PSG | 2017-18 Performance Thread | Tuchel becomes coach on a two-year deal

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think it has a lot to do with the French catholic values considering money and marketing dirty and betraying the "values of football".
Nah, it's just that these two clubs have been owned by stupid men, who thought that it was easier to just pump money into the clubs(almost exclusively on players) instead of developing the infrastructure and the brand. Just look at two other examples both relatively old, at Montpellier Nicollin was a fan of sport and was happy to balance the books if needed but he built a small but solid club with good infrastructures and a good academy, Aulas who used Nicollin as an example did the same but at the scale of Lyon.

Marseille and PSG did everything the wrong way, they have betrayed the "values of football" at every turns and they are kind of paying that in 2017 because their place in football doesn't match their popularity in France.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Nah, it's just that these two clubs have been owned by stupid men, who thought that it was easier to just pump money into the clubs(almost exclusively on players) instead of developing the infrastructure and the brand. Just look at two other examples both relatively old, at Montpellier Nicollin was a fan of sport and was happy to balance the books if needed but he built a small but solid club with good infrastructures and a good academy, Aulas who used Nicollin as an example did the same but at the scale of Lyon.

Marseille and PSG did everything the wrong way, they have betrayed the "values of football" at every turns and they are kind of paying that in 2017 because their place in football doesn't match their popularity in France.
I'm not sure if Nicollin is the perfect example since he's had trouble building a solid fan base even in Montpellier but Aulas did a great job taking Lyon all the way from L2 to the top step by step.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm not sure if Nicollin is the perfect example since he's had trouble building a solid fan base even in Montpellier but Aulas did a great job taking Lyon all the way from L2 to the top step by step.
It's a good example because the club is solid in a town that doesn't give a damn about football, the reason behind that solidity is due to the infrastructures, the club can actually rely on its academy and they don't lose money. Lyon went farther because they are in far bigger market but they used the same tools, Nice are doing the same.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yuri Berchiche: “I am not a back-up.”

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Le Parisien, PSG’s most expensive summer signing (for now), Yuri Berchiche, arrived for €15m from Real Sociedad and will compete with Layvin Kurzawa for the starting left-back spot.

The French do not know you very well. Can you tell us about where you are from?

I am from a small village near Saint-Sebastian, called Zarauz in Basque country. I am born to an Algerian father and a Basque mother. My father emigrated to France when he was 14 due to problems in his country. And my parents met later in Berlin, Germany when on holiday. The Algerian federation tried to contact me to play for the national team, but I declined it because I still have the possibility to play for Spain.

It has been said that when you were 15, you fought with a referee on the field.

That is not true. The truth is, after a heated game with some rows, I threatened the referee. But I did not fight him. For that matter, I have never fought on or off the pitch in my life. Following these problems, the Spanish federation banned me for four months, and I was not able to play in the U-17 World Cup or U-17 Euros. It is true that I was a highly-strung player, and that the punishment was not unfair, but slightly excessive. After this incident and everything I said, I decided to go to Tottenham in the Premier League to change scenery.

Was that the first time you came across Gareth Bale?

The year I signed at Tottenham was the year he arrived from Southampton. He was playing with the first team, while I was with the reserves. I knew him, but we did not have a particularly special relationship. At the time, he played left-back like me. When he was not with the first team, he played in the reserves. We did come across each other in La Liga. During a game between Real Madrid and Real Sociedad, in the Bernabeu, when I was marking him on a corner. He remembered me and said, “Hey I know you, you’re Yuri!”

Let’s talk a bit about PSG. When did the club first try to recruit you?

The first approach came during the last winter transfer window. Kluivert made an offer for me to join PSG, but I told myself that it was not the best option at the time. I wanted to stay with Real Sociedad to keep improving. To join PSG at the time did not guarantee that, and I wanted to stay to play and help the club qualify for the Europa League.

So, why did you agree to a move this summer?

Because I felt that it was step forward. I always want to outdo myself, and reach my challenging objectives. I feel that I am able to play with world-class players, even if just sharing a dressing room with them is already a dream. Normally, you play with them on the PlayStation!

Did you know Unai Emery before signing in Paris?

Not personally, but I knew about his career path. He called me about a month and half ago, while on vacation in Greece, and I thank him personally for that. He was very convincing. And when you know the coach and sporting director want you, it is an easy decision to make.

Do you consider yourself Layvin Kurzawa’s substitute?

No, I do not see myself as a second choice. I am here to compete with him to help the team. But I also want to learn from Kurzawa, because I consider him one of the best full-backs in the world today.

What do you need to improve to reach PSG’s level?

If I am here, it is because I think that I have the level to do so. But I am more of an attacking player, rather than a defensive player. So I think I still need to improve the defensive side of my game. And I think the coach can help me a lot in this area.

Y.H.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I hope Pastore can stay fit this year.
If he is fit and if Neymar joins the club, Pastore is likely to apply for a role in central midfield:

-Neymar/Draxler -------- Cavani -----------------Di Maria / Lucas / Guedes

------ Pastore / Matuidi / Rabiot / Nkunku / Lo Celso
----------------------------------------------- Verratti
------------------- Motta / Rabiot / Krychowiak

Yagami

Good post resistant
Honestly, I think he'd thrive as a CM and have wanted to see him there for a while. Himself alongside Verratti would just be drool-worthy. Not to mention them both potentially linking-up with Di María and Neymar in attack with Cavani spearheading. Then you've got Alves who owns the right hand side! I think that would be my ideal line-up in terms of attack.

Who do you see as your DM, @Ecstatic / @BBRBB ? Motta's been great for you but he's getting on a bit now.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Honestly, I think he'd thrive as a CM and have wanted to see him there for a while. Himself alongside Verratti would just be drool-worthy. Not to mention them both potentially linking-up with Di María and Neymar in attack with Cavani spearheading. Then you've got Alves who owns the right hand side! I think that would be my ideal line-up in terms of attack.

Who do you see as your DM, @Ecstatic / @BBRBB ? Motta's been great for you but he's getting on a bit now.
He has played some games as a central playmaker last season!

If fit, Motta is the #1. Then, Rabiot is the #2 but the latter doesn't like to play as a #6...

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Rabiot or Verratti could play there but they prefer to play CM. We are on the market for a new DM, Fabinho is blocked by Monaco but we are vaguely linked with a few others. We'll see after the Neymar saga is over.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He has played some games as a central playmaker last season!

If fit, Motta is the #1. Then, Rabiot is the #2 but the latter doesn't like to play as a #6...
Darn, whenever I caught a PSG match and Pastore was playing he was usually on the left. Hopefully I'll catch him as a CM or at least a 10 at some point this year. Providing he can stay fit!
Rabiot or Verratti could play there but they prefer to play CM. We are on the market for a new DM, Fabinho is blocked by Monaco but we are vaguely linked with a few others. We'll see after the Neymar saga is over.
Do you have a preference?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Do you have a preference?
I like Fabinho but he seems unlikely. Since there's a dearth of top DMs on the market the best solution could be to play Verratti or Rabiot there and recruit a CM instead. Séri could be a good option and can play everywhere in midfield.

ti vu

Who will be a bench player between Di Maria/Draxler hmmm ? On their best days, I'd take Di Maria everyday.
On their best day, Di Maria can be played centrally as some sort of third midfield like he did in his Madrid final season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
On their best day, Di Maria can be played centrally as some sort of third midfield like he did in his Madrid final season.
Not sure Emery will play Cavani/Neymar/Draxler/Di Maria at the same time in the biggest games (CL mainly as in the Ligue 1 they could easily do that and destroy teams). Emery loves Pastore and Pastore has been their best player of the preseason.

ti vu

Not sure Emery will play Cavani/Neymar/Draxler/Di Maria at the same time in the biggest games (CL mainly as in the Ligue 1 they could easily do that and destroy teams). Emery loves Pastore and Pastore has been their best player of the preseason.
I am not sure myself, just saying on paper for Neymar to fit in, Pastore is in the way. Di Maria if being well motivated can do a different job as engine room for the midfield while Neymar's influence as main man can stay intact. I am not saying Di Maria is likely to get to that level of motivation. I am just answering your hypothetical question when everyone getting into their best condition: mentally & physically.

