. Will have to just wait and see on that count.

I think what you say about the copying the brain stuff is significant, though. It's another example of how they've opened it up to allow people with imbalanced (or more particular) skillsets to make good games, and to cut down on what is probably one of the most time consuming elements. I think I'd probably feel like I would lose a little sense of achievement if I went overboard there, but there's nothing wrong with taking shortcuts and putting good ideas to use. It's a great option to have.
I guess that depends.. copy and pasting would feel like a 'cheat'.

But, you could be editting other games and looking in detail at how the brain functions have been made to get a better idea and understanding of it. If you were to figure out what was going on, spend the time understanding and appreciating what they had done, and then went and used that knowledge to incorporate it yourself - I think you'd feel a sense of achievement just the same. Essentially, you've still copied somewhat, but that doesn't matter - you've learnt and applied. And it's still a huge bonus, because without the ability to go and view other peoples work - you might never be able to figure it out for yourself.

KingEric7

Definitely a positive thing, didn't mean to imply otherwise. Will be good to look at some of the more complex creations like you say and get to grips with how people have got them working.

Alock1

You seem to be concerned that I will be personally offended if you don't share the amount of enthusiasm as me :P

You'd be right

KingEric7

Nah, just thought that probably did seem like a criticism. I think one of the first things I'll be doing is seeing how people get props to be animated like humans, because that's something I can't really wrap my head around. You'd have to map joints and stuff surely?

Alock1

Nah, just thought that probably did seem like a criticism. I think one of the first things I'll be doing is seeing how people get props to be animated like humans, because that's something I can't really wrap my head around. You'd have to map joints and stuff surely?
Well you can attach props to joints, and have a character who is surrounded by props - that is probably the easiest way to do it I'd imagine.

It's definitely possible to do it otherwise though, we saw on a number of streams that you can have huge props who are pretty flexible in their movement and ability (rock mech) but yeah, it definitely seems like it'd be difficult to do. Remember that you can make the character invisible so it could work pretty well for most games, if 'cheating' a little.

I guess you could simply copy brain functions from your characters individual joints and attach them to props.

KingEric7

Never thought of that. So with Rock Mech you could create a massive character, make him invisible, and then attach objects to the invisible limbs... That would make it somewhat fittingly mechanical in its movement. Harder task to make the movement more fluid but it'll surely be possible.

Ideal scenario is that, by the end of the first couple of years or so, they'll have released DLC or free updates which add tools for some of the really hard stuff. A bit like how they responded to the auto-aim request.

Alock1

World Wizard and a bunch of default brains, to show just what you could do with little brain 'koding'.

Sounds interesting.

Alock1

EDIT:

Oh wow.. KingEric, dude, this is absolutely brilliant. Spoilers follow, technically that doesn't matter - but if you don't read the below spoiler, trust in me that you NEED to watch it, then you'll be wowed.

Ok so in the stream from the post before this, you get to see World Wizard which is a tool to get a cool world in no time at all ready for you to jump in and start working on gameplay. We see a bunch of default brains and how easy you could get stuff going with little work.

From this stream - you get to see a mode called 'Crossroads'. You pick a world type, mess with a load of options (Mountain terrain with Forest Trees and Snow tops at night time) - it fills the world, and then asks you what genre of game you'd like to make.

First, they choose the Adventure mode. The other options right now are Defense or Rebuilding game.

Once the terrain is laid you get to choose a few buildings, sort of a starting area, and 'crossroads' randomly spout out in different directions.

Next, you get the opportunity to pick your champion - essentially, these are fully fledged classes, Ranger and Berzerker are the current options but we're promised many more in the future. The Ranger guy has the ability to have a decoy (think Halo, sending a clone out to distract) and some other skills/weapon abilities.

Now - you're in the level with control of your character, you have a '?'s around the map which you can run to and it'll be a placement marker for a building, an NPC quest, enemies - etc.etc. You're really playing as you go, just like you would an actual game.

There are teleports about which take you back to the starting area, you can upgrade your shit whenever you want as you go etc.
There's this brilliant wishing well mechanic, where you can gamble your coins and wish - you could pick for it to surprise you if you 'win' (essentially a dice roll) or have it so you pick your reward.

I'm gonna stop now, everybody needs to watch this. I'm not quite half way through this stream, I haven't seen the other genres done yet.

This game keeps on surprising, it's so impressive. People should really pay this more attention, because it's probably the most ambitious game I've ever seen and yet it's hitting every note it aims for.

The Alpha has been taken down, so Beta will start in the next week or two - which is open for all on Windows 8.1.

By far the most impressive stream I've watched - and considering just how fantastic Swan Song was, that says alot.

EDIT: I just finished the full stream.. Unbelievable, seriously.

Alock1

Some guy called Eric from Xbox/MS who has the first Xbox Live Gamertag, 'e' joins the Project Spark team for his first hands-on with the game and creates a Tower Defense game.

Will be interesting to see somebody pick up the game for the first time and see what they can do.

Found out from the comments that the prop limit for your world is 2,500. :drool:

Alock1

The new stream isn't up yet and I haven't seen it, but I've managed to gather some tidbits of information from others that were said in the stream.

So, you can unlock assets and content by playing and creating in Project Spark - the more you play and create, the more daily challenges you meet, the more you progress the more content you'll unlock. Or, you could be lazy, skip this and buy the content/assets with money.

