Hardware C
Features D
Software C
First-party C

(Maybe 1p goes to B with Ratchet)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Neither, get a PC.

Because despite what the peasants in here think, being part of the master race and actually being able to get benefits of all is befitting of us gaming kings. If you can afford whatever these poor people think is too much, you can also get a gold gaming chair with cup holders and a smug look on your face whilst they suddenly decide to argue about [scoffs] 60-120fps[/scoffs].

Funny thing is, it'll actually be cheaper over time! (But keep that to yourself, better not make the peasants revolt...Elvis is revolting enough as it is...)
I had a top-range PC from 2014 until say 2017, then a decent rig up until I got a Series X at launch. The master race stuff is only really applicable if you have no other responsibilities in life, as a student or otherwise. The games are cheaper, and the graphics better (if you pay the dime), but the time and expense at keeping things updated, dealing with crashes and software issues, trouble shooting etc. It's just so much easier for me to fire up instant-on, quick resume, and be able to play a game on my Series X in 10 seconds. I'm sure it is the same for PlayStation. Simpler, cleaner, slick, and great value for money hardware. Now with gamepass, the software cost is a non-issue for me as well.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
So if I’m going to get myself a new console which is the best one?
Depends how important playing new exclusives are to you. Couple of views from ResetEra's Xbox thread, which is full of people hoping they acquire Sega or WB:

especially when you compare it to the PS5 lineup which is basically Sony's best console launch lineup..........yeah, it's a very massive oof.
Well, my Series X is basically a Game Pass & oldies machine, I don't have a single physical X game yet. The launch is indeed poor.

That said, I don't regret my purchase as I'm saving money thanks to it and I'm optimistic about the 2022/23 first-party wave.
I'd probably suggest taking part in GAME's trade promotion going on now for a Series S, useit as a Game Pass machine then accompany it with a PS5. Best of both worlds, though you can probably afford to get both an X and a PS5 in which case I'd get a PS5 now and a Series X at the tail end off 22/mid 23 when the first party games trickle through.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I had a top-range PC from 2014 until say 2017, then a decent rig up until I got a Series X at launch. The master race stuff is only really applicable if you have no other responsibilities in life, as a student or otherwise. The games are cheaper, and the graphics better (if you pay the dime), but the time and expense at keeping things updated, dealing with crashes and software issues, trouble shooting etc. It's just so much easier for me to fire up instant-on, quick resume, and be able to play a game on my Series X in 10 seconds. I'm sure it is the same for PlayStation. Simpler, cleaner, slick, and great value for money hardware. Now with gamepass, the software cost is a non-issue for me as well.
I was joking mate.

Though I will say the line about "no other responsibilities" is utter bullshit. I have 2 little boys, just got engaged and I'm not exactly rich.

My rig is mostly from 2013, the only thing I've changed in 8 years is the graphics card with I paid £600 for (3070). I run modern games at better than the console equivalents now, plus it's completely backwards compatible and all the games are cheaper.

Despite the common concensus, and doing away from all the jokes for a moment, PC gaming is way more viable than people think and shouldn't even be part of these kinds of threads. But the fact it is is actually a good thing for gamers, as the best things for us all is always choice!

Redlambs

Back to the spirit of the thread, you know what amuses me most about these xbox fanboys?

None of them play the single best game on the system, made by the best development company they ever bought (then proceeded to nearly ruin). The only game that can actually hold a candle to anything on the PS and has graphics that can compare to modern pcs. Funny that.

So yeah, it's all about dumb shooting games they can use their stupid paddles for and be carried on. Plus the odd game released they think is soooo different, yet mediocre (see medium), because they've never played anything other than halo, gears, cod or Forza. And not even the partially sim forza, the arcade dumbed version horizons.

And yet somehow, magically, Bethesda who are now known for shit generic dumbed games, are going to save the day? Really? All we need is Kinect 3.0 to complete the set.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Back to the spirit of the thread, you know what amuses me most about these xbox fanboys?

None of them play the single best game on the system, made by the best development company they ever bought (then proceeded to nearly ruin). The only game that can actually hold a candle to anything on the PS and has graphics that can compare to modern pcs. Funny that.

So yeah, it's all about dumb shooting games they can use their stupid paddles for and be carried on. Plus the odd game released they think is soooo different, yet mediocre (see medium), because they've never played anything other than halo, gears, cod or Forza. And not even the partially sim forza, the arcade dumbed version horizons.

And yet somehow, magically, Bethesda who are now known for shit generic dumbed games, are going to save the day? Really? All we need is Kinect 3.0 to complete the set.
Agree with this but can you let us know what game you're blabbering aboot?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

tldr

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
:lol: you are such a fanboy! (I wouldn't necessarily disagree though, but having said that the guts and controller are worth a B dude, if they are taken advantage of only of course).
Regardless the sheer size and clunkiness (stand), the fan noise and the unreliable controller triggers/sticks take it back down.

I still haven't played a game with good use of the haptics since Astro (didn't play dark souls and haven't played returnal, to be fair)

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Regardless the sheer size and clunkiness (stand), the fan noise and the unreliable controller triggers/sticks take it back down.

I still haven't played a game with good use of the haptics since Astro (didn't play dark souls and haven't played returnal, to be fair)
The haptics add nothing to dark souls unless you like the sound of swords clanking coming from a birthday card sequel. They are great on Returnal though.

Redlambs

The memory set up is actually very good, and the controller really is properly next gen.

But yes, it needs the games to really make use of them. Problem is, doing the whole ps4/pc stuff will hold them back in many ways.

But still, preference aside, since you own both it would be cool to see those capabilities made use of no? Just like, as much as it would suck for gamers, that some games were X only to make full use of the memory advantage.

As for the build, you know I'm a big fan of the X. I'd have it right up there with the Gamecube for form. The PS5 is an abomination on that front :lol:

Redlambs

Redlambs has jumped the shark. Wtf you on about.
Not my fault you don't know. Stick to the pew pews and you'll be fine!

You're mean
I'm really not. Annoying as hell, yes, but in game I'm surprisingly friendly and jovial.

Besides I kind of got you mixed up for that fool veeva, so my bad there.

Alock1

Haven't played Medium but me and my mates are trying 2-3 games a week for multiplayer because of gamepass. It's been absolutely game changing and actually the reason we aren't just playing FIFA and cod.

Outriders, Warhammer Vermintide, World War Z, Deep Rock Galactic, Dead by Daylight, Shadow Warrior, Knockout City, Wreckfest, Overcooked 2, Dead by Daylight

The list goes on and we have tons more we want to move to next (No Man's Sky next on the list)

These are games those mates would have never even considered buying, even in a high discounted sale but it's been mega for us as a group

Means the PS5 is pure dust collecting machine. Think I've put more time into Warhammer 2 and Outriders than the PS5 total.

Alock1

The memory set up is actually very good, and the controller really is properly next gen.

But yes, it needs the games to really make use of them. Problem is, doing the whole ps4/pc stuff will hold them back in many ways.

But still, preference aside, since you own both it would be cool to see those capabilities made use of no? Just like, as much as it would suck for gamers, that some games were X only to make full use of the memory advantage.

As for the build, you know I'm a big fan of the X. I'd have it right up there with the Gamecube for form. The PS5 is an abomination on that front :lol:
Yeah I'd mark it up for the haptics and triggers but until we see more of it then it's very much a nice to have on the odd game here and there that takes advantage. If we can get it to be as good as astro more often, that'd be great.

I was marking it down for the triggers getting sticky/stuck and sticks getting drift or just coming loose randomly

Redlambs

Haven't played Medium but me and my mates are trying 2-3 games a week for multiplayer because of gamepass. It's been absolutely game changing and actually the reason we aren't just playing FIFA and cod.

Outriders, Warhammer Vermintide, World War Z, Deep Rock Galactic, Dead by Daylight, Shadow Warrior, Knockout City, Wreckfest, Overcooked 2, Dead by Daylight

The list goes on and we have tons more we want to move to next (No Man's Sky next on the list)

These are games those mates would have never even considered buying, even in a high discounted sale but it's been mega for us as a group

Means the PS5 is pure dust collecting machine. Think I've put more time into Warhammer 2 and Outriders than the PS5 total.
I agree with some of those.

You and your friends still need to play the best game on it though. My offer still stands to show you the ropes too.

Redlambs

Yeah I'd mark it up for the haptics and triggers but until we see more of it then it's very much a nice to have on the odd game here and there that takes advantage. If we can get it to be as good as astro more often, that'd be great.

I was marking it down for the triggers getting sticky/stuck and sticks getting drift or just coming loose randomly
Luckily enough we haven't had those problems, and my missus is a seriously angry gamer (you really have no idea! :lol:)

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
People moan PC gaming is stupidly overpriced while walking round with £1000 phones in their pockets that they upgrade every two years.
Yes yes, you get them on contracts I know. I can point you in the direction to similar PC deals

Redlambs

People moan PC gaming is stupidly overpriced while walking round with £1000 phones in their pockets that they upgrade every two years.
Yes yes, you get them on contracts I know. I can point you in the direction to similar PC deals
I like it when they don't include the price of the TV, or even playing online, yet insist on adding the cost of a monitor.

Alock1

I like it when they don't include the price of the TV, or even playing online, yet insist on adding the cost of a monitor.
Well.. I reckon, can't be sure, but reckon, most people already have that TV and it's a sunk cost.

Maybe not though. Perhaps just me who had a TV for non gaming related purposes.

Bebe

I like the gamepass (on Xbox, NOT PC), I have both that on Xbox and EA play on PC. Yet I've spoken out against both over the years and will continue to do so.

It's because it's about sign ups and where that leads. People talk shit on those who argue and complain via social media and what not, but it still doesn't change the fact that we should be constantly watching what they do and what we pay for.
I agree that the games as a service thing is ripe for consumer abuse down the road. I don't think I'd ever want to move myself to relying on game pass or any equivalent service solely. If the service provides something I want at a reasonable price, sure. As long as it continues to do, great. But consumer vigilance is really the only way to stop sony/ms/etc from turning such services into a way to screw customers. I'm very cynical over the concept generally, mostly because we've watched the gaming community bend over backwards for every ridiculous, consumer-hostile move these companies make year after year.

Redlambs

Well.. I reckon, can't be sure, but reckon, most people already have that TV and it's a sunk cost.

Maybe not though. Perhaps just me who had a TV for non gaming related purposes.
Yeah, and I can switch my pc to the TV at will. I don't have to have a monitor to play a PC, I use my TV whenever I like. In fact I can't remember the last time I actually needed to buy a monitor with a pc...Funny that both need a screen to play, yet one side only gets that screen Included though.

Not to mention one could bring up people buying HD , now 4k and even 120hz tvs to actually make use of their consoles as they sure as shit aren't using them for TV purposes then.

It's such a non argument, there are far better ones.

Don't forget the price of the sofa and coffee table
:lol: yep. Though I suppose you'll have to then add a gaming chair and desk in for the PC side :(

Then again, I can happily play my PC from the couch with my feet up on the coffee table, I fact I was doing that earlier. Maybe I should add all that, plus the monitors I wasn't using into the cost!

Last edited:

Bebe

I've never played it, but by reputation I was thinking Sea of Thieves until I got to the graphics part.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Am I the only one who is a bit bored of the PS5? Of course due to lack of games...I'm still gaming on my PC at the moment.

On top of that I feel both consoles are severely underpowered, which will scale back PC games somewhat again...

I anticipate a 'pro' series of both consoles within 3 years.

lilcurt

Am I the only one who is a bit bored of the PS5? Of course due to lack of games...I'm still gaming on my PC at the moment.

On top of that I feel both consoles are severely underpowered, which will scale back PC games somewhat again...

I anticipate a 'pro' series of both consoles within 3 years.
Can't compare to pc as I'm a console gamer through and through.

Think my PS5 is a great bit of kit but I'm still playing games available on PS4 currently. Had some fun with Demons Souls but after putting it down for a month I feel like I need to start over to pick it back up. Currently working my way through Ratchet, Horizon and God of War before their sequels release.

Agree that they will probably upgrade mid-cycle, sadly that seems to have become a custom now, the switch apparently had a 'pro' version coming in the next 12 months.