PSG | 2017-18 Performance Thread | Tuchel becomes coach on a two-year deal

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I have received this PM

1. It isn't a sensitive topic for me so I copy-paste your post here :)
2. You're right to think their investments are driven by different simultaneous reasons:

- Qatar has acquired PSG in 2011 before they got the WC
- Qatar and Arabic countries on the whole love Football
- They have invested in all the possible economic fields: real estate, farms in Africa/Australia, shares of major companies like Vinci... Diversification is key
- They prepare the post-gas period: shareholders means dividends and potential gains via selings
- Geopolitical considerations as you say
- They like to show off: the pride of being the shareholder of a foreign club blah blah

If a guy wants to marry a woman, he will try to choose somebody who is beautiful AND clever AND funny AND...

Like @Brwned, I don't see life in Binary mode: Neymar hasn't chosen between money and new challenge but both factors.
If PSG had offered him exactly the same money as he was on at Barcelona, do you think he would have moved?

wr8_utd

:'(
Not sure why the Barca fan on the previous page is being called bitter? He acknowledges Neymar as a great player and understands his need to leave but nothing wrong in what he's said. Neymar just isn't better than Messi and he knows that too. Maybe he would be in 2-3 years.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If PSG had offered him exactly the same money as he was on at Barcelona, do you think he would have moved?
If Barca offered him same money as he was on at Santos, do you think he would have moved? I don't think so, he would have moved elsewhere.

ti vu

At £198m there were no other suitors asides PSG.
Not now, but if Neymar makes noise the whole season he wanted out then it's different ball game altogether. Other clubs would have plan to work so. Look PSG transfer spending this summer pretty much the same amount as other top spenders atm. Even if it's upfront 200mil having time to prepare it's affordable. Paying in instalment for similar amount for many other players still requires big cash up front as other clubs also need money to reinvest. Nobody would take tree fiddle payment over the years. Neymar signing has huge impact commercial dealing so, the spike of revenue comes the close of next year would be sufficient to meet any financial regulations in case the club plays the card right (have a plan).

Last edited:

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Like no one else than Rosell agreed to the deal he made with Neymar, a deal that sent him in front of judges.
Then how come Barca made so many illegal payments?

Neymar moved to make more money, now he moved to make even more.
Barcelona offered such a financial package to Neymar because they had to outbid rival suitors who were also prepared to stump up the required fee to Santos. You can bet if it was Barcelona or bust for Neymar he'd have still made the move away from Santos for the prospect of Barcelona alone, wage increase or not.

PSG had no rival suitors as there was no-one else prepared to meet the £198m buyout clause, they were only financially outbidding Barcelona whilst knowing exactly what the rival terms were. The answer to my question therefore tells us what the primary motivation for Neymar's move was - money or ambition.

You don't have to care or deem it important but it's obviously money, and it's wrong to intimate that every move ever made by a player is for that. Then again maybe Neymar just desperately needed that extra private island to land his jet, could be perfectly understandable.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Barcelona offered such a financial package to Neymar because they had to outbid rival suitors who were also prepared to stump up the required fee to Santos. You can bet if it was Barcelona or bust for Neymar he'd have still made the move away from Santos for the prospect of Barcelona alone, wage increase or not.

PSG had no rival suitors as there was no-one else prepared to meet the £198m buyout clause, they were only financially outbidding Barcelona whilst knowing exactly what the rival terms were. The answer to my question therefore tells us what the primary motivation for Neymar's move was - money or ambition.

You don't have to care or deem it important but it's obviously money, and it's wrong to intimate that every move ever made by a player is for that. Then again maybe Neymar just desperately needed that extra private island to land his jet, could be perfectly understandable.
You don't have a clue about what Neymar would have done if Barcelona didn't made that offer. For all you know, he could have signed for any other big club Real Madrid and Bayern being obvious candidates. The reality is that Barcelona made an offer that no one was willing to make, the same way PSG made an offer that probably no one else would have made. In fact this transfer tells you that Neymar could have gone anywhere from Santos as long as the financial package suited him and his father.

ti vu

Urg, Barcelona was not exactly outbid Madrid for Neymar. Here talking about total fee involved. The only thing is Barcelona is messed up enough to go that route to cheat behind Santos back to get more money for Neymar & his associates. Evidence? Bale. He has much less commercial value, and bigger gamble for clean world record fee without hindsight.

