Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bebe

Exactly. I browse through various game on the PS Store and the majority of prices for games is just ridiculous.
I wouldn't want to back myself in a corner with such limitations with a digital console.
I took a quick look at Far Cry 5 on the PS store today and it's full launch price. It released over 3 years ago :lol:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So with Horizon on the PC, Days gone dropping, and a lot more 'exclusives' on the way apparently, and with their 'amazing controller' starting to work with certain games it'll be interesting to hear PS fanboy arguments, about rather then get an xbox, get a PC! Soon you may as well just get a PC...

Also, I'm sure this same group will also say they never want the new Elder scrolls game either

Shark

@NotShark
So with Horizon on the PC, Days gone dropping, and a lot more 'exclusives' on the way apparently, and with their 'amazing controller' starting to work with certain games it'll be interesting to hear PS fanboy arguments, about rather then get an xbox, get a PC! Soon you may as well just get a PC...
Except you're ignoring that that most gamers will still choose to play said games on a console that costs 400-500 quid over a PC that'll cost 1500- 2000 odd grand for a similar level of performance.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Also, I'm sure this same group will also say they never want the new Elder scrolls game either
If you want to wait several years to play PS games on PC then yeah, get a PC…

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Except you're ignoring that that most gamers will still choose to play said games on a console that costs 400-500 quid over a PC that'll cost 1500- 2000 odd grand for a similar level of performance.
So then why do PS fanboys always use the same line...

'may as well just get a PC'

evil_geko

This is untrue (this is all ignoring the current temporary horrible stock and price situation ofc), a lot of people over exaggerate the price of a good gaming PC, I spent 1000 euros on mine for superior performance even, not similar. Which is double the price of a console, but for a good reason, I have endless catalogue of games stretching back to the beginnings, no need to worry about generations and backwards compatibility bollocks, I do my work on the same machine, I can emulate tons of games, I can also use controller on it and hook it up on a big TV and have console like experience, tons of options where you can buy the games and sales compared to consoles, not to mention the usual advantages like superior graphics and FPS etc. That is all worth much more than double the price I paid.

Some might mention how they hate the tinkering around the options, installing the game, drivers etc. but that is exactly one more reason why I love it, I love all the tinkering around it. So yeah, some people like plug and play nature of consoles and don't even have time for anything more than that, and that's fine, but let's not spread misinformation about PC.

Shark

@NotShark
So then why do PS fanboys always use the same line...

'may as well just get a PC'
Not too familiar with that line, are you referring to on here or YouTube comments or what? PC gaming is amazing if one can afford it, no doubt. However it's definitely inflated at the moment in terms of value for money. Once the SX and PS5 can offer 4K/dynamic resolution at 60fps in the majority of games it does kind of make PC gaming less of a "must" unless you're a gamer that must run every single game at Ultra settings and the highest resolutions.

Shark

@NotShark
This is untrue (this is all ignoring the current temporary horrible stock and price situation ofc), a lot of people over exaggerate the price of a good gaming PC, I spent 1000 euros on mine for superior performance even, not similar. Which is double the price of a console, but for a good reason, I have endless catalogue of games stretching back to the beginnings, no need to worry about generation.
Incredible, fair play! Built from scratch or upgraded? What are the specs?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The difference is that Xbox games come out on PC games at the same time whereas Sony only do it with last gen games to promote the next round of exclusives on their new console.

So yeah, sure, if you're happy to wait an extra three or four years to play the games then get a PC.

I have both a PC and PS4/PS5 and don't plan on waiting for games like Horizon FW to come out on PC cause I don't want to wait that long to play them. Fair play if you're happy to do so.

evil_geko

Incredible, fair play! Built from scratch or upgraded? What are the specs?
Was several years ago, so it's Ryzen 2700x, 1080ti, 16gb RAM, other is less important, wont go into details about everything. But I did sell 1080ti for a big amount because I had a offer I couldn't refuse last year and bought a cheap 1060 just to bridge the gap until the prices get back to normal.

I don't mind consoles, I just hate the usual "you need 2k euros for good gaming PC".

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Was several years ago, so it's Ryzen 2700x, 1080ti, 16gb RAM, other is less important, wont go into details about everything. But I did sell 1080ti for a big amount because I had a offer I couldn't refuse last year and bought a cheap 1060 just to bridge the gap until the prices get back to normal.

I don't mind consoles, I just hate the usual "you need 2k euros for good gaming PC".
But... right now you do. Several years ago prices were normal.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
This is temporary, but that statement for PCs is around forever, if we are talking only now, even 2k euros is not enough then, only good GPU is that much.
I love PC gaming but it's silly to claim it's better value than consoles when it clearly is not for around 80% of people who just want to play games.

Pronewbie

Peep
Gaming on a playstation is much cheaper even with a PS+ sub as it's easy to buy and sell used games. I played Demon's Souls and Spiderman Miles Morales at launch for $10.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I love PC gaming but it's silly to claim it's better value than consoles when it clearly is not for around 80% of people who just want to play games.
It depends really. Yeah the market is fecked right now, but so is the console market.
Once things settle down, you'll be able to build a PC that can perform similar for 6-700, taking into account second hand parts, but if it works, it works.

Plus you can factor so much more into a PC. Workstation, general family computer all in one.

Then when it comes to actual games. Every game runs better on the PC. Visually or performance, depending what you prefer.
Of course you pay more, but like most things in this world, you get what you pay for.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
It depends really. Yeah the market is fecked right now, but so is the console market.
Once things settle down, you'll be able to build a PC that can perform similar for 6-700, taking into account second hand parts, but if it works, it works.

Plus you can factor so much more into a PC. Workstation, general family computer all in one.

Then when it comes to actual games. Every game runs better on the PC. Visually or performance, depending what you prefer.
Of course you pay more, but like most things in this world, you get what you pay for.
It's not the same though. Consoles are still selling for RRP if you can get them, PC components are not.

And none of that really argues against what I said. For the average consumer who already has their nice 4k TV a console is much better value and more convenient than trying to buy 2nd hand parts to build a PC and then get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk etc. on top of that. I've built my own PCs for gaming for 15 years and have never at any point been able, even when I was on a tight budget, to get one at the same price as a console that could play games better!

I always laugh when PC gamers harp on about building a lovely PC for only slightly more than a console when they have clearly spent way more than that themselves. :lol:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It's not the same though. Consoles are still selling for RRP if you can get them, PC components are not.

And none of that really argues against what I said. For the average consumer who already has their nice 4k TV a console is much better value and more convenient than trying to buy 2nd hand parts to build a PC and then get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk etc. on top of that. I've built my own PCs for gaming for 15 years and have never at any point been able, even when I was on a tight budget, to get one at the same price as a console that could play games better!

I always laugh when PC gamers harp on about building a lovely PC for only slightly more than a console when they have clearly spent way more than that themselves. :lol:
All them parts were built at rrp or less.
And I could easily get some more 3080s at rrp just like I could get consoles at rrp if I wanted to.

for sure I’ve spent more on my pc than necessary. I’ve got collectible figures worth more than consoles.
I also don’t waste money on fags and alcohol so I’m more than willing to max out my performance on my number 1 hobby.

of course you need to buy all the accessories. Like yearly subscriptions to play online. Oh wait!!
And with consoles wanting to push 120hz on games, and by consoles, it currently seems like Xbox, you need to buy monitors etc

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
All them parts were built at rrp or less.
And I could easily get some more 3080s at rrp just like I could get consoles at rrp if I wanted to.

for sure I’ve spent more on my pc than necessary. I’ve got collectible figures worth more than consoles.
I also don’t waste money on fags and alcohol so I’m more than willing to max out my performance on my number 1 hobby.

of course you need to buy all the accessories. Like yearly subscriptions to play online. Oh wait!!
And with consoles wanting to push 120hz on games, and by consoles, it currently seems like Xbox, you need to buy monitors etc
Uhhh, so basically none of that disputes my point which is that consoles are better value than PCs for most people.

Shark

@NotShark
f course you need to buy all the accessories. Like yearly subscriptions to play online. Oh wait!!
Well that's not true, many 4k TV's do 120 no problem.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Uhhh, so basically none of that disputes my point which is that consoles are better value than PCs for most people.
I actually agree, value for money, consoles are better than PC.
Just like the PS4 right now is better value than the PS5.

I'm actually pro console in many ways.
They have a definite market audience, and that audience is bigger than PC, totally get that.

But value for money, the PC isn't that far off getting similar performances to the console market, obviously when the market normalises.
I just think it's a massive misconception that you've 'gotta upgrade every 6months' that gets thrown about a lot and I think people hear these empty statements and believe them. It was one of the biggest reasons it took me forever to switch to the PC as it seemed a never ending cycle of upgrading, which just isn't true.

And as Sony are definitely making moves, putting more stuff out on pc, they've said they're gonna add more, the ability to play games from both consoles on one machine is definitely a huge plus to take into consideration in the future.

I just find it hilarious how much PS gamers defend their console and throw so much shit at xbox, yet it seems that the majority of games play better on the xbox.
PS has better exclusives for sure, and for now. The Bethesda deal is huge for xbox and a massive win for their gamers.

Xbox is definitely closing the gap

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The issue with a gaming PC though is that it's fundamentally massive. I built one in 2014 and then ended up moving like 6 times so it ended up being a burden having to lug it around every time.

And then once the CPU conked out a few weeks after a move so I had to re-build a fundamental part of it. Put me right off building another one from scratch.

Granted it's probably great if you stay in one location for a long time.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I’d like to hop in and drive my car, not have to try build it and run diagnostics once a week.

next please.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The issue with a gaming PC though is that it's fundamentally massive. I built one in 2014 and then ended up moving like 6 times so it ended up being a burden having to lug it around every time.

And then once the CPU conked out a few weeks after a move so I had to re-build a fundamental part of it. Put me right off building another one from scratch.

Granted it's probably great if you stay in one location for a long time.
That is a really weird thing to take issue with. Do you only have a 14 inch TV then?

b82REZ

Xbox is definitely closing the gap

How exactly?

There seems to be an expectation the Bethesda deal has put them on a equal footing to Sony's first party studios. That's just not true. It'll be years until there's an Xbox/PC exclusive Bethesda game and with the way their games have been going post Skyrim, it would be naive to expect anything amazing. By then Ms will have GamePass on phones, fridges and Casio Calculator watches, so again why would anyone want to buy a console to play games that are available on every other device.

What reason is there to buy an Xbox currently? Gamepass is meh, I'm sure it's great for the mouth breathers who like Gears and other first party MS games, but the library is just old games.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
How exactly?

There seems to be an expectation the Bethesda deal has put them on a equal footing to Sony's first party studios. That's just not true. It'll be years until there's an Xbox/PC exclusive Bethesda game and with the way their games have been going post Skyrim, it would be naive to expect anything amazing. By then Ms will have GamePass on phones, fridges and Casio Calculator watches, so again why would anyone want to buy a console to play games that are available on every other device.

What reason is there to buy an Xbox currently? Gamepass is meh, I'm sure it's great for the mouth breathers who like Gears and other first party MS games, but the library is just old games.
Que?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
How exactly?

Outriders and MLB 21 really old games.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
How exactly?

Do you mean that old games are bad, or that they don't represent good value?

evil_geko

Why are people obsessed if games are old or new so much? Maybe it's a console mentality that you are always about that new shiny game that comes out? I am always looking to play some great old games that I missed, it should all be about great gaming experience, however old the game is.

And also, Gamepass is great value, you can be in denial about it all you want. And I don't even have Gamepass, have no reason to blindly defend it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
How exactly?

This post was so good I read it twice.

Ainu

How many people play mostly new games? Very few, I'd guess. There are so many games out there it's impossible to keep up, so I usually end up playing most games a couple of years after release. Lower price, most bugs fixed, sometimes bundled with DLC etc, there are plenty of advantages to playing games later rather than sooner. Gamepass is the perfect service for that.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Why are people obsessed if games are old or new so much? Maybe it's a console mentality that you are always about that new shiny game that comes out? I am always looking to play some great old games that I missed, it should all be about great gaming experience, however old the game is.

And also, Gamepass is great value, you can be in denial about it all you want. And I don't even have Gamepass, have no reason to blindly defend it.
Hype culture