g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Protest planned ahead of the Liverpool game

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I will be there tonight, don’t have a ticket (don’t even want one after going to the same fixture last season) but looking forward to getting involved and having a few cans and a sing. I couldnt give a toss about the game- it doesn’t even feel like a match day.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Leaves the Tollgate at 7pm

30 mins to late IMO, I know plenty are heading to the ground a bit earlier.
Agree with that - getting fans on the forecort by 7pm was the way to go, Tollgate doesnt work for everyone

Timing and route of the march for Brighton was also poorly thought out so numbers were relatively low from what I saw

Not a big fan of The1958 but you dont need to agree with everything they say to get involved - gets some prematch atmosphere going if nothing else

I’m assuming that Joel has gone back to Florida and won’t be attending this one.
Joel hasnt been in Manchester for years - it was Avram who was at Brighton match

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I will be there tonight, don’t have a ticket (don’t even want one after going to the same fixture last season) but looking forward to getting involved and having a few cans and a sing. I couldnt give a toss about the game- it doesn’t even feel like a match day.
Good man.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Agree with that - getting fans on the forecort by 7pm was the way to go, Tollgate doesnt work for everyone

Timing and route of the march for Brighton was also poorly thought out so numbers were relatively low from what I saw

Not a big fan of The1958 but you dont need to agree with everything they say to get involved - gets some prematch atmosphere
Only problem with forecourt from 7pm means it almost definetly boots off with Liverpool fans getting into the away end.

That would be a bit of a disaster for the protest.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Amazing support! Proud of fans like you :)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Not a big fan of The1958 but you dont need to agree with everything they say to get involved - gets some prematch atmosphere going if nothing else

Joel hasnt been in Manchester for years - it was Avram who was at Brighton match
Ah my bad - same rhetorical question for Avram then.

Water Melon

Well done mate. good for you and all of Utd fans hopefully. GlazersOut#

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'll be joining in... Does help that I park by the Tollgate and as luck would have it will probably arrive at 7pm :nervous:

Unless someone crashes on the M62 or something, which lets be honest, has a decent chance of happening.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I'll be joining in... Does help that I park by the Tollgate and as luck would have it will probably arrive at 7pm :nervous:

Unless someone crashes on the M62 or something, which lets be honest, has a decent chance of happening.
Wouldn't put it past the Glazers causing one on purpose

AlexUTD

Have a peaceful and safe protest my friends :D

Sushi Kagawa

#mufc have cancelled a planned pre-match meeting at The Lowry Hotel this afternoon at short notice due to security fears #mulive [@liamcorless]

A source says #mufc security staff are expecting tonight's protest to be 'a big one' #mulive [@liamcorless]

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is the big event today, the game (if it happens) is probably foregone conclusion.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Looks like the Glazer shills continue to worm their way through into the conversation
A fairly insulting slur to be honest. I want the Glazers gone. The protest as outlined in the tweet by the 58 group has potential to be embarrassing. If the protest doesn’t result in a postponement, it’s a waste of time.

Real Name

A fairly insulting slur to be honest. I want the Glazers gone. The protest as outlined in the tweet by the 58 group has potential to be embarrassing. If the protest doesn’t result in a postponement, it’s a waste of time.
So let me get this right, it will be embarrassing (ugh that word again) if it doesnt get the game postponed?

Gee Male

So let me get this right, it will be embarrassing (ugh that word again) if it doesnt get the game postponed?
I'd distance myself from the word embarrassing that the other poster used, but if the protest is to have any impact then I think postponement might be required. This could attract 10,000 people singing songs and protesting peacefully and that might not get more than a passing reference on the news - something more is needed to move the needle here.

I'm not advocating Woodstock 99, but this needs to be newsworthy internationally - and blockading a team bus to force a postponement is about the most peaceful way I can think of achieving that.

MarylandMUFan

I'd distance myself from the word embarrassing that the other poster used, but if the protest is to have any impact then I think postponement might be required. This could attract 10,000 people singing songs and protesting peacefully and that might not get more than a passing reference on the news - something more is needed to move the needle here.

I'm not advocating Woodstock 99, but this needs to be newsworthy internationally - and blockading a team bus to force a postponement is about the most peaceful way I can think of achieving that.
:D That bold part made me laugh. I am torn on this, I want change but I also don't want anyone to get hurt or for it to go too far (and I am not sure how change happens unless it's something big).

SuperiorXI

Wasn't this what happened after the ESL and was one of the reasons it got shit canned?

saik

Everyone who is going, be safe and please make it a peaceful protest.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Its already on the news and it hasnt even started yet !

Anyone expecting a repeat of the ESL protest will be disappointed - the club/police were ill prepared that day, will be very different today

b82REZ

Getting the game cancelled will have a negative impact.

The press will have a field day and the purpose of the protests will be undermined and ignored by the game being stopped.

I do have a niggling feeling that some will ruin this and start vandalising or fighting. I'm on the fence about turning up tonight because there are already mummerings that there may be groups looking to cause trouble.

SuperiorXI

The press will have a field day and the purpose of the protests will be undermined and ignored by the game being stopped.

I do have a niggling feeling that some will ruin this and start vandalising or fighting. I'm on the fence about turning up tonight because there are already mummerings that there may be groups looking to cause trouble.
Starting to get a bit on the fence myself. I don't want to get caught up in a crowd where it starts kicking off.

userman

I absolutely disagree. There needs to be a significant and noteable effect in order to rock the Glazers boat. They won't care if there's only a protest, as it wont affect them at all, it's only when/if we can affect their revenuestreams and proper media-coverage on the cause they will be affected. Same goes for the press, it will barely be sidenote for the protests if there's no consequences of them.

Real Name

Starting with things like that might lead to violence in no time. Then again 10.000 people in one place could easily lead to that even without blocking the bus.
As for other things, the whole protest is already all over the media and hasn't even started. If the protests will be a regular thing it will be in the news even if peaceful every time.

b82REZ

Starting to get a bit on the fence myself. I don't want to get caught up in a crowd where it starts kicking off.
Protests will always attract dickheads that only want to cause trouble.

By the time the march to OT they'll be hundreds who will have been drinking all day, pair the booze and the righteous indignation and it's a recipe for trouble. The supporters groups needed to work together better to have a unified voice and plan, that will also help reduce the chance of mavericks using the protests as cover to kick off.

Gee Male

@Rood @Real Name

The protest is already being covered on the news, but that's only in anticipation of something big and in view of what happened with the ESL protest. If this doesn't now match expectations or hype, then it will be reported as a damp squib and the Glazers will even see it as a win.

The coverage in advance is good, but only if the fans live up to the billing. A march and songs isn't going to do that, not from an international news perspective anyway.

Again, I want this to be peaceful, so a blockade is about as good as it gets in my mind. That would set the context for news coverage of the march.

b82REZ

I absolutely disagree. There needs to be a significant and noteable effect in order to rock the Glazers boat. They won't care if there's only a protest, as it wont affect them at all, it's only when/if we can affect their revenuestreams and proper media-coverage on the cause they will be affected. Same goes for the press, it will barely be sidenote for the protests if there's no consequences of them.
Worked a treat last time didn't it...

Any violence or disruption will only undermine the real message. You're incredibly naive if you think otherwise.

Real Name

@Rood @Real Name

The protest is already being covered on the news, but that's only in anticipation of something big and in view of what happened with the ESL protest. If this doesn't now match expectations or hype, then it will be reported as a damp squib and the Glazers will even see it as a win.

The coverage in advance is good, but only if the fans live up to the billing. A march and songs isn't going to do that, not from an international news perspective anyway.

Again, I want this to be peaceful, so a blockade is about as good as it gets in my mind. That would set the context for news coverage of the march.
Agreed.
Just as there's no pitch invasion and crowd trouble. I'm sure stadium security will be tight this time as opposed to ESL protest when it seems anybody can enter the stadium.