Realistically I see the Argentines (both Pastore &a Di Maria) would be in question for being shown the door. For Di Maria, the guy is hard to motivate. For Pastore, Neymar influence would kill his game for good.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Emery loves Pastore and Pastore has been their best player of the preseason.
Been waiting for Pastore to explode for years. He looked ready in 14/15(was imho your best player, at least the best not named Zlatan) and then injuries completely derailed his following two seasons :(

Btw, after neymar i don't think you'll sign anyone else. I also don't think you'll need to sign anyone else

Dani Alves/Meunier, Marquinhos/Thiago/Kimpembe/Foyth, Kurzawa/Yuri, Verratti/Motta/Nkunku/Rabiot, Pastore/Lo Celso, Lucas/Draxler, Neymar, Cavani/Guedes/Eduard

I think that's gonna be your team at the end of the summer

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Neymar to arrive in Doha ahead of PSG medical

Qatari outlet Al Watan reports this morning that Barcelona star Neymar will arrive in Doha, Qatar in the middle of this week to undergo a medical ahead of his proposed PSG move at the Aspetar medical centre.

Neymar, who is currently in Shanghai, believed to be there for marketing reasons, is due to be welcomed by PSG President Nasser Al Khelaifi in Doha either on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Les Parisiens are hopeful of announcing the Brazilian as a PSG player this week.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Paris Saint-Germain to consider offering Angel Di Maria in a swap deal for Barcelona's Neymar plus £195m
By Pete Jenson for MailOnline

Published: 20:49 BST, 28 July 2017 | Updated: 02:07 BST, 29 July 2017

Paris Saint-Germain want to send Angel Di Maria to Barcelona, as well as £195million (€220m), in order to close their record breaking deal for Neymar.

Diario AS reported on Friday that the former Manchester United player could be used as part of the deal.

The French club see it as a way of avoiding paying Neymar's transfer buy-out clause to the Spanish league and incurring a tax bill of over £62m.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG already planning party for Neymar unveiling ahead of transfer - source
TANGIER, Morocco -- Paris Saint-Germain are so confident that they have convinced Barcelona superstar Neymar to join them for a world-record €222 million transfer fee that they have already started to consider how to unveil him as their latest signing, a source has told ESPN FC.

The options being considered are believed to include a public presentation in Paris and a one-off event at the capital club's Parc des Princes home.

The source said PSG have already contacted the Paris police to enquire about the possibility of a public event, the likes of which they have been unable to host since unsavoury scenes that marred Ligue 1 title celebrations in 2013, their first league success in 19 years.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was unveiled in front of the Eiffel Tower when he signed in the summer of 2012, but that was before the incident the next year at the Trocadero.

Since then, PSG have been unable to celebrate new signings and trophy successes -- notably the first domestic clean sweeps in French football history -- with their supporters in public because of fears that the scenes from 2013 will be repeated.

This makes an event at Parc des Princes more likely than a glitzy gathering in the City of Light, and something similar to Angel Di Maria's presentation at Shangri-La Hotel in 2015 is not thought to be sufficient for an event of this magnitude.

However, the source indicated that there is another possibility altogether. That is that PSG's Qatari owners unveil the player in Doha and have him undergo his medical at the ASPETAR facility there instead of in Paris.

A source told ESPN FC last week that the Brazil international and his father have already agreed upon a contract with PSG, and all that was left to do at that point was for the Ligue 1 giants to work out how to activate the player's release clause without incurring the wrath of UEFA's Financial Fair Play watchdog.

According to this source, PSG now believe that they have found a way to activate Neymar's clause that remains within the FFP limits, something that UEFA are sure has already been considered.

Because of that, PSG have decided to offer Neymar a five-year deal with an option for a sixth season. A shorter contract was initially a possibility to lessen the overall financial commitment in the eyes of FFP.

Before any deal has been confirmed, La Liga -- and Barcelona, sources say -- are threatening to report PSG to UEFA, but Les Parisiens are still expected to make their move after this weekend.

PSG captain Thiago Silva said after the French Super Cup win over Monaco on Saturday that he hopes Neymar's move "gets finalised," while Neymar could still make a statement after El Clasico on Saturday in Miami or after promotional commitments in China have been completed.

Meanwhile, Mundo Deportivo reported on Saturday that Neymar had informed his Barcelona teammates two days earlier that he would be joining PSG.

As already reported, Neymar will be earning around €30 million per year after taxes and will be handed a major signing bonus in excess of his net annual sum.

