PSG | 2017-18 Performance Thread | Tuchel becomes coach on a two-year deal

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Bonus of 26 Million won't be paid as agreed conditions are not met.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
One of my favorite players as I was younger. I think the main reason is that he was class on and off the pitch as I can remember.
Absolutely, a gentleman on and off the pitch.

In terms of style of play, the video is a good illustration

PSG fans must be in 7th heaven
Look the GIFs and picture in the Neymar thread of an unofficial PSG forum!

http://leforum.culturepsg.com/index.php?showtopic=7126

http://leforum.culturepsg.com/index.php?showtopic=7126&st=20

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
So many pictures on that site. That happens if you don't have restrictions. Literally in every post is this picture. What's the meaning of it?
Didn't understand it also. Maybe tears of joy. @Ecstatic will probably know that. That and reference to Houdini.

Some other pictures and memes did crack me up.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Didn't understand it also. Maybe tears of joy. .
Exactly!

That and reference to Houdini.

Some other pictures and memes did crack me up.
Each forum offers smileys. Some examples:

Red Cafe: :drool: = Culture Psg:

The differences between RedCafe and CulturePSG:

- RedCafe is a global forum while CulturePSG is mainly comprised of posters living in or near Paris
- RedCafe is big forum: just now you have 1500 posters online against 460 posters for Culture Psg. Also CulturePSG: 4,744 members against 36,192 members for RedCafe
- Consequently, CulturePSG prefers to have megathreads (one thread about Zlatan for example) and offers some GIFs like
(pogba lol),
(verratti)
- The forum RedCafe is a modern one: you can't tag a poster on CulturePSG for example

Also, the thread Neymar differs from the others so no moderation for this specific thread :angel:

Houdini is the name of the poster that created the thread about Neymar there: some have appreciated his long text.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Press Conference - Summary

In summary
A summary of what was said:

• Neymar didn’t make this move for the money, and is actually quite offended that anyone might think the wages of about £520,000-a-week were the driving force behind signing for PSG.
  • He’s motivated by the challenge. A new challenge. The challenge of winning the Champions League, broadly, but other challenges as well. Challenges. All about challenges.
  • He’s up for making his debut against Amiens tomorrow, but they’ll have to see about that.
  • He wasn’t motivated by being the big star at PSG, rather than playing second fiddle to Leo Messi at Barca.
  • He’s upset that anyone at Barca might be upset with him. Talked about respect quite a lot.
  • PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi denied all of this was some sort of revenge for Barcelona trying to nab Marco Verratti. He also reckons PSG will make more money than they spent on Neymar through the various marketing hoopla and so forth.
  • Al-Khelaifi also reckons that simply signing Neymar has put about $500m on the value of the club.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Did he leave Barcelona because he had a bad relationship with Messi.

“No, there was no pressure at all. He was my role model. I was quite nervous in my first week at Barcelona, but after that I was relaxed. To play with the best is very easy.”

He thanks Leo for teaching him and stuff.

He’s asked about Ligue 1 being a bit pony.

“A lot of people criticise Ligue 1, and I’ve spoken about it with lots of players who play in Ligue 1, and there’s never an easy game here. PSG has the potential to become the greatest club in the world.”

He’s asked what success at PSG would look like for him:

“I want to write history here. This is the only reason. There are new challenges, and I want to help write the history of the club. Our biggest challenge is the Champions League, but there are other trophies too.”

Neymar is asked if there’s an equivalent player to Messi that he’s looking forward to playing with.

“Here, it’s the club. It’s not one specific player, it’s everyone.”

He then thanks Javier Pastore for handing over his squad number. Definitely JP’s call, that one.

Al-Khelaifi is asked if they want to win the Champions League, and then asked who paid the buyout clause: Neymar, or PSG.

“It’s our dream to win the Champions League, and we’ll fight to do so, but we cannot say we’ll win it this year.

“We paid the buyout clause, not Neymar.”

Al-Khelaifi is asked if he’s unhappy that Barcelona are complaining to UEFA.

“We only care that we worked in a very transparent way, and we did everything legally. I’m not annoyed.”

He’s asked about the manner in which he left, and comparisons to Luis Figo in Barcelona.

“I’ve done nothing bad. I’m sad that the Barcelona fans think that. I’ve never lacked respect for the fans, and I think every player should be allowed to stay or leave a club. You’re not obligated to stay - if you want to leave, that’s it. Once again, I really want to thank all the Barcelona fans, the club, the players, my friends, and I’m sad that people might think that.”

Al-Khelaifi backs this up. “He was a big gentleman in how he left. We were putting pressure on him but he wanted to leave in the best way possible.”

He’s asked when he made his decision.

“I thought everything through. I took my decision two days ago. The coach of Barcelona was the first to know - I respect the club, and the coach. It was a difficult decision, but I’m happy with my decision. God has something planned for me.”

Al-Khelaifi confirms there is a buyout clause in Neymar’s new contract, but doesn’t specify the amount.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Neymar: “Being the most expensive player in the world is not a burden. I weigh 69kg. I don’t have a burden on me.”

Al-Khelaifi is asked about FFP.

“When you think about Neymar as a brand, maybe it won’t be so expensive. We’re definitely going to make more money than we spent. We’ve been very transparent from day one about FFP. There’s no problem with that. We have a team working day and night. For anyone worrying about FFP, I say: don’t worry, go and have a coffee.”

It's not about money. Definitely not about money

Neymar is asked if he considered any other clubs, and what he says to those people who said this move is just about money.

“These people don’t know anything about me. Money was never my motivation. I want to be happy, and I want my family to be happy. I’m really sad to hear that people think this way. If it was just about money, I could have gone somewhere else.

Al-Khelaifi steps in here: “I can guarantee you he didn’t come for money. He could have got more money elsewhere. He came here for the competition, for the challenge. Today it’s very positive for us, and it’s a great moment for us. It’s headlines everywhere in the world - we’re going to talk about this transfer for a long time. He didn’t come for money, he came to win trophies. Thank you again for coming here Neymar.

A message for Barcelona: @serghei

“I have nothing to say really - I’m not sad, I’m really happy. I wrote my chapter there - I won some trophies, I did everything I could there, but you can’t make everyone happy. What I want to say to the fans is: thank you for your friendship.”

Neymar is asked who he spoke to at PSG to make the move.

“It was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve made to move. It wasn’t easy at all to leave Barcelona. I had to think, and re-think, and think again about what I wanted to do. I leave a lot of good friends behind, but that’s football. Of course I would like to thank all my friends at Barcelona, but I felt it was the right time to leave and look for new challenges. I spoke with the Brazilian players at PSG - they are my friends, and I feel at home already.”

Neymar is asked whether being the big star at PSG, rather than Barca, was part of his decision.

“No. It’s not that I wanted to be the big star at Barcelona. That’s not what I’m looking for here. I’m looking for a new challenge, new trophies, and this is what motivates me.”

Neymar is asked why he signed, and whether he made the first step.

“This was about ambition. I wanted a bigger challenge, and my heart made this decision and I followed my heart. I want to help this club achieve and win trophies.”

Neymar speaks: “Thank you Mr President for this new challenge, at PSG, in this wonderful city. I really can’t describe what I’m feeling in my heart. I’m really looking forward to getting started, and to achieve what I want to achieve.”

“Neymar is an idol for the whole world,” says Nasser. “He’s brought so many positive things already. Our fans have always dreamt about having Neymar, and here he is today. Ligue 1 is getting more competitive, and Neymar has signed to win all the trophies we can. We want to win all the trophies we can. Thank you Neymar for coming to PSG, thanks to your family and your staff, and to my staff who worked really hard on this transfer. Welcome Neymar to your new home.”

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG SQUAD & Numbers

1. Kevin Trapp
2. Thiago Silva
3. Presnel Kimpembe
4. Grzegorz Krychowiak
5. Marquinhos
6. Marco Verratti
7. Lucas Moura
8. Thiago Motta
9. Edinson Cavani
10. Neymar Junior
11. Angel Di Maria
12. Thomas Meunier
14. Blaise Matuidi
15. Gonçalo Guedes
16. Alphonse Areola
17. Yuri Berchiche
18. Giovani Lo Celso
19. Serge Aurier
20. Layvin Kurzawa
21. Hatem Ben Arfa
22. Jesé Rodriguez
23. Julian Draxler
24. Christopher Nkunku
25. Adrien Rabiot
27. Javier Pastore
31. Alec Georgen
32. Daniel Alves
34. Lorenzo Callegari
35. Antoine Bernède
36. Jean-Christophe Bahebeck
37. Odsonne Edouard
40. Rémy Descamps
42. Romain Habran

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Neymar didn’t make this move for the money, and is actually quite offended that anyone might think the wages of about £520,000-a-week were the driving force behind signing for PSG.
Come on, not even PSG fans believe that.