You can spin it as Neymar was motivated to move to Barcelona for the money, but remember that despite Messi's shadow, there is a zone in the team Neymar can bed in and plant his influence. At Madrid, he would be up to compete with Ronaldo or compromise with a different new role. So there is a football reason behind it too.

Edit: can we move this to Neymar thread instead. More interesting in PSG as a whole here.

Last edited:

Trizy

Can't wait to knock both Barca and PSG out of the CL without us having Neymar.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
You don't have a clue about what Neymar would have done if Barcelona didn't made that offer. For all you know, he could have signed for any other big club Real Madrid and Bayern being obvious candidates. The reality is that Barcelona made an offer that no one was willing to make, the same way PSG made an offer that probably no one else would have made. In fact this transfer tells you that Neymar could have gone anywhere from Santos as long as the financial package suited him and his father.
I think you've missed the point.

We need to forget finances for a second, also forget there's any other clubs in the world except Santos, Barcelona and PSG - just answering yes or no, answer these two questions:

-Would Neymar have left Santos for Barcelona on equal pay?

-Would Neymar have left Barcelona for PSG on equal pay?

JPRouve

Scout

We need to forget finances for a second, also forget there's any other clubs in the world except Santos, Barcelona and PSG - just answering yes or no, answer these two questions:

I don't know that's the only acceptable answer.

ti vu

Thing is football & financial mutually related. I meant Santos is not smaller club than Barcelona in term of winning thing. They only happen to be in South America where they can't get the finance through their success as much as Barcelona can. Let say South America is always as wealthy as North America, then Santos achievemnt would be more appreciated & European counter part wouldn't have much to boast.I meant imagine a scenario South American clubs with strong finance throughout history producing "special" players. No way those players would leave their hometown to take risk for equal pay playing for foreign clubs where they can be much bigger hero in their childhood clubs. South Amaerican great players ain't all just unloyal bunch like they're being portrayed. The circumstance doesn't allow them, that's it. Many of them could have been the Maldinis Giggs Scholes..., if their home country & hometown club is as strong financially, thus appreciated as much by history.

Yes. On equal pay Neymar would still go for Barcelona (if that's the only option) because at Barcelona he has better platform to get more money by increasing his incoming through his image. So yes again, money talk creep in.

On equal pay with Barcelona did not the messy thing behind Santos back to "outpay" to Neymar & his associates' pocket, then Madrid should be better destination as Madrid is a better platform to build his image up &I get him more money through the front door. So yes, money talk creep in.

The point is this is life, where thing mutually related. The scenario you brought up is out of this world as for what I brought up another unrealistic scenario where where everything is on equal term (South America finance situation is always as good)

Edit: the first paragraph I wrote too long then I forget one big idea I got on my mind. Fill it out now. It's pretty a thing now that to get any claim as world best player, one need to prove himself in Europe. Which previously at one point was not a thing for the like of Pele. If not for how life's goes, and Santos, South American football always maintains gap with European counter part as that time, there is possibility, Neymar is still at Santos trying to equal Pele's goal record.

Last edited:

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Thing is football & financial mutually related. I meant Santos is not smaller club than Barcelona in term of winning thing. They only happen to be in South America where they can't get the finance through their success as much as Barcelona can. Let say South America is always as wealthy as North America, then Santos achievemnt would be more appreciated & European counter part wouldn't have much to boast.I meant imagine a scenario South American clubs with strong finance throughout history producing "special" players. No way those players would leave their hometown to take risk for equal pay playing for foreign clubs where they can be much bigger hero in their childhood clubs. South Amaerican great players ain't all just unloyal bunch like they're being portrayed. The circumstance doesn't allow them, that's it. Many of them could have been the Maldinis Giggs Scholes..., if their home country & hometown club is as strong financially, thus appreciated as much by history.