On top of those earnings and significant bonuses, Neymar and his father are set to profit from a number of other commercial ventures that PSG owners Oryx Qatar Sports Investments control in Paris and outside of football.

Jonathan Johnson covers PSG and the French national team for ESPN FC. Twitter: @Jon_LeGossip.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
By Ian Holyman
PSG will have ensured Neymar move doesn't breach FFP rules - UEFA

Paris Saint-Germain will have "done their sums well" to ensure a potential world-record move for Neymar keeps them within financial fair play regulations, UEFA's FFP head has told L'Equipe.

Along with Manchester City, PSG were hit by sanctions in 2014 after falling foul of FFP. They were handed a €60 million fine, had their Champions League squad reduced from 25 to 21 for a season and saw their hands tied in their transfer dealings.

Now, media reports claim the Ligue 1 outfit are considering how to meet Barcelona forward Neymar's €222m buyout clause, pay his reported €30m annual wage and also squeeze within FFP boundaries.

A source close to PSG told ESPN FC last week that Neymar has told the French club he wants to move to the Parc des Princes and has agreed to terms on a contract. The source indicated that the biggest remaining question is no longer whether Neymar is willing to swap the Camp Nou for the Parc des Princes but how ownership finances what would be a world-record fee.

Andrea Traverso, who leads UEFA's FFP watchdog, says PSG will tread even more carefully as a second breach of the regulations could leave them open to a heavier punishment, including a ban from European competition.

"PSG are no longer under those restrictions, but that doesn't mean they can start to do what they want,"
he said. "They must respect financial fair play regulations, just like everyone else in Europe. They must show they can have losses that do not go beyond €30m over three years.

"I note the impact of any possible arrival of Neymar in Paris would have an effect that would be felt over several years. But it's very difficult to judge this kind of operation in advance. I don't know their plans.
The transfer window is not closed. They might have planned on selling one, two, three or four players for an equivalent or bigger amount. We'll see where we stand at the end. I think they have done their sums well."

Special dispensation can be given to clubs to run up bigger losses than those laid out by UEFA, but any team that has been punished within the last three years cannot apply, ruling PSG out.

Though they have been transformed into one of European football's big clubs since the arrival of Qatar Sports Investments in 2011, PSG will not be protected by their status on the continent.

"We don't make a distinction. All clubs are treated in the same way," Traverso said. "You say PSG and Manchester City have been punished. I can tell you Inter [Milan] and Roma have been restricted too. Major clubs, in Turkey, have been punished very heavily. Small, middle-sized and big clubs are treated in the same way."

Traverso added that PSG should have learned their lesson in the last three years.

"It's been a long time since then," he said. "The rules had just been introduced. Now, everyone knows them well. I'm convinced that everything will be done within the rules. But I understand very well that some people are asking themselves questions."

Ian is ESPN's French football correspondent. Twitter: @ian_holyman

Neymar looks to be on his way to Paris Saint-Germain.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Neymar reported to be in Brasil, 'thinking about his future'.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Neymar reported to be in Brasil, 'thinking about his future'.
No, he is in China and about to join Spain according to an article from L'equipe published 36 minutes ago.

His father is already in Barcelona

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Barcelona are sounding out top European sides to form an anti-PSG front

Barcelona representatives over the last few days have been calling their big European club partners to bring about an anti-Paris front.

Barcelona intend to portray Les Parisiens as a menace to the established order and will try to marginalise them on the continental stage. Barcelona know that they have messed up enormously and are trying to save face with this pity-party effort.

Unfortunately for Les Parisiens, this strategy seems to be working as Bayern Munich and Juventus have responded favourably to calls from Barcelona, according to L’Équipe.

Barcelona President Bartomeu wants to file a legal complaint against PSG for tapping up Neymar… the irony being that it was the Brazilian’s representatives who sounded out the Ligue 1 side first and not the other way around…

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
No, he is in China and about to join Spain according to an article from L'equipe published 36 minutes ago.

His father is already in Barcelona
Yep, that - the trip to brazil, as well as medical at Qatar - turn out to be false. They have practice tomorrow. That will be interesting.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yep, that - the trip to brazil, as well as medical at Qatar - turn out to be false. They have practice tomorrow. That will be interesting.
Indeed, so many speculations and false news.

Skills

Snitch
They're saving face. They can't challenge madrid in the spar for the biggest club around by adding another player to the list of great players they have sold in their prime (despite the insane fee).

