Gaming PS4 vs Xbox One - The suckiest thread in the history of suckyness

Which one will you buy?

• Total voters

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Bloodborne is about the only truly stellar big name exclusive(and I'm not generally a fan of the style of game), well, I guess you could include TLOU. That said, I don't think the Xbox ones are anything to write home about either.

Tbh, if I was worried about exclusives, I'd be all about the Wii U, Nintendo exclusives are usually the best things on their systems.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
There's been so many good third party games this year that I haven't really missed Sony's exclusives and none of the stuff on the Xbone interest me apart from Tomb Raider which I would probably have bought if it was on PS4 right now. I hate those types of exclusives as Tomb Raider would probably be out for PS4 at the same time if Microsoft didn't swoop in with bags of money at the end

Sony have been poor though. It's like 1 good exclusive in 2 years (Bloodbourne) and then you have Uncharted 4 and GOW 4 which aren't as appealing as a new IP would be

JackXX

Bloodborne is brilliant it's probably going to be my GOTY. Sony seem more focused on 3rd party games but tbf that's probably where the £ is.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's why I've only gone with one console this gen... Exclusives just aren't much of a thing for me, I've barely got enough time to play the games I have, and I'm not going to spend £300 quid for a couple exclusives, which by most accounts aren't anything special anyway. Are you regretting buying a PS4 then @Alock1?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Thing is, a shit load of my favourite games from the past have been console exclusives (or atleast exclusive for some time). I just think exclusives bring out the best games or atleast did.

I wouldn't say I'm regretting the PS4, no - because I have enough friends to play the likes of Fifa with on there to justify it. In terms of exclusives though, most definitely.

Lets be honest though, once the whole preowned shit was passed, most people here said they were picking PS4 for the better exclusives. I got a shit load of stick for saying I thought Xbox had the better line up.

Last edited:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Thing is, a shit load of my favourite games from the past have been console exclusives (or atleast exclusive for some time). I just think exclusives bring out the best games or atleast did.

I wouldn't say I'm regretting the PS4, no - because I have enough friends to play the likes of Fifa with on there to justify it. In terms of exclusives though, most definitely.

Lets be honest though, once the whole preowned shit was passed, most people here said they were picking PS4 for the better exclusives. I got a shit load of stick for saying I thought Xbox had the better line up.
I think a lot of people went for the PS4 because it was more powerful, and that Microsoft's woeful launch of the Xbox One didn't help..

Alock1

I think a lot of people went for the PS4 because it was more powerful, and that Microsoft's woeful launch of the Xbox One didn't help..
I think more powerful, price & the preowned shit is the main reason, I agree. Just what people on here said I mean.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
And no one cared about Kinect apart from Ciderman who claimed it would be revolutionary I think

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Playstation's still 2-1 for me, Bloodborne and THOU over (maybe) Sunset Overdrive.

Bojan11

Xbox just about have the better line up.

Sony got praised for trying new stuff, sadly a lot of the new stuff they did try has flopped.

Microsoft have gone with the usual Gears/Forza/Halo yearly thing. Phil Spencer is clueless if he thinks that is going to get people to buy Xbox one. The people who want the above games have bought one already.

They need to try more stuff like Sunset Overdrive and create more new IPs.

Halo 5 multiplayer is decent. But the campaign is straight up bullshit regarding the plot. That ending should be the middle part of the game. They had a lot of filler missions. Not forgetting the mis leading marketing. For a second there I thought Master Chief went Rogue and Locke went to capture him. But none of that happened.

Buying exclusive rights for tomb raider this year just seems so pointless. They were better off releasing the game in January, so MS actually had something to release then. This strategy of releasing all your games in one period is ridiculous.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
And no one cared about Kinect apart from Ciderman who claimed it would be revolutionary I think
People did care and were warning those buying one on the strength of what MS were saying.

As much as people like to laugh and have a go at the 'internet geeks' who warn about these things, it's always better to be warned than not. Kinect was never going to be what they promised, those games were never going to materialise as they said. It's not about being right or wrong, it's about trying to slow the path gaming is going and actually giving a shit about people being fooled by the ever increasing amounts of bullshit pr.

Redlambs

Xbox just about have the better line up.

Sony got praised for trying new stuff, sadly a lot of the new stuff they did try has flopped.

Microsoft have gone with the usual Gears/Forza/Halo yearly thing. Phil Spencer is clueless if he thinks that is going to get people to buy Xbox one. The people who want the above games have bought one already.

They need to try more stuff like Sunset Overdrive and create more new IPs.

Halo 5 multiplayer is decent. But the campaign is straight up bullshit regarding the plot. That ending should be the middle part of the game. They had a lot of filler missions. Not forgetting the mis leading marketing. For a second there I thought Master Chief went Rogue and Locke went to capture him. But none of that happened.

Buying exclusive rights for tomb raider this year just seems so pointless. They were better off releasing the game in January, so MS actually had something to release then. This strategy of releasing all your games in one period is ridiculous.
I agree with all this.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
People did care and were warning those buying one on the strength of what MS were saying.