Yes. On equal pay Neymar would still go for Barcelona (if that's the only option) because at Barcelona he has better platform to get more money by increasing his incoming through his image. So yes again, money talk creep in.

On equal pay with Barcelona did not the messy thing behind Santos back to "outpay" to Neymar & his associates' pocket, then Madrid should be better destination as Madrid is a better platform to build his image up &I get him more money through the front door. So yes, money talk creep in.

The point is this is life, where thing mutually related. The scenario you brought up is out of this world as for what I brought up another unrealistic scenario where where everything is on equal term (South America finance situation is always as good)
Whether money plays a part in football is not being debated, it's whether it's the primary reason or a kicker for this move.

Obviously if South America offered the same prestigious glory and wealth that European football does then their players would stay, but it doesn't and they have to move to further their careers in a "do what you love and the money will follow" scenario. Neymar has basically tried to reverse that saying and willingly taken a hit on his career; I'd say that move is quite unusual.

ti vu

Whether money plays a part in football is not being debated, it's whether it's the primary reason or a kicker for this move.

Obviously if South America offered the same prestigious glory and wealth that European football does then their players would stay, but it doesn't and they have to move to further their careers in a "do what you love and the money will follow" scenario. Neymar has basically tried to reverse that saying and willingly taken a hit on his career; I'd say that move is quite unusual.
The final part of your post is yet to be decided. In case Neymar wins World Best Player award then he would justify his motive. It's always better to judge closer to the end than the start. The possibility is still open for Neymar to prove himself.

Thing with staying at Barcelona it is not possible to get out of Messi shadow. I meant, Neymar was catalyst to that game where Barcelona did the impossible in order to beat PSG to advance, yet it's still Messi team in the end of the day. Day for day, match for match analysis, Messi is the better player. Winning POTY, however, making key impact is sufficient enough. Look at how Zidane at his last kick of his career & Cannavaro, even Brazilian Ronaldo did in the World Cup to get the award while arguably some players got robbed out of their whole season performance.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
The final part of your post is yet to be decided. In case Neymar wins World Best Player award then he would justify his motive. It's always better to judge closer to the end than the start. The possibility is still open for Neymar to prove himself.

Thing with staying at Barcelona it is not possible to get out of Messi shadow. I meant, Neymar was catalyst to that game where Barcelona did the impossible in order to beat PSG to advance, yet it's still Messi team in the end of the day. Day for day, match for match analysis, Messi is the better player. Winning POTY, however, making key impact is sufficient enough. Look at how Zidane at his last kick of his career & Cannavaro, even Brazilian Ronaldo did in the World Cup to get the award while arguably some players got robbed out of their whole season performance.
If the second part of my post is wrong then the answer to my question about would Neymar have moved to PSG for equal pay is yes.

Which begs the question why did PSG offer it?

ti vu

If the second part of my post is wrong then the answer to my question about would Neymar have moved to PSG for equal pay is yes.

Which begs the question why did PSG offer it?
So repeat my point again for equal wage which Neymar was previously on at Barcelona, there are quite few clubs can offer that which Neymar would have move to in case the groundwork were being done during the season.

Neymar is entitled for a pay rise which Barcelona refused. Again other clubs beside PSG can offer that. The release clause to pay in one go is the problem. Only after Barcelona triggered PSG by unsettling Verratti which through his former agent disrespected PSG, thing escalated faster. Neymar wanted to move out Messi's shadow is not first heard now, mind.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@ti vu

Please don't lose your time mate :)

He doesn't want to understand money is just one factor amongst others. Primary or not? We don't care.

Seij

The answer to my question therefore tells us what the primary motivation for Neymar's move was - money or ambition.

That sweet extra 64M for Neymar's dad from this transfer probably played a role somewhere.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
So repeat my point again for equal wage which Neymar was previously on at Barcelona, there are quite few clubs can offer that which Neymar would have move to in case the groundwork were being done during the season.