That's cool - I like that. You aren't forced to pay, and any time you invest into Project Spark will be rewarded by unlocking items which would otherwise be monetized.

The concern comes with playing games that have assets/content that you don't own. Each day, you have 20 minutes of 'Spark Time' to play games which have content that you haven't yourself unlocked. Once those 20 minutes are up, if you want to play more that day you would either; go and spend more time playing/creating where you can and unlocking the content, buy the content so you could play it, or buy more 'Spark Time'.

So, basically, if I make a cool level and use assets/content that I've either unlocked with hard work or bought; only other people who have unlocked/bought them can use them for more than 20 minutes a day. Seems too restrictive, especially since for some Project Spark will simply be a gaming hub where they don't want to create but simply enjoy the creations from others.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
that 20 minute spark time sounds really bad. So you can't even play games that have bought particular props basically. Basically limiting your playing audience and then forcing you to sink lots of time or money into it to play the better games. As lets be honest the bigger and better games are going to have the unlocked content.

I would have thought sure can't build with blocks you don't own, but you could play any game you want regardless of how it was made. This is making it sound like they are going to be just trying to drain more and more cash from people. Makes me a little nervous to say the least.

Alock1

Thing is, they've nailed the creation side of it. There's an incentive for people to put time and effort in, you unlock content to create with and to play with - that's awesome. The people who are putting the most into Project Spark in terms of gameplay will get a cheaper (perhaps free) ride. This is awesome news for somebody like me, willing to sink hours into this game.

It probably won't affect me much directly, but I'm going to constantly have in my head that I want to reach the widest audience possible. I'm going to start limiting myself to what props I can use, and wanting to make sure it can all be done within 20 minutes even if somebody dies/fails/restarts etc.
If it was an hour per day, it wouldn't be so bad - but 20 minutes is incredibly stingy.

They've been really open in general, and I know that they do take on board feedback, so I'm hoping that this is something they'll address.

Gonna watch the stream now, lots of people saying it's the best stream yet. I understand people are happy about being able to level, progress, get achievements, do daily challenges and not pay as a result - but I'm surprised more people don't care about the limited playing time.

Alock1

To update, the above stream was pretty cool. The progression and leveling is cool - and the more you create/play, the more downloads/remixes you get, the more you contribute to creations then the more credits you will receive and content unlocked without spending a penny. It really is a good system in terms of the creation site; and they're definitely aware that people could be concerned with having to spend ridiculous amounts of money/time to get anywhere with the game and they want to show that that isn't the case.

Still, I'm mightily concerned about this limited play time. I really feel like my potential audience for any game (that I'll probably never finished) is limited now; I'm constantly going to want to be careful that everybody can access my level. Or if I ignore it and do use content that has to be unlocked, I'll feel like I'll have to limit my game to make sure that it isn't too long as it's fighting against every other Project Spark game for the 20 minutes that the majority of gamers will have to play it.

It's a dilemma for me, I'm really hoping that their openness with the community will help to resolve this though. They said numerous times that how they work this f2p in terms of payments and tokens and credits and content and what not is negotiable; they're interested in what the community wants and how beta goes. Whether that's all fluff or not - we'll see I guess.

Anyway, new stream - community manager from Halo gets her first hands on with the game and makes some FPS from scratch.

Alock1

Puzzle game and Fighting game shown off. Will update with thoughts later.

KingEric7

Up to the content packs now....feck me this is mouthwatering. feck Spark Time, but that Crossroads is ridiculous. What a great idea for a mode that is.

Not long until the Beta now. :D

Alock1

Up to the content packs now....feck me this is mouthwatering. feck Spark Time, but that Crossroads is ridiculous. What a great idea for a mode that is.

Not long until the Beta now. :D
Mike wrote a response to Neogaf on the subject. He's the community manager (I think), you know, the bald guy from the videos.

The basic idea behind economy is that we want to reward people for playing, creating, and sharing. As a general rule, you must own a content pack in order to play or remix UGC that contains items from that pack. We came up with Spark Time to help allow users to have some free time to play anything, even if they don't own the content, in the hopes that it will inspire them to get that content.

We also allow people to make their account "Spark Powered", which is essentially like premium. It allows people unlimited access to playing any UGC, even if they do not own the content used it in. It also provides a bonus to XP and a bonus to credits earned.

Purchases can be made with either credits (earned in-game currency) or tokens (purchased currency). We don't currently have any token-only items for sale, but we may or may not have some in the future. We're still balancing all the numbers, and will continue to do so throughout beta, but you will be able to spend credits to purchase content packs, as well as Spark Power.

We have challenges that are good way to earn credits and xp. Some of the challenges reset daily, meaning that you could ultimately decide to complete them each day to accumulate credits to more or less keep you in a perpetual state of Spark Power. The devil will be in the balance details.

One of our goals is to nudge players into being creators, so there are challenges focused on playing Crossroads and creating simple things. Someone who wanted to just play UGC for free, would very likely end up doing the crossroads and creation challenges for the credit rewards, which (we hope), will get them hooked on the creation side of things.

Hope that helps provide a general overview of what we're hoping for. Obviously, beta is all about testing and balancing all these things and keeping with the spirit and core philosophy of the game, so everything is subject to change.

-Mike

Alock1

Here's a short intro trailer for the beta!

-- And then, a stream which shows 'the making of' the trailer!