Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Trust you to be a basic bitch gamer.

I highly recommend Powerstone 1&2, the Soul Reaver games and Urban Chaos was an amazing game and still ranks higher than any GTA game for atmosphere imo. You know, should you ever look to collect some more games.

He's a genuine talent for sure. I was never really in to hardware I just wanted to make games, but early on ripping apart machines and fixing all sorts (with obviously a lot of breaking!) taught me a respect for what those guys do on a whole new level.
Shadowman remastered dropped on Steam in April, I've not long found out about it.

I want to say it was another great on the Dreamcast, I still have it, but can't for the life of me remember much about it and why I would have this feeling of it being so good.

You're alright lambs...

TLDR: The AMD Super resolution people were getting over the top hyped up about, in this very thread is worse or equal to the TAA implementation games have been using or are going to use in engines such as Unreal 5

AMD fecked up the potential of a DLSS type system on the consoles would of been huge and made them way more futureproof.
Can it be improved upon?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Fair enough, have to agree to disagree on catching up on consoles alone. In the UK or US, sure. But globally, there are a lot of markets where Xbox isn't even in the conversation and with friends networks and backwards compat game libraries tied up - it's gonna be hard to move the needle. What gamepass can do of course is be 'in addition' to PlayStation in a way that a whole console can't typically (though maybe the Series S could take SOME of the 'dont usually buy a console but did buy the Wii' market).
You forget they got the 360 right for the most part, but also a big factor in why I think that is gaming tastes are definitely changing outside of the Asia market. Streaming is changing things on a big scale, that benefits MS way more than you think, even if they did do the usual and feck up Mixer royally.

Which, I might add, is a sign they still haven't sorted all their issues. Thank feck they didn't get discord.

For any live-service type games - Sea of Thieves, No Man's Sky, Fallout 76, The Division - have to consider if metacritic model is even suitable. Even games that aren't live service have seen transformations through patching that doesn't get reflected.
You know me and any reviews. I can tell you some very interesting stories about "journalists" too.

I'm up for a console war meet up down the pub. Veeva can host the after party.
Only if you lot promise not to slit your wrists when you find out I'm a much bigger fan of the Xbox division than you all combined! In fact, I don't know if those threads are still around, but in a previous redcafe username life I was literally the only one on here in the OG xbox days. I stood alone against the Sony, Sega, Nintendo and PC fanboy army banging on about how Halo would bring the genius aspects of Half Life to the masses...you pretenders don't know how easy you have it with your little clique now :lol:

Bosws87

You forget they got the 360 right for the most part, but also a big factor in why I think that is gaming tastes are definitely changing outside of the Asia market. Streaming is changing things on a big scale, that benefits MS way more than you think, even if they did do the usual and feck up Mixer royally.

Which, I might add, is a sign they still haven't sorted all their issues. Thank feck they didn't get discord.

You know me and any reviews. I can tell you some very interesting stories about "journalists" too.

Only if you lot promise not to slit your wrists when you find out I'm a much bigger fan of the Xbox division than you all combined! In fact, I don't know if those threads are still around, but in a previous redcafe username life I was literally the only one on here in the OG xbox days. I stood alone against the Sony, Sega, Nintendo and PC fanboy army banging on about how Halo would bring the genius aspects of Half Life to the masses...you pretenders don't know how easy you have it with your little clique now :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The head start argument is nonsense. Microsoft getting into consoles was huge, just like Sony doing it years earlier (with, you know, being a fair few years behind too). These are massively known companies around the world. Coupled with the shear money they can and have thrown at this, nah that's not correct at all.

Anyway, there are a number of reasons XBox are behind. From the start they appealed largely to the US audience games wise, the European market was still a lot more similar to the Japanese one and the variation of games are what drove (and in many ways still do) Sony's dominance. Whilst that stands true still today, the gap there is closing and that's largely due to the likes of COD and Fortnite making Console shooters more viable than ever, coupled with the timing of the Gamepass and Xbox gamers beginning to slowly get more variety. Whether that will be true of the big hitter exclusives though, well that very much remains to be seen.

The biggest factor though is still the handling of the Xboner era. And not just for gamers too. Riding on the wave of a steady increase in popularity especially after the 360 years (I don't know if those threads still exist, but they were even more interesting to read than the boner/4 ones to see what we got right and what we didn't...the 360 coming out on top in terms of all round gaming whilst Weaste, Elvis and pretty much everyone else laughing at me saying it was one ;) ), the decisions around it were indeed poor. It's the promises both to gamers but especially to developers and publishers that really did damage, damage they are still trying to recover from. As I discussed at the time, well ahead of launch, the way MS treated (and still do to some degree) it's partner teams made some horrible places to work, but it was the handling of Kinect 2.0 that really pissed a lot off. I could go on and on about all this, but we've been there and done that, the short of it is they still need to earn that trust back. So far it's been a lot of talk, but that's no different to last time.