Neymar is entitled for a pay rise which Barcelona refused. Again other clubs beside PSG can offer that. The release clause to pay in one go is the problem. Only after Barcelona triggered PSG by unsettling Verratti which through his former agent disrespected PSG, thing escalated faster. Neymar wanted to move out Messi's shadow is not first heard now, mind.
Neymar is not worth £198m to anyone except PSG, this year or next, most other clubs already have the global exposure through their league that PSG needed through Neymar. If Neymar was so desperate to leave Messi's shadow PSG could have offered him the same pay as at Barcelona.

@ti vu

Please don't lose your time mate :)

He doesn't want to understand money is just one factor amongst others. Primary or not? We don't care.
Why make a statement that would require you to have read my previous posts to make when you clearly haven't?

ti vu

Neymar is not worth £198m to anyone except PSG, this year or next, most other clubs already have the global exposure through their league that PSG needed through Neymar. If Neymar was so desperate to leave Messi's shadow PSG could have offered him the same pay as at Barcelona.
Same can be said about when he got upgraded wage & plenty of cut behind Santos back to move Barcelona in the first place. Why paid him that much when he is coming inferior league knowing he's desperate to make a name in a Europe? Or Barcelona knows he has potential that he eventually justify his fee losing. Please remember at this point Barcelona still a force to be reckon without the inclusion of Neymar, and Bale was signed after.

Or better example is why Cristino Ronaldo moved to his dream club but still got upgraded wage package. Shouldn't Madrid ask him to take similar wage given he was desperate for the move &a they had to deeply broke the previous world transfer record fee & spent much more other Galaticos. Remember Madrid has failed in CL constantly at this point since he can't get to semi finalist stage for quite a while & continued to do so with Ronaldo in the first season. We are superior team also. It was backward move from us to Madrid at this point, yet Ronaldo wanted to move. This must be solely about the money with the logic you used I think? Achievement wise, it took quite a while for Ronaldo to prove his motive, yet I doubt money is sole reason for this move. Ronaldo fee was said to be crazy at the time. Not anymore.

I know PSG is hardly anyone's dream club as a kid, but it has big ambition with Neymar has his own personal drive. As I said let time answer. You don't judge a book by its cover, neither by the first page. It's pretty much within possibility for these 2 to justify their decisions.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Same can be said about when he got upgraded wage & plenty of cut behind Santos back to move Barcelona in the first place. Why paid him that much when he is coming inferior league knowing he's desperate to make a name in a Europe? Or Barcelona knows he has potential that he eventually justify his fee losing. Please remember at this point Barcelona still a force to be reckon without the inclusion of Neymar, and Bale was signed after.

Or better example is why Cristino Ronaldo moved to his dream club but still got upgraded wage package. Shouldn't Madrid ask him to take similar wage given he was desperate for the move &a they had to deeply broke the previous world transfer record fee & spent much more other Galaticos. Remember Madrid has failed in CL constantly at this point since he can't get to semi finalist stage for quite a while & continued to do so with Ronaldo in the first season. We are superior team also. It was backward move from us to Madrid at this point, yet Ronaldo wanted to move. This must be solely about the money with the logic you used I think? Achievement wise, it took quite a while for Ronaldo to prove his motive, yet I doubt money is sole reason for this move. Ronaldo fee was said to be crazy at the time. Not anymore.

I know PSG is hardly anyone's dream club as a kid, but it has big ambition with Neymar has his own personal drive. As I said let time answer. You don't judge a book by its cover, neither by the first page. It's pretty much within possibility for these 2 to justify their decisions.
We already covered that Barcelona were competing with other clubs for Neymar at the time; with Ronaldo it was pretty clear that it was his dream since being a boy to play for Real Madrid - his mother wouldn't shut up about it - and despite their lack of European form compared to ourselves they were still indisputably the bigger, richer and more prestigious club. However he also loved Manchester United and there was competing interest from Barcelona which strengthened his hand.