If you are still wanted by Real or Barcelona and decide to leave them you are leaving for reasons other than chances of winning a trophy.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy

The move by PSG to recruit Brazilian football player Neymar Da Silva Santos Jr is a play by Qatar to influence diplomacy through sports, French government spokesman Christophe Castaner said in an LCI television interview after the soccer team’s announcement. Qatar must still answer on terrorism and any role it may or may not play in financing it, he said.

Good man.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Come on, not even PSG fans believe that.

If you are still wanted by Real or Barcelona and decide to leave them you are leaving for reasons other than chances of winning a trophy.
There is more to life than success or money, surely? It's not a binary choice.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Houdini is the name of the poster that created the thread about Neymar there: some have appreciated his long text.
My first thought was that it was a reference to the whole transfer. Like, turned the impossible into possible. You know, Houdini kinda stuff. :D

Tnx for other info. Love that Pogba gif.

TsuWave

we should have challenged him to win back to back CL's with United

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have received this PM

I wanted to ask you outside of thread since this is sensitive topic

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and the economics of PSG and City are really something not seen before.

They aren't even a billionaire's toy but a strategic marketing, advertising and public relations long-term investment for their nation's relationship with the west.

A small, rich oil producing nation that wants to distinguish itself from the religious extremists by focusing on business interests that appeal to the West?

To me that seems smart strategy for Abu Dhabi and Qatar. Its a way to massively distinguish their tiny nations and gain favor in the West in case any number of the tension points in the middle east breaks down.

Plus its just known in economics that the middle eastern nations have to diversify. A nation-state cannot live on resource exportation. Its how many empires from Hapsburg Austria-hungary to Soviet Russia had problems.

They cannot maintain economies based solely on selling oil as they have been. Abu Dhabi and Qatar seem the most modern and trying to build infrastructure and industry and relationship with western economics.

sorry to go off topic to football :)
1. It isn't a sensitive topic for me so I copy-paste your post here :)
2. You're right to think their investments are driven by different simultaneous reasons:

- Qatar has acquired PSG in 2011 before they got the WC
- Qatar and Arabic countries on the whole love Football
- They have invested in all the possible economic fields: real estate, farms in Africa/Australia, shares of major companies like Vinci... Diversification is key
- They prepare the post-gas period: shareholders means dividends and potential gains via selings
- Geopolitical considerations as you say
- They like to show off: the pride of being the shareholder of a foreign club blah blah

If a guy wants to marry a woman, he will try to choose somebody who is beautiful AND clever AND funny AND...

Like @Brwned, I don't see life in Binary mode: Neymar hasn't chosen between money and new challenge but both factors.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
So much bullshit from Neymar, but I understand this is a standard PR routine. He says what PSG fans want to hear, which is nice for him.

He moved to PSG for money, to play with many Brazilians and to lead the team to the Champions League title as being the team's best player. In this order. He's not kidding anyone with these statements, except maybe some PSG fans and some really gullible people.

I have nothing against Neymar wanting to be the no1. He probably realized that he is not good enough to lead Barca, as a 30 years old Messi is comfortably better than him, and he moved to PSG where there is no Messi, no Suarez, no Ronaldo. There he is by far the team's best player.

I can respect that. Again, there's an old expression which says 'better to be 1st in a village than 2nd in Rome'. Now PSG is certainly not the football equivalent of a village, but you get the point.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
So much bullshit from Neymar, but I understand this is a standard PR routine. He says what PSG fans want to hear, which is nice for him.

He moved to PSG for money, to play with many Brazilians and to lead the team to the Champions League title as being the team's best player. In this order. He's not kidding anyone with these statements, except maybe some PSG fans and some really gullible people.

I have nothing against Neymar wanting to be the no1. He probably realized that he is not good enough to lead Barca, as a 30 years old Messi is comfortably better than him, and he moved to PSG where there is no Messi, no Suarez, no Ronaldo. There he is by far the team's best player.

I can respect that. Again, there's an old expression which says 'better to be 1st in a village than 2nd in Rome'. Now PSG is certainly not the football equivalent of a village, but you get the point.
LOL

Tanel

You sound sour, just a bit..

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Hmm, do you think he is better than Messi? Even Neymar himself knows he isn't.
Like any big star, Neymar has a big ego so he's confident in his capacity to contribute to the success of any team whoever his teammates.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Like any big star, Neymar has a big ego so he's confident in his capacity to contribute to the success of any team whoever his teammates.
Well, I'm sure he is, and I already said I respect a player wanting to be number one. But Neymar should have taken the no1 spot at Barcelona on the field, by being better than Messi. He clearly is not. And instead of earning the no1 spot by matching the greatness of Messi on the field, he went to a team that is willing to give him the no1 spot from the first 10 mins in training. Instead of raising his level to meet a higher demand, he chose to lower the bar so he can be the best right now.

Staying at a big team and becoming the best player of that team among world class stars, including the best ever (arguably) is a harder task than going to a lesser team, in a weak league, where you'll be the best player from the get go. All the bullshit in the world won't change that. Taking the reigns from the best ever at Barcelona would have been his greatest feat. He would've become a legend. He chose the easy way out, after realizing that he is not good enough to become the main man at Barca right now.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Well, I'm sure he does, and I already said I respect a player wanting to be number one. But Neymar should have taken the no1 spot at Barcelona on the field, by being better than Messi. He clearly is not. And instead of earning the no1 spot by matching the greatness of Messi on the field, he went to a team that is willing to give him the no1 spot from the first 10 mins in training.

Staying at a big team and becoming the best player of that team among world class stars, including the best ever (arguably) is a harder task than going to a lesser team, in a weak league, where you'll be the best player from the get go. All the bullshit in the world won't change that. Taking the reigns from the best ever at Barcelona would have been his greatest feat. He would've become a legend. He chose the easy way out, after realizing that he is not good enough to become the main man at Barca right now.
Let's agree to disagree here :)

MJJ

Yeah that is why you are so salty about his move.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Yeah that is why you are so salty about his move.
Well, what can I say... I'm a romanticist in football. I believe in the passing on the torch, so when the guy who's supposed to receive the torch bails out, you have to feel a bit disappointed. But at the end of the day, Neymar didn't become the best player at Barca because he didn't have what it takes. He does have what it takes to be the best player at PSG though.

Kostur

海尔的老板
One thing I cannot understand is always the 'I didn't move here for money' talk. I mean sure, this doesn't have to be the main aim, even in this move, but this whole talk always sounds like getting a hefty pay raise is a bad thing.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
One thing I cannot understand is always the 'I didn't move here for money' talk. I mean sure, this doesn't have to be the main aim, even in this move, but this whole talk always sounds like getting a hefty pay raise is a bad thing.
The part that really got me confused was 'If it was just about money, I could have gone somewhere else.'

Like where would you go if you cared the most about money in football? Sporting Gijon?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because in Europe people will criticize you until the end of times if you publicly admit that you wanted to get paid. We are a bunch of hypocrites.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well, what can I say... I'm a romanticist in football. I believe in the passing on the torch, so when the guy who's supposed to receive the torch bails out, you have to feel a bit disappointed. But at the end of the day, Neymar didn't become the best player at Barca because he didn't have what it takes. He does have what it takes to be the best player at PSG though.
There was nothing romantic about Neymar signing for Barca from Santos in the first place.

MuranoLover

I must be honest - I am jealous of PSG having Neymar and if there was even a 1% financial chance of us buying him , I would be mad if we did not try to .

Aza Boy

He probably realized that he is not good enough to lead Barca, as a 30 years old Messi is comfortably better than him, and he moved to PSG where there is no Messi, no Suarez, no Ronaldo. There he is by far the team's best player.
Without Neymar, there will be no magic win against PSG. Hundred millions eyes witnessed it.

Messi himself did a little in those 2 legs.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Last season, PSG sold Lucas Digne to Barcelona for 20 millions of euros.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

On the right, the President of PSG: Nasser El Khelaifi
On the left, let's say it's a friend

Nasser "Barcelona told me that PSG couldn't recruit Neymar because PSG doesn't respect the FFP'
Friend: "What was your answer?"
Nasser: "No problem. What is the cost of FFP?"