Now that all being said, there's definitely a lot going for them this time around. The machines, although still under featured (thanks to AMD fecking up, but that's a whole other topic), are very well built this time. The X in particular shits all over the PS5 for form and function. Also, the way they are cutting back on putting fat idiot suits with no experience of gaming into producer roles has really changed the way teams are able to work. Again I've spoke a lot about the past Rare situation on here, but one of the key reasons I cite Sea of Thieves as the best thing on the gamepass (unless Alock wants to bring up metacritic reviews from 3 fecking years ago again :lol:) is that since being allowed and supported to continue to build the game, MS have shown they can fix the two biggest problems which as said above are variety and teams being left and happy to create. If only they did that with Spark.

Thankfully, our resident tea boy isn't actually involved in anything to do with them, as with his negative nelly ways they'd never climb up. The people in charge though do think they can close the gap and do want to sell machines, they've just figured out a better way to do that whilst finally acknowledging their biggest flaws. Again whether they fully fix them and it's not a lot of talk and bluster remains to be seen, the Bethseda deal for example is no indication of that alone and it will take a lot of time for the true changes to be made, but one thing I do know is that developers are definitely more comfortable with them again which is only good for us.
Nailed it and puts the silly brand loyalty debate to rest.

Shark

@NotShark
I think slim versions will become a bit more tricky as consoles get a bit closer to medium tier PC's in terms of power. However I'm interested to see.

Redlambs

These consoles are better than "medium PC's". Ask a current medium PC to run Control with RTX or Sea of Thieves at 60fps.

The PS3 was way better, the X360 was mid-high level on launch. Just because the Boner and the PS4 we glorified laptops, it doesn't mean the current consoles can't hang on a decent level.

Bosws87

AI and set pieces. Dispute that?

It clearly did on both counts, shame the series has gone downhill in both since :(
I've always associated half life with the physics puzzles and the illusion of a non linear game which in reality is very linear.

Halo's never been my thing to many bullets to kill someone so don't know the series in depth.

Redlambs

I've always associated half life with the physics puzzles and the illusion of a non linear game which in reality is very linear.

Halo's never been my thing to many bullets to kill someone so don't know the series in depth.
Well then that's your problem, you missed the best of both.

Half Life introduced us to a story driven FPS with enemies who seemed to think and protect themselves, and big open set pieces that told a story. Halo was the next (and arguably last) major AI push, with enemies who actually worked as a squad, with set pieces bigger and better than any before. Neither game were about illusions and all that, they lived and died on the gameplay innovations, AI and solid gunplay.

Halo 1 was the last big leap in terms of fps AI, I mean I'd consider F.E.A.R but that was much more corridor, and only surface. In the terms of games that pushed the genre forward, games like Goldeneye/HL/Halo/Deus Ex/System Shock have all pushed the genre on, there's no doubting that no matter if they are console or not, they are set in stone.

One thing I will say though, I'll never get the love for Halo 3. It was boring at best, only the multiplayer did anything interesting. Also, whilst I'm on it, Halo 2 broke the gunplay of 1, the dual weapons and nurfing the classic weapons was shite. Luckily the settings and atmosphere saved it.

Redlambs

Brand loyalty to major corps is dumb as feck and is the ultimate show of capitalism at it's best/worst.

Still, it doesn't stop us. My best friend will only ever use Heinz Ketchup and won't even contemplate trying anything else despite me constantly calling her a lunatic. I mean I do get it, it's conditioning one way or another, but god bless I do love that nut job in the same way I kind of tolerate you idiots in here :lol:

Bosws87

Well then that's your problem, you missed the best of both.

Half Life introduced us to a story driven FPS with enemies who seemed to think and protect themselves, and big open set pieces that told a story. Halo was the next (and arguably last) major AI push, with enemies who actually worked as a squad, with set pieces bigger and better than any before. Neither game were about illusions and all that, they lived and died on the gameplay innovations, AI and solid gunplay.

Halo 1 was the last big leap in terms of fps AI, I mean I'd consider F.E.A.R but that was much more corridor, and only surface. In the terms of games that pushed the genre forward, games like Goldeneye/HL/Halo/Deus Ex/System Shock have all pushed the genre on, there's no doubting that no matter if they are console or not, they are set in stone.

One thing I will say though, I'll never get the love for Halo 3. It was boring at best, only the multiplayer did anything interesting. Also, whilst I'm on it, Halo 2 broke the gunplay of 1, the dual weapons and nurfing the classic weapons was shite. Luckily the settings and atmosphere saved it.
Was still stuck playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault online on pc back in those days played it competitively for maybe 8 years, its still going today has a solid community.

That's the greatest multiplayer ever made for me, but i don't expect many to of played it or agree.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Brand loyalty to major corps is dumb as feck and is the ultimate show of capitalism at it's best/worst.

Still, it doesn't stop us. My best friend will only ever use Heinz Ketchup and won't even contemplate trying anything else despite me constantly calling her a lunatic. I mean I do get it, it's conditioning one way or another, but god bless I do love that nut job in the same way I kind of tolerate you idiots in here :lol:
Pretty much. Variety is the spice of life.

Redlambs

Was still stuck playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault online on pc back in those days played it competitively for maybe 8 years, its still going today has a solid community.

That's the greatest multiplayer ever made for me, but i don't expect many to of played it or agree.
Not sure I'd agree best ever, but it does have a great community. Halo has an equally great one though.

Thing is you laughed at me saying Halo 1 was a console successor to Half Life 1, and in that I'm correct. It really doesn't matter if you think of it as just another shooter, which could also be levelled at MoH in the same simplistic terms btw, because in reality it actually took what HL did and brought that to the masses and even improved on some aspects. It deserves it's place on the FPS hall of fame. Just a shame it has stalled as a series in terms of it's roots.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

Didn't you know, it doesn't apply to consoles don't worry

Alock1

I’m so loyal to Sony I stayed with Xbox 360 through 3 RROD’s.
Exactly. People on average bought 7 Xbox 360s each Sony still sold more PS3's. Just shows doesn't it.

Redlambs

Didn't you know, it doesn't apply to consoles don't worry
I kind of tolerate this post.

Exactly. People on average bought 7 Xbox 360s each Sony still sold more PS3's. Just shows doesn't it.
I mean, doesn't that just show what we all know that not only are people ridiculous, but they on a whole just don't know how to fix things in a day and age where it's literally walked through for them?

Alock1

I mean, doesn't that just show what we all know that not only are people ridiculous, but they on a whole just don't know how to fix things in a day and age where it's literally walked through for them?
I was just joking about the 7 consoles (for those who weren't 100% sure)

Definitely agree. But I am 100% one of those people. Absolutely useless at anything DIY related and usually just buy a new one whatever it is. I can't be bothered to go through complaints to replace/get fixed usually.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Definitely agree. But I am 100% one of those people. Absolutely useless at anything DIY related and usually just buy a new one whatever it is. I can't be bothered to go through complaints to replace/get fixed usually.
Microsoft are paying you too much

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Brand loyalty is fecking weird though, especially in tech, and especially when it comes to Apple, who no matter what they do, will always have a bunch of hapless eejits purchase everything they release. But I do think it's largely confined to Apple, they are really the only tech company who can charge what they want for their products and people don't care. That simply doesn't apply to games consoles, the cheaper, more powerful one tends to come out on top. People can argue that Sony built up a lead early on this gen because of their "loyalty" but I'd more pin it down to them having amassed such a vast player base on the PS4 network that once the consoles came out at the same price with not much difference (the Series X is the better machine but lacks a killer feature like dualsense) then people are always going to pick the console that A) their mates and game collections are on and B) they know will have great exclusives based on the previous console they had from that company. I really don't think 99% of people have any sort of love or bias towards Sony like you and others seem to want to claim.

Bosws87

Brand loyalty is fecking weird though, especially in tech, and especially when it comes to Apple, who no matter what they do, will always have a bunch of hapless eejits purchase everything they release. But I do think it's largely confined to Apple, they are really the only tech company who can charge what they want for their products and people don't care. That simply doesn't apply to games consoles, the cheaper, more powerful one tends to come out on top. People can argue that Sony built up a lead early on this gen because of their "loyalty" but I'd more pin it down to them having amassed such a vast player base on the PS4 network that once the consoles came out at the same price with not much difference (the Series X is the better machine but lacks a killer feature like dualsense) then people are always going to pick the console that A) their mates and game collections are on and B) they know will have great exclusives based on the previous console they had from that company. I really don't think 99% of people have any sort of love or bias towards Sony like you and others seem to want to claim.
Throw in the fact that everything is now coming on PC, if budget it isn't an issue and you aren't against having a PC or gaming on pc there really is no reason at all to own an xbox.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It didn't matter if you could fix them. The way they soldered the CPUs it was a losing battle. I remember doing the towel trick etc....

Alock1

I wish it was a thing that was just confined to Apple but unfortunately it's true across almost everything.

Just look at what brands most people buy from Tesco which are exactly the same ingredients as their Value or Aldi counterparts for 4x less money.

Not everybody can take the piss and get away with it, but being predisposed to buying one brand unless (overwhelming) evidence the other way.

Alock1

It didn't matter if you could fix them. The way they soldered the CPUs it was a losing battle. I remember doing the towel trick etc....
I did the towel trick many a time too! About as far as I'm willing to go.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Why did Sony bother with spending millions on building a very strong Playstation brand if there is no impact on sales? I'm curious.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Imagine thinking brand loyalty isn’t at play here, in this thread, with Afro, boswhduuc, Damien, Elvis and their posts, when they clearly own the worse of the two consoles :lol: