Protest planned before Norwich game

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The protests will force a debate in the media for a few hours or so when this is headline news, before they move onto something new, be it Chelsea being bought or something else, the debate in regards to the Glazers will be over in a day or so, this isn't defeatist, this is just the reality of modern 24 hour media, where they crave "new".
A protest that happened yesterday to them won't be leading any headlines, once it becomes yesterday.

Sadly the only people that hold the power are the shareholders, and the people with the most, and the ones with most voting rights are the Glwzers, so they will do what is in their own best interests, for as long as they want to do so.
A tiny fraction of the overall worldwide fan base being outside Old Trafford for a small amount of time, means nothing to them, with respect there will be far more fans not at the protest, then will be there joining in, as there are a lot of people overseas who won't be involved.

So thinking these protests have any long term impact is somewhat being a fair bit egotistical.

As long as the money is rolling in, and it very much still is, from all over the globe, them that is what is important to them.

I know people want to feel empowered, want to feel a sense of worth towards the club, but that really sadly isn't the case anymore.

It is very disheartening, very much soul crushing, but without having the whole of the fan base on board, from all around the world, in one voice, all having the same ideals, be it a new stadium for the women's team, more investment in the women's team, upgrading the facilities at Old Trafford, the share scheme, or putting on coaches to Leigh Sports Village and back, whatever, we need to speak in one voice, if there is even a small remote chance of making them make any significant changes.
Because right now, we are very much splintered, we have fans attacking other fans, we have groups attacking other groups etc.
Divided we fall and all that.

Until we can ALL come together with one voice, then having random protests, where nothing changes, with just a token number of people, then they will remain ego trips for those involved.
Continued action creates news constantly and that is what is mooted, continued action.

As for the bolded part - that's why this group want change.

As for the splintered factions- that part is true and again it has been stated several times by this group that they want to bring a disunited fan base together hence their reach out to MUST and TRA.

You seem to have already made up your mind regarding this, I suggest just waiting to see what becomes of these actions.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I agree with a lot of what your saying, and I am a little perturbed by some of the 1958s videos and ideals, but I do think it is important for MUST and TRA to pin a flag to a mast in this.

If all supporter groups are singing off the same hymn sheer then it creates a bigger entity for the owners to deal with.

I believe the main aim of this protest is to highlight the lack of clarity and resolution in the super League promises, albeit tinged heavily with an anti glazer stance.
And also to raise awareness of the way United are being run.
MUST did actually send out a statement to members last week clarifying their position on protests, fan share scheme, Glazers etc - I assume you will be able to find it on their website or socials

TRA meanwhile are in a difficult position since they need to work with the club to get the best for fans inside the stadium and improve atmosphere etc (and they have actually done a good job of doing that) so thats probably why you wont see official statements from them even if they do support many of the aims

Thats the thing - its easy to put our statements like The 1958 have when you are an anonymous group but its totally different for MUST or TRA who need to work with the club on certain matters to get the best deal for supporters

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This or other protests will not change anything, that is the real reality.
Although I do understand much of cynicism, this is not actually true since the protests last year did lead to several changes: expanded Fans Forum, Joel Glazer faced the fans for the first time ever, promised Fans Share Scheme etc

But it wasnt enough which is why its coming back again

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
MUST did actually send out a statement to members last week clarifying their position on protests, fan share scheme, Glazers etc - I assume you will be able to find it on their website or socials

TRA meanwhile are in a difficult position since they need to work with the club to get the best for fans inside the stadium and improve atmosphere etc (and they have actually done a good job of doing that) so thats probably why you wont see official statements from them even if they do support many of the aims

Thats the thing - its easy to put our statements like The 1958 have when you are an anonymous group but its totally different for MUST or TRA who need to work with the club on certain matters to get the best deal for supporters
I missed that from MUST, will check it out, I am not on twitter/facebook etc so don't see their statements via socials and haven't seen anything on their website as of yet.

I get that both are under different responsibilities (if that's the correct parlance to use) than an anonymous group, but then that is part of the issue, moreso the TRA, as I still feel MUST is still a largely independent group with a view for majority fan ownership.
The TRA as good as they are, seem to be affiliated and more aligned with what the club wants them to do rather than being independent as you pointed out.

The big issue I guess is this protest needs everyone to be on the same page for maximum results and it's up to MUST and TRA to define what side they stand on in order to move forward.