Maradona, Ronaldo, Figo, Neymar...

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
@Ecstatic
Yeah, for sure. It should be unbearable for Neymar to stay at Barca now, after this summer. I can't see him stay after all this drama. Just at the airport he got confronted by angry fans, and he was ready to engage in fighting:

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
@SfcNervion

There are always stupid fans.

Another example with some Milan fans at the last game of Maldini...

"Thanks captain. On the pitch you were an undying champion but you had no respect for those who made you rich," read one of the banners prepared by Ultras.

"There is only one captain, [Franco] Baresi".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/may/25/serieafootball-acmilan
I remember that. He had such a lovely tribute in his last away game, and then it all ended so ungrateful at San Siro. He did his lap, and then suddenly gave the finger to the Ultra and then just took off. Such an unworthy ending for one of football's most brilliant players.

Around Camp Nou at the moment:

EDIT:
@Ecstatic Now I understand why bringing up Maldini's ending:wenger::lol: As I mentioned to @kouroux further down, I typed the text very clumsy, and should have elaborated it further. It is not pretty to be insulted like that, of course not good behaviour; but the situation seems unbearable and Neymar brough it on himself. I forgot to emphasise that, which actually is the most important part, since the whole context of my previous post suggests the complete opposite:wenger: - that it is unbearable because of the fans (or something like that), which is not true.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What animal's head will find itself in the field?

I think Neymar is the kind to rise to that challenge. Would show Barca what thet let go although a certain player might just upstage him.
Absolutely. The WC in 2014 has demonstrated that he knows how to perform well under high pressure

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
What animal's head will find itself in the field?

I think Neymar is the kind to rise to that challenge. Would show Barca what thet let go although a certain player might just upstage him.
True. He is currently my favourite player (not necessarily the player that I believe performs best in the world, but I like his style and how he handles pressure), but this is an ugly way to leave a club, BUT he did also enter to Barcelona in an ugly way too. I am not sure that he is obligated to show loyalty, since he is not catalan or brought up in Barcelona - so as a South American he is not obligated to show type loyalty to any European club... So they shouldn't throw a pig head(:lol:), but I would understand if he has to go through hatred if he visits Camp Nou in PSG shirt. But it seems to be the best for both parties that he leaves, even if Barca are selling a possible future ballon d'or winner.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
True. He is currently my favourite player (not necessarily the player that I believe performs best in the world, but I like his style and how he handles pressure), but this is an ugly way to leave a club, BUT he did also enter to Barcelona in an ugly way too. I am not sure that he is obligated to show loyalty, since he is not catalan or brought up in Barcelona - so as a South American he is not obligated to show type loyalty to any European club... So they shouldn't throw a pig head(:lol:), but I would understand if he has to go through hatred if he visits Camp Nou in PSG shirt. But it seems to be the best for both parties that he leaves, even if Barca are selling a possible future ballon d'or winner.
He's fantastic to watch.

And I think the move to PSG will unshackle him.look forward to his perfomances in the UCL. Could see this really being a good move for him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
@Ecstatic
Yeah, for sure. It should be unbearable for Neymar to stay at Barca now, after this summer. I can't see him stay after all this drama. Just at the airport he got confronted by angry fans, and he was ready to engage in fighting:

Man, there was never any doubt he was leaving them. Barca fans, at least the ones who demonstrate some excessive anger/insults, are absolutely fecking idiots. Who is he to them ?

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Man, there was never any doubt he was leaving them. Barca fans, at least the ones who demonstrate some excessive anger/insults, are absolutely fecking idiots. Who is he to them ?
Hm...I see now that I was clumsy with the context:houllier::wenger:, the situation being unbearable- as Neymar being a complete victim- is not what I intentionally tried to link those two pics with; what I meant is that it is unbearable for both parties; how things have become infected, even though it is not pleasant to be greeted with insults at an airport, but he is not the victim throughout this soap opera. And I can't see him stay after all this drama because of what he has caused and then as a bridge to what happened today when he arrived, I did put those pics. I can't see him stay after this drama (that he has caused) because he and Barca seems to be a mismatch at this point. I hope to see him at PSG in the upcoming Champions League campaign; would make both Neymar and the competition even more interesting. :)

Last edited: