Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Imagine Sony lying about something for marketing and hype. Nothing new here.

The overhyping of PS5 SSD was beyond ridiculous. Throw some marketing lies here and there and fanboys will eat it up, that is how console sale records happen, has nothing to do with actual hardware quality unfortunately.
Can't blame Sony for the marketing here, but that some people actually believed it was idiotic in the first place. It's not on PS4 because Sony made a decision for it to be next-gen only, not because it couldn't be achieved. Yes, the experience is better on next gen and the level of graphical fidelity couldn't have been replicated - but so was true of Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, TLOU 2, Days Gone and any other game that got a next gen upgrade. The difference just depends on how much time and resources were put into maximizing the efforts on next gen hardware.

Largely the same experience (gameplay, story, combat, level design) would have been achievable on last gen. It wouldn't have been as crisp or as smooth, and wouldn't have loaded as quickly, and I agree that makes a difference. But the notion that it was a game changer because it wasn't being held back by releasing on last gen (technically held back, not because of resource allocation) was always silly.

Look at this from afro. Dear me..

Well you'd be stuck there in mid air for the greater part of a minute twiddling your fingers waiting for the next world to load in, repeatedly, for as long as this section lasts.... Sure I guess it's possible, sounds fun.

It's ok to admit it's good tech, for both consoles...

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Alock has fallen for the propaganda. Sad to see.
But predictable...

I mean you'd think that given the choice between launching just for PS5 or for both PS5 and PS4, they'd opt for the latter if possible. Instead of making out that the SSD could do incredible things and skipping a 100m+ userbase just for.... Reasons.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
But predictable...

I mean you'd think that given the choice between launching just for PS5 or for both PS5 and PS4, they'd opt for the latter if possible. Instead of making out that the SSD could do incredible things and skipping a 100m+ userbase just for.... Reasons.
They’re just upset it’s been nearly a year since their console released and they’ve still not had next gen game.

Alock1

But predictable...

For wider marketing of the PS5? Because potentially the sales could be as good long term if positioned as a next gen showcase as releasing on last gen hardware too?

Because they made a big song and dance about 'generations'?

Maybe it still will release on PS4. Don't be surprised if that ends up happening later.

Have you played it yet? Or watched the video or any other content on the game that shows what you referred to as jumping between worlds momentarily is just an on rails segment of the game? Do you still believe it can't be achieved just because Sony tell you? Dear me.

They’re just upset it’s been nearly a year since their console released and they’ve still not had next gen game.
By afrocentricity's definition the only real next game either console has had is Flight Sim.

People here say its niche but its no more niche than the likes of Returnal.

And if the 'niche' comments relate to the simulation element, people are completely missing the point of why people love that game. Just look at the fact we have a 25 page thread on geoguesser..

afrocentricity

Have you played it yet? Or watched the video or any other content on the game that shows what you referred to as jumping between worlds momentarily is just an on rails segment of the game? Do you still believe it can't be achieved just because Sony tell you? Dear me.
I'm playing it now and I haven't seen anything like it... have you?

By afrocentricity's definition the only real next game either console has had is Flight Sim.
WUM, you almost had me for a split second there...

afrocentricity

Or Borderlands 3 where you swap places with your dummy, or Dishonoured where you blink

Or any other game where you can instantly reposition within the same level..
A BMW M5 is fast, a Bugatti Chiron is faster. They can both get you from a-b real quick.... but you wouldn't make a habit of comparing them would you? or downplaying the latter's capabilities? or denying the differences?
One is clearly doing things the other cant, even though they both in a general sense, do the same thing, and are the same thing. For me... the differences are important, but not so much for you it seems.

Too bitter... it's a shame.

Titanfall 2!
Or Prey (before Portal)! Enjoyed that game, the portals were mind blowing back then...

Alock1

A BMW M5 is fast, a Bugatti Chiron is faster. They can both get you from a-b real quick.... but you wouldn't make a habit of comparing them would you? or downplaying the latter's capabilities? or denying the differences?
One is clearly doing things the other cant, even though they both in a general sense, do the same thing, and are the same thing. For me... the differences are important, but not so much for you it seems.

Too bitter... it's a shame.
Actually it was you doing that. Dismissing games with next gen graphics and performance because: 'Next gen is something new that could not have been done before'

When in reality, Ratchet is the same as all those others. It looks great, and takes advantage of next gen hardware (to a degree, it's still early in the gen), and that's great. But it doesn't do anything that couldn't be done before from a gameplay or mechanic perspective which is what you made a big thing of. I agree the difference is important, but you weren't so sure a few months ago 'gears 5 is just shinier..'

You can say I'm a wum, but it's true, by your own definition the only next-gen game on either console is Flight Sim.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's so true, there's no way it'd be possible to run MS Flight Sim on really old hardware.
Minimum
Your device must meet all minimum requirements to open this product
OSWindows 10 version 18362.0 or higher, Xbox One
Architecturex64
KeyboardIntegrated Keyboard
MouseIntegrated Mouse
DirectXVersion 11
Memory8 GB
Video Memory2 GB
ProcessorIntel i5-4460 | AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GraphicsNVIDIA GTX 770 | AMD Radeon RX 570

Alock1

It's so true, there's no way it'd be possible to run MS Flight Sim on really old hardware.
Minimum
Your device must meet all minimum requirements to open this product
OSWindows 10 version 18362.0 or higher, Xbox One
Architecturex64
KeyboardIntegrated Keyboard
MouseIntegrated Mouse
DirectXVersion 11
Memory8 GB
Video Memory2 GB
ProcessorIntel i5-4460 | AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GraphicsNVIDIA GTX 770 | AMD Radeon RX 570
Another knock on afro's definition. It does new things that haven't been done before, and isn't on last gen consoles - must be next gen.

Alock1

@Alock1 has lost the plot...
It's okay.. I'm sure you'll get games that do something new, not possible on last gen at some point. Shame that Horizon and God of War next year are both on PS4 though, I guess you won't be picking those up.

Alock1

Also.. I've never paid attention to the results in the poll. Do people really think GTA will come after the next Elder Scrolls? I'm guessing most votes are a joke :lol:

RedDevilRoshi

Also.. I've never paid attention to the results in the poll. Do people really think GTA will come after the next Elder Scrolls? I'm guessing most votes are a joke :lol:
They are still piling in so much money from GTA Online. I can’t see Rockstar being in any rush to release a new game when the previous game that came out back in 2013 is still raking in so much cash for them.

Most likely will be released when the next gen consoles are rolled out.

Talking about Rockstar, don’t Sony have some sort of partnership with them and could that potentially lead to GTA 6 or any other Rockstar title being a PlayStation exclusive?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Those thinking you could run R&C RA on a PS4 are wrong. Those thinking you couldn't create a game that which was almost R&C RA on PS4 are also wrong.

The beat R&C game is Crack in Time anyway

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Talking about Rockstar, don’t Sony have some sort of partnership with them and could that potentially lead to GTA 6 or any other Rockstar title being a PlayStation exclusive?
Not happening - either full exclusive or timed. Microsoft paid $100M in 2015 for timed exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider. To get a deal for GTA6 would be ridiculously expensive for it to be worthwhile for Sony.

Leg-End

I think it can be confidently said GTA games will never be exclusives, timed or otherwise. Obviously MS or Sony could buy Rockstar and do what it wants but Rockstar operate in a bubble, the frustration is they release one game per gen on average.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's pretty much impossible to get a Series X. Series S seem to be widely available though. And a lot more PS5's seem to come into stock in places too. Not sure how one of the world's biggest companies is struggling so much for chips vs a much smaller one in Sony?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's pretty much impossible to get a Series X. Series S seem to be widely available though. And a lot more PS5's seem to come into stock in places too. Not sure how one of the world's biggest companies is struggling so much for chips vs a much smaller one in Sony?
Series S is a bit of a weird console but I think it's main purpose was to entice people to Microsoft who weren't on board before. I bought one myself because I wasn't sure if I wanted to join the Microsoft ecosystem and it's been great and all but I wouldn't mind upgrading now (if I could).

This is saying nothing about the technical parts, etc.

Last edited:

Alock1

Precision engineering takes time innit. You'd expect that other monstrosity that clearly has no quality assurance to be making hardware more readily available.

I imagine some chips must have been held for Halo edition, and also worth remembering they've been upgrading their Cloud side to Series X. You'd think the numbers would be negligible but I guess when supply is so tight then even those could be having a noticeable impact.

Otherwise, I'm guessing Sony got in there first, market leader with more confidence (and also, first to finalize hardware) but also more buying power when you consider the consolidated buys they will make across mobiles, tvs, cameras etc. It isn't just chips that are in shortage right now, a lot of components are short supply (I think Phil Spencer specifically called out ethernet parts recently).

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think for Microsoft the Series S was worth it as it got the platform into the hands of more people who are traditionally PlayStation/Switch users, but they vastly overestimated the demand for the console (as shown by that part exchange promotion with Game) and would have been better off making more Series X and fewer of the Series S.