Maticmaker

Protest ...Green and Gold/yellow scarfs all round, I expect!

Anybody care to state what sort of game they expect this is going to be?

Can't quite get my head around it, are our boys too far gone to give a toss, will Norwich play it cagey, try to get us frustrated, then pile in for last twenty minutes if its still 0-0, or will they read the body language of our players and get stuck in?

Is ETH coming or what? Leipzig are supposed to be sniffing around now, what will Ralf tell Eric?

Will any of our players be playing for their place in the team against Liverpool, next Tuesday, or will it be just the opposite... sorry boss, I'm going to get injured today, don't pick me for Tuesday... no, no... I really mean it!!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I missed that from MUST, will check it out, I am not on twitter/facebook etc so don't see their statements via socials and haven't seen anything on their website as of yet.

I get that both are under different responsibilities (if that's the correct parlance to use) than an anonymous group, but then that is part of the issue, moreso the TRA, as I still feel MUST is still a largely independent group with a view for majority fan ownership.
The TRA as good as they are, seem to be affiliated and more aligned with what the club wants them to do rather than being independent as you pointed out.

The big issue I guess is this protest needs everyone to be on the same page for maximum results and it's up to MUST and TRA to define what side they stand on in order to move forward.
Actually had a quick look and seems MUST havent put it on the website - there was a fair bit of info but this is the most relevant bit for this thread:

Will MUST support any protest?
MUST has publicised EVERY major protest in the last 20 years but we have also rightly declined to promote many too. We have always applied criteria to support for such protests and they include - firstly what is the objective? Is it in line with the objects of our organisation? Will it be lawful and peaceful? Is the aim achievable? Are the people promoting it credible and able to command wide support? Can they be trusted in their intentions and motivation? Do they have a track record or are they potentially fly-by-nights who’ve come from nowhere and will likely disappear? And in the end - most importantly - will it command the support of our members?​

jem

Glazers Out, don’t make me laugh.
They own the fekkin club. They can’t be forced out.
What‘s the protest trying to achieve?
Telling the world we don’t like the owners of the club?
That’s not exactly news to anyone.
Sorry lads, but it’s a total nonsense and a completely self defeating, futile exercise.
It won’t bother them one bit and the players, who should be the butt of our current frustrations, get off scot free.
Probably cheered when they put in another shite performance.

We’re an embarrassment at the moment. Protesting at this time wil just make Utd look an even bigger joke.
It’ll just set us up nicely for the humiliating hammering we’ll be getting at Anfield, 3 days later.
At first I thought this some kind of poem or song lyrics.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

So they’re protesting because the team isn’t winning games..?

sewey89

It surprises me posters still question why we protest the Glazers
What is this protest for? I have no problem with protests, if there is a clear reason. What are these asking for, because the timing and the banner seems to suggest that it’s better results which are being asked for.

Again, I don’t think the Glazers have been that bad since the Liverpool protests

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What is this protest for? I have no problem with protests, if there is a clear reason. What are these asking for, because the timing and the banner seems to suggest that it’s better results which are being asked for.

Again, I don’t think the Glazers have been that bad since the Liverpool protests
We've protested in 05 and in periods we were winning.

Have you stopped to think its related to our state on and off the field looking worse as the season progressed since the Glazers promised better communication and more focus on the club?

Tango80

I get why we're protesting. The mess of a club structure, state of the stadium the length of time it takes to sort anything, the super league fiasco, the lack of engagement with the fans....I could go on.

Some people protest about lack of money spent on the squad which is weird. I've never had a problem with them there as we statistically do. I just hope we protest based on stuff that is fact like the above.

Same with the argument that they havent put a penny into the club. The club is self sufficient in that we make enough to cover transfers wages etc ourselves. Surely no owner realistically would need to put a penny into the club?

Last edited:

sewey89

We've protested in 05 and in periods we were winning.

Have you stopped to think its related to our state on and off the field looking worse as the season progressed since the Glazers promised better communication and more focus on the club?
The protests in 05 were about how the club was bought. And had a clear message. This doesn’t, which is proven by your response.

You’re blaming the Glazers for this season? After they backed the manager and then sacked the manager when results weren't good?

Also, “have you stopped to think” came across as unnecessarily patronising. Let’s not go down that route please.

sewey89

I get why we're protesting. The mess of a club structure, state of the stadium the length of time it takes to sort anything, the super league fiasco, the lack of engagement with the fans....I could go on.

Some people protest about lack of money spent on the squad which is weird. I've never had a problem with them there as we statistically do. I just hope we protest based on stuff that is fact like the above.
4 of the things you’ve listed have been addressed though, haven’t they? And the other one just seems a bit impatient? I’ll never forgive the way they bought the club and ran it into the ground, but since those protests last year, there seems to have been a noticeable difference in their approach. I don’t think they’ll sell, as we still make money. I just think any protest without a clear message that isn’t “Sell the club” is always going to fall a bit flat and will never get big numbers, in my opinion

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The protests in 05 were about how the club was bought. And had a clear message. This doesn’t, which is proven by your response.

You’re blaming the Glazers for this season? After they backed the manager and then sacked the manager when results weren't good?

Also, “have you stopped to think” came across as unnecessarily patronising. Let’s not go down that route please.
There is a lot of promise from the Glazers that had been left unfulfilled. The biggest one being centered around better communication and better fan representation on the board, and none of that has materialised.

Joel Glazer has allowed the club to be terribly run and any protest isnt just because of the bad results but the fact that a toxic and disjointed environment has festered in the club for a decade now.

Its rather annoying to hear fans boil down any protests as a "just because we arent winning right now" thing. There are severe issues on and off the field, there are promises unfulfilled that arent even a year old.

sewey89

There is a lot of promise from the Glazers that had been left unfulfilled. The biggest one being centered around better communication and better fan representation on the board, and none of that has materialised.

Joel Glazer has allowed the club to be terribly run and any protest isnt just because of the bad results but the fact that a toxic and disjointed environment has festered in the club for a decade now.

Its rather annoying to hear fans boil down any protests as a "just because we arent winning right now" thing. There are severe issues on and off the field, there are promises unfulfilled that arent even a year old.
I thought there had been some communication with fan groups and there was representation now (MUST and another one?) I might be wrong.

On your last point, whenever the team isn’t winning and a protest is organised on the back of a particularly bad defeat, then you’re always going to risk that condemnation, unless you have a clear message and attainable goal for people to get behind

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Bet the Glazers are on the Phone to the Newcastle owners asking how to get rid of people who oppose you without any repercussion.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'll never turn my nose up at any protests against the Glazers. It's weird that anyone would.

Goodluck to them.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The same as always. Nothing.
Yep but then again, at least they're doing something?

The long term questions are:

Do we try and bring about change within the Glazers?

If not, do we:

Accept that the only alternative is essentially a billionaire that might spend money on new players, bring in a better structure etc but could be a bit dodgy ethically?

Or do we focus attention on bringing about wider changes and start to put pressure on the FA etc but also accept that this is a longer term campaign and requires more effort from fans and a better version of MUST?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
4 of the things you’ve listed have been addressed though, haven’t they? And the other one just seems a bit impatient? I’ll never forgive the way they bought the club and ran it into the ground, but since those protests last year, there seems to have been a noticeable difference in their approach. I don’t think they’ll sell, as we still make money. I just think any protest without a clear message that isn’t “Sell the club” is always going to fall a bit flat and will never get big numbers, in my opinion
I think there just protesting because of how bad the team is doing, they’ll always blame the glazers even though there trying to make amends. The protest at carrington was mainly aimed at the players and rightly so… the protest only happen whenever we’re losing though, when we win games it buys the glazers a bit of peace and no one ever protests then. Just sounds like some of the fan base are babies. If there going to protest for a specific reason then it needs to be winning or losing not just when we’re losing.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Yep but then again, at least they're doing something?

The long term questions are:

Do we try and bring about change within the Glazers?

If not, do we:

Accept that the only alternative is essentially a billionaire that might spend money on new players, bring in a better structure etc but could be a bit dodgy ethically?

Or do we focus attention on bringing about wider changes and start to put pressure on the FA etc but also accept that this is a longer term campaign and requires more effort from fans and a better version of MUST?
Unless everybody is willing to give up their season tickets and empty OT every week nothing will change. I realised a while ago that anybody who was truly taking a stance against them fecked off to form a new club in 2005 or they haven't stepped foot in OT since the takeover. There isn't going to be a protest that will force the Glazers to sell. They're currently planning a redevelopment of the ground so there's next to no chance they will be selling anyway.

We know how this will be play out. A few protests will happen then the summer will come, we'll sign a few players everybody will get excited for the new season and then nothing. It's exactly what happened last year. A perfect time to protest would've been the start of the season when we were signing Varane and Ronaldo but everyone thought we were possibly in for a good season so nobody bothered.

The Irish Connection

The amount of so called fans on here who make excuses for the Glazers and criticize protests is really bizarre.

Fair play to everyone involved in these protests.

To say our recruitment of the last 10 plus years has been good is just bonkers.

MUW4Eva

The amount of so called fans on here who make excuses for the Glazers and criticize protests is really bizarre.

Fair play to everyone involved in these protests.

To say our recruitment of the last 10 plus years has been good is just bonkers.
Why is it bizarre??

Protests don't do much apart from satisfying the ego's of those that turn up to them.

Do you honestly think a few flares being let off, and a few chants, and a few bedsheets will change the owners mind, whilst they are in America??

There really is no point to them, unless it is with one clear message, not all of these ones with different messages, some attacking the players, some attacking the Glazers, some doing something else....

All of these confusing messages are just pointless.

There needs to be clear aims first of all, if it is to get the ownersto sell, then no point protesting without the knowledge that there is someone or some group that will have access to around about 7 or 8 billion, to do everything that is needed (tempt the Glazers to sell, build a new women's team stadium, upgrade fully, or build a new Old Trafford, have transfer funds for the women's and men's sides, have funds to cover wages of all employees etc etc), which right now, is highly unlikely.

So then, if the protests are just about trying to get the Glazers to change the way that they operate, then there needs to be a clear idea of what or how we would like them to operate....offer a share scheme, provide equal transfer funds for the women's and men's teams, what else??

Without such clarification or clarity, then all of these protests are simply pointless and completely irrelevant.
There needs to be clear goals that are easily identifiable.

The Irish Connection

Why is it bizarre??

Protests don't do much apart from satisfying the ego's of those that turn up to them.

Do you honestly think a few flares being let off, and a few chants, and a few bedsheets will change the owners mind, whilst they are in America??

There really is no point to them, unless it is with one clear message, not all of these ones with different messages, some attacking the players, some attacking the Glazers, some doing something else....

There needs to be clear aims first of all, if it is to get the ownersto sell, then no point protesting without the knowledge that there is someone or some group that will have access to around about 7 or 8 billion, to do everything that is needed (tempt the Glazers to sell, build a new women's team stadium, upgrade fully, or build a new Old Trafford, have transfer funds for the women's and men's sides, have funds to cover wages of all employees etc etc), which right now, is highly unlikely.

So then, if the protests are just about trying to get the Glazers to change the way that they operate, then there needs to be a clear idea of what or how we would like them to operate....offer a share scheme, provide equal transfer funds for the women's and men's teams, what else??

Without such clarification or clarity, then all of these protests are simply pointless and completely irrelevant.
You must be a rival fan on the wind up?

The Irish Connection

Why is it bizarre??

How is it about the ‘egos’ of those involved? If anything, it’s the opposite to that. People getting up off their arse and taking time and effort to do something about the club that they love.

MUW4Eva

You must be a rival fan on the wind up?
I most definitely am not, I might not be the oldest or most long term fan here, since I only started supporting the club in about 1990ish, but a staunch supporter I most definitely am.

I am hugely passionate about this club, so I thank you very much to not put any assertions about where my loyalties lye.

MUW4Eva

How is it about the ‘egos’ of those involved? If anything, it’s the opposite to that. People getting up off their arse and taking time and effort to do something about the club that they love.
And then posting about it all over social media for likes, views, subscribers etc etc.

Without soild aims, to which all fans can get behind, then just chanting something, letting off a flare or two, whilst doing so live on their YouTube, Instagram or whatever account, isn't doing anything to change things at the club, and whilst satisfying on a personal level, cathartic even, it is still there to satisfy the person's own ego.

Irwin99

So they’re protesting because the team isn’t winning games..?
It'd be funny if they meant "you're literally not fit to wear the shirt". Given our teams aversion to actually running on a football pitch it wouldn't be wrong.

The Irish Connection

And then posting about it all over social media for likes, views, subscribers etc etc.

Without soild aims, to which all fans can get behind, then just chanting something, letting off a flare or two, whilst doing so live on their YouTube, Instagram or whatever account, isn't doing anything to change things at the club, and whilst satisfying on a personal level, cathartic even, it is still there to satisfy the person's own ego.
I don't think all would post about it online, I know if I was there, I wouldn't, but might retweet the organizers. but so what if they post about it online, it's all advertising and publicity for the cause. gets people talking about it, potentially gets media attention which is the aim.

it definitely is doing something to change the problems at the club. liverpool's supporters helped force their previous crap owners out and look where they are now. that's to be respected and shows that protests can affect change.

the solid aim is to highlight the poor way these owners have run the club, get them to follow up on promises made, change for the better or sell.

the sale of Chelsea has shown that there would be interested parties and we are a bigger club than Chelsea.

flappyjay

Glazers are never leaving. You can never say we haven't been one of the biggest spenders post Sir Alex. Our protests should be more about getting the glazers to actually do something in regards to the football structure. That's an achievable goal. Ask questions like why we offered Mata a contract and then see him make his 1st pl appearance in March whilst paying him a fortune. The way the managers and other people in the football side of things operate is like kids in a candy store, it's mess.

MUW4Eva

I don't think all would post about it online, I know if I was there, I wouldn't, but might retweet the organizers. but so what if they post about it online, it's all advertising and publicity for the cause. gets people talking about it, potentially gets media attention which is the aim.

it definitely is doing something to change the problems at the club. liverpool's supporters helped force their previous crap owners out and look where they are now. that's to be respected and shows that protests can affect change.

the solid aim is to highlight the poor way these owners have run the club, get them to follow up on promises made, change for the better or sell.

the sale of Chelsea has shown that there would be interested parties and we are a bigger club than Chelsea.
Chelsea is a unique situation, not at all comparable to ours.
Their owner is literally being forced to sell the club, and the price to do so is peanuts in comparison to what it would take to buy us.

Liverpool changed owners due to the previous ones being basically bankrupt, if I remember correctly, so it had nothing to do with the fans forcing a change of ownership there.

As for our protests, we have to make up our minds, what do we want? Do we want the Glazers out, or do we want institutional changes, as we can't have both.

If we are after changes, such as the share scheme being actually worthwhile, a new women's stadium, equality between the men's and women's teams, in terms of training facilities and money spent on each, then that would be great to see pushed on them.

But right now, there seems to be a lot of mixed messages, as if no one actually knows what we want, what are the people supposedly protesting tomorrow, protesting about, what is the message there, and what is the end goal that they want??

All of that just seems rather unclear, it all just seems to be a general protest, well general protests don't achieve anything.

Again, they may be cathartic for those involved, but in the grand scheme of things, they are utterly meaningless.

Only when there is a proper and cohesive message, with a clearly defined end point, or end goal, with everyone singing from the same hymn sheet so to speak, will they begin to make any sense or true impact.

Going to Carrington with a bedsheets, that is just an embarrassing mess all round, those people shouldn't have done that, it just paints them in a very bad light.

Them doing that will have zero impact on the rest of our games for the season.

Hammondo

I hate the glazers, what they represent, and what they have done with the club.

I as a fan have no say though, it's not my club, this is not a democracy, this is not political. This is a company, they can do what they want. So I don't get this, just looks a bit childish.

MUW4Eva

Glazers are never leaving. You can never say we haven't been one of the biggest spenders post Sir Alex. Our protests should be more about getting the glazers to actually do something in regards to the football structure. That's an achievable goal. Ask questions like why we offered Mata a contract and then see him make his 1st pl appearance in March whilst paying him a fortune. The way the managers and other people in the football side of things operate is like kids in a candy store, it's mess.
This is it, just standing outside Old Trafford chanting "We Want Glazers Out!!", etc, is completely pointless, and doesn't do any good whatsoever, and is a total embarrassment to us fans in general.

We need to be more proactive in terms of setting out how we would like to see them change their business practices.
Adding coaches to & from LSV for women's and youth team games, if we are to continue to play there for example.
So that we see attendance numbers rise, that would be a great starting point.
From there look at the way the budget for the women's team is drawn up, & what the aims are each season, just so that we know just how serous that they are towards the women's team.

We can also ask about issues to do with the men's team, such as the contractual issue that you raised.

There is a lot that needs to be changed on terms of how they run the club, none of which will be altered by a few people chanting "We Want Glazers Out!!" whilst letting of flares.

Only by having meetings with them, can we ever hope to change anything.
Protests will not work, whilst we have got so many mixed messages.