I have never argued that players never receive salary increases when they move clubs, just about whether it is always the defining factor. The salary increase of about £40k per week that Ronaldo took was obviously nice - he took it because he could - but bares no resemblance to the outlandish pay increase Neymar took to go to PSG, and to answer the obvious follow up question yes I do think Ronaldo would still have left Manchester United for Real Madrid even with no pay increase.

ti vu

We already covered that Barcelona were competing with other clubs for Neymar at the time; with Ronaldo it was pretty clear that it was his dream since being a boy to play for Real Madrid - his mother wouldn't shut up about it - and despite their lack of European form compared to ourselves they were still indisputably the bigger, richer and more prestigious club. However he also loved Manchester United and there was competing interest from Barcelona which strengthened his hand.

I have never argued that players never receive salary increases when they move clubs, just about whether it is always the defining factor. The salary increase of about £40k per week that Ronaldo took was obviously nice - he took it because he could - but bares no resemblance to the outlandish pay increase Neymar took to go to PSG, and to answer the obvious follow up question yes I do think Ronaldo would still have left Manchester United for Real Madrid even with no pay increase.
When you talk about PSG wage increases for Neymar, did you forget the money that went behind Santos into Neymar &a his associates' pocket. That money, plus whatever wage Neymar on would amount pretty similar to Neymar wage at PSG. PSG is cleanly paid Neymar thus prevented some situation like Barcelona did with Neymar.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
When you talk about PSG wage increases for Neymar, did you forget the money that went behind Santos into Neymar &a his associates' pocket. That money, plus whatever wage Neymar on would amount pretty similar to Neymar wage at PSG. PSG is cleanly paid Neymar thus prevented some situation like Barcelona did with Neymar.
We already discussed that Barcelona did what they had to do the beat off the competition for Neymar, you don't need to convince me they're a dirty and despicable club, I no longer see the relevance of that?

Though I'm not sure a club run by those who are more used to writing cheques out for ISIS can ever be considered "clean" but that's another matter :lol:

ti vu

We already discussed that Barcelona did what they had to do the beat off the competition for Neymar, you don't need to convince me they're a dirty and despicable Ney club, I no longer see the relevance of that?

Though I'm not sure a club run by those who are more used to writing cheques out for ISIS can ever be considered "clean" but that's another matter :lol:
No. I meant they already paid Neymar bonus on top of the wage, which combined should not be far off PSG has to pay annually after tax :wenger:

The money comes to Neymar should be clean as it through the clean pipe into France. Down the pipe, however it remains clean or not depended on whether how well Neymar paying his tax. Neymar to terrorize some poor defenders though, I guess so if still consider that dirty, I can concede defeat.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
No. I meant they already paid Neymar bonus on top of the wage, which combined should not be far off PSG has to pay annually after tax :wenger:

The money comes to Neymar should be clean as it through the clean pipe into France. Down the pipe, however it remains clean or not depended on whether how well Neymar paying his tax. Neymar to terrorize some poor defenders though, I guess so if still consider that dirty, I can concede defeat.
If indeed you do have a copy of Neymar's bank logs showing these illicit payments you should give it to the police.

Yakuza_devils

PSG have signed Neymar and is very close to complete Dembele signing while also heavily linked to Mbappe. If they can sign these 3 superstars in one window and somehow comply with FFP then PSG will be the new super power in football. Their spending really sets them apart even compared to club like Real, Barca and United. City will soon follow their blueprint.

Few years from now, PSG will have all the best 'galaticos' like what Real used to have. Ironically, Real galaticos era was less successful than now. However, PSG is backed by oil rich state and they can do this in much bigger scale than Real's galaticos era.

JPRouve

Scout
Punished as in what? A fine? :lol: The punishment must be severe enough to not make it worth the risk of breaking the rules. Everything related to money doesn't affect them.
That deal has been cut in half by the UEFA in 2012, last year they accepted a deal worth 175m per year on the basis that PSG's increased visibility warranted it.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nothing is official but the next step is very probably to remove the sponsor Emirates (uae) to get the former sponsor of Barcelona...Qatar Airways.

Qatar Airways world pay an amount in line with the sponsoring market for elite clubs. Massive upside financially.

Add the fact that nike will .be urged To review his financial contribution.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Neymar should be playing this weekend at the Roudourou in Guingamp, stadium capacity is 18k while the commune has a population of less than half that