As much as people like to laugh and have a go at the 'internet geeks' who warn about these things, it's always better to be warned than not. Kinect was never going to be what they promised, those games were never going to materialise as they said. It's not about being right or wrong, it's about trying to slow the path gaming is going and actually giving a shit about people being fooled by the ever increasing amounts of bullshit pr.
What I meant was that people didn't care enough about Kinect to spend £430 on a Xbone over a PS4 at £350.

Alock1

Better to release in the holidays than none at all (Sony). In fairness, they kinda had to this year. You can't really deny them Halo, their biggest release, being a holiday option. Tomb Raider they wanted to make the most of the year exclusivity - there's no way that if they released it at start of 2016 that they'd have been able to extend their exclusivity into 2017. For all we know, Square might have insisted it came out this holiday.

Forza - what can they do? Release it any later/earlier and it's too close to Forza Horizon 2 or 3.

Next year though should have a much better spread - Quantum Break, Scalebound, Horizon 3, Gears 4, Crackdown 3 - bound to be more too.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I read Tomb Raider sold like 60k units in the UK. Was a bit mad to release it on the same day as Fallout (and with COD and Star Wars out within a week or so)

What's the point in making use of years exclusivity if it's gonna sell so poorly when released in November. Shame if it's sold so bad considering it sounds like a really good game. I remember Square Enix saying that the previous tomb raider sold disappointedly at 5m (I think) and this sounds like it's done a lot worse.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This seems like the thread for this thought..

Given Xbox One's name, and what Microsoft has done with Windows 10, and Xbox One getting 360 Backwards compatibility...

Does anyone else think that the next (major) version of the Xbox will be the Xbox 1.1, and play all the Xbox One's games natively, whilst the PlayStation will move on to the PS5, and probably force everyone to buy the games again, again, again.

Alock1

I read Tomb Raider sold like 60k units in the UK. Was a bit mad to release it on the same day as Fallout (and with COD and Star Wars out within a week or so)

What's the point in making use of years exclusivity if it's gonna sell so poorly when released in November. Shame if it's sold so bad considering it sounds like a really good game. I remember Square Enix saying that the previous tomb raider sold disappointedly at 5m (I think) and this sounds like it's done a lot worse.
It was probably already decided in the deal the period it'd come out around. Probably before Fallout was even announced.

Bojan11

Better to release in the holidays than none at all (Sony). In fairness, they kinda had to this year. You can't really deny them Halo, their biggest release, being a holiday option. Tomb Raider they wanted to make the most of the year exclusivity - there's no way that if they released it at start of 2016 that they'd have been able to extend their exclusivity into 2017. For all we know, Square might have insisted it came out this holiday.

Forza - what can they do? Release it any later/earlier and it's too close to Forza Horizon 2 or 3.

Next year though should have a much better spread - Quantum Break, Scalebound, Horizon 3, Gears 4, Crackdown 3 - bound to be more too.
Sony don't need to release games this period. Uncharted would have not sold as much if it released now. Just like Halo didn't sell as much.

They have Star Wars, Black ops and Fallout selling consoles for them.

Halo 5 didn't need to release in the holiday. Especially when two other shooters in Battlefront and Black Ops are released. I'm also enjoying Rainbow six. It's not as good as the old ones though.

It was Microsoft who insisted tomb raider come out this period so they could have their stupid greatest line up in Xbox history marketing. Same day as Fallout 4 was silly.

Halo is a franchise that is slowly going downhill. It was a big franchise alongside GTA and COD. Now it's not even that anymore. Destiny has overtaken it.

You know they can delay Forza Horizon 3? Releasing a Forza every year is ridiculous. If they releasing a racing game. Why not release a rally game like Rallisport challenge. Or other type of racing games. Even a Banjo racing game.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
This seems like the thread for this thought..

Given Xbox One's name, and what Microsoft has done with Windows 10, and Xbox One getting 360 Backwards compatibility...

Does anyone else think that the next (major) version of the Xbox will be the Xbox 1.1, and play all the Xbox One's games natively, whilst the PlayStation will move on to the PS5, and probably force everyone to buy the games again, again, again.
If the Xbone 2 can play this gen games then Sony would surely have to do the same with the PS5. Don't have the excuse of the Cell architecture being too hard to emulate this time either.

Alock1

I mean nothing at all, at all - not just this period. Uncharted was delayed because it wasn't ready not because of sales. They'd have wanted it before Xmas in an ideal world I'm sure.

Bojan11

I mean nothing at all, at all - not just this period. Uncharted was delayed because it wasn't ready not because of sales. They'd have wanted it before Xmas in an ideal world I'm sure.
The last one didn't sell well when released during xmas. Also I am sure the plan was Spring all along. Otherwise where would the Uncharted collection fit in.

Uncharted makes sense releasing in spring. Games like Dying Light, Batman, Bloodborne and few others show that games can sell in the first six months of the year.

Hence why now every publisher has decided to release games in the first six months of 2016 it seems.

Redlambs

Backwards compatability is a big talking point in the industry this gen. If people buy loads of these releases, they have less and less desire to.

Oh and for the record Sony were going to do BC in the same way MS have this gen but they couldn't get the Cell in at a decent cost and cooling. Though that's pretty well documented in here, so it's not worth going into again.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If the Xbone 2 can play this gen games then Sony would surely have to do the same with the PS5. Don't have the excuse of the Cell architecture being too hard to emulate this time either.
I'm not sure. You would think so, wouldn't you, but at the same time they might just try to play the "we are looking forward not backwards" line again.

I hope our games carry forward in future

Leg-End

I think both have learnt from this gen, backwards compatibility can prop up the library early doors whilst their 1st & 3rd party studios find their feet. The PS4 is doing it right now with huge indie support but PS5 I'd be amazed if they don't have it in from Day 1.

afrocentricity

Maybe... I wouldn't hold ya breath tho. They seem to trying to push in the re-release/remaster direction... And we? seem to be falling for it...

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Yeah, I'm with you. Though Kinect was a big selling point they used, and I'd bet the amount of people using that as the decider is far higher than you think sadly.
I bought my xbone last week, and to be honest Kinect never even entered my brain, i saw no use for it at all. I never got it for the 360 either come to think of it, it just seems like such a pointless thing.

Alock1

I bought my xbone last week, and to be honest Kinect never even entered my brain, i saw no use for it at all. I never got it for the 360 either come to think of it, it just seems like such a pointless thing.
You seem like such a pointless thing. Yet here we are..

Alock1

Yeah, like how you didn't care when we all found out you cheated on the quiz that time

afrocentricity

Kinect had potential initially, before we knew how badly it performed... NSA/Prism stuff didn't help, and I'm glad people reacted the way they did... Will never forget your position at the time @Alock1. I think MS were firmly up your arse at the time and you were drinking whatever cool aid they were serving up... You've mellowed.

Alock1

Kinect had potential initially, before we knew how badly it performed... NSA/Prism stuff didn't help, and I'm glad people reacted the way they did... Will never forget your position at the time @Alock1. I think MS were firmly up your arse at the time and you were drinking whatever cool aid they were serving up... You've mellowed.
I was against the Xbox One until the 180, people forget this

afrocentricity

...but all for government snooping. Shame about Kinect tho...

You'd think it would be a good fit for AR/VR as it goes...

Alock1

...but all for government snooping. Shame about Kinect tho...

You'd think it would be a good fit for AR/VR as it goes...
I'm actually majorly against government snooping, my dissertation was on it last year, but if I defended it it was probably because almost every device currently sold is more than capable of facilitating that stuff that I probably thought it got an unfair ride.

Redlambs

There's no shame in someone wanting to believe the hype and hoping things are as great as they say, as long as they learn their lesson and listen next time ;)

One thing both Cider and Weaste still refuse to learn to this day :lol:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=11561427

Hackers have threatened to ruin Christmas for gamers hoping to spend time playing ever-popular Xboxes and PlayStations for the second year running.

The anonymous threat comes from a group known as the Phantom Squad who have posted a tweet in recent days announcing plans to disrupt Xbox live and PSN networks for a week this Christmas.

Last year a similar hack, by a group called the Lizard Squad, lasted three days over Christmas.

It was brought to an end thanks to a deal brokered by internet mogul Kim Dotcom.

Desperate to play his favourite game Destiny Mr Dotcom offered the hackers a lifetime worth of premium Mega vouchers to end the cyber attack.

But just 12 months later a similar action to take the ever-popular Christmas gift off-line looms.

"We are going to shut down PSN and XBox Live on Christmas. And we are going to keep them down for one week straight," it posted on twitter.

The squad tweeted they chose to taken down PSN and Xbox Live because cyber security did not exist.

This has been roundly condemned by gamers and Dotcom today tweeted he would be more than upset if Sony and Microsoft had not taken necessary steps to upgrade networks from last year.

"Warning @Sony & @Microsoft. You had 1 year to upgrade your networks. If Lizard Squad takes down PSN & XBOX this Xmas, we'll be pissed! " he posted.

Mr Dotcom said if the online games were hacked it would entirely be the tech company's fault as they had been given plenty of time to prepare for a repeat attack.

"I managed to strike a deal with the hackers last year to stop the attack. I doubt I will be able to do it again. I bought Sony and Microsoft time to upgrade their networks. Let's hope they used that time wisely."

A spokesman for Xbox NZ declined to comment. Sony did not respond to requests for comment.

Ok this is all rather annoying news but am I not right in thinking that 'Hacker Group' Phantom Squad and 'Internet Mogul' Kim Dotcom don't seem to understand how a DDoS attack works in warning that Sony & Microsoft should have upgraded their networks? It also has nothing to do with cyber security, which concerns actual hacking.

Is it not pretty much impossible to do anything about a large scale sustained DDoS attack as it uses how the internet works on a fundamental level to overwhelm servers?

Thank feck I'll be playing the Witcher 3 and Uncharted over Christmas anyway :)