PSG and Leipzig - We’ll never get out of the group!

El Zoido

We just needed to beat Basaksehir and blew it. Frustrating. Still think we’ll qualify.

Rajma

Lost the H2H on PSG now, so a win in Leipzig only gets us 2nd if PSG do the business.
Yeah that was moronic I thought chasing the game recklessly like that having this in mind. Doesn’t look good on Ole at all.

McTerminator

Bad decision by Ole to leave Fred on the pitch tonight, think we can all agree on that.

However, we played adecent game and the only people who should be embarrassed tonight are the clowns on this forum imploding and ranting about what a terrible useless manager Ole is.

you can argue that tonights bad decision is proof that Ole ultimately won’t last at United long term. However if you want to retain an ounce of credibility gain some perspective and make a balanced argument rather than these unhinges rants because we lost a game.

TLDR: if you want to spout vehement abuse about Ole on the forum for tonight’s poor decision not to sub Fred... grow up and learn to have an adult discussion.

SAFMUTD

The feck up was in Instabul we should have never lost that one.

McTerminator

Yeah that was moronic I thought chasing the game recklessly like that having this in mind. Doesn’t look good on Ole at all.
There are many times I have known second in the group to get the better tie. Do we know who plays who yet?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I said the game in Turkey cost us qualification, doesn't matter what we did tonight it was always going to go PSG's way (they were never going to go out at the group stage)

Not a hope of us avoiding defeat in Germany

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Nah, think it was the right thing to do. We weren’t reckless. It happens. We couldn’t accept the 1-2 loss.

Acquire Me

Not looking good now.

Martial, again missing gilt edge chances. Top strikers get a sniff and score. Martial is NOT a top striker.

OGS also to blame for shambolic ingame management. Shocking
Top striker must be priority. No excuses. We should have scored enough to bring this home as well.

Ole also bottled it when he did not substitute Fred. Very poor decision.

Red00012

I said the game in Turkey cost us qualification, doesn't matter what we did tonight it was always going to go PSG's way (they were never going to go out at the group stage)

2 hopes - a win or a draw

el3mel

Ehhh I hate to say it but I remember saying after RP win against PSG that the group is open and anyone can pass.

Siorac

We just needed to beat Basaksehir and blew it. Frustrating. Still think we’ll qualify.
It's maddening. I'm pretty much convinced we're out because if we're 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go in Leipzig, we'll proceed to have three players sent off and score four own goals.

Colin Clarke

Losing tonight means we now need a result in Germany but the result does highlight a couple of things wrong at United. 1, a terrible back four. Lindelof, Maguire, Wan Bisaka and Telles might be good players but they don't make a good defence and definitely not one you can rely on. We looked at six and sevens for the first two goals and nobody seems to be in charge. 2. Ole doesn't protect his players or has a second game plan. It was obvious that PSG where targeting Fred in the first half and he was lucky not to be sent off in the 1st half, but Ole should have replaced him at halftime, we had Matic, Pogba and Van De Beek on the bench. Yes the second yellow was harsh but a good manager protecting his players would have taken Fred out of the firing line. Now we don't have him for the Leipzig game, so Ole is going to have to change tack.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

feck me some fans are absolutely pathetic

U99ted

Still top, goal difference
Yes, but strangely, while we go into the final game in 1st, we can win and still drop to 2nd. That's because with a 3 way tie, goal difference is used. With a 2 way tie (if we beat Leipzig & PSG beat Instabul), head to head records are used. Sadly losing 1-3 instead of 1-2 tonight means PSG have the better head to head.

We're still in a decent position to go through though!

el3mel

Yes, but strangely, while we go into the final game in 1st, we can win and still drop to 2nd. That's because with a 3 way tie, goal difference is used. With a 2 way tie (if we beat Leipzig & PSG beat Instabul), head to head records are used. Sadly losing 1-3 instead of 1-2 tonight means PSG have the better head to head.

We're still in a decent position to go through though!
We're not first. PSG are ahead of us thanks to their result today. The combined results of home and away matches determine who's first, not goal difference in CL.

PSG win their last game and they're guaranteed top spot no matter what.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
We will have a final to play against Leipzig. Not the picture I've imagined after our first 2 games.

U99ted

We're not first. PSG are ahead of us thanks to their result today. The combined results of home and away matches determine who's first, not goal difference in CL.

PSG win their last game and they're guaranteed top spot no matter what.
Ah, yes, my mistake. Just need to concentrate on getting through with a result in Germany.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Leipzig aren't that good without Werner. They need a win, Utd needs just a draw.

I'm not worried.

kidbob

If we go through we'll have to play Dortmund, Bayern, or Barcelona
We are more than capable of beating any of them except Bayern. In fact I'd fancy us against the other two. The main problem is getting qualified which I'm worried about now.

ti vu

Yeah it's a similar situation with Shakhtar and Real Madrid isn't it
Yes.

Dang. Now it's nervy as feck going to Germany when we have West Ham and City in between.

Would have been more comfortable in CL, to focus on the league if not for that game in Turkey.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This thread has aged like milk

If you’re in a “group of death” and you lose to the whipping boys you’re always going to be in big big trouble.

Sylar

I kinda wish we needed a win. It seems we play better going for it rather than trying to be conservative

Saying that, at 1-1 we didn't need to overcommit and could have played it safe by taking off the man on the yellow who goes into tackles and challenges

kidbob

Also isn't the fact that we are in a position to qualify outdoing most expectations here already? You can't look at the group and say we have no chance and then bitch and moan when it turns out we have a very real chance of qualifying. Either you accept we are shit or else you reassess how you view us as a team.

ti vu

I kinda wish we needed a win. It seems we play better going for it rather than trying to be conservative

Saying that, at 1-1 we didn't need to overcommit and could have played it safe by taking off the man on the yellow who goes into tackles and challenges
Dude. Don't put strain on our heart.

We don't need to win in our final game, especially with PSG likely wrap up the top spot...

croadyman

Yes.

Dang. Now it's nervy as feck going to Germany when we have West Ham and City in between.

Would have been more comfortable in CL, to focus on the league if not for that game in Turkey.
Yeah bloody frustrating that City have the luxury of resting players before the derby and we don't but that's our own fault